I had always been fascinated by the Saiyan-Tuffle War, and this story was my attempt to explore that period of Saiyan history I found so interesting. At first, this story was just a nebulous idea in my head. I had thought of writing this as early as late 2012 and had brought it up with both Destructivedisk and Hyper Zergling several times before I made the page. I really wanted to write this story in collaboration with Hyper Zergling since I didn't think I could tell the story without mentioning his Saiyans (since his characters are canon to my universe, as a result of our previous collaboration - Dragon Ball: Cold Vengeance). I remember being hesitant to bring it up since Hyper Zergling didn't have a good experience with writing CV. He felt very embarrassed by the dialogue he wrote in that story, saying that I often re-wrote it to make it better. That said, I thought this story could be different if we handled it differently - namely, we would each write different sections, not editing one another's sections too much. This was a grand idea, but it didn't exactly work out in in practice.
Hyper Zergling did sign on to the story rather easily, to my surprise. We created the page for The Great War in April of 2013 and began brainstorming the plot at that time. We soon created the characters of Zhukin and Amanito, who became central characters in the story. Our early brainstorming led us to dividing the story into three sections - Saiyan unification (Vegeta uniting the tribes to challenge the Tuffles); Saiyan-Tuffle War; and post-war stuff. Because we divided the story like this, we realized that we needed main villains for the larger sections. Zhukin became the grand Saiyan antagonist and Amanito became the Tuffle general whom Vegeta fought against during the entire 10 year war. This was very important for the story to take shape. Without us creating Amanito, I don't think this story could have worked.
The Saiyan unification was inspired by the Mongolian campaign from the video game, Age of Empires II. In the first mission of that campaign, the Mongolians are tasked with uniting various Mongol tribes to form an empire. I thought it would work rather well for the Saiyans, since the Saiyans are very similar to the Mongols in appearance and temperance (not to mention, they live in similar climates). To make this section work, we had to define the number of Saiyan tribes. I didn't want there to be too many, so we created seven. I was originally going to have eight tribes to reference that being a lucky number in Chinese. Hyper Zergling thought that would be too many, so we reduced it to seven. The next task was coming up with the tribe leaders. I knew Vegeta, Zhukin, and Nappa would be ones off the bat. Then, I searched through Dragon Ball wiki for all of the Saiyan articles and figured out which canon Saiyans I could use for the other tribes. I wanted to have as many canon Saiyans be tribe leaders as possible. This is how I came up with Zorn and Paragus being tribe leaders. We then had Hyper Zergling's Saiyan Dogom (the father of his main Saiyan, Cuber) take over another tribe. I had to create the last Saiyan as well, since there were no other suitable canon Saiayns to be leaders (Bardock couldn't be one, since he was considered a low-class Saiyan later on). Thus, Creissa was born. Afterwards, I came up with populations for each tribe which became the basis for their hierarchy. The larger tribes were more powerful, and thus posed a bigger threat to Vegeta. I put all of the tribes together on this page for my own reference for the story. Notice that Vegeta is a leader of a mid-ranking tribe. This was important for me. I didn't want him to start out as the best or worst, since that would be cliche. Putting him in the middle of the pack allowed me to have Vegeta conquer the smaller tribes too. This is why he conquers Creissa's, Zorn's, and Paragus' tribes in the very first chapter. They all have less soldiers, so they are easier for him to conquer. Then, he moves on to Dogom, then Nappa, and finally Zhukin. As he gains more soldiers with each tribe conquered, his tribe eventually outnumbers Zhukin's, allowing them to challenge the great Saiyan. That's the basis for the first section. The populations were carefully constructed so that Vegeta would have a larger tribe than Zhukin's after he conquered the other five tribes (accounting for casualties taken during the conquering).
The second section, the actual Saiyan-Tuffle War, is built upon having a strong Tuffle antagonist who can challenge Vegeta and the Saiyans. Since the Tuffles are supposedly peaceful people, I needed a Tuffle who wasn't like the rest, otherwise I think Vegeta would have easily won the war in less than 10 years. I remember spending a lot of time with Hyper Zergling coming up with Amanito's personality and his role in the story. We didn't come up with the rest of the named Tuffles until their introduction in the story, however. The structure of the war was that we were going to show a few major battles and a lot of minor conflicts. There's always a few major battles in any war, and we didn't think that on a planet-wide conflict there would be only one. So we built the second section around the ebb and flow of war - a major battle, then some smaller ones, then another large battle, etc.
We also decided early on that we were following anime canon with this war. The Saiyan-Tuffle war has different histories in different media, so we had to define what we were using. We didn't see GT as canon, so we disregarded everything said about the Saiyans and Tuffles there. That left King Kai's account in anime filler as the primary background for this story, as the Tuffles aren't really mentioned in the manga. Of course, this brought up an immediate problem that no one seems to realize or address on Dragon Ball wiki - the time cycle of full moons. If we go by King Kai's account, there is a full moon every 8 years. But, the Saiyan-Tuffle War was 10 years long. That means that there would have been a full moon two years into the war as well as the full moon during the end of the war. Obviously, this is a major plothole in the story. If the Saiyans became Great Apes two years into the war, then they would have won at that time. The only explanation is that they didn't. So Hyper Zergling and I came up with the idea of the moon shields to rectify this.
Other than that, we mapped out the specifics of chapters just before writing them. We wrote all chapters save for the first one over a shared google doc. Hyper Zergling primarily wrote scenes involving his characters (though I wrote a few for his characters). I'm not sure if he wrote any scenes not involving his characters, but I don't think he did. He did about one scene per chapter, though there is one that he did two scenes in and a few he didn't do any scenes in (I'll talk about those in the below endnotes). I wrote the majority of this story, just like with Cold Vengeance. We mostly wrote our own sections and then just put them together, though there was a little editing by both of us. I edited Hyper Zergling's sections somewhat and he did the same for mine. I think he liked writing this story more than he did with CV since he was able to have more fun with the battle scenes and didn't have to worry about writing for the plot too much.
This story was written very sporadically. Sometimes we would release a chapter every week, sometimes we wouldn't release one for months. This was due to a variety of factors. Sometimes Hyper Zergling couldn't write, sometimes I was busy, sometimes neither of us wanted to write it. My original goal was to finish this story before 2015, but I was unable to do to various things going on in my own life. We almost did it (we could have released 10 of the 11 chapters in 2015 if I had had a bit more free time). During the summer of 2014, I didn't write much of this story due to me working on so many other stories at that time. But during the fall/winter of 2014, this story was my focus and it was Hyper Zergling's too, which is why we released so many chapters during that time. I should also mention that we created the page for The Great War in April 2013 and didn't write the first chapter until March of 2014. This is primarily because I was working on other stories at the time and wanted to finish them before moving on to a new project (TGW). Once I had finished most of my other projects, I sat down with Hyper Zergling, went over the first chapter, and then we wrote it.
Other than that, there isn't too much to say. I won't be bolding Hyper Zergling's sections because we edited the whole document together and there are various lines in each of our "sections" that the other user wrote or modified.
Please note: The person referred to as Vegeta in this story is King Vegeta, the father of the Vegeta seen in Dragon Ball Z. There are a few scenes where both of these characters are present. In those scenes, they are distinguished by being called "King Vegeta" and "Prince Vegeta" respectively.
<THE ROYAL PALACE>
<KING VEGETA AND HIS SON, PRINCE VEGETA, ARE STANDING IN THE TALLEST TOWER OF THE PALACE, LOOKING DOWN ON THE SAIYAN KINGDOM FROM THE NEAREST WINDOW; THEY BOTH HAVE THEIR ARMS FOLDED; SEVERAL SPACE PODS FLY BY; BELOW THAT IN THE CITY, NUMEROUS SAIYANS ARE WALKING AROUND, MAKING THEMSELVES BUSY>
King Vegeta: <TURNS AND PATS HIS SON ON THE SHOULDER> All of this will be yours one day, Vegeta.
Prince Vegeta: <SHRUGS HIM OFF; RAISES HIS CHIN IN INDIGNATION> Hmph, they’re just a bunch of weaklings. Why should I care about such trash?
King Vegeta: <STERN> We Saiyans are a warrior race, my son. Every one of us. We are the greatest fighters in the galaxy! Our pride knows no equal. Even the weakest among us is a powerful fighter. And when you leave this planet and make a name for yourself out there, <HE GESTURES TO THE SKY ABOVE> it will be your pride that will keep you alive. People will learn to fear and respect you because you are a Saiyan, because they know what you are capable of. <HE POINTS TO THE LINES OF SOLDIERS IN ARMOR MARCHING PAST THEM> And you will do yourself no favors, my son, by belittling my soldiers. Countless times, they have proven themselves to me in battle and in loyalty.
Prince Vegeta: <SCOWLING> Oh yeah, when?
King Vegeta: <KNEELS AND LOOKS AT HIS SON IN THE EYES> Haven’t I told how I became king? <HIS SON SHAKES HIS HEAD> Very well. Vegeta. Let me tell you how, <CAMERA MOVES TO VEGETA’S SOLDIERS> by the blood of all Saiyans, <CAMERA MOVES BACK TO KING VEGETA’S FACE> I united our race and forged my empire.
<THE STORY MOVES TO THE 720 AGE, BEFORE KING VEGETA BECAME KING>
King Vegeta: Some years back, before I was king, I was no more than the son of a tribal leader.
<THE CAMERA SHOWS A SMALL SAIYAN SETTLEMENT, WHERE THERE ARE ROCK BUILDINGS AND FIRES GOING; IT IS SUNSET; AROUND THE HOUSES AND FIRES, A FEW SAIYANS ARE MILLING ABOUT; ALL OF THEM ARE JUST WEARING SIMPLE CLOTHES OF FUR OR LEATHER-LIKE MATERIAL>
King Vegeta: My father had been gravely ill. He had been unable to rise out of bed for weeks. Because of this, growing murmurs of appointing a new leader were getting louder and louder. The people wanted a strong leader. We were Saiyans; we led by example. And it was a poor portrayal of our tribe to be led by a weakling. So I prevented any drama from developing. I made myself the leader.
<THE PANELS SHOW KING VEGETA SMOTHERING HIS WEAK FATHER; HE THEN EXITS HIS TENT; FACING SEVERAL SAIYANS; AMONG THEM IS VEGETA’S ADVISOR, LAYEECK, AND HIS FATHER, LASCON; BOTH ARE HIGHLY RESPECTED MEMBERS OF THE TRIBE; THEY LOOK AT HIM, BUT HE WALKS PAST THEM AND WALKS ONTO A ROCK, WHICH PROTRUDES FROM A CLIFF OVERLOOKING THE REST OF HIS CAMP; BELOW, ARE HIS PEOPLE, AND VEGETA LOOKS AT THEM>
King Vegeta: And this is where my conquest of the planet truly began.
<THE STORY GOES INTO REAL-TIME AT THIS POINT; THE VOICE-OVER ENDS>
Vegeta: My father is gone, brothers.
<THE OTHER SAIYANS LOOKED SHOCK; MANY OF THEM GROAN, AND A FEW EVEN YELL>
Layeeck: So what then, Vegeta? Are you our leader now?
Vegeta: <CONFIDENTLY> I am.
Layeeck: The people must know they have a new leader. It will take days to send messengers out to each corner of your territory, Vegeta. There are many peoples your father lorded over, but they must be told this news.
Vegeta: They will be. And the other tribes will soon know my name as well.
Layeeck: What do you mean?
Vegeta: I have plans, brothers. I want to unite our race and drive the Tuffle scourge from this planet. Where my father was weak, I will show the world that I am strong! I will no longer stand for us living amongst rocks and barely being able to survive! We will take this planet as our own and start a true warrior empire. I cannot stand to watch my people suffer through droughts and food shortages any longer. We must take what is ours if we want to survive.
Lascon: <STEPPING FORWARD> The other leaders will not bow down to you. You know that, Vegeta.
Vegeta: I do. That’s why we’re going to take them out, one by one.
<LASCON, LAYEECK, AND THE OTHERS LOOK DUBIOUS AT THIS CLAIM, EVEN AS VEGETA REMAINS CONFIDENT; THE CAMERA PULLS BACK SLIGHTLY AND FADES TO BLACK>
<A FEW DAYS LATER, VEGETA IS SHOWN TO HAVE GATHERED THE WARRIORS OF HIS TRIBE UP; THERE ARE MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND OF THEM; HE IS MARCHING IN THE FRONT OF THE GROUP; AT LAST, HE RAISES HIS HAND AND THEY ALL STOP; LAYEECK IS BEHIND HIM, AND AT THIS, HE COMES UP TO WHERE VEGETA IS>
Vegeta: We are on Creissa’s land now. She’s a leader of one of the seven tribes, but hers is the smallest . We will find her, take her captive, and make her join us. Having her forces boost our own will allow us to take on the larger tribes. <HE TURNS TO LAYEECK> Give them the signal, brother. Quick and fast. Let’s do this.
<LAYEECK STEPS BACK AND CREATES AN ENERGY BLAST IN HIS HANDS; HE SHOOTS THIS INTO THE SKY, WHERE IT EXPLODES IN A BRILLIANT FLASH OF LIGHT; AS SOON AS THE SOLDIERS SEE THIS, THEY ALL LET OUT A ROAR SO LOUD THAT IT SHAKES THE GROUND; THEN, ALL TOGETHER, THEY RUN FORWARD>
<THE NEXT PANELS SHOW VEGETA’S FORCES ATTACKING CREISSA’S DEFENSES; THEY SHOOT ENERGY TO DESTROY GUARD TOWERS AND HOUSES; THEY PUNCH GUARDS INTO SUBMISSION AND DESTROY THE GATES THEY WERE GUARDING; VEGETA, LAYEECK, AND HIS ELITES ARE SEEN AMONGST THE FIGHTERS; OVER TIME, THEY MAKE THEIR WAY TO CREISSA’S ENCAMPMENT>
<AS THIS OCCURS, VEGETA, LAYEECK, LASCON, AND A FEW OTHERS BREAK OFF FROM THE MAIN GROUP AND RUSH INTO CREISSA’S ENCAMPMENT; THEY QUICKLY TAKE OUT HER PERSONAL GUARDS AND DRAG HER OUT OF HER TENT, BY HER HAIR, AND SHOVE HER ONTO THE GROUND; AHEAD OF HER, PAST THE BODIES OF HER FEW GUARDS, ARE THE LEGIONS OF VEGETA’S FORCES; THEY TAKE UP ALMOST ALL OF WHAT SHE CAN SEE>
Vegeta: <PACING AROUND CREISSA> Do you see the might of my army, Creissa? Do you see how weak you are in comparison?
Creissa: Who are you? Why are you attacking me? I have no problems with any of the other tribal leaders! This is uncalled for, you dog!
Vegeta: My name is Vegeta. I am here to unite our Saiyan race and eradicate the Tuffles. I need your people to join with me.
Creissa: What?! These are my people! You cannot take them!
Vegeta: Not any longer. My soldiers have taken out your personal defenses, and you are my hostage. I don’t want to have to kill any more of your people. I need your forces to help me take on the other five tribes.
Creissa: No! A war with the other tribes and the Tuffles is foolish. Nappa and Zhukin have tribes that are so large, that you will never be able to conquer them. And even if you do, the Tuffles outnumber us one thousand to one! How can hope to overcome them? They have technology, Vegeta. They will waste you and your people. I don’t want mine to die with them.
Vegeta: We are warriors. The Tuffles are not. With all our people behind me, I know we can take them on.
Creissa: You must be new to this game of power! Only a fool would look at utter annihilation and see it as victory! If you do this, you will doom us all to die!
Vegeta: <COLDLY; LOOKING DOWN ON CREISSA> Kill her, Layeeck.
Creissa: You dare attack me?! Just because I’m a women doesn’t mean I can’t fight! I’ll show you why I’m the leader of this tribe!
<LAYEECK JUMPS FORWARD AND ATTACKS CREISSA; SHE DODGES A FEW OF HIS PUNCHES, BUT HE WEARS HER DOWN RATHER QUICKLY; SHE TRIES TO PUNCH LAYEECK, BUT HE CATCHES HER ARM AND SWIFTLY BREAKS IT; SHE SCREAMS IN PAIN, GIVING LAYEECK OPPORTUNITY TO WRAP HIS ARM AROUND HER THROAT; HE BRINGS HER TO HER KNEES AND HE STARTS CHOKING HER TO DEATH; SHE STRUGGLES, BUT LAYEECK IS TOO STRONG FOR HER>
<VEGETA STEPS FORWARD, GRINNING SLIGHTLY; HE SQUATS DOWN AND STARES IN CREISSA’S FACE, EVEN AS THE LIGHT IS FADING FROM HER EYES>
Vegeta: We move on without you, bitch.
<A FEW MOMENTS LATER, SHE IS DEAD; THE CAMERA PANS BACK AS LAYEECK DROPS HER BODY TO THE CRACKED GROUND; HE DOESN’T EVEN SEEM TO CARE THAT HE JUST KILLED SOMEONE>
Layeeck: All right. I’ll send envoys to each of her settlements. We’ll give them the option to join with us or die.
Vegeta: Good. I think most of them will choose the right path.
<HE SMIRKS, THEN STARTS LAUGHING; LAYEECK AND THE OTHERS JOIN IN>
<THE NEXT SCENE IS BACK AT VEGETA’S CAMP; HE IS WALKING AMONGST THE PEOPLE, LAUGHING AND JOKING WITH THEM, BE THEY MAN, WOMAN, OR CHILD; A SAIYAN MESSENGER SUDDENLY COMES DASHING INTO THE CAMP>
Saiyan 1: My lord Vegeta! <HE KNEELS IN RESPECT>
Vegeta: What news, boy?
Saiyan 1: We have added almost all of Creissa’s people your territory. Her soldiers are marching into our camps as we speak.
Vegeta: And what of those who refused my offer?
Saiyan 1: <WITH A SMIRK> They aren’t around anymore, my lord.
Vegeta: Excellent! <HE CLAPS THE MESSENGER ON THE SHOULDERS> You have done well. Now go tell them, we’re marching again. I expect them to be ready by tomorrow morning.
<THE MESSENGER NODS AND RUNS OFF>
<NEXT, A MONTAGE IS SHOWN OF VEGETA’S ARMY MARCHING TOWARDS THE NEXT TRIBAL LEADER’S TERRITORY; THEY PILLAGE AND BURN OVER THE OUTLYING VILLAGES AS THEY MAKE THEIR WAY TOWARDS THE MORE POPULATED REGIONS; AS THEY DO THIS, THE CAMERA SWITCHES TO A LARGE TENT, WHERE A SAIYAN SITS ON A THRONE; HE IS INSTANTLY RECOGNIZABLE AS BEING PARAGUS>
<A MESSENGER RUNS UP TO THIS SAIYAN AND RECOUNTS TO HIM WHAT IS GOING ON, WHILE SCENES OF VEGETA’S SOLDIERS BURNING THE COUNTRYSIDE AND MARCHING TOWARDS HIM ARE SHOWN; PARAGUS IS SWEATING AND LOOKS LIKE HE IS IN UTTER TERROR>
Paragus: There is no choice! I must surrender!
<THE NEXT SCENE SHOWS PARAGUS KNEELING TO VEGETA OUTSIDE HIS TENT; THEIR MEN SURROUND THEM; A GREAT WIND IS BLOWING>
<THE SCENE CUTS TO THE NEXT DAY; VEGETA IS STANDING OVER A CLIFF, LOOKING AT A DESERT BELOW WITH PARAGUS BEHIND HIM; HIS OTHER MEN ARE ALSO THERE, THOUGH THEY ARE STANDING FURTHER BACK>
Vegeta: Direct combat against Zorn will severally reduce our numbers.
Paragus: We can force him to yield.
Paragus: Zorn’s territory is nothing but a dried wasteland. His tribe is always limited on food and water, so most of it is built around the few small lakes he has. My past raids on his tribe have also revealed the locations of his hunting grounds. If we get rid of those resources, he will have nothing left to sustain his tribe with. He’ll be forced to join us.
Vegeta: Very well. Then tonight, we will eliminate his food and water supplies.
<THE NEXT SCENE CUTS TO THE NIGHT ASSAULT; FIRST, ONE OF VEGETA’S MEN IS BY HIMSELF FLYING ABOVE AN OPEN AREA WITH SEVERAL VISIBLE WILD ANIMALS; HE THEN LAUNCHES A SUPER ENERGY WAVE VOLLEY AT THE LAND BELOW, PURIFYING IT OF LIFE; HE LOOKS TO HIS RIGHT, AND SEES A SIMILAR EXPLOSION OFF IN THE DISTANCE, AND THEN FLIES AWAY; NEXT, ANOTHER ONE OF VEGETA’S SOLDIERS IS SEEN STANDING NEXT TO A SMALL LAKE, POURING A JAR OF POISON INTO THE BODY OF WATER, BEFORE TAKING OFF LIKE HIS ALLIES HAD>
<THEN, A MONTAGE IS SHOWN OF VEGETA’S FORCES ATTACKING ZORN’S WEAKENED WARRIORS; SOME OF ZORN’S MEN ARE SEEN COUGHING UP BLOOD IN THEIR HUTS; FINALLY, VEGETA, LAYEECK, AND SEVERAL OTHER SAIYANS OF VEGETA’S TRIBE ARRIVE AT ZORN’S HUT; ZORN ATTEMPTS TO FIGHT BACK, BUT VEGETA OVERPOWERS HIM; DECIDING THAT ZORN IS TOO IMPORTANT TO KILL, VEGETA SPARES HIM; EVEN AS ZORN IS KNEELING IN BRUISED DEFEAT, VEGETA REACHES OUT A HAND TO HELP HIM UP; ZORN TAKES IT AND JOINS WITH VEGETA’S FORCES>
<SEVERAL DAYS LATER, AT VEGETA’S CAMP, VEGETA HIMSELF STANDS IN FRONT OF LAYEECK, PARAGUS, ZORN, LASCON, AND SEVERAL OTHERS>
Vegeta: <TO THE OTHER SAIYANS> Before our conquest, we were but a single tribe. Although we have joined four nations of warriors, our work has just begun. Tonight, we claim Dogom’s lands!
Layeeck: My lord, even with our tribes united, our numbers barely exceed those of Dogom’s.
Vegeta: That is why we must all strike his capitol at once. His lands may be well-guarded, but he cannot have all of his forces defending a single location. Any objections, brothers?
All Other Saiyans: No, sir!
Vegeta: Then we will double our numbers by tomorrow.
<THE NEXT SCENE SHOWS MANY PRIMITIVE BUILDINGS ON FIRE, FROM HIGH ABOVE; MULTIPLE EXPLOSIONS CAN BE SEEN GOING OFF AT RANDOM LOCATIONS; THE CAMERA THEN CUTS TO THE INSIDE OF DOGOM’S CAPITAL BUILDING; DOGOM AND A FEMALE SAIYAN ARE BACK-TO-BACK; TWO OF VEGETA’S WARRIORS CRASH THROUGH THE WALL OF THE BUILDING AND CHARGE AT THE FEMALE SAIYAN; SHE TELEPORTS BEHIND THEM, GRABS THE BACK OF THEIR HEADS, ONE IN EACH HAND, AND THEN CURLES HER FINGERS, PUNCTURING THEIR SKULLS; THE MOMENT THEIR BODIES GO LIMP, SHE TOSSES THEM ASIDE>
<MEANWHILE, DOGOM IS FIGHTING THREE OTHER SAIYANS; HE INCINERATES HIS FIRST OPPONENT WITH A RED BEAM FROM HIS RIGHT PALM, AND THEN DECAPITATES ANOTHER WITH AN AERIAL BACK KICK; THE THIRD ASSAILANT CHARGES AT DOGOM HEAD-ON, BUT IS STOPPED IN HIS TRACKS WHEN DOGOM BARRAGES HIM WITH DOZENS OF PUNCHES AND FINGER-JABS; WHEN DOGOM’S ATTACK IS SEEMINGLY FINISHED, HIS ENEMY APPEARS UNHARMED, UNTIL HIS ORIFICES GLOW WITH BRIGHT GREEN KI BEFORE HIS ENTIRE BODY EXPLODES; INEVITABLY, EVEN MORE SAIYANS ARRIVE, CREATING MORE HOLES IN THE WALLS AND FURTHER WEAKENING THE BUILDING’S FOUNDATIONS>
Dogom: How are you holding up, Aubere?
Aubere: I’m just getting warmed up.
Dogom: That’s good to hear.
<UNFORTUNATELY FOR DOGOM AND AUBERE, THEIR ENERGY DOES NOT ALLOW THEM TO TAKE ON ALL OF THEIR FOES AT ONCE; THE ENTIRE CAPITOL BUILDING IS SOON DESTROYED, AND AUBERE IS EVENTUALLY INCAPACITATED BY AN ENERGY BEAM JUST BELOW HER CHEST, FORCING DOGOM TO FEND FOR HIMSELF AND PROTECT HER UNCONSCIOUS BODY; AT THIS TIME, VEGETA AND LAYEECK PERSONALLY CONFRONT DOGOM>
Dogom: <ANGRILY> Vegeta…
<DOGOM GRADUALLY WAVES HIS ARMS AROUND IN A WIDE MOTION, SIMILAR TO MASTER ROSHI’S OPENING MOTIONS TO THE ORIGINAL KAMEHAMEHA, AND THEN THRUSTS BOTH OF HIS PALMS FORWARD, DISCHARGING A MASSIVE BLUE BEAM; VEGETA IMMEDIATELY RESPONDS WITH A ROYAL GALICK GUN, LOCKING THE TWO IN A BEAM STRUGGLE; ALTHOUGH VEGETA IS SLOWLY WINNING, THE STRUGGLE IS TAKING SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER THAN OPTIMAL; TO QUICKEN THE PROCESS, LAYEECK THROWS AN ENERGY SPHERE AT DOGOM, KNOCKING HIM AWAY AND DISSIPATING HIS BEAM; DOGOM FALLS FACE-FIRST INTO THE GROUND, BLOODIED AND BEATEN; VEGETA WALKS TOWARDS THE DEFEATED TRIBE LEADER; SOON, VEGETA’S OTHER ELITES COME IN; ZORN, PARAGUS, AND LASCON, ARE SEEN MAKING THEIR WAY INTO THE RUINED BUILDING>
Dogom: <WEAKILY> I know why you’re here.
Vegeta: Then I have no need to explain my cause.
Dogom: What reason do I have to ally myself with a sneaky bastard?
Vegeta: <LOOKS AT THE UNCONSCIOUS AUBERE> Layeeck, kill her.
Dogom: <IMMEDIATELY> Wait! Leave her alone!
<VEGETA RAISES A HAND, SIGNALING LAYEECK TO PAUSE>
Dogom: Fine, I’ll join you. I want the Tuffles gone anyway.
Vegeta: Good. It would be a waste to not have you at our side.
<VEGETA TURNS HIS BACK TO DOGOM AND WALKS AWAY>
Dogom: <STILL ON THE GROUND> You know, you could have just negotiated.
Vegeta: <WITHOUT TURNING AROUND> Were it so easy.
- This chapter was named by me and is a reference to the first Mongolian mission in the game, Age of Empires II.
- I only got the idea to have King Vegeta recount this tale to Prince Vegeta as I began writing. It wasn't planned. It felt like the most natural way to open the story once I began writing it.
- The dialogue between King and Prince Vegeta is one of the hardest things I've ever written. Having serious interactions between the two is hard without having King Vegeta seem lame/cheesy. I think, to write realistic dialogue, one must write characters who are like that sometimes, but I still tried to avoid that in the opening scene. I think the scene works, but it is not perfect as it is.
- I felt it was important to show Vegeta's origins (as reasonably as I could). That is why I began the story with Vegeta's unnamed father dying and him taking over the tribe. It's a turning point in his (and the overall Saiyan) history.
- Saiyan clothing and buildings were described in the style seen in King Kai's history of the Saiyans. They were also heavily influenced by a Saiyan character page on this very wiki. I don't remember the name of the Saiyan, but in his picture, he was wearing fur clothes that I thought looked really cool. So I made a lot of the Saiyan furs be inspired by that character's clothes.
- It's rarely mentioned, but the female Saiyans don't always wear tops to cover their breasts. Some do (the female seen in King Kai's history did), but not all do. This is the same with males. Some males wear fur shirts, some don't. It also depends on the time of year and mood of the individual, if they are wealthy enough to own more than one pair of clothes.
- I didn't want to portray King Vegeta as a hero because I don't think he is one. Quite frankly, I don't think a single person in this story is a hero; many show heroic qualities, but they aren't consistently heroic. That said, King Vegeta smothering his father was done to make his character more complex. It shows how much he values the perception of his tribe and their honor. We don't get much of a look into his personal feelings on killing his father (though he does lament his father never got to see the end of the Tuffles in later chapters). This is on purpose. I want his emotions about this to be ambiguous. He's decisive in giving his father a mercy kill, but it's up to us to understand how hard that was on him. I think it certainly drove him to uniting the Saiyans and seeing his father's wish fulfilled. It also shows Vegeta is a Saiyan who puts his duty before his feelings in difficult cases, which is much like how Stannis Baratheon acts in the series A Song of Ice and Fire. Most importantly though is that by killing his father, Vegeta doesn't look like the traditional hero of a grand war story, which was intentional.
- Vegeta calling his friends "brothers" is a reference to Desmond from Lost. It also shows how close he is to his tribe-mates.
- I once thought of making Layeeck his own tribe leader like Dogom, but eventually went against this idea because I didn't want my own Saiyans to be that important to lead their own tribe. I added Layeeck's family to Vegeta's tribe which then allowed me to show that they were already friends before this story began. This allow them to remain close throughout the story and explains why Vegeta and him are so close in my later (timeline-wise) story, Dragon Ball Z: The Forgotten. One cool thing about this story is that I got to do some origin stuff with my characters. Showing why Vegeta and Layeeck were close friends was fun too. They are close from the beginning, but their friendship persists through the war and develops rather nicely.
- Layeeck and Lascon are basically advisors to Vegeta.
- It was important to show how much Vegeta wanted to defeat the Tuffles from the onset. So as soon as his father dies, Vegeta proclaims his goal to eradicate the other race. Honestly, I don't know how I could have done this differently, but it is sort of random how much he hates them. In a perfect world, I would have shown why he hated them before this, I guess. But I couldn't figure out a way to do that without messing up the pacing.
- Vegeta's strategy to unite the tribes is very smart. He was described as being cunning by King Kai, and this was my way of showing it. Most Saiyans are not smart; King Vegeta is one of their best intellectual minds. So I had to show that he outsmarted most of the others to make King Kai's claim reasonable.
- Creissa is the only female tribe leader. I had a female tribe leader to show that males and females in Saiyan culture are basically the same. What matters is one's strength, not so much one's gender.
- Creissa's region is much smaller than Vegeta's. That is why I had her be defeated so quickly. As well, I knew I needed Vegeta to conquer three other tribes in this chapter, so for pacing reasons, this scene was shortened.
- Creissa doesn't recognize Vegeta because he's a new tribe leader and news travels slowly in the low tech society of the Saiyans. She would have known his father, though.
- Creissa mentioning the size of Nappa's and Zhukin's tribes was done as a bit of foreshadowing to Vegeta's future conflicts with them. As well, it should excite readers, since Nappa is a known canon Saiyan. That he has such a huge tribe implies that he will have a future conflict with Vegeta, which should be exciting to readers. Her mentioning that the Tuffles outnumber the Saiyans a thousand to one is an oft repeated phrase throughout the story that also foreshadows Vegeta's war with the Tuffles.
- Layeeck not being a tribe leader meant I had to give him interesting history in other ways. That's why I had him kill Creissa. Also, the manner in which he kills her is very personal and extremely brutal. It was inspired by the suffocation scene in Saving Private Ryan.
- Vegeta calling Creissa a bitch shows that he's not the typical "good guy hero". He may even be a villain in this first chapter. I mean, what right does he have to conquer Creissa's tribe? We aren't shown why they need to get rid of the Tuffles. And Creissa seemed quite innocent throughout.
- Vegeta uses a different strategy to conquer Zorn's and Paragus' regions simply because it would be boring for him to conquer every tribe the same way.
- Paragus surrendered to Vegeta because he's a coward by nature (this is seen in most of his official appearances in Dragon Ball media). He was intensely frightened by the larger tribe pillaging his outlying areas, so he quickly gave up before anymore harm could come to his people. I don't think he knew Creissa was dead; though if he did, that would have influenced his decision to surrender.
- I discussed various ways to conquer the tribes with Hyper Zergling. I think he may have written the Zorn scene even. Having Paragus tell Vegeta how to defeat Zorn is cool too, as it shows the immediate impact of Vegeta conquering another tribe (and leaving their leader alive).
- Vegeta could have killed Zorn, but he realized how useful Paragus was to him, so he didn't do what he did to Creissa. Honestly, I don't know if he'd keep Creissa alive even if he conquered her last in this chapter. She is way more rebellious and verbally aggressive than the others.
- Hyper Zergling wrote most of the Dogom scene. I think Dogom's dialogue sounds a lot like how Hyper Zergling talks in real life. And he does quite a bit of detail with the fighting (more so than with the other tribes) because these are his characters and he wants to have fun with them.
- We originally based our Saiyans' fighting styles off of Super Smash Bros. Melee characters' fighting styles. This comes through in certain parts of the writing, particularly in Hyper Zergling's sections, but it wasn't our focus or a super consistent thing to always reference Smash moves in the fights.
- "Were it so easy" is a reference to The Arbiter from the game, Halo 3. Any astute reader would also know that I have a story with that very same name as well.
- So overall, this first chapter had quite a few goals. I wanted to introduce the story through King Vegeta telling it to his son (allowing me to use voiceover scenes in this chapter as well as the future). I also wanted Vegeta to begin uniting the tribes. He conquers four other tribes in this chapter, but it goes by so quickly, the scope of what he did is hard to appreciate. That pacing was necessary to fit the Saiyan unification into three chapters because I knew Nappa and Zhukin would be the two giants Vegeta had to slay. Obviously, he doesn't kill Nappa, but both of the tribal leaders command enormous tribes that would be difficult for Vegeta to defeat even with the might of all the other tribes behind him. They would command their own chapters, and I didn't want the unification to take up more than three chapters of a story that should mostly focus on the Saiyan-Tuffle War. Having Vegeta not be the biggest leader from the start allows him to grow as a person as well as grow his tribe. This growth is very important for him becoming a good leader. I also enjoy the fact that Nappa is originally of higher status than Vegeta, considering how he's portrayed in Dragon Ball Z and The Forgotten, a mere mentor and watcher to Vegeta's young son. But overall, I think this chapter is a good setup for the rest of the story and does a good job at beginning the pacing for the The Great War as a whole. I don't like all of the dialogue in this chapter, but that does improve in future chapters as Hyper Zergling and I got more comfortable with the characters and setting.
<IT IS NIGHT>
<SEVERAL SAIYANS ARE HUDDLED AROUND A FEW BURNING FIRES; THEY ARE JUST OUTSIDE OF THEIR TENTS; AHEAD OF THEM IS A SMALL RIVER; ON THE OTHER SIDE IS A HUGE METROPOLITAN CITY; THE SAIYANS ARE WATCHING IT>
Artachoc: They’re all cowards and weaklings, hiding behind their walls. I could kill every Tuffle in there with my bare hands!
Ocra: Calm down, Artachoc. Now is not the time.
Artachoc: Why not? We Saiyans are the superior race! We should kill every one of those Tuffle weaklings right now!
Ocra: <SHAKING HER HEAD> We can’t. Not now. <SHRUGGING> Maybe when Vegeta unites the remaining tribes, but until then, we can’t do anything. Border patrol is all we are useful for.
Artachoc: <SNEERING> I bet those Tuffles are just waiting for us to turn our backs, and then they’ll strike!
Ocra: I don’t think so. What would they gain from that?
Artachoc: <EYES ON THE CITY; HE STANDS UP> They know we’re a threat. Maybe they want to try and stop us before we eliminate them.
Ocra: <LAUGHS IN DISBELIEF> Artachoc, do you really think–
Artachoc: There, look! <ENERGY FORMS IN HIS HANDS AT ONCE> There’s Tuffles coming! <TO THE OTHER SAIYANS> Stand up! Battle ready, now!
<THE SAIYANS ALL STAND UP AND FALL INTO DEFENSIVE STANCES; THE TUFFLES SOON COME INTO VIEW, MARCHING IN STRAIGHT, NEAT LINES ACROSS THE RIVER; THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF THEM; IN CONTRAST, THERE ARE ONLY A FEW DOZEN SAIYANS>
Saiyan 1: Tuffles? What do you lot want?
<AS THE TUFFLES ARE MARCHING FORWARD IN UNISON, THEIR LEADER STRIDES AHEAD OF THEM; HE IS CLOTHED IN HEAVY, ORNATE BLUE/WHITE ARMOR; HE RAISES A GLOVED HAND, AND THE SOLDIERS BEHIND HIM STOP AT ONCE; HE TAKES OFF HIS HELMET TO SPEAK TO THE SAIYANS>
Tuffle 1: <TO HIS SOLDIERS> Hold up! <TO THE SAIYANS> What are you cretinous Saiyans doing here?
Artachoc: This is Vegeta’s territory. Turn around and we won’t kill you for trespassing.
Tuffle 1: This is Tuffle territory, not some place for you… vile barbarians to wallow in your own filth. The High Council has deemed this a proper location for a new city. You will pack and leave or we will vaporize you into nothingness. You have my word, Saiyans.
Artachoc: Oh yeah? Who are you to order us around, little man?
Tuffle 1: My name is General Amanito. I am the commanding officer of the Tuffle armies. You would be smart to turn away right now. I promise you, we will not leave. But if you want to die, I will gladly help you along that path.
Saiyan 1: Fool! Don’t you know the might of the Saiyans?!
<AMANITO UNSHOULDERS AN ENERGY RIFLE AND AIMS IT AT SAIYAN 1; A SECOND LATER, HE FIRES THE SHOT, WHICH HITS THE POOR SAIYAN RIGHT IN THE NECK; THE SAIYAN FALLS OVER WITHOUT A SOUND, DEAD; BOTH SIDES TENSE; ALL OF THE SAIYANS SHOUT OUT ANGRILY>
Amanito: <TO HIS SOLDIERS> Leave nothing standing. Burn the bodies when this is over.
<THE SOLDIERS ALL TAKE OUT THEIR ENERGY RIFLES; THEN, TOGETHER, THEY SHOUT AND RUN FORWARD ACROSS THE RIVER; THE SAIYANS YELL BACK (MANY SHOUTS OF ‘VEGETA!’ PERMEATING THE CRISP NIGHT AIR); ARTACHOC LEADS HIS SAIYANS RIGHT AT THE TUFFLES>
<ARTACHOC LUNGES AT THE NEAREST TUFFLE, LOWERING HIS SHOULDER AND LUMBERING INTO THE SOLDIER; THE TUFFLE SCREAMS AS HIS ARMOR SHATTERS AND HE FLIES BACK, BLOODIED AND WOUNDED; A DOZEN TUFFLES SHOOT THEIR ENERGY RIFLES AT ARTACHOC, BUT HE JUMPS AND ROLLS OUT OF THE WAY; AS SOON AS HE REACHES THEM, ARTACHOC CREATES A GROUP OF SMALL KI EXPLOSIVE BLASTS IN A SMALL SEMI CIRCLE, WHICH HITS ALL OF THE TUFFLES AND THROWS THEM BACK>
<OCRA FOLLOWS ARTACHOC AND PUNCHES TWO TUFFLES WHO WERE SNEAKING UP BEHIND HIM; ANOTHER GROUP TRIES TO SHOOT HER, BUT SHE GATHERS HER AURA AROUND HER AND SHOOTS RIGHT OVER TO THEM; THEN, OCRA THRUSTS HER ARMS FROM HER SIDES AND CREATES A SMALL EXPLOSIVE WAVE, WHICH INCINERATES HER OPPONENTS; SOON, MORE TUFFLES COME RUNNING INTO VIEW, AND SHE DUCKS OUT OF THE WAY OF THEIR ATTACKS AND CHARGES AT THEM, KICKING THEM AWAY; THEN, OCRA SEES A TUFFLE FIELD COMMANDER AHEAD OF HER; SHE RUNS UP TO HIM, DODGING HIS ENERGY ATTACKS AND THEN PUNCHES HIM RIGHT IN THE FACE; HE GOES FLYING BACK AND SHE TELEPORTS AHEAD AND THEN CRUSHES HIM DOWN INTO THE DIRT; OCRA LOOKS UP AND SEES HUNDREDS OF TUFFLES RUNNING RIGHT AT HER; SHE CHARGES UP ENERGY IN BOTH OF HER HANDS AND THEN ROLLS ASIDE AND SHOOTS HER BLASTS RIGHT AT THE TUFFLES>
<THE TUFFLES START TAKING OUT MANY OF THE UNNAMED SAIYANS; THEY ISOLATE THE SAIYANS AND THEN ENCIRCLE THEM; AS THE SAIYANS TRY TO RUSH A SINGLE TUFFLE, THE ENTIRE GROUP FIRES ENERGY AT THEM UNTIL THE SAIYAN FALLS, DEAD; SOON, IT IS ONLY OCRA AND ARTACHOC LEFT STANDING>
Ocra: <JUMPING OUT OF THE WAVE OF AN ONCOMING BLAST> Artachoc! It’s lost! We have to go!
Artachoc: <CREATES A STRAND OF ENERGY WHICH HE USES TO GRAB A TUFFLE AND PULL TOWARDS HIM; THEN, HE THROWS THE TUFFLE INTO THE GROUND, CAUSING A HUGE CRATER TO FORM> No! We can take them! They’re just a bunch of weaklings!
Ocra: We’ll die! <SHE JUMPS PAST A GROUP OF TUFFLES, SHOOTING ENERGY BLASTS DOWN ON THEM AS SHE FLIES OVER THEM> Get it through your thick skull! Do you want to die?!
Artachoc: I’m not dying today!
<ARTACHOC KICKS A FEW TUFFLES, SHATTERING THEIR ARMOR AND CAUSING BLOOD TO FLY EVERYWHERE; THEN, A LARGE GROUP OF TUFFLES SURROUND ARTACHOC; HE LOOKS THIS WAY AND THAT, TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HIS BEST METHOD OF ATTACKING; THEN, SUDDENLY, THEY RELEASE ENERGY BLASTS AT HIM; THE ENERGY BEARS DOWN ON ARTACHOC; HE PUTS UP HIS HAND TO SHIELD HIS FACE FROM THE ATTACKS’ BRIGHT LIGHT; SOON, THE LIGHT OF THE COMBINED TUFFLE ATTACKS COVERS THE ENTIRE SCREEN>
<CUTS TO VEGETA, LAYEECK, AND PARAGUS; IT IS STILL NIGHT>
<ALL THREE ARE ONLY WEARING SIMPLE TRAINING CLOTHES; LAYEECK CHARGES AT VEGETA AND HITS HIM WITH A RUNNING UPPERCUT; AS VEGETA FLIES INTO THE AIR, LAYEECK JUMPS FORWARD AND DOES A FLIP KICK, SENDING VEGETA FURTHER BACK; LAYEECK FOLLOWS THIS UP WITH A TELEPORT-FLIP KICK; AS VEGETA GOES TO RECOVER, LAYEECK HITS HIM WITH AN EXPLOSIVE WAVE; VEGETA FALLS TO THE GROUND; AS LAYEECK CHARGES HIM AGAIN, VEGETA JUMPS UP, SLIDES AROUND HIM, AND THEN PUNCHES LAYEECK IN THE BACK; LAYEECK ATTEMPTS TO RECOVER, BUT VEGETA GRABS HIM AND SLAMS HIM FORWARD; FOLLOWING THAT UP, VEGETA PUNCHES LAYEECK UP INTO THE AIR, AND THEN JUMPS OFF THE GROUND AND KICKS LAYEECK HIGHER INTO THE AIR; HE THEN TELEPORTS ABOVE LAYEECK AND COMES CRASHING DOWN ON THE SAIYAN>
<AT THIS TIME, PARAGUS JUMPS IN AND STARTS ATTACKING VEGETA; VEGETA PARRIES HIS ATTACKS AND FLIPS OVER PARAGUS; PARAGUS SPINS AROUND, THROWING A BLIND PUNCH, BUT VEGETA DUCKS AND KICKS PARAGUS’ LEGS OUT UNDER HIM; LAYEECK RETURNS AND SHOOTS AT VEGETA, KI ENVELOPING HIM; VEGETA BLOCKS THE ATTACK, THOUGH IT STILL THROWS HIM BACK; LAYEECK AND PARAGUS THEN RUN FORWARD TOGETHER AND ATTACK VEGETA AT THE SAME TIME; VEGETA DODGES THEIR PUNCHES AND KICKS AND SMALL KI BLASTS BY DUCKING AND JUMPING AROUND; AFTER A MOMENT, HE RELEASES AN EXPLOSIVE WAVE WHICH CATCHES BOTH OF THE SAIYANS; THEN, HE SHOOTS AN ENERGY BEAM AT PARAGUS, KNOCKING HIM AWAY; HE FINISHES LAYEECK WITH A SWIFT KICK TO THE CHIN; LAYEECK FALLS>
<VEGETA STANDS UP STRAIGHT, SMILING; HE CRACKS HIS NECK AND THEN HELPS PARAGUS AND LAYEECK BACK UP>
Vegeta: You’re too slow, Layeeck. And you panic too much, Paragus. Neither one of you can hope to beat me.
Layeeck: Maybe if I trained as much as you, Vegeta, I’d be faster.
Vegeta: You won’t get the results if you don’t put in the effort, my friend. Anyway, we should be getting back. I planned a war council for later this night.
Paragus: The time for talk is done! We need to march on the Tuffles before they become a threat to us! Our forces won’t have any chance against them if they mobilize. We must hit them before they know what is happening!
Vegeta: <BREATHING HARD AND STROKING HIS CHIN> We don’t have the numbers. Even if we take the Tuffles by surprise, they would be able to repel us. They have technology on their side. And there are so many of them. One victory will alert the rest of them to our intentions. Then they will fortify their cities, and we will never be able to get inside.
Layeeck: So what’s the plan then?
Vegeta: I need Zhukin’s and Nappa’s forces first. Theirs are the two largest tribes. If I have their warriors behind me, we can exterminate the Tuffles.
Paragus: A war with Nappa or Zhukin would cripple us. Both of their tribes outnumber us. We’ll lose more Saiyans than we could possibly gain. Our war should be against the Tuffles, not out brethren.
Vegeta: I won’t be fighting Nappa or Zhukin. We will absorb their forces without much bloodshed.
Vegeta: First, I’ll challenge Nappa to single combat. Once I’ve beaten him, our forces will outnumber Zhukin’s, and he will be forced to surrender. If he doesn’t surrender, we’ll kill him. <VEGETA SMILES> Sound good?
Layeeck: Vegeta, this is a mistake. You cannot beat Nappa. He’s the greatest warrior on the entire planet. He’s a legendary warrior!
Vegeta: <RAISING HIS EYEBROWS> He used to be, I’ll give you that.
Paragus: You think you are stronger than him?
Vegeta: You have been a part of our training sessions, haven’t you?
Paragus: Of course, Vegeta. Why do you ask?
Vegeta: Then you know my strength. Well, a slice of it. I haven’t used my full power against you two yet. Perhaps if you get stronger…
Layeeck: Impossible! I was trying my hardest against you, sir. You had to be fully powered up!
Vegeta: Do you really think I would lie to you, old friend? I am not one to boast. <HE SIGHS WHEN THE TWO STILL LOOK UNCONVINCED> Fine, I’ll show you.
<VEGETA STEPS BACK AND LETS OUT A LONG, LOW SCREAM; HIS AURA FLARES UP AROUND HIM; THE GROUND QUAKES AND NEARBY ROCKS SHATTER; THE GRASS VEGETA IS STANDING ON IS INSTANTLY VAPORIZED; ONCE VEGETA IS DONE CHARGING UP, HE LOWERS HIS ARMS AND GESTURES FOR THE TWO TO ATTACK HIM AGAIN; THEY BOTH RUN AT HIM; LAYEECK AND PARAGUS COME AT VEGETA FROM TWO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS, BUT HE DODGES OUT OF THE WAY AND THEY CRASH INTO ONE ANOTHER; THEN, VEGETA RUNS AT THE TWO; THEY TRY TO ATTACK AGAIN, BUT HE JUMPS AROUND WITH TELEPORTATIONS FOR A MOMENT BEFORE HITTING BOTH OF THEM INTO THE DIRT; THEN, VEGETA EXTINGUISHES HIS AURA>
Layeeck: <FEELING HIS JAW> Impressive, Vegeta. That packed quite a punch.
Paragus: <EYES BULGING> I couldn’t even see you!
Vegeta: <ARMS OUT> You see, my friends? I have grown stronger than any Saiyan before me! All the battles, all the training has paid off. Not even that brute Nappa can stand up to me now.
Layeeck: How sure are you, Vegeta? Have you ever seen Nappa fight?
Vegeta: <SHRUGS> How fast can someone his size be? Even if he’s stronger, I am smarter and quicker. I’ll wear him down.
Layeeck: But all he would need is one–
<SUDDENLY, TWO SAIYANS COME RUNNING ONTO THE SCENE>
<VEGETA, LAYEECK, AND PARAGUS TURN TO SEE OCRA AND ARTACHOC COME RACING ONTO THE SCENE; BOTH OF THEM ARE BRUISED AND BATTERED; OCRA HAS CUTS ALL OVER HER FACE AND ARTACHOC HAS A BLOODY GASH ACROSS HIS BARE NECK>
Vegeta: What’s happened, soldier?
Ocra: <OUT OF BREATH> The Tuffles… th-they… breached the s-southern border!
Artachoc: <ANGRY> They… killed everyone else.
Ocra: We… are the o-only ones who got away!
Paragus: What?! <HE TURNS TO VEGETA> See, Vegeta?! We must fight the Tuffles right now!
Vegeta: <LOOKING AT OCRA AND ARTACHOC CURIOUSLY> No. We leave for Nappa’s territory tonight. No war council. No more thinking this over. We’ve run out of time. I need his Saiyans at my side right now, or the Tuffles are going to kill us all.
<CUTS TO THE DAY>
<IT IS HOT AND BRIGHT OUT; THE CAMERA PANS ACROSS A LARGE DESERT EXPANSE UNTIL IT SETTLES IN ON A LARGE COLLECTION OF TENTS; THE ONE AT THE CENTER OF THIS SETTLEMENT IS THE SIZE OF A FOOTBALL STADIUM AND IT IS DECORATED WITH FANCY PAINT AND WOODEN TOWERS AT EACH CORNER>
<THE CAMERA MOVES THROUGH THE SETTLEMENT, SHOWING MANY SAIYANS WALKING AROUND OR EATING OR DOING OTHER ACTIVITIES; THE CAMERA COMES UPON THE SETTLEMENT’S FRONT GATE; THERE, SEVERAL GUARDS ARE STANDING BEHIND THE METAL BARRIER; SEVERAL SAIYANS ARE ALSO SITTING ON THE WALLS AROUND IT; FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE GATE COMES A NEW GROUP OF SAIYANS; AT THEIR HEAD IS VEGETA; AMONGST THE GROUP IS ZORN, LAYEECK, DOGOM, OCRA, ARTACHOC, AND PARAGUS; VEGETA CALMLY STRIDES UP TO THE GATE AS HIS GUARDS FOLLOW HIM>
Saiyan Gate Guard 1: <BRANDISHING HIS FISTS> Hey, you! Stop right there!
Vegeta: <UNPERTURBED> I am here to see your chieftain, Nappa. Did my envoys not tell you of our meeting? Nappa and I have a duel to get to. I don’t want to be kept waiting.
Saiyan Gate Guard 2: Oh, you’re Vegeta? Come on in. <HE OPENS THE GATE FOR VEGETA’S GROUP AND THEY WALK INSIDE>
<VEGETA’S GROUP MOVES FORWARD TO THE MAIN TENT; AS THEY GO, MANY OF NAPPA’S SAIYANS GIVE THEM DIRTY LOOKS OR HURL INSULTS AT THEM, BUT THE GROUP IGNORES THEM; THEY ENTER THE GREAT TENT; INSIDE ARE DOZENS OF GUARDS; THEY PUSH VEGETA’S GROUP INTO THE CENTER OF THE ROOM, CAUSING LAYEECK, DOGOM, AND ZORN TO BRIEFLY SCUFFLE WITH THEM; AFTER VEGETA’S GROUP PUSHES THE GUARDS AWAY, THEY MOVE INTO THE CENTER OF THE ROOM; THERE, ON A MASSIVE THRONE, SITS NAPPA; HE IS HUGE, TALL, AND EXTREMELY MUSCLED; NAPPA IS WEARING HEAVY FURS AND A CAPE; HE IS DRINKING FROM A SAIYAN SKULL; WHEN HE SEES VEGETA, HE GRINS AND TAKES A DRINK>
Nappa: So ya’re the cocky little fool who thought he could beat me, eh? Kind of puny, aren’t ya?
Vegeta: They said you would be a giant.
Nappa: <TAKES ANOTHER DRINK> Did they? And whaddya think? <HE STANDS UP AND FLEXES HIS MUSCLES> Have ya ever seen such a warrior?!
Vegeta: <COCKS HIS HEAD, NARROWING HIS EYES> I thought you would be bigger.
Nappa: <DROPPING HIS SKULL CUP> Har har har! Hehehehe! That’s a good one, Vegeta. Ya’re funny, I’ll give ya that. It’s a shame I’ll have ta squish ya now.
<BOTH FIGHTERS STEP FORWARD; THEY START STRETCHING; NAPPA PULLS OFF HIS CAPE AND THROWS IT INTO A CORNER>
Vegeta: My envoys told you the prize for the winner, right?
Nappa: Hehe, yeah, they did. I win, I get all yar Saiyans. <DAYDREAMING> I’ve always wanted a bigger empire! Maybe I’ll finally get rid of that rat Zhukin once I get yar guys! He’s always been an annoying thorn in my side…
Vegeta: And if I win, I get yours.
Nappa: <SHRUGS> Ha! Like that’ll happen, Vegeta!
Vegeta: <LOWERING INTO A DEFENSIVE STANCE> Watch and see.
<IN THE BACKGROUND, VEGETA’S SOLDIERS WATCH>
Dogom: What chance does Vegeta have?
Zorn: <FERVENT> Vegeta will win! He must!
Layeeck: <ARMS CROSSED> He’s stronger than he lets on. But Nappa has unbelievable power. Vegeta will need to tire him out. He’s faster than that brute, at least.
Ocra: <OBSERVING> And smarter too. Besides, he knows what he’s doing. He wouldn’t challenge Nappa if he was going to lose.
Artachoc: He better win! I don’t want to be Nappa’s slave! I’ll die before I let that happen!
<AHEAD OF THEM, NAPPA FINALLY LOWERS INTO A FIGHTING STANCE; HE SCREAMS AND THEN CHARGES AT VEGETA>
<WHEN NAPPA REACHES VEGETA HE REACHES OUT WITH BOTH HANDS IN AN ATTEMPT TO GRAB THE SMALLER SAIYAN; VEGETA, HOWEVER, DASHES AWAY FROM NAPPA’S ARMS, AND THEN HE IMMEDIATELY DASHES RIGHT BACK BEFORE THROWING TWO CONSECUTIVE KICKS WITH EACH FOOT, ONE AFTER ANOTHER; ALTHOUGH NAPPA IS LARGER THAN VEGETA, HIS ARMS ARE STILL SHORTER THAN VEGETA’S LEGS, AND HE IS SUBSEQUENTLY STRUCK BY VEGETA’S ATTACK; SOMEWHAT FRUSTRATED, NAPPA LUNGES AT VEGETA ONCE MORE, ONLY FOR THE SAME THING TO HAPPEN>
<IT TAKES NAPPA SEVERAL MORE TRIES TO REALIZE THAT HIS ORIGINAL PLAN IS NOT WORKING; THIS TIME, NAPPA PULLS BACK HIS LEFT HAND AS HE CHARGES AURA AROUND IT, AND THEN THRUSTS HIS PALM FORWARD, THROWING AN ENERGY SPHERE AT VEGETA; VEGETA JUMPS OVER THE ENERGY BLAST, WHICH FLIES INTO THE DISTANCE AND COLLIDES WITH A WALL, CREATING A MASSIVE EXPLOSION>
<NAPPA GROWLS AND STARTS SWINGING WILDLY AT VEGETA; VEGETA JUMPS BACK AND RUNS AROUND NAPPA AS THE LARGER BRUTE TRIES TO HIT HIM; VEGETA SHOOTS SMALL KI BLASTS AT NAPPA WHILE THIS IS GOING ON, THOUGH THEY DON’T DAMAGE THE LARGER SAIYAN VERY MUCH; SOON NAPPA IS EXHAUSTED, WHILE VEGETA IS ABLE TO GET A FEW GOOD PUNCHES IN ON HIM; NAPPA’S EXHAUSTION CAUSES HIM TO SLOW DOWN, AND WHEN VEGETA JUMPS FORWARD AND HITS HIM, HE CANNOT RETALIATE FAST ENOUGH>
<VEGETA THEN APPEARS BEHIND NAPPA AND THROWS A PUNCH; NAPPA, HOWEVER, IS JUST FAST ENOUGH TO BLOCK THE ATTACK; NOW RIGHT IN FRONT OF EACH OTHER, THE TWO THROW OFF MULTIPLE PUNCHES AND KICKS BLOCKING EVERY ATTACK INITIATED BY THEIR OPPONENT; AFTER SEVERAL SECONDS OF STALEMATE, NAPPA SUDDENLY SPINS HIS ENTIRE BODY WITH OUTSTRETCHED ARMS AND HANDS CLENCHED AS FISTS; NOT EXPECTING SUCH AN ATTACK, VEGETA IS STRUCK ACROSS THE WAIST AND KNOCKED AWAY>
<USING THIS OPPORTUNITY, NAPPA CHARGES AT VEGETA ONCE MORE; UNFORTUNATELY FOR HIM, VEGETA HAS ALREADY RECOVERED FROM NAPPA’S ATTACK; VEGETA FLIES ABOVE NAPPA AND THEN STOMPS ON HIS HEAD WITH BOTH FEET, SLAMMING THE TYRANT INTO THE GROUND; NAPPA THEN ATTEMPTS TO ROLL AWAY TO AVOID BEING HIT BY WHATEVER ATTACK VEGETA MAY BE FOLLOWING UP WITH; VEGETA, HOWEVER, RECOGNIZES WHAT NAPPA IS DOING, AND INSTEAD, PROCEEDS TO RUN TO WHERE NAPPA IS GOING TO; JUST AS NAPPA GETS BACK ONTO HIS FEET, VEGETA GRABS THE BIGGER SAIYAN BY THE COLLAR AND THEN UPPERCUT-PALMS HIM WITH HIS FREE HAND; VEGETA IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWS THIS UP WITH TWO QUICK KICKS, ONE WITH EACH LEG, A KNEE, AND THEN A FLASHKICK; AFTER THIS STRING OF HITS, NAPPA IS ABLE TO JUST RECOVER FROM PAIN AND TRIES TO ESCAPE IN ORDER TO RECOLLECT HIMSELF; VEGETA CONTINUES TO PURSUE AND PROCEEDS TO HIT NAPPA WITH TWO FLASHKICKS AND ANOTHER KNEE, JUST BELOW THE CHEST; NAPPA IS SENT FLYING OFF INTO THE DISTANCE AND THEN LANDS ON THE GROUND, BARELY CONSCIOUS; VEGETA FLIES UP TO WHERE NAPPA IS LYING AND THEN PUTS ONE FOOT ON NAPPA’S CHEST WITH BOTH PALMS AIMED AT HIS DEFEATED OPPONENT>
<BEFORE NAPPA CAN DO ANYTHING, HIS GUARDS RUSH FORWARD AND ATTACK VEGETA’S GROUP>
Saiyan Guard 1: <MID-PUNCH> You’ll never get away with this, maggot!
Saiyan Guard 2: <LUNGING FORWARD> For Nappa! Die, scum!
Vegeta: <ANGRILY; STANDING STILL> Kill them! Quickly, before this gets out of hand! I don’t want a riot on my hands! We need Nappa’s soldiers!
<NAPPA’S LOYAL SOLDIERS EACH ATTACK A DIFFERENT SAIYAN IN VEGETA’S GROUP; SOME OF VEGETA’S UNNAMED GUARDS ARE KILLED, HOWEVER, LAYEECK, DOGOM, ZORN, AND THE OTHERS ALL SHOOT ENERGY BLASTS AT THE SAIYAN GUARDS AND QUICKLY KILL THEM; THEN, THE GROUP MOVES PAST THE SMOLDERING REMAINS OF NAPPA’S PERSONAL GUARDS AND CROWDS AROUND NAPPA HIMSELF; NAPPA LOOKS RATHER UNCOMFORTABLE>
Vegeta: So what do you say, Nappa? Will you swear loyalty to me right now or do you want to end up like your friends over there?
<NAPPA EYES THE BURNING CORPSES FOR A MOMENT; HE LOOKS ANGRY AND SAD AND TIRED; SUDDENLY, NAPPA SHOOTS HIS HAND FORWARD IN A FIST; EVERYONE STEPS BACK IN SURPRISE EXCEPT FOR VEGETA, WHO STAYS WHERE HE IS; JUST BEFORE NAPPA’S FIST HITS HIM, NAPPA STOPS HIS HAND AND OPENS IT; VEGETA SMIRKS AND THEN GRASPS NAPPA’S HAND AND HELPS THE LARGER SAIYAN UP>
Nappa: <LAUGHING HOARSELY> Sure, Vegeta. I’ll help ya. But whaddya actually want?
Vegeta: <CHIN RAISED> The whole damn planet.
- Hyper Zergling originally named this chapter "Outskirts". I renamed it months after we posted this chapter because "Outskirts" is an awful name. One thing I don't really like about Cold Vengeance is that some of the chapter names weren't so good; so I made a conscious effort to not have that happen here. Goliathan is a reference to Nappa himself (he's quite large) and to Vegeta's victory in the duel.
- Despite Artachoc and Ocra being Hyper Zergling's characters, I wrote the opening scene for chapter 2. I did get Hyper Zergling to help with the dialogue though.
- It was important to show the general Saiyan feelings about the Tuffles, which is the main point of the opening scene. Artachoc embodies the hate that a lot of his species has for the Tuffles. The scene also introduces Amanito though, so it serves multiple purposes.
- Ocra is my favorite of Hyper Zergling's Saiyans. Because of that, I try to have her in as many scenes as possible, while Artachoc, Dogom, and Aubere don't concern me as much.
- I thought it would be good to show Amanito as early as possible, even though this chapter is part of the Saiyan unification arc. It makes him a bigger part of the overall story if he's a presence from the start.
- The first scene shows that the Tuffles aren't just passive peace-loving folks. Sure, most of them are, but they do have an army and ambitions of their own. I don't believe they thought the Saiyans would be there, but they did know it was Saiyan territory. Their expansionist mentality somewhat legitimizes Vegeta's fears about the Tuffles as well.
- Artachoc's and Ocra's fighting in this opening scene is highly based on Super Smash Bros Melee.
- I originally had Artachoc say "Today is not the day I die", a reference to Oberyn Martell and Jojen Reed from the television show, Game of Thrones. However, I changed it in the second edit of this chapter's script as I felt it was an unnecessary reference and it worked better to rephrase it to sound more natural coming from a Saiyan.
- The first scene purposefully ends on a cliffhanger - we don't know if Artachoc and Ocra have been killed, but considering they are named, it would be weird to kill them so early. So they shouldn't have been assumed to have died.
- The purpose of the sparring scene with Vegeta and the others was to showcase how much stronger Vegeta was than the others. It helps explain why he ends up beating Nappa (a feared warrior). Vegeta trains far more than Nappa and has a dedication to getting stronger that needed to be shown. This dedication is also passed down to his son, so it should be a familiar personality trait in the Vegeta bloodline to anyone who has seen Dragon Ball Z.
- Paragus panicking too much in combat is a reference to Hyper Zergling doing the same when he plays Halo.
- The idea of the war council came naturally. I knew that Vegeta would have conquered all these tribes and have their leaders as his new soldiers. Why wouldn't they help him formulate strategy? This allowed me to have fun with showing different points of view and different strategies for taking out the opposition. If you notice, Zorn is more cautious, while Paragus wants to always attack the Tuffles swiftly and brutally. The others offer more nuanced advice, and part of Vegeta's growth in the story is to navigate the various ideas and find the best one for his people's survival and victory over their foes.
- Layeeck thinks Nappa is the strongest Saiyan on the planet. I never outright say in the story if he's stronger than Zhukin, but he probably is. Zhukin was defeated by Vegeta much faster than Nappa was.
- Layeeck's concern about warring with the two largest tribes is a concern I had when creating the plot. I didn't see a way for Vegeta to attack Nappa's region without both sides taking tremendous losses. The duel solves that though, and once I thought of that, the entire chapter came together.
- Vegeta's strategy for fighting Nappa is a reference to the fight between The Mountain and the Red Viper in A Song of Ice and Fire.
- I did not spend any time showing Vegeta sending the envoys or any of that stuff because it was unnecessary to do so. Simply cutting to the next day where Vegeta has marched on Nappa's region allows for the pacing to remain as good as it can be.
- I had a very vivid image of Nappa sitting on his throne, and I sought to capture that in the writing. This is the high point of his life. After this moment, he will never hold such a position ever again, so I wanted to capture the regal, rugged warlord that Nappa was. Drinking out of a Saiyan skull is really cool too, in my opinion, and seems like something that brutish guy would do.
- If you are wondering why Nappa would agree to the duel, it's rather simple. For one, he has a Saiyan's pride about him. Refusing the duel would never even occur to someone as proud as Nappa. Another reason is that Nappa was widely considered to be the strongest Saiyan on the planet at this time (even by members of rival tribes), so he had little to fear.
- A lot of the dialogue so far has been okay, but I think it gets really good when Vegeta and Nappa have their conversation together.
- I don't remember who wrote the Nappa vs Vegeta duel. I think we both worked on it, but I don't remember how much each one of us did. There's stuff only HZ would write (flashkicks) and stuff I know I wrote too. Considering HZ didn't write for any other scenes in this chapter, I'm inclined to think that he had a greater role in the fight scene than I did.
- Nappa has a lot of iconic images in this chapter that I would love to see in visual form. Him looking angry and sad before he gives up is just a great moment that illustrates his character better than any line of dialogue could.
- Nappa is often called stupid (deservedly so in most cases), but he shows great survival instincts by giving up to Vegeta. It must have pained him greatly and absolutely destroyed his pride to do so, but he knew he would have died if he hadn't. He valued his life above his image, something not all Saiyans did (Creissa, for example, didn't). It's amazing that a brute such as him could actually find the power to surrender.
3. King of the Badlands
<IT IS THE EARLY EVENING; THE PLANET’S SUN IS JUST BEGINNING TO SET>
<THE CAMERA PANS OVER A VAST DESERT WITH SCANT VEGETATION; THERE ARE MOUNTAINS AND CITIES OFF IN THE DISTANCE; VEGETA’S SAIYAN ARMY COMES INTO VIEW; THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM, THAT SOON THEY TAKE UP THE ENTIRE SCREEN; AT THE HEAD OF THE ARMY IS VEGETA AND HIS TRUSTED ADVISORS; THEY COME UPON A CLIFF OVERLOOK; BELOW THEM IS VEGETA’S HOME (THE SAME ONE SEEN IN CHAPTER 1) – OR, IT USED TO BE; NOW, IT IS A SMOLDERING RUIN; CHARRED CORPSES AND TENTS DOT THE SCORCHED EARTH AND THERE ARE A FEW SMOKE TRAILS RISING FROM THE GROUND>
<THE CAMERA ZOOMS IN ON VEGETA’S FACE; HE LOOKS DEVASTATED AND ANGRY AT THE SAME TIME>
<THE CAMERA CUTS TO NIGHT; VEGETA’S ARMY HAS MADE CAMP ON THE STEPPES; THERE ARE MANY TENTS ERECTED AND FIRES BURNING; VEGETA IS STANDING IN THE SAME PLACE HE WAS PREVIOUSLY, LOOKING DOWN ON HIS DESTROYED HOME; THE WIND IS GOING HARD, CAUSING HIS HAIR AND CLOTHES TO BLOW ABOUT; VEGETA’S ARMS ARE CROSSED>
<FROM BEHIND VEGETA COMES NAPPA, ARTACHOC, AND PARAGUS>
Paragus: This is the Tuffles’ doing, no doubt. We need to eradicate them as soon as possible.
Artachoc: <GROWLING> Yeah, cowards hit us while we had our backs turned.
Vegeta: <NOT TURNING TO FACE THEM> They were peaceful once. What happened? Why this sudden bloodshed?
Nappa: <COMES UP AND PATS VEGETA ON THE SHOULDER> You happened, Vegeta! They’re afraid of ya unitin’ all the tribes!
Artachoc: As well they should be!
Vegeta: <SIGHING> Perhaps… but this is strange, coming from them. I didn’t think they had the audacity to pull such a move. <TURNING HIS HEAD FINALLY; TO ARTACHOC> I thought you said their General just wanted room for a new city?
Artachoc: <SHRUGGING> That’s what he told me.
Vegeta: Then he lied to you. These Tuffle dogs are playing dirty. <LOOKING BACK OVER HIS DESTROYED HOME; FURIOUS> If only we had gotten here a few hours ago, I could have killed every one of those Tuffles with my bare hands! But they have only prolonged the inevitable! I’ll find this Tuffle General and bleed him, myself. I swear it. He’s a fool thinking he can do this to me and get away with it.
Nappa: <CAREFUL> I thought ya needed more soldiers, Vegeta.
Vegeta: We need all of Zhukin’s forces, yes. The Tuffles outnumber us a thousand to one.
Artachoc: But our warriors are worth a thousand of theirs!
Nappa: Heheh, mine are! I know that.
Vegeta: Your soldiers are mine now, Nappa. I beat you in battle.
Nappa: Yeah, ya did. <HE POINTS A FINGER TO THE SKY AND GRINS> And I respect ya for it, boss.
Vegeta: <SHAKING HIS HEAD> All right, get out of here you three. I’ve sent scouts to Zhukin’s territory requesting a meeting with him. Get some sleep. Tomorrow, we will negotiate with him. And if it comes to it, I will kill him. As long as I get his soldiers, that is all that matters.
Nappa: Ya know, they call Zhukin the King of the Badlands. Ha! Who wants ta be king of a desert? I know I wouldn’t.
Vegeta: <NARROWING HIS EYES> There will be only one king by the end of this.
<WITH THAT, THE OTHERS SAY GOODNIGHT AND WALK OFF TO GET SOME SLEEP>
<CUTS TO A LARGE CITY WITH MANY TOWERING SKYSCRAPERS AND BUSTLING STREETS>
<INSIDE ONE OF THE LARGEST SKYSCRAPERS, THE FIGURE OF GENERAL AMANITO, THE TUFFLE WHO FOUGHT ARTACHOC IN THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER, WALKS INTO VIEW; HE IS WEARING HIS ORNATE BLUE AND WHITE ARMOR SANS HIS HELMET, WHICH HE IS CARRYING IN HIS HAND; HE IS IN A DARK CIRCULAR ROOM; THERE IS ONLY A SINGLE DIM LIGHT HANGING OVER THE CENTER OF THE ROOM>
<AS AMANITO MOVES FORWARD, HE KNEELS AND BOWS HIS HEAD>
<ABOVE AMANITO ARE EIGHT OLD TUFFLES WEARING DARK BLUE ROBES; THEY ARE SITTING BEHIND A RAISED BENCH WROUGHT WITH FINE WOOD CARVINGS ACROSS IT; THEY ARE LOOK RATHER WEAK AND TIRED, BUT THEIR EYES ARE SHINING BRIGHT>
Tuffle Councilor 1: Update us on the status of the Saiyan threat, General.
Amanito: <AMANITO LOOKS UP; HIS FACE CONTORTS IN DISGUST> The vermin will be dealt with, my lords and ladies. <HE NODS TO THEM> I am currently outfitting our soldiers with the most up-to-date technology. Once they are outfitted, I will deploy our full forces into the field.
Tuffle Councilor 2: <SCRATCHING HER CHIN WITH A LONG FINGER> We have never before needed such an army, General. We are a peaceful race. This is most unnatural.
Amanito: If I do not lead our troops against the Saiyans, we will have the scourge of their hordes at our city walls within a fortnight! There is a Saiyan named Vegeta who is uniting all of the Saiyan tribes. Soon, he will have the full might of his race behind him. What are we to do? Sit back? Or fight for our survival?
Tuffle Councilor 3: Quite right, quite right, General. We must protect our people at all costs.
Tuffle Councilor 4: Before, the Saiyans were no threat to us. But now that the mongrel tribes have been united, I fear for our safety. These are troubling times.
Amanito: I will need additional power to command our forces across the planet. It will take our entire resources to rid this planet of the Saiyan filth. I can only do so with full discretion.
<THE TUFFLE COUNCILORS TURN TO ONE ANOTHER AND CONVERSE FOR A MOMENT; THEN, THEY LOOK BACK AT AMANITO, THEIR EYES SHINING>
Tuffle Councilor 2: Very well, General. We will grant you temporary executive powers. This High Council has ruled the Tuffle race for a thousand years, but if we must break tradition to survive, we will. <THE OTHERS NOD IN AGREEMENT> As soon as all of the Saiyans are eliminated, you will return your power back to us.
Amanito: <STANDS UP AND BOWS> Thank you, my lords and ladies. I will use all my powers to kill this Vegeta and his barbaric hordes. I swear it on my life.
<HE BOWS AGAIN AND EXITS WITH HIS HEAD HELD HIGH>
<CUTS BACK TO VEGETA’S CAMP; IT IS STILL NIGHT>
<NAPPA WALKS TO HIS TENT; LAYEECK IS MILLING OUTSIDE OF IT>
Nappa: Whaddya want?
Layeeck: I want to know something, Nappa.
Nappa: <BOOMING SNEER> Out with it, then! I’m tired.
Layeeck: How can I be sure of your loyalty to Vegeta?
Nappa: Cuz I’m not stupid. The strongest Saiyan gets ta be leader. And for now, that’s Vegeta. He’d kill me if I tried anything.
Layeeck: <CURIOUS> For now?
Nappa: We made a battlepact, ya idiot. Ya were there. Ya saw it! He beat me fair’n’square. Besides, ya know all Saiyans take battlepacts seriously.
Layeeck: But you aren’t like most Saiyans.
Nappa: <EVIL GRIN> Heheheh! <RAISES HIS FIST TO THE AIR> Nah, I’m somethin’ special–
<SUDDENLY, NAPPA IS HIT IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD AND THROWN FORWARD; HE LANDS FACE-FIRST IN THE DIRT; THREE BLACK FLASHES MOVE BY LAYEECK AND RUSH NAPPA; IN A MOMENT, THE HULKING SAIYAN IS UP; HE LETS OUT A ROAR AND LUNGES FORWARD WITH A SWINGING PUNCH; THIS CATCHES THE FIRST BLACK FIGURE IN THE CHEST, KNOCKING IT OVER; HE THEN CREATES A SMALL EXPLOSIVE WAVE WHICH KNOCKS ALL THREE OF THEM AWAY FROM HIM>
Nappa: Assassins! <TO LAYEECK> Heh, wanna squish some bugs, Layeeck?
<BOTH NAPPA AND LAYEECK SHOUT AND THEIR AURAS COME UP AROUND THEM; THE THREE FIGURES CLOTHED IN BLACK COME BACK INTO SIGHT, THOUGH THEY DON’T ATTACK YET; INSTEAD, THEY ENCIRCLE THE TWO SAIYANS; BOTH LAYEECK AND NAPPA PREPARE ENERGY IN THEIR HANDS; NAPPA’S ENERGY IS WHITE, LAYEECK’S IS PURPLE AND BLACK>
<ALL TOGETHER, THE THREE ASSASSINS JUMP FORWARD; NAPPA LUNGES AT TWO OF THEM, THROWING HIS ENERGY WILDLY; LAYEECK STEPS BACK AND AIMS AT THE LAST ASSASSIN, SHOOTING HIS KYORRA FLASH CALMLY; HOWEVER, THE TWO SAIYANS SOON REALIZE THEIR FOLLY AS THE ENERGY BLASTS GO STRAIGHT THROUGH THE AFTERIMAGES; THEN, FROM ABOVE, THE THREE ASSASSINS COME SCREAMING DOWN; TWO OF THEM KICK NAPPA IN THE HEAD, CAUSING HIM TO STAGGER BACK; ONE JUMPS DOWN ON LAYEECK AND PINS HIM TO THE GROUND; LAYEECK AND THE ASSASSIN START ROLLING AROUND IN THE DIRT TRYING TO GAIN DOMINANCE>
<NAPPA CREATES A WHIRLWIND KI ATTACK THAT PUSHES THE ASSASSINS BACK; THEN, HE JUMPS AT ONE AND CLUBS IT DOWN IN THE DIRT; IT FLIES INTO A CRATER AND DOES NOT MOVE AGAIN; THE OTHER ONE EVADES NAPPA’S SECOND LUNGE AND KICKS HIM IN THE BACK WITH A FLURRY OF KICKS; NAPPA ANGRILY SPINS AROUND, THROWING A WHITE KI BLAST AT THE FOE; THE ASSASSIN SIMPLY BLOCKS THIS ATTACK AND TELEPORTS OUT OF SIGHT; NAPPA SPINS AROUND LOOKING FOR THE ASSASSIN WENT WHEN A RED ENERGY BLAST COMES FLYING AT HIM FROM ABOVE HIM; HE LOOKS UP IN TIME JUST TO SEE IT HIT HIM IN THE FACE; A LARGE EXPLOSION GOES OFF, CONJURING UP TONS OF SMOKE AND DUST AND ROCK FRAGMENTS; AS THE SMOKE SETTLES, NAPPA IS SEEN TO BE STANDING IN THE SAME PLACE; HIS CLOTHES ARE IN TATTERS AND HIS FOREHEAD HAS A BLOODY GASH ON IT; THE ASSASSIN IS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN>
Nappa: So that’s how ya wanna play, is it?! I’ll make you pay for scratchin’ my face!
<THE ASSASSIN THEN TELEPORTS BEHIND NAPPA AND GOES FOR A DEEP PUNCH; HOWEVER, NAPPA SPINS AROUND AND ELBOWS THE ASSASSIN BACKWARDS; AS THE FOE IS STUMBLING, NAPPA JUMPS FORWARD AND SLAMS EACH HAND AGAINST THE SIDE OF THE ASSASIN’S BODY, AS IF HE WERE CLAPPING WITH THE FOE IN BETWEEN THEM; THE ASSASSIN LETS OUT A SCREAM AND SPITS UP BLOOD FROM THE DARK SHROUDS COVERING HIS FACE; THEN, NAPPA GRABS HIM BY THE TAIL, PULLS HIM UP FROM THE GROUND, AND SLAMS HIM BACK TO THE DIRT, MERCILESSLY; AFTER THREE OR FOUR SLAMS, THERE IS A MODERATE CRATER WITH BLOOD STREAKS IN IT; THE ASSASSIN’S BODY IS LIMP; NAPPA THROWS IT INTO THE AIR AND INCINERATES IT WITH A QUICK KI BLAST>
<BEHIND HIM, LAYEECK IS STILL FIGHTING THE LAST ASSASSIN; LAYEECK IS NOW ON TOP OF HIS OPPONENT AND HAS HIS ARMS AROUND THE SAIYAN’S NECK; HE HAS RIPPED OFF THE ASSASSIN’S SHROUD, SO THIS ASSASSIN’S HEAD AND NECK ARE ARE BARE; THERE ARE DEEP CUTS IN THE ASSASSIN’S NECK AND BLOOD IS RUNNING FREELY DOWN LAYEECK’S ARMS>
<LAYEECK STARTS SQUEEZING THE LIFE OUT OF THE SAIYAN WHEN THE ASSASSIN SHOOTS A MOUTH BEAM AT LAYEECK, WHICH HITS HIM IN THE FACE; HE FALLS OFF OF THE ASSASSIN; AS LAYEECK HOWLS IN PAIN AND CLUTCHES AT HIS BURNT FACE, THE ASSASSIN KICKS LAYEECK TO THE TURF AND STARTS CHOKING HIM; LAYEECK STRUGGLES AGAINST IT, BUT HE CANNOT EASILY BREAK FREE; SO LAYEECK LEANS FORWARD AND BITES THE ASSASSIN’S HAND, TEARING SKIN AND MUSCLE AND TENDONS ALL AT ONCE; THE ASSASSIN SCREAM AND LAYEECK HEADBUTTS HIM, THEN KICKS HIM BACK; THEN, LAYEECK DOES A DIAGONAL FLIP, LANDS, AND DOES A SWIFT KICK TO THE ASSASSIN’S THROAT; THE ASSASSIN COUGHS AND HIS FACE LOOKS SURPRISED, AND THEN HE FALLS, DEAD>
<LAYEECK AND NAPPA STAND HUNCHED OVER FOR A MOMENT, PANTING AND MOANING IN PAIN>
Nappa: <BREATHING HARD> Hahaha! What a bunch of fools! They should know better than ta attack me! I’m the greatest Saiyan in the world!
Layeeck: <STANDING UP STRAIGHT> Shut up, Nappa! Why would anybody send assassins after you?
Nappa: <PROUDLY> Cuz I’m special.
Layeeck: No, that can’t be it. Someone must be trying to kill us off before we reunite the tribes. <MORE TO HIMSELF THAN TO NAPPA> That’s the only reason I can think of. <TO NAPPA> But if they sent assassins after you, that means they must have sent assassins after…
Layeeck & Nappa: <TOGETHER; SURPRISED; HORRIFIED> Vegeta!
<LAYEECK AND NAPPA RUN OFF TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO VEGETA>
<CUTS TO ANOTHER TENT AT A VIEW FROM OVERHEAD, WITH SEVERAL SAIYANS STANDING AROUND IT, GUARDING; TWO SAIYANS DRESSED SIMILARLY TO THE ONES WHO ATTACKED NAPPA FLY TOWARDS THE SAIYANS ON THE GROUND; THE SAIYANS GUARDING THE TENT DO NOT NOTICE>
<THE ASSASSINS DISPATCH EACH GUARD SILENTLY BY EITHER BREAKING HIS NECK, OR FIRING A POINT-BLANK QUIET-BUT-LETHAL KI BLAST AT THEIR HEAD; ONE SUCH KI BLAST, HOWEVER, FAILS TO KILL ONE OF THE GUARDS, CAUSING HIM TO SCREAM; THE ASSASSIN FINISHES OFF THE GUARD BY SMASHING THE VICTIM’S SKULL ONTO HIS KNEE>
<THE FAILURE TO REMAIN SILENT DOES NOT GO UNNOTICED; DOGOM IMMEDIATELY BURSTS OUT OF THE TENT AND FLIES INTO THE ASSASSIN WITH A SIDE KICK; BEFORE HIS ENEMY CAN RECOVER FROM THE ATTACK, DOGOM DUCKS UNDER THE ASSASSIN AND SCORPION-KICKS HIM INTO THE AIR; DOGOM THEN FLIES AT HIS ENEMY, PREPARING TO FINISH HIM OFF>
<THE OTHER ASSASSIN FLIES INTO DOGOM FROM THE SIDE TO SAVE HIS PARTNER; THE TWO ASSASSINS THEN CLOSE IN ON DOGOM, AND FIGHT HIM TWO-ON-ONE IN CLOSE QUARTERS; DOGOM IS ABLE TO HOLD HIS OWN FOR SOME TIME, BUT BEGINS TO TAKE STRAY HITS HE FAILS TO BLOCK; TO REGAIN HIS MOMENTUM IN THE FIGHT, DOGOM RELEASES A SHORT-RANGED EXPLOSIVE WAVE THAT PUSHES BOTH ENEMIES AWAY IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS; DOGOM IMMEDIATELY CLOSES IN ON THE FIRST ASSASSIN AND FLASH-KICKS HIM RIGHT THROUGH THE CHIN, SENDING A SHOCKWAVE UP HIS JAW AND INTO THE UPPER PART OF HIS SKULL, KILLING HIM INSTANTLY>
<THE OTHER ASSASSIN DOES NOT FALTER, HOWEVER, AND CHARGES AT DOGOM; AS HANDLING ONE OPPONENT IS SIGNIFICANTLY EASIER THAN HANDLING TWO, DOGOM ALSO RUNS TOWARDS THE ASSASSIN; DOGOM RELEASES ANOTHER SMALL EXPLOSIVE WAVE; WHILE HIS OPPONENT IS STUNNED, DOGOM JABS THE ATTACKER, FLIES ACROSS THE ENEMY WHILE SPINNING, HITTING THE ENEMY WITH HIS LEFT LEG, REPEATS THIS TWO-STRIKE COMBINATION, JABS ONCE MORE, AND THEN GRABS HIS ATTACKER BY THE THROAT; WITH A SMILE, DOGOM THROWS THE ASSASSIN INTO THE AIR, FIRES TWO FINGER BEAMS AT THE OPPONENT, AND THEN FLIES UP TO THE OPPONENT WITH A FRONT FLIP; WHILE UPSIDE DOWN, DOGOM AXE-KICKS THE ASSASSIN RIGHT IN THE CHEST, BREAKING SEVERAL RIBS AND STOPPING HIS HEART IN THE PROCESS; THE ATTACKER’S LIFELESS BODY CONTINUES TO FLY UPWARDS FROM THE FORCE OF DOGOM’S KICK, WHILE DOGOM RETURNS TO THE GROUND; REALIZING THAT VEGETA WAS LIKELY IN DANGER AS WELL, HE LEAVES THE GROUND ONCE MORE TO HEAD TO THE SAIYAN LEADER’S LOCATION>
<CUTS TO VEGETA>
<THE CAMERA SHOWS THAT VEGETA IS STILL WHERE HE WAS WHEN HE TOLD NAPPA AND THE OTHERS TO LEAVE HIM EARLIER THAT NIGHT; THERE ARE DEAD GUARDS AND ASSASSINS LYING ON THE GROUND, AND THERE ARE MANY CRATERS FROM ENERGY BLASTS AND IMPACTS; DOGOM, NAPPA, AND LAYEECK COME RUNNING UP; VEGETA HAS CUTS AND BRUISES ALONG HIS FACE AND ARMS; HE IS HOLDING AN ASSASSIN BY THE NECK WITH A SINGLE HAND>
Vegeta: <TEETH BLOODY> Who sent you?!
Assassin: Like I’d tell you!
Vegeta: <SQUEEZES THE ASSASSIN’S NECK HARDER, CAUSING THE SAIYAN TO WRITHE IN PAIN> Answer or die, scum. I will not waste time with you any longer.
<THE ASSASSIN SPITS AT VEGETA; VEGETA SNARLS AND THEN RIPS OUT THE ASSASSIN’S THROAT; THE SAIYAN HUNCHES OVER AS BLOOD SPRAYS OUT OF HIS OPEN WOUND; VEGETA PUNCHES HIM UP INTO THE AIR, THEN FOLLOWS THIS UP WITH A TELEPORT SPINNING KICK AND A SWIFT BEAM TO THE HEAD; THE ASSASSIN’S LIFELESS BODY DESCENDS TO THE GROUND JUST AFTER VEGETA LANDS AND NOTICES NAPPA, DOGOM, AND LAYEECK BEFORE HIM>
Vegeta: <GESTURES TO THE DEAD SAIYANS ON THE GROUND> Zhukin’s assassins. I think they were his best soldiers. Shame they had to die before we could add them to our ranks. But they wouldn’t answer my questions.
Layeeck: We know, Vegeta. He sent some after us, too.
Vegeta: <SHAKING HIS HEAD> So Zhukin wanted to take all of us out?
Dogom: It makes sense, though. If he eliminated all of the former tribe leaders, he would have no competition.
Nappa: <LAUGHING> King of the Badlands, huh?!
Vegeta: Not for much longer. Before these assassins attacked me, my scouts returned and told me Zhukin had agreed to our meeting. <FEELING HIS WRISTS> But there won’t be a meeting now. We’re going to kill that bastard, no questions asked. Gather up your best men, brothers. We’ll need them tomorrow.
<CUTS TO THE NEXT DAY>
<IT IS FOGGY; IT IS RAINING; IT IS MUDDY>
<VEGETA’S PERSONAL GUARD MAKES ITS WAY THROUGH THE MUD UNTIL THEY REACH A GROUP OF TENTS SURROUNDED BY A PALISADE WALL; THE PLACE HAS NO GATE, SO THEY ENTER WITHOUT STOPPING; AS THEY DO, HOWEVER, THEY SEE MULTIPLE SAIYANS ABOUT; MANY OF THEM ARE SITTING BEHIND THE WALLS ON RAISED PLATFORMS, THOUGH OTHERS ARE STANDING ABOUT; THEY ALL GIVE HATEFUL LOOKS TO VEGETA’S TEAM>
Saiyan: <FEMALE SAIYAN SITTING ON THE WALL; SHE SNEERS AT VEGETA’S GROUP; TO LAYEECK AND OCRA IN PARTICULAR> You won’t be getting out of here alive.
Ocra: <FROWNING> We’ll see about that.
<THE SAIYAN FEMALE SPITS AT THEM, BUT VEGETA IGNORES HER; HE STRIDES FORWARD, CONFIDENTLY, UNTIL HE COMES INTO A TENT; THE TENT IS QUITE LARGE, AND IT HAS MANY HOLES IN THE TOP OF IT, ALLOWING FOR SCANT LINES OF FOGGY LIGHT TO SHINE THROUGH; THERE ARE SAIYANS LINING THE WALLS OF THE TENT; VEGETA AND HIS GROUP ENTER AND THEY SOON SPREAD OUT OVER ONE HALF OF THE TENT>
<STANDING IN THE CENTER OF THE TENT IS A TALL SAIYAN WITH ONE BLACK EYE; HIS OTHER IS COVERED BY AN EYEPATCH; HE IS WEARING DARK FUR PANTS, BLACK GLOVES, AND A LONG FUR CAPE; UPON HIS HEAD IS A CROWN MADE OF GOLD AND BONE, POKING OUT BETWEEN TUFTS OF SHAGGY BLACK HAIR; HIS FACE IS COVERED IN STUBBLE, AND THE REST OF HIS BODY IS COVERED IN SCARS; THIS SAIYAN IS CLEARLY ZHUKIN>
Zhukin: <SMILING> Vegeta… so nice to see you are well. <RAISES HIS EYEBROWS> Have you come to finally bend the knee?
Vegeta: <FROWNING> You would be wise to do just that. I have more soldiers than you. I have united the other tribes. I hold the advantage.
Zhukin: <SHRUGGING> Do you? <HE STEPS FORWARD AND STARTS WALKING DOWN THE LINE OF VEGETA’S SOLDIERS> Ah, Zorn. <HE NODS TO ZORN> Dogom. <HE NODS TO DOGOM> Paragus, my friend! How is my daughter treating you? Is she with child yet?
Paragus: <GRUFFLY> She is a fine wife. That’s all you need to know.
Zhukin: <SMIRKING> Pity she couldn’t make it. But I’ll be seeing her soon enough. I promise you that. <HE MOVES ON> Nappa! I am surprised you are here. I never thought I’d see you playing Vegeta’s dog.
Nappa: <GROWLING> Careful, kingy. We wouldn’t want to mess up your crown.
Zhukin: <CHUCKLES AND THEN MOVES TO VEGETA> I count five tribe leaders, Vegeta. Where is Creissa?
Layeeck: <COLDLY> Dead. And you’ll suffer the same fate if you don’t surrender.
Zhukin: <NARROWING HIS EYES; HIS SMIRK IS STILL ON HIS FACE, THOUGH IT HAS LESSENED> A king does not kneel.
Artachoc: Oh yeah? Who made you the king, anyway?!
Zhukin: <PUTS HIS ARMS OUT TO HIS SIDES, PRESENTING HIS BODY TO THE ONLOOKERS> Why, these scars did. I took my crown with my own sweat and blood. I did not beg anyone for it. I did not negotiate for it. <HE LOOKS AT VEGETA> You may have more Saiyans, Vegeta, but I have more experience in the field of battle. You are truly a fool if you think you can best me.
Vegeta: <RAISING HIS CHIN> I don’t want it to come to bloodshed.
Zhukin: <TEETH FLASHING IN HIS SMILE> Hasn’t it already?
Vegeta: Your assassins failed like all the rest. And so will you, if you try anything.
Zhukin: <WALKING RIGHT UP TO VEGETA> I am not like the other tribe leaders. I am not a coward. I am a descendant of the last Legendary Super Saiyan! I am his successor. <SLOWLY AND DELIBERATELY> It is my right to lead our people.
Vegeta: Do you even know why I’m uniting our people? Do you have the slightest idea?
Zhukin: <LAUGHS> You want to defeat the Tuffles, don’t you?
Vegeta: I want the Saiyans to return to our former glory. This is our planet, not theirs.
Zhukin: <FLICKS HIS FINGERS, AND A SAIYAN GUARD COMES FORWARD> The Tuffles outnumber us a thousand to one. You cannot hope to conquer them. You have to be quite naive to think you could. But I am not like you, Vegeta. I have dealt with the Tuffles in another way. <THE GUARD REACHES ZHUKIN AND DISPLAYS SEVERAL ENERGY RIFLES, SCOUTER-LIKE DEVICES, AND HEAVY BATTLE ARMOR> I have made them my allies.
Vegeta: <EYES WIDENING> No…!
Zhukin: <GRABS AN ENERGY RIFLE AND STARTS WAVING IT AROUND AS HE WALKS ABOUT THE TENT> Do you know where we are, Vegeta? Do you know what this place is?
Vegeta: The seat of the last Legendary Super Saiyan. It’s where he ruled our last great empire from.
Zhukin: <NODDING> Aye. It’s just a barren rock now. A memory of the past. But not for long. With the Tuffle technology and the power of my armies, I will take back what is rightfully mine! I will rebuild this place into a mighty city. And I will rule our race as a Legendary Super Saiyan!
Vegeta: You’re insane…!
Zhukin: So we come to it at last. <POINTING THE ENERGY RIFLE AT VEGETA> Bow or die.
<ZHUKIN FIRES THE RIFLE, AUGMENTED BY HIS OWN KI RESERVES, RIGHT AT VEGETA; THE BLAST GOES RIGHT THROUGH VEGETA’S FACE, SHOWING HIS BODY TO BE AN AFTERIMAGE; BEFORE ZHUKIN CAN REACT, VEGETA REAPPEARS BEHIND ZHUKIN AND GRABS HIM BY THE BACK OF THE HEAD; HE CREATES A PURPLE ENERGY BALL AND USES THAT TO HIT ZHUKIN DOWN INTO THE GROUND; THE ENERGY BALL EXPLODES, SHOOTING DUST UP EVERYWHERE; ZHUKIN YELLS, CREATING TWO ENERGY BEAMS IN EACH HAND AND THEN SHOOTS THEM WILDLY; VEGETA’S SOLDIERS HAVE TO JUMP OUT OF THE WAY TO DODGE THEM; AS ZHUKIN STANDS UP, VEGETA LUNGES AT HIM AND PUNCHES HIM UP INTO THE AIR; VEGETA FLIES UP AFTER HIM, BUT ZHUKIN DODGES THE ATTACK AND BICYCLE KICKS VEGETA BACK TO THE TURF; BEFORE VEGETA CAN STAND UP, ZHUKIN SHOOTS HIM WITH A STREAM OF ENERGY BLASTS; VEGETA IS HIT BY MANY OF THEM, BUT HE TELEPORTS OUT OF THE WAY AFTER A MOMENT; HE COMES UP BEHIND ZHUKIN AND PUNCHES THE SAIYAN IN THE SMALL OF THE BACK; ZHUKIN SPINS AROUND AND THE TWO BRIEFLY ENGAGE IN A BLOW EXCHANGE; THEN, ZHUKIN GRABS VEGETA BY THE TAIL; VEGETA SHRIEKS IN PAIN AND FALLS TO HIS KNEES>
Zhukin: You sad fool. <HE READIES A GREEN ENERGY BEAM AND PUTS HIS PALM RIGHT IN FRONT OF VEGETA’S NECK> I told you you can’t beat me.
<VEGETA’S MEN LOWER INTO BATTLE STANCES, MANY OF THEM READYING THEIR OWN ENERGY ATTACKS>
Zhukin: <TO HIS OWN SAIYANS> Stay them, if they decide to come forward. Leave Paragus. I don’t want to make my daughter a widow quite yet. <LOOKING BACK DOWN TO VEGETA; HE GRIPS VEGETA’S TAIL HARDER, CAUSING THE SAIYAN TO SCREAM OUT IN PAIN> Look, Vegeta. You’re kneeling! Now die!
<ZHUKIN GOES TO SHOOT THE ENERGY BEAM WHEN VEGETA CREATES A BLUE ENERGY BALL AND THROWS IT AT THE GROUND RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM; THIS CAUSES A MASSIVE EXPLOSION THAT FORCES DUST AND ROCK FRAGMENTS INTO THE AIR; ZHUKIN FIRES HIS BLAST AFTER A MOMENT OF BEING STUNNED, BUT IT IS TOO LATE; VEGETA HAS BROKEN FREE OF ZHUKIN’S GRIP AND HAS DISAPPEARED; IN THE DUST, ZHUKIN WHIRLS AROUND>
Zhukin: Where is he?! <HE LOOKS TO HIS GUARDS, WHO ARE ALSO LOOKING AROUND> Where is he?! <TO VEGETA> Come out, coward! A true Saiyan does not run from battle!
<EVEN AS ZHUKIN IS LOOKING FOR VEGETA, VEGETA’S ALLIES RUSH FORWARD AND START ATTACKING; LAYEECK, ZORN, AND DOGOM TAKE THE RIGHT SIDE; ARTACHOC, OCRA, AND LASCON TAKE THE LEFT SIDE; NAPPA AND PARAGUS TAKE THE MIDDLE; SOON, THE TENT IS FULL OF ENERGY BLASTS GOING OFF AND SCREAMS ECHOING ABOUT; IN THE CHAOS, ZHUKIN IS WANDERING AROUND LOOKING FOR VEGETA; ENERGY BLASTS AND PUFFS OF DUST ARE SHOOTING PAST HIM>
<SUDDENLY, ZHUKIN DUCKS AND SPINS AROUND; VEGETA APPEARS BEHIND HIM, THROWING A PUNCH; AFTER DODGING THE ATTACK, ZHUKIN ATTACKS VEGETA, BUT VEGETA JUMPS BACK AND SPINS OUT OF THE WAY; ZHUKIN FOLLOWS THIS UP WITH A FLURRY OF PUNCHES AND KICKS WHICH VEGETA EASILY DODGES IN THE FRAY OF BATTLE; SWEAT IS RUNNING DOWN ZHUKIN’S FACE, BUT HE CANNOT LAND AN ATTACK; HE STARTS SHOOTING ENERGY AT VEGETA; VEGETA STARTS HITTING THESE ASIDE AS WELL>
Vegeta: <OVER THE ROAR OF BATTLE; TWO SAIYANS FALL DEAD BEHIND HIM AS HE’S SPEAKING> Surrender, Zhukin! It’s lost!
<ZHUKIN JUST LAUGHS AND THROWS A LARGE ENERGY BLAST AT VEGETA; VEGETA PUTS UP HIS ARMS TO BLOCK THE ATTACK; IT HITS HIM AND CAUSES A LARGE EXPLOSION OF FIRE; THE FIRE CONSUMES VEGETA’S VISAGE; ZHUKIN WATCHES THIS, HIS EYE GLIMMERING WITH THE FLAMES; HE YELLS IN VICTORY>
<THEN THE SMOKE CLEARS AND VEGETA IS STANDING THERE UNHARMED BY ZHUKIN’S ATTACK>
Zhukin: <EYES BULGING; FEAR OVERTAKING HIM> What… no! That was my strongest attack.
<VEGETA FROWNS AT ZHUKIN AND THEN SHOOTS A RED FINGER BEAM AT THE KING; IT HITS ZHUKIN IN THE NECK, CAUSING IT TEAR OPEN; BLOOD STARTS SPURTING OUT; ZHUKIN GRASPS AT HIS NECK AND FALLS TO HIS KNEES; VEGETA SUDDENLY AIR DASHES FORWARD AND PUNCHES ZHUKIN IN THE FACE, KNOCKING HIM TO THE GROUND; VEGETA THEN REACHES DOWN AND RIPS ZHUKIN’S CROWN OFF OF HIS HEAD; EVEN AS ZHUKIN IS DYING, HE WATCHES VEGETA GRASP THE CROWN AND THE DESTROY IT WITH A SMALL ENERGY EXPLOSION; HIS EYES WIDEN MORE>
Vegeta: You are no Legendary Super Saiyan. You are no king. You are no warrior. Die as nothing, Zhukin.
<THE SCREEN PANS BACK AND SILHOUETTES BEHIND SOME ENERGY EXPLOSIONS AS HE SHOOTS A SMALL GALICK BEAM INTO ZHUKIN’S FACE, KILLING HIM; AROUND VEGETA, THE SOLDIERS ARE STILL BATTLING; A FEW QUICK SCENES SHOW EACH OF VEGETA’S NAMED ALLIES RUTHLESSLY KILLING ZHUKIN’S GUARDS; SOON THE BATTLING STOPS AND THERE IS SILENCE; THE GROUP WALKS UP BEHIND VEGETA AND LOOKS AT ZHUKIN’S CORPSE>
Layeeck: <BREATHING HARD> It’s finally over…
Nappa: <GRINNING> Haha, Zhukin doesn’t look like a king no more!
Dogom: Vegeta, we still need to take in his people. It’ll be harder to convince them to join us without Zhukin surrendering. They may try to resist.
Vegeta: <LOOKING DOWN AT ZHUKIN> I’ll go and see them myself. Once I show them his corpse, they’ll know there’s a new king of the Saiyans. Then they’ll fall with the rest. <HE TURNS AROUND AND LOOKS AT HIS SAIYANS> You have done well today, brothers. But now we must focus our attention on our true enemies. The Tuffles will pay for what they have done to us – for allying with Zhukin and soiling our honor as Saiyans, for killing our people, and for destroying our homes. If they want a war, then we’ll give them one. They are fools to underestimate us. It’s time we show these Tuffle dogs the true might of the Saiyans!
<THE OTHERS RAISE THEIR FISTS INTO THE AIR AND ROAR IN APPROVAL; THE SCREEN ZOOMS OUT SLIGHTLY>
<ABRUPT TO BLACK>
- This chapter was named by me. It is an ambiguous title, as both Zhukin and Vegeta are kings of the badlands in this chapter. I mainly named the chapter "King of the Badlands" because of what such a title implies about the future war with the Tuffles.
- I had Vegeta's territory be destroyed by the Tuffles to show that he is not invincible. Not everything goes right for him. This was important since he wins all of his battles against the other Saiyan leaders (which was unavoidable unless I wanted to draw out the unification plotline and ruin the pacing of the story). It was important to show that Vegeta could be defeated and how those defeats affected him.
- The Tuffles attacked Vegeta because they had formed an alliance with Zhukin (as hinted at later in the chapter). The attack was meant to weaken Zhukin's greatest threat.
- The other Saiyans were rarely the focus of this story. I did some stuff with Layeeck and Cyleria primarily because those are my characters and I wanted to show their origins as much as possible, and HZ did some stuff with his own Saiyans. Everyone else didn't really have overarching plots. I think that what we did with Cyleria and Layeeck and HZ's Saiyans was good, but much more than that would have detracted too much away from the central plot of Vegeta's conquest. But I did try to showcase them in battle as much as possible, and you'll notice that during meetings, I try to vary who is speaking as much as possible. Every named Saiyan present usually gets a line or two of dialogue. No one is forgotten in that way.
- The Tuffles burning Vegeta's home foreshadows Vegeta's struggle against Amanito and also gives some metaphorical meaning to Vegeta losing his home as he conquers the other tribes.
- This chapter takes place during the Saiyan unification part of the story, but I still wanted to introduce Amanito's perspective, since he's the main villain. Showing a scene from his point of view gives a clearer picture of Amanito to the readers, plus it shows a bit more of Tuffle life, which HZ and I were excited to explore. The concept of the oligarchy ruling the Tuffles wasn't a reference to anything. It simply seemed like an interesting counterpoint to the Saiyan idea of kings ruling tribes. Democracy and republicanism seemed a bit cliched, so we didn't use either.
- The Tuffle councilors' eyes shining bright is a reference to The Collective in The Last Saiyan.
- Amanito is allowed to become a dictator in much the same way Palpatine was in the Star Wars universe.
- The Amanito scene really highlights the identity struggle the Tuffles are having in this war. They don't want to fight the Saiyans as they are a peaceful race, but they know they must, since doing nothing will result in their own demise. To survive, they must become something they are not - something only Amanito is embracing openly. It's quite the existential crisis for the Tuffles.
- The Layeeck and Nappa scene was written to address (theoretical) audience concerns about how the Saiyans Vegeta has conquered could possibly be loyal to him moving forward. Saiyan culture is different from human culture, and one thing they all agree on is that the strongest amongst them must lead. Battlepacts are sacred; those who fight one another must honor the terms of them. If a Saiyan is defeated, they are no leader. That is an important reason as to why Vegeta couldn't lose any battles against fellow Saiyan tribes for this story to work.
- To make Zhukin's chapter a bit different from Nappa's, I had Zhukin send assassins. This shows that Zhukin is smarter than Nappa and also shows that he has the awareness to consider Vegeta a legitimate threat to his own kingdom.
- Nappa getting angry at the assassin for scratching his face is a nod to Nappa having a similar thing happen to him during his fight with the Z Fighters in Dragon Ball Z.
- I am rather proud of the fight scene between the assassins and the named Saiyans. It's a very gritty fight with lots of blood and brutality, and it showcases how feral the Saiyans can be. There is no elegance or grace in the fighting, and I really like that.
- HZ wrote the scene with Dogom and the assassins.
- We decided that Nappa and Layeeck would find Vegeta after Vegeta had dealt with his assassins for pacing reasons. This chapter was already pretty long by this point, and we hadn't even gotten to the critical scene with Zhukin, so that's why we did that.
- The female Saiyan who jeers at Ocra is Cyleria. HZ and I came up with that long before writing this scene. However, it was originally supposed to be in Nappa's territory. I moved it back to this chapter as I wanted Cyleria to be part of Zhukin's tribe more than I wanted her to be a part of Nappa's. Also, since Zhukin dies and Nappa does not, putting Cyleria with Zhukin allows her to have some angst and reservations about Vegeta later on in the story (which would be impossible if she was a part of Nappa's tribe).
- Zhukin is one of my favorite characters in this story. I had a great deal of fun coming up with his look, which is why it's so colorful and specific in the text. I had a very clear image of him in my mind while writing this chapter.
- Zhukin greeting the other tribe leaders shows that he knows them and is more aware of the other regions than Vegeta was at the beginning of chapter 1. His comment to Paragus is crucially important, even though it is said in passing. Basically, as Zhukin asserts in this chapter, he is the descendant of the last Legendary Super Saiyan. He considers himself to be the next one, which is why he commands so many people (he is seen as the legitimate ruler of the Saiyans by those who respect their traditions and believe Zhukin's claims). However, Zhukin is not actually the Legendary Super Saiyan, as we all know. Broly is. And guess what - this chapter reveals that Zhukin's daughter is Paragus' mate. So her son is Broly. This is just a subtle bit of dialogue from Zhukin, but it really tells a whole lot, and it was very satisfying for me to tie the fanon and canon elements of this story together in such a subtle way. It affirms that Zhukin is a descendant of the Legendary Super Saiyan but also confirms that he is definitely not the Legendary Super Saiyan.
- The extent of Zhukin's alliance with the Tuffles is never stated in this story. It's left open to interpretation. I personally believe that the Tuffles would have betrayed Zhukin later in the future, perhaps in a sort of Caesar-esque moment, had Vegeta lost this battle.
- Another cool little tidbit is that Zhukin's camp is located where the last Legendary Super Saiyan ruled the Saiyan kingdom from. Now it's just a barren rock in the desert, showing how much can change in (close to) 1000 years.
- I consider Zhukin's dialogue section with Vegeta and the others to be one of the strongest sections of dialogue I've ever written.
- Zhukin isn't as physically powerful as Nappa, so I had him resort to tricks to gain the upperhand on Vegeta. Grabbing Vegeta's tail was the most logical thing for him to do; Zhukin is quite intelligent and aware of his surroundings, as shown throughout his conversations with the others. It only makes sense that he would have the same awareness in battle.
- After Vegeta escapes from Zhukin, the battle is essentially over. Vegeta is stronger than Zhukin to the point where he can rather easily outduel him. So that is why the battle is so short. Also, I didn't want to just repeat what happened in the Nappa vs. Vegeta battle either.
- We wrapped up this chapter rather quickly. I didn't want too much to happen after Zhukin is killed. Obviously, the political ramnifications of Zhukin's death are still to be sorted out, but those can happen in the next chapter or off-screen. I used the other named Saiyans to prompt Vegeta into explaining how he would get Zhukin's people to join him, despite them losing their leader. Actually showing that would take a lot of words and (in my opinion) wasn't that interesting to show so I planned on having characters talk about it so that the readers would know what was going on, but not really showing Vegeta acquiring the soldiers.
- For a long time after writing this chapter, I considered it to be the best in the entire story. I'm not sure if it still is (I'll make my final decision on that once I've done commentary on all eleven of them), but even if it's not, it's still a great chapter and one that I am very proud of.
4. Fear no Darkness
<SEVERAL BROKEN, BLOODY CORPSES ARE SEEN LYING ON THE GROUND IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE BATTLE IN THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER; OCRA, ALONE, WALKS PAST THE BODIES OF BOTH ALLIES AND FORMER ENEMIES; SUDDENLY, THE SAME FEMALE SAIYAN WHO EXCHANGED WORDS WITH OCRA IN THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER BURSTS OUT FROM BEHIND THE REMAINS OF A TENT WITH A FORWARD FLIP, ONE LEG EXTENDED; OCRA NOTICES HER ATTACKER TOO LATE AND IS STRUCK IN THE BACK BY THE HEEL OF HER ENEMY; THE ATTACK FLINGS OCRA ACROSS THE GROUND SEVERAL METERS, BUT HER ATTACKER IMMEDIATELY PURSUES HER; OCRA IS ABLE TO STOP HER MOMENTUM BY SLAMMING HER PALMS INTO THE GROUND, AND THEN SHE JUMPS OUT OF THE WAY>
Ocra: <EYES NARROWED> Oh, it’s you.
<DETERMINED TO TAKE DOWN HER FOE, OCRA CHARGES AT THE OTHER FEMALE SAIYAN; IN AN ATTEMPT TO CATCH HER OPPONENT OFF-GUARD, OCRA GOES LOW AND SLIDES ACROSS THE GROUND WITH HER LEG EXTENDED; THE OPPOSING SAIYAN IS ABLE TO JUMP OVER THE ATTACK, BUT OCRA IMMEDIATELY GETS OFF THE GROUND WITH A SPINNING BACKFIST; UNABLE TO DODGE, THE OTHER SAIYAN BLOCKS OCRA’S ATTACK, BUT OCRA IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWS UP WITH A DOUBLE-PALM STRIKE, PREVENTING HER OPPONENT FROM COUNTERATTACKING AND FORCING HER TO REMAIN ON THE DEFENSIVE; BELIEVING THAT HER OPPONENT WILL CONTINUE TO BLOCK, OCRA GOES FOR A GRAPPLE; HOWEVER, THE ENEMY SAIYAN LEAVES AN AFTERIMAGE AND REAPPEARS BEHIND OCRA BEFORE HITTING HER WITH A PALM STRIKE; THE UNEXPECTED ATTACK LEAVES OCRA STUNNED LONG ENOUGH FOR HER OPPONENT TO GRAB HER HAIR>
Saiyan: You’re finished!
<THE ENEMY SAIYAN, WITH HER FREE HAND, CREATES A SMALL KI BLAST; JUST AS SHE FIRES THE KI BLAST, OCRA SHIFTS HER HEAD JUST ENOUGH TO AVOID THE ATTACK, WHICH INSTEAD, CUTS OFF HER HAIR; NOW FREED, OCRA RESPONDS WITH A LOTUS KICK THAT KNOCKS HER OPPONENT AWAY; SHE THEN CHARGES A GREEN-AND-PINK ENERGY SPHERE IN HER PALMS BEFORE THROWING THE ATTACK AT HER FLYING ENEMY; THE OTHER SAIYAN FLIES OUT OF THE WAY AND RIGHT BACK AT OCRA WITH ANOTHER FRONT-FLIP KICK; OCRA ROLLS AWAY, DODGING THE KICK, BUT HER ENEMY IMMEDIATELY FIRES A SWEEPING FINGER BEAM, WHICH STRIKES OCRA AND BOUNCES HER AGAINST A NEARBY CLIFF>
<WHEN OCRA LANDS ON THE GROUND, SHE ATTEMPTS TO ROLL AWAY ONCE MORE, BUT HER ENEMY CHASES HER DOWN WITH A FLYING SIDE KICK; JUST AS OCRA IS HIT, THE ENEMY SAIYAN FOLLOWS UP WITH A SWEEPING ROUNDHOUSE KICK THAT POPS OCRA SLIGHTLY INTO THE AIR, AND THEN HITS HER WITH AN UPWARDS SPIRALING FINGER BEAM, SENDING HER FLYING VERTICALLY; OCRA’S OPPONENT THEN FLIES UP TO HER AND RELEASES AN ENERGY WHIP THAT WRAPS AROUND OCRA; THE ENEMY SAIYAN PULLS OCRA OVERHEAD AND FLINGS HER AWAY, BUT DOES NOT STOP FOLLOWING; SHE HITS OCRA AGAIN, BUT WITH ANOTHER SWEEPING FINGER BEAM FOLLOWED BY TWO QUICK KICKS>
<OCRA LANDS ON HER BACK IN THE DISTANCE, TOO BEAT UP TO MOVE; HER OPPONENT LANDS NEXT TO HER; WITHOUT MERCY, THE OTHER SAIYAN FIRES A GREEN ENERGY BLAST AT OCRA; THE ENERGY BLAST DETONATES, AND THEN ITS REMAINS CONTINUE TO BURN OCRA’S HELPLESS BODY; AS OCRA SCREAMS IN PAIN, HER OPPONENT CHARGES UP ANOTHER ENERGY BLAST IN HER MOUTH, READY TO FINISH HER OFF>
<SUDDENLY, OUT OF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN, A WHITE AURA COMES SHOOTING INTO VIEW>
Layeeck: Hey!! Stop!! <HE FLIES TOWARDS THE FEMALE SAIYAN, WHO TURNS AND SHOOTS HER MOUTH BEAM AT HIM INSTEAD; LAYEECK DODGES THE ATTACK AND TACKLES HER BEFORE SHE GETS ANOTHER SHOT OFF; HE WRAPS HIS ARMS AROUND HER SHOULDERS AND DROPS TO HIS KNEES, HOLDING ONTO HER> What are you doing? Huh?! Answer me!
Saiyan: <STRUGGLING AGAINST LAYEECK> This is for King Zhukin!
Layeeck: <HOLDING HER STEADY; TEETH BARED> Zhukin is dead! It’s over, all right?! You can’t bring him back!
Saiyan: N-no! Get off of me!
<THE FEMALE SAIYAN CREATES AN ENERGY WAVE AND BREAKS FREE OF LAYEECK’S GRASP; SHE FLIES BACK A FEW FEET AND THEN FALLS INTO A FIGHTING STANCE; LAYEECK IS NOT HURT BY THE ATTACK; HE CAUTIOUSLY LOWERS INTO A FIGHTING STANCE>
Layeeck: That almost hurt. I’m impressed. <HE SMILES> So who are you, girl?
Saiyan: <EYES NARROWED> Come and find out.
<LAYEECK SHAKES HIS HEAD AND THEN CHARGES HER; SHE JUMPS OUT OF THE WAY AND SPIN-KICKS HIM ACROSS THE CHEEK; AS LAYEECK STUMBLES TO THE SIDE, THE FEMALE SAIYAN LANDS AND STICKS HER ARMS OUT; SHE SHOOTS THREE GREEN ENERGY BEAMS FROM ALTERNATING HANDS; EACH ONES HITS LAYEECK, WITH THE LAST ONE KNOCKING HIM TO THE GROUND; HE IS BRUISED, BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE IN PAIN>
Layeeck: <FEELING HIS SORE SHOULDER> Heh… you’ve got some fight in you.
Saiyan: <READYING ANOTHER BLAST> No mercy!
<LAYEECK JUMPS UP AND SHOOTS TOWARDS THE FEMALE SAIYAN WITH A FLYING PUNCH; SHE WILD SENSES OUT OF THE WAY, FLYING UP INTO THE AIR, AND THEN HURLS A PURPLE ENERGY BALL AT LAYEECK; LAYEECK CASUALLY BATS THIS ASIDE>
<HE SHOOTS UP TO THE FEMALE SAIYAN AND TELEPORT KICKS HER DOWNWARD; SHE LANDS HARD IN A SMALL CRATER; AS SHE SITS UP, LAYEECK LANDS IN FRONT OF HER, HIS PALM OUTSTRETCHED, BLUE ENERGY RAPIDLY FORMING IN FRONT OF IT; THE FEMALE SAIYAN IS ON HER KNEES, STARING UP AT LAYEECK>
Saiyan: This isn’t over… you haven’t won!
Layeeck: Fool! You’re fighting for a hopeless cause! Vegeta is our king now. You can’t change that.
Saiyan: <SNEERING> Watch me.
<SHE STRUGGLES TO STAND UP AND ATTACK AGAIN, BUT LAYEECK SHOOTS HER WITH THE BLUE ENERGY BLAST FORMING IN FRONT OF HIS HAND, CAUSING HER TO FALL BACK ONTO HER KNEES; AS SOON AS HE FIRES THE ATTACK, LAYEECK INSTANTLY FORMS ANOTHER BLAST>
Layeeck: Vegeta doesn’t want to have to kill any more Saiyans. But if you keep this up, I’m sure he’ll make an exception. Do I need to take you to him? He won’t be as nice as me, I promise you that.
Saiyan: <BOWING HER HEAD> No…
Layeeck: Good. <HE EXTINGUISHES THE FORMING KI BLAST AND LOWERS HIS HAND> We’re all in this together, you know? We can’t be fighting each other. The Tuffles are our greatest threat. We have to stand together and fight them as one or else they will kill us all. Do you understand? <SHE NODS> Good. Now tell me your name, girl.
Saiyan: <BITES HER LIP AND LETS OUT A SHORT BREATH> I’m Cyleria.
<CUTS TO AMANITO>
<THE ENTIRE AREA IS DESTROYED, CRATERS AND SCORCH MARKS DOMINATING THE LANDSCAPE; SMOKE IS RISING INTO THE AIR FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES, THOUGH A FEW ACTIVE FIRES ARE STILL BURNING; AMANITO’S ARMY OF HEAVILY-ARMORED TUFFLES IS MARCHING THROUGH THE LAND LIKE BUGS, DESTROYING SAIYAN SETTLEMENTS AND KILLING SAIYANS WITHOUT MERCY; AHEAD OF THIS ARMY IS AMANITO HIMSELF, WATCHING THE CARNAGE FROM A RAISED HILL; THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER TUFFLES WITH AMANITO, BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE SOLDIERS ARE FAR BEHIND HIM, BURNING DOWN A SAIYAN SETTLEMENT; THE TUFFLES WITH AMANITO ARE WEARING SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ARMOR VARIANTS THAN THE REGULAR FOOT SOLDIERS, IMPLYING THEY ARE OF GREATER RANK>
<AROUND A DOZEN SAIYANS GO RUNNING BY AMANITO’S ELITE GROUP, FLEEING THE ASSAULT; THEY ARE ONLY WOMEN AND CHILDREN; AMANITO AND THE OTHERS RAISE THEIR BLASTER RIFLES AND FIRE ON THE SAIYANS, RUTHLESSLY KILLING THEM; THEY ALL LAUGH AND START BURNING THE CORPSES WITH THEIR WEAPONS; TWO COMMANDERS, VIROS AND SOLITARN, ARE BRUTALIZING THE CORPSES MORE THAN THE OTHERS>
Viros: Who said the Saiyans were a threat? <HE STARTS TO URINATE ON THE CORPSES> Hahaha! Nothing but a bunch of garbage!
Solitarn: <FIRE IN HIS EYES; HE DECAPITATES A DEAD SAIYAN WITH HIS ENERGY BLASTER> That is more than these animals deserve.
<SUDDENLY A TUFFLE SCOUT MATERIALIZES ON AMANITO’S LEFT GAUNTLET PORT AS A HOLOGRAM; THIS TUFFLE’S NAME IS NIVALUS>
Nivalus: General Amanito! News from the Saiyan rebels’ camp!
Amanito: <RAISES HIS ARM SO THAT THE HOLOGRAM IS AT EYE LEVEL> What is it?
Nivalus: Vegeta has killed Zhukin! He has unified the Saiyans and is now preparing to press forward with a huge army! They have converged not ten miles north of your position!
Amanito: <CLICKS OFF THE HOLOGRAM AND TURNS BACK TO HIS COMMANDERS> Damn it all! Zhukin was our greatest hope to tame these mongrel beasts!
Vitandi: <ANOTHER OFFICER STANDING NEXT TO AMANITO; HE DID NOT BRUTALIZE THE SAIYAN CORPSES LIKE THE OTHERS> General, it’s better that we kill the Saiyans. If we allied with them, they would have surely betrayed us.
Amanito: Perhaps. But now we are in for a war. A long and terrible one, I fear. <HE SHAKES HIS HEAD> Very well. We aren’t far away from their army. We’ll march tonight and take the Saiyans unawares in the darkness. If we strike effectively, maybe we can kill Vegeta before he knows what has happened.
Exitalia: <ANOTHER OFFICER STANDING NEXT TO AMANITO; SHE DID NOT BRUTALIZE THE SAIYAN CORPSES LIKE THE OTHERS> Kill the head and the body will fall.
Solitarn: <NODS> We outnumber them and have better weaponry and armor. It won’t be an even fight. We’ll crush this petty king before he gets a chance to catch his breath.
<THE CAMERA PANS BACK, SHOWING THE SUN STARTING TO SET IN THE DISTANCE; THE TRUE SCOPE OF THE CARNAGE CAN BE SEEN NOW; AMANITO’S ARMY HAS RAVAGED A HUGE SAIYAN SETTLEMENT, KILLING HUNDREDS, IF NOT THOUSANDS, OF SAIYAN WOMEN AND CHILDREN>
Amanito: Surely, they know we are destroying their settlements while their armies are away. They will be angry. These Saiyans won’t go down easily.
Viros: All the better! It’s time they are met with the full might of the Tuffles!
Amanito: <MUSTERING UP A SMILE> Oh, they will be acquainted with us soon enough. All of us. <THE CAMERA MOVES TO THE ARMY, WHICH TAKES UP THE ENTIRE SCREEN IT IS SO BIG; AMONGST THE REGULAR SOLDIERS ARE TALL MECHS, SOME ALMOST TWENTY FEET TALL> Come, Commanders. Let’s move out!
<CUTS TO VEGETA AND HIS WAR COUNCIL>
<NUMEROUS SAIYANS ARE STANDING AROUND A WOODEN TABLE WHERE A BEATEN MAP IS LYING; GUARDS AND TORCHES LINE THE WALLS OF THE TENT>
Lascon: <POINTS TO A PLACE ON THE MAP> Here is their Capital, my King. If we strike quickly, we can surprise them. They won’t have enough time to raise defenses.
Dogom: Impossible. They would see our army coming far beforehand.
Lascon: We could move under cover of night.
Zorn: No, the Tuffles have technology on their side. They can see in the dark. They’ll know we’re coming no matter what.
Vegeta: <ARMS FOLDED> First, we must defeat their armies in the field of battle. Once their defenses are crushed, then we will consider besieging their cities. But as long as they have armies marching through our lands burning and killing and ransacking at will, we cannot hope to best them.
Layeeck: Their armies outnumber us. And with their technological superiority, we can’t hope to meet them in open battle and win.
Paragus: We need to move now, Vegeta! I’m tired of breathing the same air as those Tuffle dogs! The fools can’t hope to match the power of the Saiyans!
<SOME OF THE OTHERS, INCLUDING NAPPA, RAISE THEIR FISTS TO THE AIR AND GRUNT>
Vegeta: Enough! Leave, all of you! I need time to think.
<ALL WALK OUT WITHOUT QUESTION, INCLUDING THE GUARDS; VEGETA STAYS THERE FOR A FEW MOMENTS, PACING IN FRONT OF THE MAP, HIS ARMS FOLDED AND A FROWN ON HIS FACE; THEN, VEGETA TURNS AND WALKS OUT FROM THE TENT, WHICH IS SITUATED AT THE TOP OF A CLIFF AREA; IT IS NIGHT; HE LOOKS DOWN AT THE THOUSANDS OF SAIYANS MAKING CAMP BELOW HIM>
<VEGETA WALKS ON UNTIL HE COMES TO A CLEARING, AWAY FROM THE TENTS; FINALLY ALONE, HE LOOKS UP AT THE STARS, HIS EYES WIDE AND INTENT>
Vegeta: <IN HIS MIND> Father, if you are listening, I need your help. I don’t know what to do. The Tuffles outnumber us a thousand to one. They have better technology, fortress cities… by all rights, they should be able to exterminate us with ease. But many in my war council want me to march on their armies. It’s suicide, I think. I’m scared, father, but I can’t show it to them. I’m their leader, their king. I have to be strong. But it’s so hard… Father what would you do if you were in my situation? How would you defeat the Tuffles? Give me a sign, an answer… something, anything. Please!
<FROM BEHIND, A VOICE INTERRUPTS VEGETA’S THOUGHTS>
Saiyan woman: Watching the stars, eh? Can’t say I blame you. It’s beautiful tonight.
Vegeta: <SPINNING AROUND> Who’s there?
Saiyan woman: <STEPS FORWARD, SMILING; SHE HAS ONLY THREE TEETH; SHE IS QUITE OLD; SHE IS CARRYING A TORCH, REVEALING HERSELF AND HER TENT BEHIND HER> Just an old woman, son. No one to be afraid of. I figure we’re both out here for the same reason.
Vegeta: <TOO TENSE> And what’s that?
Saiyan woman: To get away from all that noise. <SHE GESTURES TO THE CAMP IN THE DISTANCE> Ever since that Vegeta declared himself king, the whole place has been too noisy for my old body. So I came out here. It’s much more peaceful, and I can watch the stars every night before I go to bed. <SHE MOTIONS TO THE SKY, AND VEGETA LOOKS BACK UP AT IT; MILLIONS OF STARS ARE SHINING DOWN ON THEM> You must be trying the same thing, eh?
Vegeta: <SLACKS HIS JAW> I suppose. When I was little, my mother told me that when we die, all of us become a star. All of my ancestors are up there, she said. I don’t know if I can believe that, but–
Saiyan woman: But you still came out here to speak to them, eh? <SHE SMILES BROADLY> She’s right, you know. Everyone has their star. Even you, aheheh! <SHE RAISES AN OLD CROOKED FINGER TO THE BRIGHT SKY> Look, son. Many stars are burning bright, but there’s one that’s shining more than all the rest. <VEGETA LOOKS UP AT IT> It’s almost like a moon!
Vegeta: A moon?
Saiyan woman: Ah, yes. The night’s sun.
Vegeta: What are you talking about?
Saiyan woman: Have you never heard of the moon, son?
Vegeta: <FOLDS ARMS> I haven’t.
Saiyan woman: Ah, poor child. It has been many years since the moon was last seen. I’ll give you that. But you should know your history, anyway. The moon is a great sign in our culture. A great and beautiful star it was, and when it glimmered bright, it is said that our people became invincible warriors for a night.
Vegeta: And what happened to it?
Saiyan woman: <TOOTHY SMILE> No one knows! It disappeared! All we have left are the stars.
Vegeta: Maybe one day, it will return, and our people will rise again.
<VEGETA LOOKS UP AT THE STARS AGAIN, HIS EYES GLIMMERING LIKE THEM>
<THE CAMERA CUTS TO VEGETA RETURNING TO CAMP>
<AS VEGETA IS WALKING BACK TO HIS TENT, HE NOTICES LAYEECK SITTING OUTSIDE HIS OWN TENT, HIS HEAD IN HIS HANDS; VEGETA WALKS UP TO HIS FRIEND>
Vegeta: <FROWNING> Layeeck… what’s going on? Is something troubling you?
Layeeck: <NOT LOOKING UP> Oh, it’s just… well, I fought a Zhukin loyalist earlier today.
Vegeta: Did you kill him?
Layeeck: Her. And no. She was trying to kill Ocra to get revenge for Zhukin’s death, but I stopped her.
Vegeta: And why is she still alive?
Layeeck: <PROCESSES THE QUESTION FOR A FEW MOMENTS, THEN LOOKS UP> I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I don’t know why. There was just something about her that I–
<SUDDENLY, A HUGE EXPLOSION GOES OFF, CAUSING BOTH SAIYANS TO JUMP; THEY IMMEDIATELY RUN AROUND THE TENT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED; BELOW THEM IN THE CAMP, THE TWO SAIYANS CAN SEE FIERY EXPLOSIONS ERUPTING IN THE DARKNESS, PEOPLE SCREAMING IN SURPRISE AND PAIN, AND OTHERS BARKING ORDERS>
Vegeta: <EYES WIDE> They are upon us… in the dead of night! Those Tuffle cowards! <TO LAYEECK> Layeeck, marshal the troops! Form a vanguard. I want the best of the best to charge with me into battle. Go! Hurry!
<LAYEECK RUSHES OFF AS VEGETA SKIDS DOWN THE CLIFF INTO THE ENCAMPMENT; TENTS ARE BURNING AND SAIYANS ARE EXCHANGING ENERGY ATTACKS WITH UNSEEN FOES FARTHER OFF; VEGETA WEAVES HIS WAY THROUGH THIS UNTIL HE COMES TO A BIT OF WRECKAGE, WHICH HE HIDES BEHIND; POKING HIS HEAD OVER IT, HE SEES ROWS OF ARMORED BEINGS STANDING IN RIGID FORMATION; IN FRONT OF THEM IS A SINGLE ARMORED INDIVIDUAL; VEGETA STANDS UP TO FACE THIS BEING>
Vegeta: Who goes there?!
Tuffle: <FERVENTLY> Soldiers, halt fire! <TO VEGETA> You are in no position to ask questions, Saiyan.
Vegeta: I am the King of the Saiyans, you Tuffle dog! You have made a grave mistake coming at me like this.
Tuffle: Oh, King Vegeta? Good. Excellent! Your death will be my pleasure. Imagine the newspaper headlines… the king of the mongrels killed by the illustrious and charismatic General Amanito! Oh, they’ll have a field day, I’m sure! Most excellent. <HE RAISES A BLASTER AND POINTS IT AT VEGETA> It’s time you die, Vegeta, so we can end this little game. This war will go no further.
Vegeta: <PUFFS OUT HIS CHEST> On the contrary… <HE TURNS AROUND AND SEES LAYEECK HAS GATHERED UP NUMEROUS SOLDIERS, INCLUDING NAPPA, DOGOM, PARAGUS, AND ARTACHOC; THEY ARE IN A LINE BEHIND HIM; LAYEECK NODS TO VEGETA AS SOON AS THEIR EYES MEET> this war has only just begun.
<VEGETA LETS OUT A YELL AND CHARGES FORWARD, HOT WHITE ENERGY ALREADY FORMING IN EACH HAND; THE SAIYANS BEHIND HIM FOLLOW SUIT AT ONCE; THE TUFFLES REMAIN STILL AND RAISE THEIR BLASTERS IN UNISON; GENERAL AMANITO RAISES HIS HAND AND GIVES THEM THE SIGNAL TO FIRE WHEN THE SAIYANS GET WITHIN RANGE; ENERGY STARTS TO FLY THROUGH THE AIR, THE SAIYANS DODGING AND SHOOTING BACK AT THE TUFFLES, WHO ARE UNMOVED; MANY OF THE TUFFLES ABSORB BLASTS AND FALL DEAD WHILE OTHERS HAVE WEAKER BLASTS BOUNCE OFF OF THEIR STURDY ARMOR>
<JUST BEFORE VEGETA REACHES THE TUFFLES, HE KICKS OFF FROM THE GROUND AND LEADS INTO THE SOLDIERS WITH A FLYING KICK; THE FORCE OF THIS KICK SENDS HALF A DOZEN TUFFLES FLYING BACKWARDS, THEIR ARMOR CRACKED, THEIR BODIES LIMP; VEGETA LANDS AND SPINS ABOUT, SHOOT ENERGY BLASTS IN ALL DIRECTIONS; THE TUFFLES BREAK OFF FROM THEIR RANKS TO TRY TO TRAP HIM, BUT HE PUSHES THROUGH THEM, PUNCHING AND KICKING THEM TO THE GROUND AND VAPORIZING ANY WHO SHOOT THEIR BLASTERS AT HIM WITH HIS OWN KI RESERVES; SOON, THE SAIYAN VANGUARD REACHES THE TUFFLES AND THEY OVERWHELM THE FIRST LINE OF SOLDIERS>
<THE CAMERA PANS THROUGH THE BATTLING AS MORE SAIYANS JOIN THE VANGUARD AND BOLSTER THEIR FORCES; LAYEECK FIGHTS TWO TUFFLES IN HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT, GRABBING ONE BY THE NECK AND DECAPITATING HIM BY CREATING AND SHOOTING A GREEN ENERGY BALL WITH THAT VERY SAME HAND; HE SIDE-KICKS THE OTHER TUFFLE TO THE GROUND AND THEN ELBOWS HIM IN THE NECK>
<DOGOM LAUNCHES HIMSELF AT A GROUP OF TUFFLES, PUSHING THEM BACK WITH ARCING BLASTS AND A REFINED SERIES OF PUNCHES AND KICKS; PARAGUS DROPS TO HIS KNEES, SHOOTING LONG BEAMS FROM EACH HAND; WHEN SOME TUFFLES CHARGE HIM, HE PUTS UP HIS ARMS AS IF IN A BLOCKING POSITION AND THEN RELEASES AN EXPLOSIVE WAVE, INCINERATING ALL WHO GET TOO CLOSE>
<NAPPA RUNS FORWARD AND BASICALLY TRAMPLES AN ENTIRE GROUP OF TUFFLES; WITH EVERY PUNCH HE THROWS, HE RELEASES A KI EXPLOSION; DOZENS OF TUFFLES ARE KILLED WITH EACH OF THESE IMPACTS, THEIR BODY PARTS FLYING IN ALL DIRECTIONS; THE TUFFLE SURVIVORS BEGIN TO RETREAT>
<AMANITO IS IN THE MIDST OF THIS HYSTERIA; HIS HELMET IS GONE, HIS FACE BRUISED AND DIRTY; HE RETREATS WITH THE REST OF THE TUFFLES, SHOOTING HIS WAY PAST LESSER SAIYANS UNTIL HE COMES UPON THE SAIYAN KING; THERE, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TUFFLE ARMY IS VEGETA, STANDING ALONE ON A PILE OF BODIES; HIS FACE, CHEST, AND ARMS ARE ALL COVERED IN BRUISES AND CUTS; STILL, HE HAS HIS AURA AROUND HIM AND IS TAKING ON SO MANY TUFFLES AT ONCE, THAT SOME OF THE SOLDIERS IN THE BACK ARE JUST STANDING THERE IN AWE, NOT EVEN SHOOTING; A TUFFLE RUNS PAST AMANITO, KNOCKING HIM TO THE GROUND; THE GENERAL’S EYES ARE WIDE WITH HORROR AS HE WATCHES VEGETA FIGHT>
Vegeta: <PUNCHING A TUFFLE TO DEATH> To me! To me, my brothers! Rally to me!
<HE SHOOTS A SALVO OF KI BLASTS AT A GROUP OF TUFFLES SNEAKING UP BEHIND HIM AND THEN ROLLS ASIDE TO DODGE A DIFFERENT GROUP OF TUFFLES’ SHOTS COMING AT HIM; MORE AND MORE TUFFLES ARE DYING WHEN AMANITO TURNS AROUND AND SEES NAPPA AND THE OTHERS RUSHING TOWARDS HIM; AMANITO’S LIP IS TREMBLING AS HE TRIES TO GET UP AND FLEE>
Amanito: <TO HIMSELF> These Saiyans are unstoppable! They’re not warriors; they’re monsters! <HE LOOKS BACK TO VEGETA, WHO IS STILL CUTTING HIS WAY THROUGH THE TUFFLE ARMY> What have I done by waking this sleeping beast? What have I done?!
<ABRUPT TO BLACK>
- Hyper Zergling originally named this chapter "Outskirts". I thought that name was rather lame. When we got around to writing this chapter, I renamed it "Fear No Darkness" as a reference to this scene from The Lord of the Rings. Vegeta's dialogue and charge on the Tuffles at the end of the chapter was inspired by that scene, which is why I referenced it. I also reference that LOTR scene during Chapter 10 of this story, but more on that later...
- Hyper Zergling wrote the confrontation between Ocra and Cyleria. I wrote the part where Layeeck joined the fight. I think that scene is a good example of how Hyper Zergling's writing style (especially for fight scenes) differs from my own.
- I was very careful with the Layeeck and Cyleria scenes. By the end of the story, they had to get together to become Ledas' parents. I didn't want to do anything too over-the-top or cliched with their relationship, since they are Saiyans. I didn't want them to fall in love too quickly (one could even argue they never fell in love at all). The main conflict then was that Cyleria was a Zhukin loyalist who hated Vegeta and anyone associated with him. This conflict allowed me to develop their relationship slowly and (in my opinion) more realistically.
- A lot of the dialogue and attacks in the Layeeck vs Cyleria scene came from the characters' Raging Blast DLC entries.
- We came up with the idea of having lesser Tuffles a short while before writing this chapter. Hyper Zergling came up with a few of the names, and I modified some of them and added some of my own. I mainly added these Tuffles so that other Tuffles of consequence could be killed by some of the named Saiyans (since Amanito was going to be left to Vegeta).
- Amanito and his group kill a crowd of Saiyan women and children to make them appear more villainous. I wanted to make the Tuffles appear more evil at first and then become more sympathetic characters as the story progresses.
- I considered Nivalus Amanito's son even while writing this chapter. They have a very professional relationship, so them being father and son is not so obvious here.
- I used each Tuffle's dialogue to flesh out their character a little. Each one has a different opinion of the Saiyans.
- Amanito's use of the word "unawares" is a reference to the series, A Song of Ice and Fire.
- We came up with the idea of the mechs before writing a word of this story. Basically, we thought it would add an interesting twist to the battle scenes and would also allow the Tuffles a way to fight the stronger Saiyans.
- The first war council scene showcases each of the named Saiyans' different perspectives about the war. It was important for me to show that not everyone agreed with one another (or even with their king) as they strategized against the Tuffles.
- Vegeta has to act kingly around the other Saiyans, which is why I used inner thoughts to show him in his most vulnerable state. He's scared as hell to fight the Tuffles, but he knows he must. I had him talk to his father to show the Saiyans (in my universe) do a bit of ancestor worship or the like.
- I hadn't planned on adding the old Saiyan woman to the story until everything before it in this chapter was already written. I had a conversation with Hyper Zergling about foreshadowing the Saiyans' transformation. It was a huge issue with us, since the Great Ape transformation that ends this war could easily be deus ex machina if not handled well. The main way to combat that is to foreshadow the moon(s). So that's where the old Saiyan woman came from. It took me a long time to write the scene where Vegeta talks with her. I find it rather difficult to write for old people.
- I thought it would be interesting if the old Saiyan woman didn't know Vegeta was Vegeta - she just thought he was a regular Saiyan man. This is great because it puts Vegeta in a very humble and unique situation.
- The family members being in the stars is a slight reference to Cowboy Bebop. It also reinforces the ancestor worship hinted at before.
- The old Saiyan woman teaching Vegeta about the moon is as important to him as it should be to the readers.
- I had Amanito interrupt Layeeck's and Vegeta's conversation at that particular moment because I didn't know where to go with the conversation after that. Obviously, Layeeck was talking about Cyleria. Him asking Vegeta about her shows how close the two are and subtly hints at what happened after the end of the first scene of this chapter, but I wasn't prepared to delve into it much more than that in this chapter.
- Allowing Vegeta and Amanito to get acquainted with one another in this story sets the tone for the rest of their conflicts. They don't really talk again until Vegeta is captured, so it was paramount to the success of The Great War that their conversation here made them rivals. Amanito is very pompous and arrogant and self-indulgent, and Vegeta is rough and no-nonsense. This contrast was necessary for their rivalry to develop.
- Making sure to show what all the Saiyans are doing in the fight is something we started in this chapter and continued through the rest of the story.
- Vegeta saying "Rally to me!" is a reference to Theoden from The Lord of the Rings.
- The irony of Amanito's last lines of dialogue is that the Saiyans are not monsters yet, but they can become monsters - as Great Apes. This line foreshadows the end of the war without Amanito realizing it.
- Amanito is so arrogant until he sees the Saiyans in action. It must mean that he didn't know the true fighting potential of the Saiyans, or at least their greatest warriors, since Vegeta and the others in the vanguard would be the best warriors on the planet. I explored Amanito's range of emotions in this chapter and in the next ones to flesh out his character. He obviously doesn't give up the war - if anything, he becomes more stubborn - but his reaction at the end of this chapter is a very real moment. I don't think he ever forgets it, but he realizes that he cannot give up and puts on a show for the rest of his soldiers for the remainder of the war, much like Vegeta does. Vegeta is actually quite scared about fighting the Tuffles, but he never shows except in his inner monologue. So Amanito and Vegeta aren't that different after all. They both put on fake personas as they wage their wars against one another.
5. Battle for Shintake Square
<THE CAMERA PANS OVER THE HILLS AND SPARSE FORESTS THAT THE LARGE ARMY OF TUFFLES IS RETREATING THROUGH; THERE ARE SEVERAL MILLION TUFFLES IN THIS ARMY; A FEW SKIRMISHES BETWEEN SAIYANS AND TUFFLES ARE STILL GOING ON AT THE BACK OF THE RETREATING SWARM>
<THE CAMERA NOSEDIVES DOWN INTO THE CROWDS OF TUFFLES RUNNING BY; MANY ARE BLEEDING OR INJURED; THEY ARE ALL MOVING WITH GREAT HASTE; THE CAMERA MOVES PAST THEM TO THE REAR GUARD, WHERE THE SAIYANS ARE OVERTAKING THEM; VEGETA IS LEADING HIS PEOPLE; WITH ENERGY BLASTS AND DEADLY PHYSICAL BLOWS, HE IS KILLING ANY TUFFLES HE CAN FIND>
<WITH VEGETA IS HIS WAR COUNCIL – DOGOM, AUBERE, ARTACHOC, OCRA, PARAGUS, ZORN, LASCON, LAYEECK, AND NAPPA; THEY HELP HIM FINISH OFF A GROUP OF RETREATING TUFFLES AS THEY COME TO THE HIGH POINT OF A LARGE HILL; LOOKING DOWN AT WHAT IS BELOW THEM, THE SAIYANS SIGH; VEGETA’S OWN ARMY IS COMING UP RIGHT BEHIND>
<THE CAMERA SPINS AROUND, SHOWING WHAT THE SAIYAN ELITES HAD BEEN STARING AT; IT IS A SMALL TUFFLE TOWN; THOUGH IT IS NOT AN ARMORED FORTRESS-CITY, IT IS LARGE ENOUGH TO OFFER THE TUFFLES COVER FROM THE SAIYAN HORDES; THE TUFFLES CAN BE SEEN RUNNING INTO THE TOWN AND TAKING COVER>
Dogom: Not a city. Only a town.
Lascon: Shintake Square, if I remember correctly. A border town with a small population. The Tuffles must be tired. It’s the only reason they would stop here. Shintake Square holds no strategic advantage for them.
Vegeta: They’re setting up defenses. <THE CAMERA SHOWS THE TUFFLES PUTTING UP TURRETS AND POSITIONING THEIR MECHS AT THE FRONT OF THE TOWN; THE REST OF THE TUFFLE ARMY IS SPREAD OUT, SOME HIDING BEHIND BUILDINGS, OTHERS TAKING UP POSITIONS ON THE ROOFS; AMANITO AND HIS UNDERLINGS CAN BE SEEN DIRECTING THEIR SOLDIERS INTO POSITIONS> We’ll have to raze the entire town.
Layeeck: So be it. They must die, Vegeta.
Nappa: Yeah, let’s kill some Tuffles! Haha!
Vegeta: <LOOKS AT THEM FOR A FEW MOMENTS, THEN NODS> Leave none alive. Not even the women and children. <EVERYONE NODS; VEGETA STANDS UP STRAIGHT AND CRACKS HIS BACK> Dogom, take your forces and hit them from the left. Paragus, Nappa, move in from the right. Zorn, with me. <HIS EYES NARROW> Kill them here, brothers. Let’s go!
<ALL OF THEM SPLIT OFF INTO GROUPS; DOGOM, AUBERE, ARTACHOC, AND OCRA GO LEFT WITH A CONSIDERABLE HOST OF SAIYAN SOLDIERS; PARAGUS, LAYEECK, AND NAPPA GO TO THE RIGHT WITH AN EQUALLY MASSIVE GROUP OF SOLDIERS; VEGETA, LASCON, AND ZORN TAKE THE MIDDLE; THEIR SUB-GROUP HAS THE MOST SOLDIERS IN IT>
<DOGOM SPLITS HIS GROUP IN TWO, GIVING ARTACHOC COMMAND OF HALF OF HIS LEGION; THEN, DOGOM SPEARHEADS HIS GROUP WITH AUBERE FOLLOWING CLOSELY BEHIND HIM; THEY RUSH INTO THE TOWN, EXCHANGING ENERGY ATTACKS WITH THE TUFFLES; BUILDINGS BURST ASUNDER, METAL AND BRICK AND DUST FLYING IN EVERY DIRECTION; SOON, THE ENTIRE AREA IS A CHAOS ZONE; FROM EVERY DIRECTION SHOUTS, SCREAMS, AND EXPLOSIONS COME ROARING IN; IN THE SWIRLING DUST, DOGOM’S GROUP REACHES THE CITY AND IS MET BY TUFFLES; DOGOM AND AUBERE ENGAGE THE TUFFLE VANGUARD IN HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT AT ONCE; AT FIRST, THE SAIYANS MAKE SHORT WORK OF TUFFLES, INCINERATING INFANTRY GROUPS WITH ENERGY BLASTS AND OR CRUSHING INDIVIDUALS WITH PUNCHES OR KICKS>
<SOON THE SAIYANS FIND THEMSELVES BEING ATTACKED FROM ALL SIDES; SOME OF DOGOM’S IMMEDIATE SUBORDINATES BEGIN TO SPLIT OFF IN ORDER TO COMBAT THE TUFFLES AND SPREAD MORE DESTRUCTION; THEY PUSH FARTHER INTO THE CITY; DOGOM’S GROUP HAS TAKEN MINIMAL CASUALTIES COMPARED TO THE TUFFLES>
<SUDDENLY, A LARGE ENERGY BEAM IS UNLEASHED UPON DOGOM’S FORCES, IMMEDIATELY VAPORIZING AN ENTIRE GROUP OF SAIYANS; THE ATTACK COMES FROM NONE OTHER THAN THE ARM CANNON OF A TUFFLE MECH; DOGOM SHOOTS A FEW STALLING ATTACKS AT THE BEHEMOTH, BUT HIS SMALL ENERGY BLASTS JUST BOUNCE OFF OF ITS ARMOR; DOGOM LOOKS ANNOYED>
Dogom: Fall back!
<THE MECH FIRES MORE SHOTS AT THE SAIYANS; DOGOM CONTINUES TO ORDER THE REST OF HIS FORCES TO FALL BACK, WHILE DODGING MORE ENERGY BEAMS; BEFORE THE MECH TURNS ITS ENTIRE ATTENTION TO DOGOM AND AUBERE, THE TWO OF THEM QUICKLY NOD AT EACH OTHER AND THEN MAKE THEIR MOVE>
<AUBERE FIRES OFF SEVERAL FINGER BEAMS AT THE MECH WHILE DODGING ITS UNCEASING BARRAGE OF ENERGY BOLTS; DOGOM THEN RUSHES TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MECH BEFORE CHARGING IN; HE KICKS THE MECH IN THE BACK, KNOCKING IT TOWARDS AUBERE AND CAUSING ITS ARM-CANNONS TO FIRE OUTWARD IN RANDOM DIRECTIONS; AUBERE THROWS A FOREHAND SWIPE, SENDING THE MECH RIGHT BACK TO DOGOM, WHO HITS IT BACK TO AUBERE ONCE MORE WITH AN AERIAL BACK KICK; JUST AFTER AUBERE HITS THE MACHINE BACK TO DOGOM ONCE MORE WITH A FLYING BACK KICK OF HER OWN, DOGOM BACK-FLIPS WITH HIS RIGHT LEG EXTENDED, CONNECTING WITH WHERE THE ABDOMEN WOULD BE ON A HUMANOID BEING, OBLITERATING THE MECH AND CREATING A BIG EXPLOSION>
<MUCH LIKE DOGOM’S GROUP, PARAGUS’ GROUP CHARGES RIGHT AT THE CITY; HIS PEOPLE YELL WAR CRIES AS THEY RUN FORWARD, HURLING ENERGY BEAMS AND BALLS AT THE TALL BUILDINGS OF SHINTAKE SQUARE; BY THE TIME PARAGUS’ GROUP ARRIVES AT THE PLACE, SEVERAL OUTER BUILDINGS HAVE ALREADY COLLAPSED; THEY START WADING THROUGH THE RUBBLE, EXCHANGING SHOTS WITH TUFFLE INFANTRY AND LUNGING AT ANY WHO GET TOO CLOSE; LAYEECK IS WITH PARAGUS, AND TOGETHER, THEY LEAD THE SAIYAN SOLDIERS INTO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CITY; FARTHER TO THE RIGHT, THEY CAN SEE NAPPA ATTACKING THE TUFFLES AS WELL>
<PARAGUS’ GROUP PUSHES THROUGH THE OUTER DEFENSES OF THE CITY, CRUSHING THE TUFFLES AND THEIR STATIONARY TURRETS RATHER EASILY; THEN, THEY ALL RUN THROUGH THE BLOWN OUT BUILDINGS INTO THE MORE PEACEFUL INNER CITY; HERE, THEY SEE NO TUFFLES; THERE ARE PAVED ROADS, RUNNING FOUNTAINS, AND THE LIKE, BUT NO OPPONENTS; PARAGUS CAUTIOUSLY LEADS HIS GROUP FORWARD WHEN, SUDDENLY, TUFFLES SPRING FORTH FROM THE BUILDINGS ON EITHER SIDE OF THEM; MANY OF THEM ARE SEVERAL STORIES UP OR ARE ON THE ROOFS; THEY START RAINING ENERGY ATTACKS DOWN ON THE SAIYANS; A LARGE DOOR JUST AHEAD OF PARAGUS OPENS UP; INSIDE OF ARE THREE TURRETS; THEY BEGIN FIRING AT ONCE, MOWING DOWN SAIYAN SOLDIERS; PARAGUS AND LAYEECK DUCK OUT OF THE WAY, FINDING COVER BEHIND A COLLAPSED PILLAR>
<EXPLOSIONS ARE GOING OFF EVERYWHERE; THERE IS SO MUCH SMOKE AND DUST THAT PARAGUS AND LAYEECK CANNOT SEE MORE THAN A FEW FEET AHEAD OF THEM; THEY CAN SEE THE ENERGY BOLTS OF THE TURRETS WHIZZING BY THEM, BUT THEY CANNOT SEE THE ACTUAL TURRETS>
Paragus: <BELLOWING OVER THE SOUNDS OF WAR> Cowards tricked us! We’re pinned down!
Layeeck: <FIRE IN HIS EYES; SMILING> You were a chieftain once, weren’t you Paragus? A true Saiyan warrior. Don’t tell me you’ve gone soft! <LAYEECK STANDS UP, NOT FLINCHING FROM THE ENERGY ATTACKS SAILING AROUND HIS BODY> You aren’t afraid to die, are you?!
Paragus: <ANGRILY> Like these Tuffle dogs could even make me bleed! I’ll show them a thing or two!
<HE JUMPS UP AND JOINS LAYEECK; THE TWO RUN FORWARD, ARMS OUT AND BEHIND THEIR TORSOS AS THEY RUN; THEY DODGE ATTACKS AND DEFTLY MOVE UP TO THE TURRETS; THE TWO SAIYANS USE FLYING KICK ATTACKS TO KNOCK THE TUFFLES OFF OF THEIR ENERGY TURRETS AND THEN THROW A BUNCH OF ENERGY BALLS INTO THE HOUSE; LAYEECK AND PARAGUS RETREAT BY ROLLING AWAY; A SECOND LATER, THE ENTIRE BUILDING EXPLODES>
<THE TWO THEN SEE A MECH APPROACHING THEM; THIS ONE IS SEVERAL FEET TALLER THAN THE ONE DOGOM AND AUBERE FOUGHT>
Paragus: <TO THE MECH> Hiding in your armor, are you?! It’s no use! I’ll crack you open like an egg!
<HE AND LAYEECK DASH AT THE MECH THROUGH THE AIR; AS THEY APPROACH IT, IT LUNGES FORWARD AND EFFORTLESSLY BATS THEM OUT OF THE SKY; THE TWO LAND HARD AGAINST THE WALL OF TOWER; BOTH ARE HURT; PARAGUS NOTICES THAT HIS NOSE IS BLEEDING; HE IS SHOCKED>
<HE LOOKS BACK UP AT THE MECH; IT FIRES SEVERAL ENERGY BEAMS AT THE TWO SAIYANS; THEY DODGE OUT OF THE WAY AND RETURN FIRE; THEIR ATTACKS JUST BOUNCE OFF OF THE MECH’S ARMOR, HOWEVER>
Layeeck: No way! That was my strongest attack!
Paragus: <IN DISMAY> This is too much! We must retreat, Layeeck! Rally the soldiers! Quickly! Before we are corpses!
<THE MECH BEGINS TO RUN AT THEM, READYING MORE ENERGY ATTACKS; THE TWO RUN AWAY FROM IT; THE CAMERA PANS BACK A BIT TO SHOW THE OVERALL DESTRUCTION; TUFFLE AND SAIYAN BODIES LINE THE STREET; THE TOWN IS IN RUINS, GREAT FIRES ARE RACING THROUGH THE BUILDINGS; STILL, THE MECH MOVES FORWARD>
<LIKE THE OTHER GROUPS, ARTACHOC AND OCRA LEAD THEIR OWN HOST OF SAIYANS, AND THEY ARE ENGAGED IN HEAVY COMBAT WITH THE TUFFLE DEFENDERS; OCRA IS AHEAD OF THE GROUP, JUMPING FROM INDIVIDUAL TO INDIVIDUAL, KILLING EACH TUFFLE INFANTRYMAN WITH A SINGLE PHYSICAL STRIKE; ARTACHOC IS JUST BEHIND, UNLEASHING SEVERAL ENERGY BOLTS TO COVER OCRA FROM STRAY HITS THAT WOULD OTHERWISE DAMAGE HER>
Artachoc: My turn. <CHARGES FORWARD IN FRONT OF OCRA>
<NOW ARTACHOC BEGINS TO USE MORE MELEE ATTACKS, FIGHTING SIMILAR TO HOW OCRA WAS, ALBEIT SLIGHTLY SLOWER, BUT WITH MORE FORCE AND BRUTALITY; AS ARTACHOC’S GROUP CONTINUES ON, THEY ARE SLOWED BY A LARGER BARRAGE OF TUFFLE WEAPON FIRE; A HEAVY CONCENTRATION OF TUFFLES ARE WITHIN A FORTIFIED BUILDING JUST UP AHEAD; ARTACHOC SEEMS UNPERTURBED>
Artachoc: Ready, Ocra?
<OCRA NODS AND THEN RAISES HER HANDS ABOVE HER HEAD; A PINK-AND-GREEN ENERGY SPHERE FORMS IN HER PALMS AND GRADUALLY INCREASES IN SIZE; ARTACHOC, MEANWHILE, AIMS INTO THE WINDOWS OF THE BUILDING, REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF FIRE FROM THE TUFFLES; WHEN OCRA’S ENERGY SPHERE REACHES THE SIZE OF A SMALL STRUCTURE, SHE THROWS THE KI BALL AT THE BUILDING; SEVERAL TUFFLES STOP FIRING AND LEAVE THEIR POSITIONS IN PANIC, WHILE OTHERS CONTINUE TO FIRE OUT OF DESPERATION; REGARDLESS, THE ENTIRE BUILDING, ALONG WITH SEVERAL SURROUNDING ONES, EXPLODES IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE ENERGY SPHERE COLLIDES WITH IT>
<ARTACHOC’S SOLDIERS COME RUSHING FORWARD TO PURSUE THE RETREATING TUFFLES; ARTACHOC AND OCRA FOLLOW THEM INTO THE BREACH>
<THE CAMERA CUTS TO NAPPA’S LEGION; NAPPA’S GROUP HAS REACHED THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY; THE TUFFLE COMMANDER, VITANDI, IS LEADING THE GROUP OPPOSING NAPPA; THEIR STRUGGLE IS PARTICULARLY BLOODY; HUNDREDS OF BODIES ARE LYING ALL AROUND THE SQUARE, SOME HANGING IN WINDOWS, OTHERS FACEDOWN IN THE TUFFLE FOUNTAINS; BLOOD AND BLAST MARKS AND SMALL CRATERS DECORATE THE PAVED GROUND AROUND THEM; A DISCIPLINED GROUP OF TUFFLES IS HOLDING A LINE AGAINST THE SAIYANS; WHILE NO BUILDINGS ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE CENTER OF THIS TOWN, THERE ARE SOME FAR-OFF TURRETS AND SNIPERS STILL SHOOTING DOWN AT NAPPA’S GROUP>
<NAPPA IS COVERED IN DIRT AND SMALL CUTS; HIS SHIRT IS GONE; HE GROWLS AND RUSHES FORWARD, PUSHING A LARGE GROUP OF TUFFLES BACK; THE LINE OF TUFFLES FALTERS, THEIR FORMATION BREAKS AT ONCE; VITANDI SCREAMS AT THEM TO GET BACK INTO LINE, BUT THEY DO NOT LISTEN; NAPPA GRINS AND RUNS FORWARD; HE JUMPS INTO THE AIR AND THEN COMES BACK DOWN BY PUNCHING THE GROUND; THIS CAUSES A SHOCKWAVE TO SPREAD OUT FROM THAT CRATER THROUGH THE PAVED STREET; A SECOND LATER, A HUGE WHITE LIGHT COVERS THE AREA AND EXPLOSIONS GO OFF; TUFFLES SCREAM, DROP THEIR WEAPONS, AND TRY TO FLEE, BUT THEY ARE ALL DISINTEGRATED BEFORE THEY CAN GET AWAY; THE NEXT LINE OF TUFFLES TRIES TO MOVE FORWARD, VITANDI AT THEIR HEAD, AND KILL NAPPA; NAPPA ORDERS HIS SOLDIERS TO FOLLOW HIM, AND THEY RUSH FORWARD; NAPPA GOES RIGHT FOR VITANDI AND EXCHANGES A FEW BLOWS WITH THE SMALL TUFFLE BEFORE KICKING HIM LIKE A BALL; VITANDI GOES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR LIKE A RAGDOLL>
<THE DUST AND SMOKE OVERTAKES THE SOLDIERS OF EACH SIDE AS THEY CLASH, BUT WITHIN A FEW MOMENTS, IT BECOMES CLEAR AGAIN; HERE, NAPPA IS STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF A GREAT NUMBER OF TUFFLES; HE HAS BEEN SEPARATED FROM HIS SAIYAN UNDERLINGS; THE TUFFLES ALL RAISE THEIR WEAPONS AT NAPPA, WHO IS STANDING ON DEAD TUFFLE AND SAIYAN WARRIORS; FURTHER OUT, NAPPA’S SOLDIERS ARE STILL FIGHTING THE OUTER RANKS OF THIS TUFFLE GROUP>
<THEN, THE LARGE MECH THAT TERRORIZED PARAGUS AND LAYEECK APPEARS; IT COMES SHOOTING FORWARD TO MEET NAPPA; IT IS AROUND TWENTY FEET TALL, SO IT COMPLETELY DWARFS HIM; NAPPA SEEMS NOT TO CARE>
Nappa: <LAUGHING HOARSELY> Heheh! So ya wanna play too! Great! Let me introduce you to my fist! Hahahaha!
<NAPPA LUNGES AT THE HUGE MECH; IT PARRIES HIS FIRST ATTACK AND KICKS HIM BACK; NAPPA LANDS ON THE GROUND ON ALL FOURS AND THEN AIR DASHES RIGHT BACK TO THE MECH; THIS TIME, HE HURLS A FEW ENERGY BLASTS AT IT; WHILE THE BLASTS BOUNCE OFF OF THE MECH, THEY STILL CAUSE IT TO STAGGER BACK; NAPPA FLIES UP TO THE MECH’S HEAD AREA AND RAPIDLY PUNCHES AND KICKS IT; THE MECH THEN THROWS A BACKHAND SLAP TO NAPPA’S BODY; NAPPA TRIES TO DODGE THIS, BUT HE IS NOT FAST ENOUGH; HE IS FLUNG BACK FROM THE ATTACK, LANDING BACK IN THE CENTER OF AREA; THE TUFFLES MOVE BACK SLIGHTLY TO GIVE THE MECH ROOM TO PURSUE>
<NAPPA IS LYING ON HIS STOMACH WHEN THE MECH TRIES TO KILL HIM BY SQUASHING HIM WITH ONE OF ITS FEET; JUST IN TIME, HE ROLLS FORWARD AND OUT OF THE WAY, THEN HE BACKFLIPS OVER THE HUGE MECH; WHEN HE GETS BEHIND IT, NAPPA SHOOTS TWO ENERGY BLASTS AT ITS BACK AND THEN SHOOTS FORWARD WITH A PUNCH; THE MECH FALLS FORWARD BUT QUICKLY SPINS AROUND; NAPPA LOWERS TO THE GROUND AND PREPARES AN ENERGY BARRAGE WHEN THE MECH CHARGES HIM; HE DISSIPATES HIS ATTACKS AND PARRIES THE MECH’S ATTACKS; THE TUFFLES AND SAIYANS AROUND STOP FIGHTING TO WATCH THIS; THEY ARE ALL IN SHOCK THAT NAPPA CAN COMPETE WITH THE MECH>
<NAPPA’S AND THE MECH’S HANDS GET TANGLED TOGETHER AS THEY CONTINUE TO TRADE BLOWS; THIS CAUSES THE TWO TO GET LOCKED IN A CLOSE STRUGGLE FOR A FEW MOMENTS, EACH TRYING TO BREAK FREE OF THE OTHER; THEN, WITHOUT WARNING, NAPPA LETS OUT A VIOLENT SCREAM AND YANKS THE MECH’S ARMS FORWARD; WITH A TERRIBLE SCREECHING NOISE, THE TWO ARMS RIP OUT OF THEIR SOCKETS; THE MECH STUMBLES FORWARD; THE ONLOOKERS GASP; NAPPA THROWS THE ARMS OUT OF THE WAY AND GRINS>
Nappa: Looks like you’re broken. And I don’t like to play with broken toys, heheh!
<NAPPA JUMPS FORWARD AND CREATES A BLINDING-WHITE ENERGY BALL; HE THROWS IT AT THE MECH’S HEAD, CAUSING A HUGE EXPLOSION TO GO OFF; WHEN THE DUST CLEARS, THE MECH FALLS TO THE GROUND, ITS FRAME BROKEN AND CHARRED, ITS HEAD MELTED AWAY; THE TUFFLES LOOKING ON DESCEND INTO A PANIC>
<THEN, FROM BEHIND THEM, AMANITO COMES FORWARD; HE IS LEADING ANOTHER HOST OF TUFFLES; HE POINTS TO NAPPA>
Amanito: There! Focus your fire on the big one! Bring him down! <THE TUFFLES AIM AT NAPPA IN ONE FLUID SYNCHRONIZED MOTION> Kill the brute!
<THEY FIRE JUST AS NAPPA TURNS TO FACE THEM; THE TUFFLES AND SAIYANS AROUND NAPPA FLEE IN ALL DIRECTIONS TO GET OUT OF THE WAY OF THE ONCOMING ENERGY; NAPPA JUST HUNKERS DOWN INTO HIS FIGHTING STANCE, STILL GRINNING>
<THE CAMERA MOVES TO VEGETA, LASCON, AND ZORN; LIKE THE OTHER GROUPS, THEY ARE BATTLING THROUGH THE WAR-TORN STREETS OF THE TOWN; ZORN IS ON ONE KNEE SHOOTING ENERGY BLASTS IN ALL DIRECTIONS; LASCON IS CLOSE TO VEGETA, COVERING HIS BACK; AROUND THEM, SAIYANS AND TUFFLES ARE BRAWLING IN THE STREETS; THE SAIYANS ARE MOSTLY WINNING EXCEPT WHEN THEY GET OVERWHELMED BY TUFFLE ATTACKS; TURRETS ARE IN THE WINDOWS OF MOST BUILDINGS RAINING DOWN HELLFIRE ON THE WEARY FIGHTERS BELOW; SMALL MECHS ARE TRUDGING THROUGH THE STREETS; A FEW LARGER MECHS ARE ALSO SEEN, AND THEY EASILY CUT THROUGH THE SAIYANS LIKE NO OTHER TUFFLE FORCES CAN>
<A GROUP OF TUFFLES COMMANDED BY THE TUFFLE SOLITARN ARE JUST IN FRONT OF VEGETA; THEY TRY TO BREAK VEGETA’S CHARGE BUT ARE UNSUCCESSFUL; VEGETA CREATES A WALL OF ENERGY TO ABSORB THEIR ATTACKS, THEN HIS SOLDIERS MOVE FORWARD AND EXCHANGE FIRE WITH THE TUFFLES; SMALL MECHS COME FORWARD TO FIGHT, BUT THEY ARE TAKEN DOWN BY LASCON AND A DOZEN SAIYAN WARRIORS>
<SOLITARN RUSHES FORWARD TO ATTACK VEGETA; VEGETA SNARLS AND RUSHES HIM RIGHT BACK; SOLITARN DUCKS AND THEN TRIES TO KICK OUT VEGETA’S LEGS, BUT VEGETA ANTICIPATES THIS; HE FLIPS OVER SOLITARN AND LANDS, NOT FACING THE TUFFLE; HE THEN SHOOTS A GALICK GUN BEHIND HIM BLINDLY; IT MANAGES TO HIT SOLITARN UNEXPECTEDLY, SHOOTING THE TUFFLE AWAY FROM VEGETA SUDDENLY AND SWIFTLY; VEGETA LOSES HIM IN THE CHAOS; HE SPINS AROUND AND USHERS HIS SAIYANS TO MOVE FORWARD>
Vegeta: <STANDING ON THE RUINED STATUE OF SOME FAMOUS TUFFLE> Brothers! Come with me and take this city!
<HIS SOLDIERS ROAR AND FOLLOW HIM; VEGETA TURNS BACK AROUND AND SEES AMANITO AND HIS LEGION MOVING FORWARD; AMANITO IS MORE WOUNDED THAN HE WAS PREVIOUSLY; HE HAS A BLACK EYE AND HIS FOREHEAD HAS A LARGE OPEN GASH THAT HAS BLOODIED HIS FACE AND ARMOR; STILL, HE MOVES AS IF THE WOUNDS DO NOT AFFECT HIM>
<VEGETA GOES INTO THE AIR, DODGES THE ENERGY ATTACKS BUZZING AROUND HIM, AND CHARGES DIRECTLY AT AMANITO; HE KNOCKS THE GENERAL TO THE GROUND BEFORE AMANITO KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON; THEN, VEGETA SHOOTS ROYAL GALICKS IN EITHER DIRECTION TO INCINERATE AMANITO’S PERSONAL GUARDS; AMANITO TRIES TO STAND UP, BUT VEGETA KICKS HIM IN THE FACE AND PICKS HIM UP BY THE NECK>
Vegeta: <IN A WHISPER> Tuffle dog!
Amanito: <CHOKING> V-v-v-vegeta!
Vegeta: Now you die!
<VEGETA RAISES HIS HAND; HE FORMS ENERGY IN IT AT ONCE; AMANITO, HOWEVER, PULLS AN ENERGY KNIFE OUT OFF OF HIS BELT AND TURNS IT UP TO MAXIMUM POWER; IT SIZZLES AND CRACKS WITH ELECTRICITY AND HE SLICES IT UP VEGETA’S TORSO; VEGETA FALLS BACK SCREAMING AND BLEEDING>
<AT ONCE, AMANITO’S LEGION MOVES FORWARD AND SURROUNDS HIM, PROTECTING HIM FROM FURTHER HARM; AMANITO IS WRITHING ON THE GROUND; HIS RIGHT HAND IS BURNT AND BLACKENED – THE PRICE HE PAID FOR OVERCHARGING UP HIS ENERGY KNIFE SO IT WOULD BE ABLE TO HURT VEGETA; AMANITO’S SOLDIERS RAISE THEIR ENERGY BLASTERS AND PREPARE TO SHOOT>
<LASCON AND ZORN FLY UP TO THEIR KING; LASCON GRABS VEGETA AND PULLS HIM OUT OF HARM’S WAY; ZORN COVERS THEM WITH ENERGY ATTACKS; LASCON THEN TAKES VEGETA INTO A RUINED BUILDING, BEHIND SOME COVER>
Lascon: It’s lost, my king. We cannot prevail!
Vegeta: <GROANING IN PAIN> N-no! We must p-push forward!
Lascon: We’ll lose everything if we do! This town is meaningless. We don’t need to destroy it.
Vegeta: Their leaders are here… we must kill them!
Lascon: Paragus is retreating. Dogom’s forces are stonewalled. I don’t know what happened to Nappa. And we are taking far too many casualties here, my king. It’s hopeless!
Vegeta: Then I’ll reform the line and charge–
Lascon: We’ll lose too many soldiers if we try to assault them again. Don’t you remember the Tuffles outnumber us a thousand to one?! It’s suicide! If we lose any more troops, the war itself is lost! We won’t be able to match their armies in the future. This is but one small group of their total armies. We are not even overcoming this small group!
Lascon: Every second we waste, more of us will die. Think quickly my king. Do not let emotions cloud your judgment. If we lose here, we lose everything! This battle is not worth the war!
Vegeta: <LOOKS DOWN, FEELING HIS WOUND; HE SEES THE BLOOD ON HIS HAND AND CLOSES HIS EYES; HE SEEMS TO BE IN PAIN> Very well, Lascon. Order the retreat. Tell them to fall back.
<VEGETA LOWERS HIS HEAD IN DEFEAT>
<THE CAMERA PANS BACK, SHOWING THE SAIYAN ARMY START TO FLOW OUT OF THAT SMALL TOWN; SHOUTS OF ‘FALL BACK!’ AND ‘RETREAT!’ CAN BE HEARD; BRIEFLY, THE CAMERA SHOWS DOGOM ORDERING HIS SOLDIERS TO FALL BACK; ARTACHOC AND PARAGUS ARE SEEN DOING THE SAME>
<SOON, THE SAIYANS ARE GONE, THOUGH MANY THOUSANDS, IF NOT MILLIONS OF BODIES ARE LEFT BEHIND; SHINTAKE SQUARE IS IN RUINS; FIRES ARE ACTIVELY BURNING AND THE ENTIRE AREA IS COVERED IN SMOKE; OUT FROM THE SMOKE COMES AMANITO, VITANDI, VIROS, AND EXITALIA; THEY LOOK OVER THE CARNAGE BEFORE THEM WITH GRIM FACES>
Viros: We have not won today. Neither have they.
Exitalia: They retreated, not us. I think we won.
Amanito: <HOLDING HIS RIGHT HAND GINGERLY; HE HUNCHES OVER IN PAIN> No, Viros is right. Each side has taken tremendous casualties today. But what have we gained from it all? Nothing! <HE SPITS AND THEN WINCES IN PAIN; THE CAMERA PANS BACK, SHOWING AN AERIAL SHOT OF SHINTAKE SQUARE> I fear that today shows where this war is headed. So much fighting, carnage, death… and, at the end of it all, no one standing victorious.
- This chapter was named by me before we wrote any part of the story. I didn't know what the Battle of Shintake Square would be when I came up with the name. But I did know that I wanted to have an important battle that wasn't the last battle in the Saiyan-Tuffle War. This chapter name was important for figuring out the setup of the story as whole.
- The Tuffles are retreating from the battle that ended the last chapter. Still, there are several million Tuffles in this army alone, showing how large the Tuffle forces must be.
- When HZ and I went over this chapter, we knew it would be entirely about the battle. So, we broke up the scenes by separating the named Saiyans. By having smaller groups of the named Saiyans, we could show what everyone does during this battle and also mix it up a bit by switching back and forth between them all.
- I kept Zorn and Lascon with Vegeta for different reasons. With Zorn, I knew that I was going to introduce his sister to Vegeta as a potential wife in the next chapter or so. By keeping him with Vegeta, I show how close the two of them are, which then allows Vegeta's relationship with Kusa seem more natural. Also, Zorn was close to Vegeta in his only anime appearance, so it makes sense that he'd stay with the King. Lascon was kept with Vegeta because he was Vegeta's strategist and one of his closer allies. Lascon remains with Vegeta throughout the story, which becomes an important point during chapter 8. I didn't keep Layeeck with Vegeta since I wanted to give Layeeck a bit more freedom in the battle. If he was with Vegeta, he would mostly have to stay with the King and protect him.
- HZ wrote the sections for his characters. I think he must have had a lot of fun with this chapter, since it was pure battle. No conversations or character development. Just fighting, which is what HZ prefers to write about.
- Shintake Square is obviously a pun on Shiitake mushrooms. All of the other Tuffle names are punned off of various mushrooms too.
- Shintake Square isn't a strategically important town, yet it is the site of one of the most crucial battles in the entire Saiyan-Tuffle War. If I had this battle take place at the Tuffle Capital, I don't think it would be as realistic or impactful. That it takes place at a relatively unimportant location shows the horror of war and its unpredictable nature.
- In this chapter, the mechs were particularly impressive. The Saiyans had lower power levels than they do later, so they aren't able to kill mechs as easily or as consistently. That's why, when Nappa does so later in the chapter, it is portrayed as an epic moment.
- The Tuffle city is based upon the cities seen in the game Medal of Honor: Frontline. The Saiyan charge and all the buildings collapsing is also based upon that game. At least, I saw it all as visually similar in my mind's eye while writing the scenes. I didn't specifically reference the game while writing this chapter though.
- The Tuffle stationary turrets were visually based on the stationary turrets the Covenant used in Halo 2.
- If I remember correctly, Hyper Zergling wrote his two sections (Dogom's and Artachoc's) before I wrote any of the other battle scenes. After he wrote them, I wrote my scenes and rearranged them so that both of his scenes didn't occur one after the other.
- I mentioned Vitandi by name to make Nappa's section slightly different and to give the two a rivalry (which comes to its conclusion in a later chapter).
- Nappa's massive attack is indeed a Volcanic Explosion. I went back and watched him use the attack in the anime to make sure I was describing it correctly.
- I didn't want Layeeck to destroy a mech in this chapter because I felt it would be perceived as me playing favorites with my character. Showing that Nappa can handle what Paragus and Layeeck could not also shows that, at this moment in history, he is much stronger than them.
- Nappa's fate isn't revealed in this chapter. At the end, everyone else is shown to be retreating except for him. I did this on purpose because I wanted him to make a grand entrance next chapter when he confronts Vegeta over their retreat.
- Likewise, Solitarn's fate isn't revealed in this chapter. Since he's not a canon character like Nappa, it is harder to guess if he actually survived. The Galick Gun hits him in an ambiguous enough way that it's not clear if it killed Solitarn on impact. He ended surviving mainly because I wanted other characters, not Vegeta, to take out Amanito's lackeys.
- Vegeta saying "Come with me and take this city!" is a reference to Stannis Baratheon's famous line from the television series, Game of Thrones. There may also be a subtle reason for why I had Vegeta stand on a broken statue of a famous Tuffle when he said that.
- Amanito's wounds (when he meets Vegeta) show that Nappa probably hurt him, but the fact that Amanito and his crew survived the attack does not bode well for Nappa.
- Amanito burns his right hand to overcharge the energy knife enough to be able to do damage to Vegeta. This wound stays with Amanito for the rest of the story. Additionally, the wound he gives Vegeta ends up being the reason Vegeta meets Zorn's sister (whom Vegeta ultimately marries). So the little battle between Vegeta and Amanito, while appearing indecisive, actually has huge ramifications for the rest of the story. But it is a nice moment of neither side winning while each acquiring serious wounds, which is the essence of what this chapter is about, from a larger "Saiyans vs Tuffles" perspective.
- Lascon is the voice of reason and is the main reason why Vegeta retreated. Vegeta probably gave into Lascon's counsel because he was wounded, though. If Vegeta hadn't been wounded by Amanito, he likely would have ignored Lascon's pleas and led another charge, which would have resulted in the Saiyans being defeated in the war. So indirectly, Amanito saved the Saiyans from utter destruction. But Lascon should get a lot of credit too.
- Vegeta is physically pained to call the retreat, as he knows it is not in the "Saiyan Spirit" to ever retreat. Plus, he knows it will make the other named Saiyans question him (which Nappa does in the next chapter). It's a hard moment for him, but in the end, he goes with his species' survival over his own pride, which shows how noble Vegeta can be.
- Amanito's last line is quite important. He is right that the battle is a stalemate and that it is foreshadowing what is to come. The Saiyan-Tuffle War takes place over 10 years. That's a lot of stalemates. When the Saiyans become Great Apes, they win the war in a single night. But they lack the population to do so at this point. And this means there will be a lot more death upcoming, and a lot more bitter and hard-fought battling with no clear winners. The theme that war leads only to death and misery is strong at the end of this chapter.
- Amanito has a lot of moments of realization, but he rarely acts on them. This is because the position he is in doesn't allow him to question what he's doing. He knows that the war will lead to stalemate, but he still fights it. This is partly because of his pride and partly because he knows that if he gives up on the Saiyans now, they will eventually return to crush the Tuffles. So he has to continue the war for his species' sake even if he knows he doesn't have good odds of winning it outright. That's noble of him and depressing, too.
- We chose to have one of the most important battles in the Saiyan-Tuffle War be a stalemate. I'm not sure many other users would do that. So I'm quite proud of that decision. I think that if the Saiyans had won this battle, however, they would have won the entire war outright. So it shows how close they were to winning, and the consequences of them not winning. Many more Saiyans and Tuffles ended up dying because the Saiyans did not win the Battle of Shintake Square.
6. King’s Blood
<VEGETA’S CAMP IS SITUATED AT THE BASE OF A LARGE MOUNTAIN; THE CAMP IS COMPRISED OF THOUSANDS OF TENTS; THE PERIMETER OF THE ENCAMPMENT IS GUARDED BY PALISADE WALLS AND PATROLLING SAIYANS; INSIDE THE ENCAMPMENT, MANY WOUNDED SAIYANS ARE BEING TENDED TO; SOME OF THE SOLDIERS IN VEGETA’S ARMY ARE STILL MARCHING BACK INTO THE CAMP; BRIEFLY, DOGOM, ARTACHOC, AND PARAGUS CAN BE SEEN MOVING INTO THEIR TENTS>
<LAYEECK WALKS BACK INTO CAMP LOOKING VERY TIRED; HE IS LIMPING SLIGHTLY, AND HIS FACE, ARMS, AND CHEST ARE COVERED IN WOUNDS FROM THE PREVIOUS BATTLE; HE SOON BREAKS OFF FROM THE REST OF THE SOLDIERS, PAST A GROUP OF NURSES TENDING WOUNDED SOLDIERS ON COTS, AND WALKS INTO HIS OWN TENT; ONCE INSIDE, HE IS GREETED BY A PUNCH TO THE FACE>
Layeeck: What the…?! Hey!
<HE CATCHES HIS ATTACKER’S SECOND PUNCH AND THIS TIME PUSHES HER BACKWARDS, CAUSING HER TO FALL OVER; THE CAMERA PANS AROUND AND SHOWS THAT THIS SAIYAN IS CYLERIA, THE FEMALE ZHUKIN LOYALIST THAT LAYEECK TOOK PRISONER OF PREVIOUSLY; SHE HAS A BLACK EYE, THOUGH NOT BY LAYEECK’S DOING>
Layeeck: <RUBBING HIS CHIN> What the hell was that for?!
Cyleria: I’m not your slave. You can’t just keep me cooped up in here forever!
Layeeck: Oh yeah? Don’t test me. I could kill you whenever I want. Nobody except the guards at my door know you exist.
Cyleria: Screw them. Your guards are animals!
Layeeck: <MOVES FORWARD A BIT> What, they caught you trying to sneak out? Is that how you got that shiner, heh? <CYLERIA SCOWLS, LOOKING AWAY, EMBARRASSED; LAYEECK LAUGHS> Well, maybe I’ll let you out if you swear loyalty to Vegeta. <CYLERIA ROLLS HER EYES> Stubborn girl… I don’t know why I even bother…
Cyleria: <WIDE EYES> Why do you bother? When you found me, you could have killed me, or let me go. But instead you made me your prisoner. Why?!
Layeeck: I saw how capable a warrior you are when you nearly killed Ocra. And Vegeta needs all the warriors he can get.
Cyleria: Vegeta means nothing to me. He’s not my king. I chose Zhukin–
Layeeck: And he lost. That battle is over. <HE CRACKS HIS KNUCKLES> You will stand with Vegeta, or you will not stand at all. It’s up to you.
Cyleria: <STANDS UP, DEFIANTLY> I don’t think you have it in you.
Layeeck: <NARROWING HIS EYES> I told you not to test me.
Cyleria: I’m not yours to command. <SHE RAISES HER FISTS; LAYEECK DOES LIKEWISE, THOUGH HE SIGHS AND LOOKS WEARY> Let me go.
Layeeck: You know I’m stronger than you.
Cyleria: <THROUGH GRITTED TEETH> I don’t care. I’ll die before I waste another moment as your prisoner.
Layeeck: <STEPS FORWARD, GRABS CYLERIA’S ARMS AS SHE ATTEMPTS TO PUNCH HIM; HE SPINS HER AROUND INTO A HOLD; HE HOLDS HER TIGHTLY AND PULLS HER UP AGAINST HIM> You don’t even know why we’re fighting, do you? What Vegeta is trying to do?
Cyleria: You want to kill the Tuffles. Zhukin told me your plan. It’s stupid. You can’t win. They’ll kill all of you. I don’t want any part of that.
Layeeck: <VOICE SOFTENING> We’re fighting for each other. <HE TOUCHES HER ON THE CHEEK; CYLERIA BLINKS> For our future. Vegeta wants all of us to live. He wants us to be free.
Cyleria: But Zhukin–
Layeeck: Zhukin did not want to fight the Tuffles because he knew he couldn’t win. Now that Vegeta has united the tribes, we can do what Zhukin could not. We can get our freedom back.
Cyleria: I want to be free of your false king!
Layeeck: Everything Vegeta’s done has been for the Saiyans. You do not know how much he has sacrificed for us.
Cyleria: Let go of me!
Layeeck: If you leave us, you won’t make it. The Tuffles will find and kill you. <CYLERIA STRUGGLES AGAIN, BUT DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING; LAYEECK DOES NOT LET GO> The pack survives. The lone wolf dies. <HE GRASPS HER TIGHTLY AND PUTS HIS HEAD UP AGAINST THE BACK OF CYLERIA’S> And I don’t want to see you die, girl…
<THE CAMERA MOVES THROUGH THE CAMP UP TO VEGETA’S LARGE TENT, WHICH IS SURROUNDED BY GUARDS; INSIDE, VEGETA IS SITTING IN A CHAIR, FACED AWAY FROM HIS GREAT WAR TABLE COVERED IN MAPS OF THE PLANET>
<VEGETA’S SHIRT IS OFF; HIS TORSO WOUND IS ACTIVELY BLEEDING; ONE SAIYAN WOMAN IS TENDING TO IT; AFTER A SHORT WHILE, SHE BEGINS TO BANDAGE HIM UP; VEGETA IS STARING AT HIS HAND>
Vegeta: What have you done to me? My entire body is tingling.
Saiyan 2: It’s just a herb I’ve placed along you wound. It’ll lessen the pain.
Vegeta: Hmph. A warrior needs to feel pain to know he’s still alive. <THE SAIYAN FEMALE BOWS HER HEAD, ALMOST LOOKING ASHAMED> But who taught you this medicine? No one in my tribe would be able to do this kind of healing.
Saiyan 2: My mother did, sire.
Vegeta: What’s your name? Which tribe do you hail from?
Saiyan 2: <BOWS> Kusa, my king. You may know my brother, Zorn. <POLITELY, BUT A LITTLE BOLD> He was a chieftain once.
Vegeta: <LEANS BACK IN HIS CHAIR; HE HAS A CURIOUS LOOK ON HIS FACE> Ah, Zorn’s sister, eh? Tell me how you learned this medicine.
Kusa: <CONTINUING TO BANDAGE VEGETEA’S WOUND> When I was a young girl, my mother took me to gather these special herbs. <SHE SHOWS VEGETA THE BOWL OF CRUSHED GREEN THINGS SHE IS USING TO TREAT HIS WOUND> I wanted to go hunting with my brother and father, but…
Vegeta: <LAUGHS> Not everyone can be a warrior.
Kusa: Yes, sire. After we gathered the herbs, my mother showed me how to cut them up and apply them to wounds. That same night, Zorn got hurt on the hunting trip and I had to treat him. I still remember it, huddled around the fire, everyone watching my mother and me work on him. My brother had his stomach ripped open. It was horrible. He had almost been disemboweled. He was going to die. But we never panicked. We stitched him up and applied the herbs to the wound. It took Zorn a few weeks to recover, but he survived it. I’ve loved doing this ever since.
Vegeta: We have no such knowledge of medicine in my tribe. That wound would have killed me.
Kusa: It’s old knowledge, sire. My mother learned it from her mother and so on. My family has had great healers since before the last Legendary Super Saiyan. Since the moon shone at night.
Vegeta: The moon?
Kusa: My mother says it used to wander the sky when the Saiyans were a young race. It made us stronger when it shone its brightest. But then the Saiyans grew and became arrogant with our newfound power, and it drove the moon away. My mother says it won’t return until we learn from our mistakes.
Vegeta: <SIGHS AND LOOKS AT HIS TINGLING FINGERS AGAIN> A fine story.
Kusa: You don’t believe it, sire?
Vegeta: I wish I could. But the moon is just an old wives’ tale.
Kusa: It will come back one day, my king. When we have proven ourselves worthy.
Vegeta: <CHUCKLES> Maybe when we defeat the Tuffles… <SUDDENLY, VEGETA LEANS FORWARD AND PUTS HIS FACE IN BOTH OF HIS HANDS; HE MAY BE CRYING, BUT IT CANNOT BE SEEN> The Tuffles! What hope do we have of defeating them?
Kusa: My brother says you are a great warrior, sire. The greatest he has ever seen. He is confident you will lead us to victory. We all are.
Vegeta: It’s a foolish hope. There’s too many of them. Even if we are the stronger race, we cannot hope to overcome them. I’ve doomed us all by starting this war…
Kusa: Zorn says we are fighting for our freedom. Is that not why you lead us, sire?
Vegeta: <SHAKES HIS HEAD, WHICH IS STILL IN HIS HANDS> It helped me unite the tribes, but it’s more than that to me. I want revenge. <KUSA COMES CLOSER TO VEGETA, PLACING HER HAND ON HIS SHOULDER> My father wanted to destroy the Tuffles, but he grew old and weak and sick before he could make that happen. It fell to me and my brother as our father lay dying in his bed. We led our tribe against the Tuffles. I-I can still see that day in my mind! It was raining. We were trudging through the mud, preparing to assault the nearest Tuffle city when they came. I don’t know how many there were – hundreds, thousands – but they surrounded us. My brother Tarble tried to fight his way out, but they shot him. I saw him go limp, his eyes go dark, his blood wash away in the rain. They took his body. Told us to turn around and go home. Some of the Saiyans tried to avenge him, but the Tuffles just shot them too. There were too many. We couldn’t do anything. <VEGETA DROPS HIS HANDS, THOUGH HE KEEPS HIS HEAD BOWED AND HIS EYES CLOSED> I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t even take his body home to bury it. The Tuffle dogs wouldn’t let me! Ever since that day, I’ve wanted to kill them all to avenge my father and brother, to avenge my people. I should have been stronger… I should have been able to kill those Tuffles and protect Tarble. But I couldn’t. And now, even with all the Saiyans standing with me, I am no closer to avenging them. <HE LOOKS UP AT KUSA> Why am I telling you this? I don’t know what’s happened to me. <HE LOOKS AROUND> Your medicine… it must be affecting me…
<BEFORE KUSA CAN RESPOND, A GUARD COMES RUNNING INTO THE TENT>
Saiyan Guard 3: King Vegeta! Come quickly! He’s returned.
<VEGETA SCOWLS, THEN PICKS UP HIS CAPE AND PUTS IT ON; HE DOES NOT PUT A SHIRT ON, THOUGH; HE WALKS OUT OF THE TENT VERY QUICKLY, LEAVING KUSA BEHIND; THE GUARD FOLLOWS HIM OUT; VEGETA MOVES FORWARD UNTIL HE REACHES THE CENTER OF THE CAMP; THERE, STANDING ALONE IN THE MIDDLE OF AN OPEN AREA, SAIYANS WATCHING HIM FROM ALL SIDES, IS NAPPA; HE IS COVERED IN CUTS AND BRUISES AND IS VERY DIRTY; HIS EYES ARE BLOODSHOT AND HE IS SCREAMING VEGETA’S NAME; AS SOON AS HE SEES VEGETA, HE SNEERS>
Vegeta: <STRIDES UP TO NAPPA> What do you want, Nappa?
<NAPPA SHOOTS FORWARD AND PUNCHES VEGETA RIGHT WHERE HIS WOUND IS; THE WOUND OPENS AT ONCE AND BLOOD STARTS TO POOL UNDER THE WHITE BANDAGE ACROSS VEGETA’S CHEST; VEGETA LETS OUT A HOARSE SCREAM AND DROPS TO ONE KNEE>
Nappa: Real Saiyans don’t retreat from battle! You left me there to die!
Vegeta: <PANTING HEAVILY AND TREMBLING IN PAIN; HE IS NOT LOOKING AT NAPPA> W-we… would… h-h-have… lo-lost… I-I told everyone… to retreat…
Nappa: <KICKS VEGETA IN THE HEAD, CAUSING THE KING TO FALL TO THE DIRT> You’re weak, Vegeta. It’s time a real warrior became king.
Vegeta: <LOOKS UP AT THE SAIYANS AROUND HIM; THEIR FACES ARE ALL POINTED TOWARDS HIM; THEY LOOK SHOCKED; IN HIS MIND> These Saiyans won’t follow me if they think I’m weak. I need to show them who I am… <HE STANDS UP; OUT LOUD> I-I may be… wounded… but I am still… your king! It is n-not wise to… to ch-challenge me.
<NAPPA LAUGHS AND THROWS A PUNCH AT VEGETA; VEGETA JUMPS ASIDE AND THEN TELEPORT-KICKS NAPPA IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD; THE LARGER SAIYAN GRUNTS IN PAIN AND FLIPS AROUND, SHOOTING A WHITE KI BLAST; VEGETA TELEPORTS BEHIND NAPPA AGAIN AND UNLEASHES A FLURRY OF PUNCHES INTO THE BRUTE’S BACK; NAPPA FALLS FORWARD; HE TRIES TO TRIP VEGETA AS HE GOES FORWARD, BUT VEGETA JUMPS INTO THE AIR AND THEN COMES SHOOTING DOWN ON NAPPA’S NECK WITH ONE FOOT; NAPPA FALLS TO THE GROUND AND ROLLS AWAY JUST IN TIME TO DODGE VEGETA’S NEXT STRIKE; THIS TIME HE JUMPS UP AND THROWS A FLYING PUNCH AT VEGETA’S BACK; THE ATTACK GOES RIGHT THROUGH VEGETA’S BODY, WHICH IS ACTUALLY AN AFTERIMAGE; CONFUSED, NAPPA GRUNTS AND LOOKS AROUND FOR WHERE THE REAL VEGETA IS WHEN HE IS HIT ON THE TOP OF THE HEAD BY VEGETA’S INTERLOCKED HANDS; NAPPA STAGGERS AROUND, SWINGING PUNCHES WILDLY, BUT VEGETA STAYS FAR ENOUGH AWAY TO NOT GET HIT BY ANY OF THE ATTACKS>
<VEGETA GRIMACES AND FEELS HIS BLEEDING WOUND AS NAPPA SETTLES DOWN INTO ANOTHER ATTACK; PANTING STILL, VEGETA JUST WATCHES AS THE BRUTE CHARGES UP A HUGE ENERGY BEAM AND THEN HURLS IT AT HIS KING; JUST BEFORE THE BLAST REACHES VEGETA, VEGETA SLAPS IT ASIDE; THE BEAM FLIES OFF INTO THE AIR UP AND BEHIND THE KING, WHERE IT EXPLODES; AT THE SAME TIME, VEGETA SHOOTS FORWARD, PUNCHES NAPPA IN THE CHIN, BACKHANDS HIM ACROSS THE FACE, GRABS HIM BY THE NECK, AND THEN SHOOTS HIM WITH A ROYAL GALICK GUN WITH HIS FREE HAND; HE LETS GO OF NAPPA AND NAPPA FALLS TO THE GROUND, WOUNDED AND UNCONSCIOUS>
<VEGETA FALLS TO HIS KNEES AND LOOKS AT THE SAIYANS WATCHING HIM; MANY ARE CHEERING, SOME ARE CHANTING HIS NAME, AND OTHERS ARE WATCHING IN SILENCE, THEIR FACES FULL OF SHOCK AND AWE; VEGETA FEELS HIS WOUND AND SEES HIS HAND IS COVERED IN RED BLOOD; VEGETA IS STILL TREMBLING IN PAIN AND HE BEGINS TO FALL BACK; HE IS SUDDENLY CAUGHT BY SOMEONE, AND AS VEGETA LOOKS UP INTO THE DEEP BLUE SKY, THE CONCERNED AND BEAUTIFUL FACE OF KUSA COMES INTO VIEW; VEGETA FALLS UNCONSCIOUS AND THE SCREEN GOES BLACK>
<CUTS TO A TUFFLE CITY, WHICH IS BUSTLING WITH LIFE>
Tuffle Councilor 2: This is unprecedented… unacceptable.
Tuffle Councilor 3: How many are dead?
Tuffle Councilor: This was a grave misstep.
<THE CAMERA DISSOLVES INTO THE DIMLY LIT TUFFLE COUNCIL CHAMBERS; THERE, AMANITO, HIS GUARDS, AND THE TUFFLE COUNCILORS ARE MEETING; THE COUNCILORS ARE SITTING BEHIND A RAISED BENCH; AMANITO IS ONCE AGAIN IN HIS FINEST ARMOR; HIS GUARDS ARE FLANKING THE GENERAL>
Amanito: We underestimated the Saiyan resolve. I thought we would have been able to break them at Shintake Square.
Tuffle Councilor 8: And yet, you did not.
Amanito: <QUIET DEFIANCE> We drove the Saiyans back.
Tuffle Councilor: At what cost?!
Tuffle Councilor 3: Do we still do not have a count for how many we lost?
Amanito: I do not know the exact numbers, but it was in the millions. Still, we have several armies–
Tuffle Councilor 6: Too many have died. The war cannot go on like this.
Amanito: It won’t. I will revise my strategies and find a better way to destroy the Saiyans.
Tuffle Councilor 7: No, you will not. The time for war is over. Our people have bled and died for you enough already.
Amanito: What are you talking about? You gave me full executive power to run our empire–
Tuffle Councilor 2: And now we revoke that action.
Amanito: <ANGRY> You do not have the power! It is mine! It was given to me!
Tuffle Councilor 4: General Amanito, you have proven yourself incapable of dealing with the Saiyan threat. Our only course of action is to deal with their king ourselves.
Tuffle Councilor: We will offer a peace treaty to these Saiyans.
Amanito: <ANGER BUILDING> You cannot reason with these savages! These animals! They live to fight and die. They do not know what peace is. Only I can protect our race from them!
Tuffle Councilor 7: No. You will only lead us to more death. We must protect the realm by ending this war.
Amanito: <ENRAGED; HE TURNS AROUND TO LOOK AT HIS GUARDS BEHIND HIM> Nivalus! Give me my rifle!
Tuffle Councilor 5: What is the meaning of this?!
<NIVALUS THROWS AMANITO AN ENERGY RIFLE; AMANITO POINTS IT AT THE COUNCILORS>
Amanito: <SHOUTING> I will protect the Tuffles from the Saiyan scourge! It is my duty! My obligation! If you stand in my way councilors, then you are no less a threat to our people than the Saiyans.
Tuffle Councilor: The power to rule is ours. It has always been so. Put the gun down, Amanito. You risk more than you know by doing this.
Amanito: Do I?! Maybe the Tuffles don’t need you. Maybe we are better off with a true leader! Anyone who would seek peace with the Saiyans is an enemy to our race!
Tuffle Councilor 8: Put down the weapon!
Tuffle Councilor 6: It is treason to threaten us!
Tuffle Councilor 5: This mistake will be your end!
Amanito: Oh yeah?
<GENERAL AMANITO PLACES HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER AND THEN SHOOTS>
<CUTS TO JUST OUTSIDE A TUFFLE CITY (WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE ONE FROM THE PREVIOUS SCENE)>
<OCRA, ZORN, AND LASCON ARE HIDING BEHIND ROCKS HIGH UP ON TWO MOUNTAINS FACING ONE ANOTHER; WITH THEM IS A SMALL GROUP OF SAIYAN WARRIORS; BELOW THEM, A TUFFLE FORCE IS MOVING THROUGH THE MOUNTAIN PASS, OBLIVIOUS TO THE HIDING SAIYANS; THEY HAVE CARTS OF FOOD AND SUPPLIES WITH THEM>
<LASCON HOLDS UP HIS HAND AND ALL OF THE SAIYANS SIT UP IN AGGRESSIVE STANCES; THEN, LASCON LOWERS HIS HAND AND ALL OF THE SAIYANS JUMP FORWARD, SCREAMING AND YELLING WAR CRIES>
<THEY LAND ON TOP OF THE TUFFLE FORCE AND A BRIEF SKIRMISH BREAKS OUT; LASCON LANDS ON THE BACK OF ONE TUFFLE AND BREAKS THE SOLDIER’S NECK WITH EASE; THEN, HE ROLLS TO THE SIDE AND STARTS SHOOTING KI BLASTS AT OTHER TUFFLES; OCRA LANDS AND SHOOTS TWO KI BLASTS THAT VAPORIZE TWO TUFFLES ON EITHER SIDE OF HER; THEN, SHE LEADS HER SAIYAN TROOPS FORWARD; THEY SWEEP THROUGH THE TUFFLE PROCESSION, KILLING ALL THEY CAN FIND; ZORN FLIES DOWN AND PUNCHES A TUFFLE’S HEAD IN; THEN, HE RUNS FORWARD, JUMPS OVER A SUPPLY CART, AND CHASES DOWN A TUFFLE WHO WAS RUNNING AWAY FROM THE CARNAGE; ZORN TURNS BACK AROUND AND SEES THAT ALL OF THE TUFFLES ARE DEAD; HE RUNS BACK TO OCRA AND LASCON>
Ocra: <REACHES INTO A NEARBY FOOD CART AND PULLS OUT A PIECE OF MEAT; SHE EATS IT VORACIOUSLY> Poor fools. They didn’t stand a chance.
Lascon: Surprise is a great ally. Our casualties were far fewer than theirs. <HE GESTURES AT THE BODIES; ONLY ONE OR TWO OF THEM ARE DEAD SAIYANS> They didn’t know what hit them.
Zorn: <OBSERVING THE SCENE> We should tell King Vegeta about this. If we can use the element of surprise, we can take out more Tuffles without risking as many of our troops.
Lascon: Yes, Zorn. But it will be difficult to find a large group of Tuffles to ambush. And the more of these little groups that start disappearing, the more alert the Tuffle armies will become.
Ocra: <POINTS TO THE CITY JUST ON THE EDGE OF SIGHT, BEYOND THE MOUNTAINS> We could sneak into a city at night and kill everyone while they aren’t looking.
Zorn: They have automated defenses. They’ll know we’re coming.
Ocra: <TAKES ANOTHER PIECE OF MEAT OFF OF A CART AND EATS IT> Heh, not if we hide in plain sight.
- Hyper Zergling originally named this chapter "Spoke Too Soon". I renamed it only after I had written the chapter. The name is a reference to the theme of what it takes to be a king, which is explored in this chapter, as well as being a more overt reference to Vegeta's blood from the wound he suffered last chapter (which results in him meeting his future wife).
- The way Cyleria attacks Layeeck in this chapter is a reference to how Ledas attacks Layeeck in chapter 3 of Dragon Ball Z: The Forgotten. This is a cool, subtle reference to how Cyleria's personality is reflected in her son.
- Layeeck's conversation with Cyleria serves two purposes. One, it shows why Layeeck kept her alive (and what he did with her since her last appearance), and it shows that he has some romantic feelings for her that are just beginning to manifest.
- I was tempted to use the famous lines from A Song of Ice and Fire: "Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died." when Layeeck argues with Cyleria about Zhukin, but I didn't end up using it because it seemed a bit odd for them to say, given their personalities.
- Cyleria's stubborn individuality is one of her greatest personality traits (in my opinion). This is later reflected in Ledas, especially as to why he goes Super Saiyan for the first time. In the context of this story, it shows that even in defeat, she does not give in to those who have conquered her, and even tried to escape (getting a black eye from Layeeck's guards). Layeeck finds this annoying about her, but he respects her as well.
- This conversation had to end in a way that allowed Cyleria to fight with the rest of the Saiyans in future battles, as I knew the next chapter would be a large montage one. I wanted her to take part in some of the battles. That is why Layeeck starts talking about Vegeta. The subtext of that part of the conversation however is Layeeck telling Cyleria that he's fallen for her and wants to share a future with her. If she understands that isn't clear, though.
- Kusa is an interesting subject. For one, she wasn't meant to be in the story at all - at least, not from the onset. It was only after we'd written a few chapters that the topic of Vegeta's wife came up. Considering we show the wives of Layeeck and HZ's characters (as well as mention Paragus'), it felt weird to not include Vegeta's wife in this story. Having a love interest for Vegeta would allow his character to grow and expand. Also, we knew that The Great War would span all of the Saiyan-Tuffle War and a little bit afterwards, so she would have to appear one way or another. Not mentioning her until the end of the story would be a bad move, so we sought to include her as early as possible. The aftermath of the Battle for Shintake Square seemed like a natural place to inject her. This is why we made her a healer. It gives her a unique backstory and allowed us to pun her name - Kusa - off of a Japanese word for "herb". We wanted her name to be a pun off of a major thing, just like Vegeta's name is a pun of vegetable. We didn't want her name to be a pun of a vegetable, since that would make her seem less "noble" than all of the rest. Still, we used the word herb, since it is (considered by many) to be a sub-type of vegetables, though it has its own category too. I also knew that Kusa would need to be a noble of some sort for Vegeta to logically get with her. I wasn't interested in the cliched "prince and peasant woman" kind of deal. Hyper Zergling and I went through the possible canon characters she could be related to - Paragus, Zorn, Nappa - and chose Zorn from the group. We were always a bit wary with this plotline since Toriyama could reveal Kusa's "canon" name in the future, like he did with Gine (destroying many a fanon in the process). If that ever happens, we'll simply change Kusa's name in the story and forget the name we came up with.
- At the start of the conversation between Vegeta and Kusa, Vegeta is very aggressive and warrior-like, while Kusa is far more passive. This contrast allows their relationship to develop as they try to get to know one another.
- The story about Zorn was my way to have a little fun and expand Zorn's backstory without him even being in the room. It also expands Kusa's story and shows quite a bit about her personality.
- The idea that Zorn's tribe had different (and better) medical capabilities than Vegeta's shows that the tribes have separate cultures and technological levels from one another. Now that the tribes have been united, these cultural differences begin to blend together and lose their distinction.
- Kusa mentioning the moon is a second piece of foreshadowing to the Great Ape transformation. We tried to have as much foreshadowing as possible to not make the Saiyans' transformations appear as deus ex machina. Kusa, like the Old Saiyan Woman, specifically mentions that when the moon shines its brightest (when it's full), the Saiyans become stronger. This is intentional on our part, of course. Vegeta doesn't believe the moon stories to be true however, which sets him up for some character growth later in the story when he finds out they are real.
- We've seen Vegeta's angst before, so his explosion of regret and fear in this chapter has been built up to. Considering he's just had a huge stalemate battle that has cost him many soldiers (he likely considers the battle a loss) and probably quite a bit morale on his followers' part, Vegeta is becoming depressed. Certainly, Kusa's medicine is also making him more open to talking about his feelings, which he likely would not have done if she had not treated him with those herbs.
- Vegeta's story about his brother came out of nowhere. I wanted to portray Vegeta as sympathetic, so I came up with that story on the spot.
- Having Vegeta's brother named Tarble was a fun little move, as it explains why Vegeta named his second son "Tarble". He was naming him after his own brother. It also shows that King Vegeta had a brother that filled the "vegetable" pun along with his name; this, of course, also occurs with King Vegeta's two sons.
- Vegeta has a huge chip on his shoulder. He wants to free his race, but he also needs to get revenge for his brother's death to get some closure. Him feeling inadequate and weak because he was unable to protect Tarble explains a lot of his actions in this story.
- When the Saiyan Guard says "He's returned.", this is ambiguous enough to imply the guard is talking about Amanito. Are we in for another battle so soon after the last one? Of course not! I build up the reader's expectations and then go in a completely different direction with the plot.
- I had a very clear image of what Vegeta looked like in this scene - no shirt, but a cape, shorts, and his furs. By having his chest bare, his wound can be seen by anyone who looks at him, which is important for the battle against Nappa.
- Vegeta had misgivings about retreating in the last chapter. He knew it would make people question his leadership. The scene with Nappa is what resulted from Vegeta retreating.
- Vegeta is tired and weak, and after Nappa punches him in his wound, his power drops significantly. Still, he has the courage to face Nappa. That he ultimately beats Nappa in his state shows how motivated Vegeta is to remain king and see his goals fulfilled. This also wins back the support of the Saiyans who, like Nappa, would have been angry at Vegeta ordering the retreat from Shintake Square. I figured news of this battle would have spread through the camp like wildfire, and respect for Vegeta would have instantly rose to levels never before seen.
- The slow-mo scene after Vegeta beats Nappa and falls to his knees, watching the people cheering him on is a reference to the end of the movie Gladiator, as Maximus is dying. Of course, Vegeta is not dying in this scene. When he falls back, Kusa catches him, which foreshadows a future relationship developing between them.
- The first line coming out of Tuffle Councilor 2's mouth is a reference to Halo 2 when Half-Jaw is talking with the Prophet of Truth during the first cutscene before the level "Sacred Icon".
- There is tragedy in the scene with Amanito and the councilors. It shows that the councilors would have tried to form a peace treaty with Vegeta, potentially ending the war. If Vegeta would have gone along with it can't be said, but at least the Tuffles would have tried for it. Amanito on the other hand just wants to annihilate the Saiyans. He's become obsessed with rendering them extinct. He's drunk with power and pride, and this is only amplified after he kills the councilors.
- The councilors did not expect Amanito to kill them, which is why they continued to threaten the General even after he pointed the rifle their way. The Tuffle council had ruled the Tuffle Empire for more than a thousand years by this point, so the councilors thought it was unthinkable that anyone would try to dissolve their institution.
- Amanito killing the councilors shows him in a negative light, more as a villain. That contrasts with Vegeta's noble and heroic actions in this chapter.
- I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating - Ocra is my favorite Saiyan of Hyper Zergling's. That is why I use her whenever I can. I don't particularly care for his other Saiyans (I don't hate or like them), which is why they aren't in the scene. The mixture of Ocra, Zorn, and Lascon is also a rather interesting combination, just considering where each Saiyan has come from.
- Ocra eating the raw meat off of the cart is the most typical "primitive Saiyan" thing I could think of. I could see her doing that in motion in my mind.
- The final scene sets up a future Saiyan strategy to invade the Tuffle cities. Obviously, it is inspired by the "Trojan Horse" method of sneaking into a city. The Saiyans can't really besiege the Tuffle cities, as they have energy shielding, so sneaking in is the best way to overrun one of them.
- I think Hyper Zergling was originally going to write Dogom's team sneaking into a city in this chapter, but the chapter was long enough already without that scene, so we put it off. Because of that, I don't believe Hyper Zergling wrote any part of this chapter, but I could be wrong. He may have written some of the fight scene between Vegeta and Nappa, but I'm not sure.
7. Ten Years’ War
<CUTS TO AMANITO>
<AMANITO IS STANDING ON THE BALCONY OF A TALL BUILDING; NIVALUS IS BEHIND HIM; TUFFLE CROWDS ARE BELOW HIM, AND VIDEO FEEDS ARE BROADCASTING HIM TO OTHER CITIES AS WELL>
Amanito: Friends, Tuffles, citizens, grievous news has reached me. It appears that late last night, some Saiyan cowards snuck into this city, destroyed everything they could, and assassinated our beloved councilors. <THE SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED FACES OF THE TUFFLES ARE BRIEFLY SHOWN; THEN, THE CAMERA PANS BACK AND SHOWS SEVERAL BUILDINGS BEHIND AMANITO THAT ARE HEAVILY DAMAGED; CLEARLY, THIS IS THE WORK OF AMANITO, TRYING TO COVER UP HIS MURDERING OF THE COUNCILORS, BUT NO ONE SUSPECTS THAT; AMANITO RAISES HIS LEFT HAND> I know, I know. This is dreadful news for all of us. We will make the Saiyans will pay for what they have done to us! None of them will survive this! And I promise you, my fellow countrymen, that when this war is over, our people will stand! We will kill these savage beasts and we will be victorious!
Tuffle Crowd: Kill them all! Kill them all! Death to the Saiyans!
<AMANITO WATCHES THEM SHOUT THEIR SUPPORT AND A SMALL SMILE FORMS ON HIS THIN LIPS>
<CUTS TO VEGETA>
<VEGETA IS STANDING IN HIS TENT WITH HIS WAR COUNCIL – LASCON, LAYEECK, ZORN, PARAGUS, NAPPA, DOGOM, AUBERE, ARTACHOC, AND OCRA; KUSA IS STANDING AT VEGETA’S SIDE; VEGETA IS WEARING A BANDAGE ACROSS HIS CHEST, A FUR CAPE, PANTS, BOOTS, AND GLOVES>
Vegeta: This war is never going to end if we keep on like this. There are too many Tuffles.
Paragus: I say we hit them all at once. Catch them off guard.
Zorn: <SHAKES HIS HEAD> We risk losing too much in such an engagement. If they push us back, the war would be lost. <TO VEGETA> My king, I have another idea. We can use stealth to our advantage. Sneak up on their patrolling armies, take a few out, run away, repeat.
Nappa: Only a coward would do that!
Zorn: What would you have us do, Nappa? We don’t have the strength to attack them head-on. This is the only way–
Lascon: No, it is not. Zorn, you are right that we need to use every advantage we have to assault the Tuffles, but sneak attacks will only get us so far. We need to take out their leaders. Once their generals are dead, the Tuffle armies will be thrown into chaos. They are a peaceful species – if they lose their commanders, they won’t know what to do. Then we can attack.
Vegeta: <PONDERING; ARMS CROSSED> Both of you are right… in a way. What we must do is remove the Tuffles’ only advantage – their numbers. <HE WALKS FORWARD TO THE MAP> We will do this by stretching the playing field. <HE POINTS TO A SPOT ON THE MAP> Nappa, you will lead an army here. <HE POINTS TO ANOTHER SPOT> Dogom, you will take a force here. <HE POINTS TO ANOTHER SPOT> Zorn, you will lead your group here. <HE POINTS TO ANOTHER SPOT> Paragus, you will take this spot. <HE THEN POINTS TO THEIR CURRENT LOCATION ON THE MAP> I will stay here and lead our remaining forces. <HE LOOKS OVER AT LASCON> Lascon, you will stay with me as an advisor. <HE LOOKS TO LAYEECK> Layeeck, go with Zorn. <LAYEECK NODS; VEGETA LOOKS AROUND THE ROOM> Their armies will have to split off in order to fight all of our groups across the planet. Use this to your advantage, brothers. All of you were once war chieftains. I have the greatest confidence that you will be able to defeat our enemies for the good of our people.
<THEY ALL RAISE THEIR FISTS INTO THE AIR AND SHOUT IN SUPPORT>
<CAMERA FADES TO BLACK>
Vegeta: The war went on longer than we thought… longer than any of us had hoped it would.
<A BRIEF SCENE OF NAPPA’S FORCES SNEAKING INTO A TUFFLE CAMP IS SHOWN; IT IS NIGHT AND THE TUFFLES ARE SLEEPING; THE SAIYANS RUN UP TO THE GUARDS AND BREAK THEIR NECKS, THEN RUN INTO THE TENTS AND KILL THE REMAINING SLEEPING SOLDIERS; NAPPA IS SHOWN ENTERING A TENT, KILLING A BUNCH OF TUFFLE GUARDS WITH EASE; HE RUNS FORWARD TO A LARGE BED AND PULLS THE TUFFLE COMMANDER VITANDI OUT OF IT; HE HOLDS THE TUFFLE BY THE NECK, GRINNING, AND THEN SQUEEZES HARD, CAUSING VITANDI’S HEAD TO EXPLODE IN A FLASH OF KI>
Vegeta: For every victory we had, a defeat soon set us back to where we started.
<PARAGUS’ ARMY IS SHOWN RETREATING FROM A TUFFLE FORCE; PILES OF CORPSES (TUFFLE AND SAIYAN ONES) ARE SEEN LYING BEHIND THEM AS THEY RETREAT; PARAGUS’ FACE IS COVERED IN BLOOD, THOUGH NOT ALL OF IT IS HIS; HE LEADS HIS FORCES BACK BY PUNCHING HIS WAY THROUGH A TUFFLE LINE AND INCINERATING ANY TUFFLES THAT GET TOO CLOSE WITH FIERY ENERGY BEAMS>
Vegeta: There were just too many of them.
<ZORN’S ARMY IS SHOWN HIDING IN TALL GRASS; LAYEECK IS CROUCHING NEXT TO ZORN; AS AN ARMY OF TUFFLES MARCHES THROUGH THE GRASS, THE SAIYANS JUMP UP FROM ALL SIDES AND DECIMATE THE TUFFLES WITH ENERGY ATTACKS; SOME OF THE TUFFLES WHO SURVIVE THE FIRST ENERGY BARRAGE REACH FOR THEIR RIFLES, BUT THEY ARE KILLED BY ANOTHER ENERGY BARRAGE BEFORE THEY CAN AIM AT THE SAIYANS>
Vegeta: It was only the strength of our people that kept us going in those dark times.
<VEGETA IS SEEN LEADING A FORCE THROUGH A CANYON; THE SAIYANS ARE CLIMBING ON THE ROCKS, FAR ABOVE THE GROUND; BELOW THEM IS A TUFFLE SETTLEMENT AND PATROLLING GUARDS; VEGETA NODS TO THE OTHERS AND THEN JUMPS OFF OF THE ROCKS TO THE GROUND BELOW; THEY FOLLOW HIM; AS SOON AS EVERYONE LANDS, THEY RUSH FORWARD AND SHOOT ENERGY BLASTS AT THE TUFFLES AHEAD OF THEM; VEGETA ROLLS PAST THE FIRST GROUP OF GUARDS, PUNCHES A FEW IN THE SECOND GROUP TO DEATH, THEN TURNS AROUND AND HITS THE FIRST SET OF GUARDS WITH RAPID FIRE ENERGY ATTACKS FROM BEHIND; SOON, HIS SAIYAN FORCE, INCLUDING LASCON, REACHES HIM, AND THEY PUSH FORWARD; THEY QUICKLY OVERWHELM THE SMALL TUFFLE SETTLEMENT AND SET IT ABLAZE>
Vegeta: This was our planet. We would not give up. Not until all of them were dead.
<A LARGE BATTLEFIELD IS SHOWN; DEAD TUFFLES AND SAIYANS COVER THE GROUND; FIRES RAGE; CRATERS AND POTHOLES ARE SEEN EVERYWHERE; SMOKE IS RISING INTO THE SKY; NO LIVING TUFFLES OR SAIYANS ARE SEEN>
Vegeta: I had to keep going. I couldn’t stop. I was their leader, their beacon of light in these dark times. I was tired, but I couldn’t show it. I couldn’t be weak. I had to get stronger. I always had to get stronger.
<VEGETA IS SHOWN SPARRING WITH KUSA; IT IS RAINING AND FOGGY; SHE ATTACKS HIM WITH A FLYING KICK; HE BLOCKS IT, JUMPS OVER HER, SPINS AROUND, AND HITS HER IN THE BACK; SHE FALLS FORWARD INTO THE MUD; VEGETA RUSHES FORWARD, BUT KUSA JUMPS UP AND ELBOWS VEGETA IN THE STOMACH; HE PUSHES HER BACK; THEY GET INTO A BLOW EXCHANGE, BOTH LOOKING DETERMINED TO WIN; THE CAMERA STARTS TO ZOOM BACK AS VEGETA OVERCOMES KUSA, PUSHING HER TO THE GROUND AGAIN>
Vegeta: This was a planet-wide war. No one was safe. No one could avoid it.
<THE PLANET IS SHOWN FROM OUTER SPACE; EXPLOSIONS CAN BE SEEN GOING OFF ACROSS THE SURFACE; MUCH OF THE PLANET’S SURFACE LOOKS LIKE IT IS ALREADY BURNING>
<A MONTAGE SHOWS A FEW QUICK SCENES – OCRA GIVES BIRTH TO A BABY GIRL WHILE ARTACHOC WATCHES; SAIYAN FORCES MARCH TO A RIVER AND ARE AMBUSHED BY TUFFLES; VEGETA NOW HAS A GOATEE AND A LIGHT BEARD; HE IS SEEN KISSING KUSA BRIEFLY; DOGOM AND AUBERE HOLD THEIR NEWBORN BABY BOY; CYLERIA AND LAYEECK ARE SEEN SPARRING; CYLERIA DOESN’T SEEM TO BE SO HOSTILE ANYMORE>
<AMANITO IS SHOWN LEADING A TUFFLE FORCE AGAINST AN UNKNOWN SAIYAN ARMY; HE WATCHES FROM A RAISED HILL AS THE FORCES FIGHT; THE OTHER TUFFLE COMMANDERS, EXITALIA, SOLITARN, AND VIROS, ARE EACH SHOWN FIGHTING AGAINST SAIYANS; UNLIKE AMANITO, THEY ARE LEADING THEIR FORCES AND ENGAGING SAIYANS PERSONALLY>
<CUTS TO DOGOM’S ARMY>
<IT IS THE LATE EVENING>
<DOGOM, AUBERE, OCRA, AND SOME OF THEIR SOLDIERS SNEAK OVER SOME ROCKS AND CROUCH-WALK UP TO A GROUP OF TUFFLE SOLDIERS; THE TUFFLES ARE CONVERSING WITH ONE ANOTHER, TALKING AND LAUGHING AS THEY SIT AROUND A FIRE; THE SAIYANS COME UP BEHIND THEM AND, IN UNISON, SNAP ALL OF THE TUFFLES’ NECKS>
Ocra: <KICKING A DEAD TUFFLE> This will be easy. They won’t even notice.
<SHE TAKES THAT DEAD TUFFLE’S HELMET OFF AND PLACES IT OVER HER HEAD>
<CUTS TO NIGHT>
<OCRA AND AUBERE, IN TUFFLE ARMOR THAT BARELY FITS THEM, LEAD A COUPLE FOOD CARTS (THE SAME TYPE OF CARTS SEEN AT THE END OF THE LAST CHAPTER) UP TO THE GATES OF A LARGE CITY; THE TUFFLE GUARDS DON’T SEEM TO NOTICE ANYTHING IS AMISS AND OPEN THE GATES TO LET THE SAIYANS IN>
<ONCE INSIDE, AUBERE AND OCRA LEAD THE CARTS THROUGH THE STREETS, PAST TUFFLE PEDESTRIANS AND PATROLLING GUARDS, INTO AN ALLEYWAY; ONCE THEY ARE IN THERE, DOGOM AND THE OTHER SOLDIERS JUMP OUT OF THE CARTS>
<DOGOM IMMEDIATELY RUNS UP TO THE NEAREST GUARD, GRABS HIM BY THE THROAT, AND THEN PUNCHES HIM AWAY WITH HIS FREE HAND, LAUNCHING HIM INTO ANOTHER GUARD, KILLING BOTH AT ONCE; HE THEN RUSHES BETWEEN TWO GUARDS AND RELEASES A SMALL EXPLOSIVE WAVE, INSTANTLY KILLING THEM AS WELL; BY THIS TIME, THE OTHER GUARDS ARE AWARE OF THE AMBUSH AND FIRE UPON THE SAIYANS; DOGOM, HOWEVER, IS FAR TOO FAST FOR THEM TO FOLLOW AND CONTINUES TO ZIP BETWEEN THEM, KILLING EACH ONE AT CLOSE RANGE>
<THE OTHER SAIYANS CLEAN UP ANY GUARDS DOGOM IS NOT ALREADY KILLING; OCRA AND AUBERE BEGIN KILLING TUFFLES AS WELL; THE CITY BEGINS TO BURN>
<CUTS TO ZORN’S ARMY>
<ZORN, LAYEECK, CYLERIA, AND THE REST OF THE ARMY ARE AT THE EDGE OF A RIVER, HIDING BEHIND TREES; A TUFFLE FORCE IS WADING THROUGH THE WATER, WHICH IS ONLY KNEE-HIGH; SUDDENLY, THE SAIYANS SPRING OUT FROM BEHIND THE TREES AND START SHOOTING ENERGY AT THE TUFFLES; THE TUFFLES, ARE UNSURPRISED AND ALREADY HAVE THEIR WEAPONS READY; THEY FIRE BACK AND DIVE BEHIND CARTS AND HOVERCRAFT TO TAKE COVER; THEN, FROM BEHIND THE SAIYANS, ANOTHER TUFFLE FORCES COMES>
Layeeck: <SHOUTING TO THE TROOPS> Behind! Behind!
Zorn: They’ve tricked us!
<THESE TUFFLES, AS WELL AS THOSE IN THE WATER, ARE ALL WEARING STRANGE DEVICES ON THEIR HEADS; THESE LOOK STRANGELY SIMILAR TO SCOUTERS; THEY QUICKLY OVERRUN ZORN’S FORCES BY FOCUSING CONCENTRATED FIRE ON INDIVIDUAL SAIYANS UNTIL THEY DIE AND THEN MOVING TO THE NEXT SAIYAN>
Zorn: Retreat! Hurry!
<ZORN IS SHOWN LEADING HIS REMAINING FORCES AWAY FROM THE RIVER, THROUGH TUFFLE FIRE; LAYEECK COVERS ZORN WHILE CYLERIA BRUTALLY MURDERS ANY TUFFLES WHO GET TOO CLOSE WITH NECK SNAPS AND PUNCHES TO THE FACE>
<ONCE THE SAIYANS ARE GONE, THE TUFFLES START TO CELEBRATE; VIROS IS SEEN AMONGST THESE TUFFLES, RAISING HIS RIFLE INTO THE AIR AND LOOKING QUITE PLEASED WITH HIMSELF>
<CUTS TO PARAGUS’ ARMY>
<THEY ARE ALL FLYING OVER A DESERT AREA; SOON, TUFFLE FIGHTER JETS AND FLYING MECHS INTERCEPT THEM AND A FIGHT BREAKS OUT IN THE AIR; THE TUFFLES ARE SEVERELY OUTCLASSED IN THIS BATTLE, AS THEIR JETS ARE NOT AS MANEUVERABLE AS THE SAIYANS; THE SAIYANS EASILY DODGE THE TUFFLE ATTACKS AND THEN RETALIATE WITH THEIR OWN ENERGY SHOTS; TUFFLE PLANES EXPLODE IN THE AIR, SENDING FIRE AND SHRAPNEL ALL OVER THE PLACE; PARAGUS SHOOTS THROUGH FIERY EXPLOSIONS TO INTERCEPT A LOW-FLYING MECH>
<THE MECH PUSHES PARAGUS OFF OF IT, THROWING HIM INTO A TUFFLE JET THAT IMMEDIATELY EXPLODES; PARAGUS SEEMS UNINJURED BY THIS, AS HE COMES SHOOTING OUT OF THE FIRE AND SMOKE AT ONCE; HE SHOOTS A RED BEAM ATTACK AT THE MECH’S FACE, WHICH BRIEFLY STUNS IT; THEN, HE RAMS ITS BODY WITH HIS OWN; PARAGUS HITS THE THING WITH SUCH FORCE THAT HE GOES RIGHT THROUGH ITS ARMORED SHELL AND COMES SHOOTING OUT THE OTHER SIDE; THE MECH DOESN’T SEEM TO MIND AND SPINS AROUND, HURLING RAPID FIRE ENERGY BLASTS AT THE SMALL SAIYAN; PARAGUS FACES THE MECH JUST IN TIME TO SEE IT KILL FOUR OTHER SAIYANS FLYING NEARBY; HE GROWLS IN ANGER AND THEN CHARGES THE THING, DODGING ITS ATTACKS AND HITTING ITS FACE WITH A FLYING KICK; THE ATTACK SHATTERS THE MECH’S HEAD AND MAKES IT FALL BACK; PARAGUS LOOKS DOWN AT THE FALLING THING, AND WITHOUT A SMILE, THROWS A HUGE ENERGY BALL AFTER IT; THE MECH IS INSTANTLY VAPORIZED>
<PARAGUS LOOKS UP AND SEES HIS SAIYANS EASILY HANDLING THE TUFFLE AIR FORCE; HE CONJURES UP HIS AURA AROUND HIM AND THEN AIR DASHES OFF TO HELP THEM FINISH OFF THE TUFFLES>
<CUTS TO NAPPA’S ARMY>
<IT IS NIGHT; IT IS SNOWING, THOUGH THE SKIES ARE PRETTY CLEAR>
<NAPPA IS STANDING AT THE HEAD OF HIS ARMY, SURVEYING A GROUP OF TUFFLES OPPOSITE OF THEM; THEIR ARMY IS SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER THAN NAPPA’S>
Saiyan 3: This will be our death, Nappa! Their army outnumbers us five to one!
Nappa: Heh, then it’s an even fight! <HE TURNS AROUND AND LOOKS AT HIS ARMY> Who wants to kill some Tuffles? <THEIR BLOODTHIRSTY SHOUTS ARE DEAFENING> Heheh! Well then, follow me!
<NAPPA CHARGES AT THE TUFFLES; HIS ARMY COMES WITH HIM; AS THEY REACH THE TUFFLES, THE TUFFLES PUT UP THEIR SHIELDS AND UNLEASH SALVOS OF HEAVY ENERGY; SAIYANS START DROPPING LIKE FLIES>
Tuffle Army: <IN UNISON> For Vitandi! Vitandi! Vitandi! Vitandi!
<NAPPA SLAMS INTO THE VANGUARD, PUNCHING AND KICKING HIS WAY THROUGH THEM UNTIL HE IS UTTERLY SURROUNDED; HE UNLEASHES SEVERAL EXPLOSIVE WAVES TO PUSH THE TUFFLES BACK, BUT THERE ARE SO MANY THAT AS SOON AS A HOST IS VAPORIZED, A NEW GROUP TAKES THEIR PLACE; THEY CONCENTRATE FIRE ON NAPPA, WHO STARTS HOWLING IN PAIN AS THE ATTACKS REACH HIM; SOON, HE IS COVERED IN CUTS AND BRUISES>
<AROUND NAPPA, HIS SOLDIERS ARE HAVING TROUBLE TAKING ON THE MULTITUDE OF TUFFLES; THE CAMERA PANS BACK A BIT AND SHOWS JUST HOW SMALL HIS FORCE IS COMPARED TO THE TUFFLES’; THE SAIYANS ARE SOON SURROUNDED ON ALL SIDES; WITH THE HUGE NUMERICAL ADVANTAGE, THE TUFFLES PUSH FORWARD AND START TO WIPE THEM OUT>
<NAPPA LOOKS AROUND HIM AND SEES ALL OF THE SAIYANS FALLING, INCLUDING THE POOR SAIYAN WHO HAD WARNED NAPPA AGAINST STARTING THIS BATTLE; NAPPA IS HIT IN THE FACE WITH AN ENERGY BLAST, WHICH ANGERS HIM IMMENSELY; HE SCREAMS, THEN RAISES THE INDEX AND MIDDLE FINGERS OF HIS RIGHT HAND; SUDDENLY, A WHITE EXPLOSION ERUPTS OVER MUCH OF THE BATTLEFIELD; TUFFLES ARE INCINERATED BY THE HUNDREDS; THEY BEGIN TO SCREAM, BUT DIE BEFORE THEY ARE ABLE TO LET OUT MUCH SOUND; THE EXPLOSION IS SO MASSIVE THAT IT SHOOTS OFF INTO SPACE AS A HUGE PILLAR OF FLAMES; A MASSIVE CRATER FORMS, WHERE THE SAIYANS AND THE REMAINING TUFFLES CONTINUE TO BATTLE; WHEN THE DUST CLEARS, NAPPA LOOKS AROUND AND SEES THAT WHILE MANY TUFFLES WERE KILLED, MANY STILL LIVE; THOSE OUTSIDE OF THE BLAST RADIUS RUN FORWARD TO ATTACK HIM; NAPPA FROWNS AND LEANS FORWARD, PANTING FOR A MOMENT; THEN, HE STANDS UP AND SHOUTS>
Nappa: To the air! Retreat! Come on!
<NAPPA FLIES UP INTO THE AIR; HIS REMAINING FORCES JOIN HIM AND THEY FLY OFF AS FAST AS THEY CAN; THE TUFFLES SHOOT AT THEM, BUT NO SAIYANS ARE HIT AS THEY FLY OFF>
<CUTS TO DOGOM’S ARMY>
<LIKE BEFORE, DOGOM’S GROUP IS SEEN TRYING TO INVADE A TUFFLE CITY BY HIDING IN CARTS; AUBERE, OCRA, AND OTHER SMALLER FEMALE SAIYANS ARE SEEN WEARING TUFFLE ARMOR AND LEADING THE CARTS UP TO THE GATES OF A CITY>
<THE GUARDS ARE WEARING SCOUTERS AND ARE NOT FOOLED; AS SOON AS OCRA REACHES THE GATES, A LARGE FORCE SPRINGS UP FROM BEHIND THE WALLS AND STARTS FIRING; THE GATE GUARDS ALSO BEGIN FIRING; OCRA, AUBERE, AND THE OTHER IMPOSTERS TAKE OUT THE GATE GUARDS WITH SEVERAL BEAM ATTACKS, BUT ARE FORCED TO RETREAT FROM THOSE WHO ARE SHOOTING FROM THE CITY WALLS; DOGOM AND THE OTHERS HIDING IN THE CARTS JUMP OUT AND RETREAT WITH THE OTHERS; THOUGH THESE SAIYANS TAKE NO CASUALTIES, THEIR TRICK HAS BEEN FOILED, AND THEY ARE UNABLE TO TAKE OUT ANY MORE TUFFLE CITIES, NOW THAT THE TUFFLES HAVE DEVELOPED AND BEGUN USING SCOUTERS>
<CUTS TO VEGETA’S ARMY>
<VEGETA’S FORCE IS ENGAGED WITH A TUFFLE ARMY; THEY ARE FIGHTING IN A ROCKY AREA AT THE BASE OF A MOUNTAIN; VEGETA LOOKS OLDER THAN HE DID IN HIS LAST SCENE; VEGETA RAISES HIS FIST AND THEN LEADS HIS TROOPS AGAINST THE ENTRENCHED TUFFLE FORCE; THEY BREAK THROUGH THE SHIELD LINES AND THEN MASSACRE THE SOLDIERS WITH ENERGY AND PHYSICAL ATTACKS; VEGETA MOVES THROUGH THE TUFFLES UNTIL HE COMES TO THEIR COMMANDER; VEGETA BRIEFLY ENGAGES THE TUFFLE IN HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT, BUT, EVEN WITH ARMOR BOOSTERS, THE TUFFLE IS NO MATCH FOR THE KING; VEGETA GRABS THE TUFFLE BY THE HAIR, THEN SLAMS HIM TO THE GROUND, BEATING HIS FACE AGAINST A ROCK OVER AND OVER AGAIN UNTIL BLOOD SPRAY COVERS VEGETA’S ENTIRE FRONTSIDE>
Saiyan 4: King Vegeta! Quick!
<VEGETA LOOKS UP AND SEES ANOTHER TUFFLE FORCE DESCENDING ON THEM FROM AN ELEVATED PATH; THEY ARE ALL WEARING SCOUTERS; AMANITO IS LEADING THIS GROUP; VEGETA STANDS UP AND WALKS FORWARD; AMANITO’S FORCE OF A FEW HUNDRED TUFFLES OUTNUMBERS VEGETA’S FORCE ONLY BY A SMALL MARGIN>
Vegeta: What do you want, Tuffle?
Amanito: I want you to come with me to my city, so we can discuss how to end this war.
Vegeta: You’re a fool if you think I’ll go anywhere with you. You just want to get me alone so you can kill me.
Amanito: <SLIGHTLY DESPERATE> We can have peace! Too many have died over nothing! Let us negotiate new boundaries for our species’ territories, and then we can–
Vegeta: No. <DETERMINED; TUFFLE BLOOD DRIPPING FROM HIS FACE> This war won’t be over until every one of you maggots is dead. Then we will have our peace.
Amanito: You are making a mistake! The Tuffles are winning this war! We will have your head if you don’t do this!
Vegeta: Come and get it.
<VEGETA CREATES A PURPLE ENERGY BEAM IN HIS HAND, THEN SHOOTS IT AT AMANITO; THE BLAST GRAZES AMANITO ON THE RIGHT CHEEK; THE TUFFLE GENERAL SCREAMS AND FALLS BACK AS FLESH AND BLOOD FLIES THROUGH THE AIR; THE TUFFLES FORM A PROTECTIVE GUARD AROUND AMANITO AND THEN RETREAT, FIRING THEIR BLASTERS ONLY DEFENSIVELY>
Saiyan 5: <RUNNING UP TO VEGETA AS VEGETA IS PREPARING TO CHASE AFTER AMANITO> Sire, the scouts report that the Tuffles have a large army waiting for you on the other side of this mountain.
Vegeta: <STOPS RUNNING AFTER AMANITO’S FORCE, THOUGH HE CONTINUES WATCHING THEM RETREAT> It doesn’t surprise me. That fool of a Tuffle wanted me to go with him and end the war. Bah, he would have tried to kill me. That’s the only way he knows how to end this. He’s a fool. He underestimates our resolve. He doesn’t understand what we Saiyans are capable of!
Saiyan 5: Sire, shall we retreat? The Tuffles may be moving on us right now. We don’t have enough warriors here to stand up to them.
Vegeta: <NODS> Sound the retreat. The rats will not kill me this day. <HE CHUCKLES; TO HIMSELF> I am not so easily destroyed.
- This chapter was originally named "That's No Moon" by me. By the time we actually got around to this chapter, the pacing had changed from our original design. No longer were the Saiyans going to learn about the moon(s) this early in the story, so I renamed the chapter. HZ and I planned on making this chapter a group of montage scenes highlighting much of the war, so that is where the name comes from. "10 Years' War" is also a reference to the Halo 2 chapter "100,000 Year's War".
- Amanito's opening line is a nod to Mark Antony's famous line "Friends, Romans, countrymen..." in the play Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare.
- The opening scene shows how Amanito has lied about the councilors' deaths to gain the support of the public as the unquestioned leader of the Tuffles. Additionally, Amanito's false claim that Saiyans killed the councilors helps the crowd support Amanito's war.
- All of the Saiyans offer Vegeta advice based on their own experiences and personalities.
- Since Vegeta's forces have been together so far, it was important for me to split them up in this chapter. I wanted to show the Saiyan-Tuffle war as a truly global conflict. By having the named Saiyans lead smaller armies across the surface of Planet Vegeta, the war could be stretched out. Vegeta's strategic reason for doing this also makes a lot of sense, so this is a natural plot progression. It was completely necessary to do this before the montages begin.
- We did montages in this chapter because showing 10 years of war would otherwise take hundreds of chapters. We focused in on specific important events of the Saiyan-Tuffle War in chapters and then gave the broad overview of the rest of the war in this chapter's montages. Even so, most of the events shown in the montages are the "highlights" or most critical moments of the 10 year war.
- Nappa kills Vitandi the same way Talion kills branded Uruks in Shadow of Mordor.
- If you notice, I tried to vary the scenery as much as possible in the montage scenes.
- Kusa and Vegeta sparring hints at their relationship advancing. Saiyans are, after all, a warrior race. So I thought couples would seek intimacy through sparring, which is quite different from how humans go about that.
- The explosions going off from outer space scene was a scene I had in my mind since before we began writing this story. I also use a similar scene when the Saiyans turn into Great Apes.
- The quick montage at the end, before we get to specific scenes, shows a variety of interesting things. For one, it shows both Chaiva and Cuber being born, which was important for me to put in the story. HZ didn't actually put that in. Second, I also showed exactly when Vegeta began to develop his goatee (a crucial plot point), and him kissing Kusa is a very overt clue about their relationship. However, then showing Cyleria and Layeeck sparring shows them in a similar situation as Vegeta and Kusa. It shows where their relationship can (and ultimately does) end up.
- The whole chapter couldn't be an extended montage, so after we wrote quite a bit of montage scenes, we decided to show a scene or so from each sub-army's perspective to give a clearer idea of how they fare during those 10 years. I had several of the armies lose their battles and several win to not give any indication that the Saiyans were winning or losing the war. The war was just continuing, with no end in sight. There is desperation and weariness in that notion, which was a huge theme in this chapter.
- HZ wrote Dogom's army's scene. This scene was alluded to at the end of the last chapter. It shows the Saiyans using intelligence and deception to sneak into a Tuffle city and destroy it. This is significant because up to this point, Saiyans had been unable to get into any of the Tuffle cities and destroy them, which was a huge obstacle preventing them from winning the war.
- We get the first overt mention of scouters in this chapter. The Tuffles supposedly were the makers of the first scouter-like devices, so I wanted to make sure we mentioned that in the story. Since there's later a scene with Gichamu taking the Tuffle scouters back to the Planet Trade Organization, it was necessary to mention them here.
- I introduced the idea of Tuffle fighter jets because it made sense and because it would allow for new kinds of combat. Since the Tuffles had advanced technology, it makes sense that they would have things like mechs and tanks and fighter jets. And having more aerial combat against the Tuffles (since the Saiyans could fly) was something that interested me.
- Nappa saying "it's an even fight" is a reference to this.
- Nappa sounding a retreat is rather ironic, considering his earlier actions when Vegeta did just that. But it also shows how war and reality change things. Nappa gets some subtle but important character development in this chapter.
- Dogom's group gets a second scene only to show how their first trick doesn't work again. It explains why the Saiyans didn't take over all of the Tuffle cities - sneaking into the cities disguised as Tuffles only works once. That simple fact helps explain why the war goes on for so long as well.
- Amanito is clearly lying when he offers a peace treaty to Vegeta. Amanito has been shown to be a liar in his previous scenes, so he is not to be trusted. Clearly, he would have tried to assassinate Vegeta after bringing the Saiyan king into one of the cities, which would have ended the war. Amanito is desperate to end the war, but not in any other way than the total annihilation of the Saiyans.
- As it turns out, Amanito is even more impatient than it would appear - he had an army waiting on the other side of the mountain ready to take out Vegeta. I'm sure he would send the army after Vegeta after the Saiyan hit Amanito with that blast, but Vegeta wisely retreated before he could be overrun.
8. Why so Green and Lonely?
<THERE IS A TENT ON THE END OF A MOUNTAIN PASS OVERLOOKING A TUFFLE CITY BELOW; DOGOM, AUBERE, ARTACHOC, AND OCRA ARE LOOKING DOWN ON THE CITY; AROUND A DOZEN GUARDS ARE WITH THEM>
<FROM BEHIND, AN ENTOURAGE OF SAIYANS COMES; THE FOUR NAMED SAIYANS TURN AROUND WITH THE CAMERA TO GREET THEM; AT THE HEAD OF THIS NEW FORCE IS VEGETA; LASCON IS AT HIS SIDE; A FEW DOZEN GUARDS ARE WITH THEM>
Dogom: <BOWS> My king.
Vegeta: So what do you need my help with, Dogom?
Dogom: <POINTS TO THE CITY BELOW; SOME SAIYANS BELOW ARE SHOOTING ENERGY BEAMS AT IT, BUT BEFORE THEIR ATTACKS CAN REACH THE CITY, THEY ARE ABSORBED BY A GREAT BLUE ENERGY BUBBLE> That. The Tuffles have an energy shield around this city. We can’t get through.
Lascon: So what? All of the Tuffle cities have shield generators now. It’s been like that for the past few years…
Artachoc: Yeah, but one of their commanders is in there. And she doesn’t have an army anymore. We destroyed them last night. <HE GESTURES TO THE FLATLANDS IN FRONT OF THE CITY; TUFFLE BODIES ARE STREWN EVERYWHERE; DOGOM’S ARMY IS NOW SEEN IN FULL – MANY THOUSANDS OF SAIYANS STANDING ON THE DEAD BODIES OF THE TUFFLES, SHOOTING ENERGY ATTACKS AT THE CITY> We have to move now, milord. The Tuffles will try to save her.
Vegeta: I see. I can bring my army up to the other side of the city. With concentrated fire, we should be able to destroy that shield, right?
Dogom: I don’t know, Vegeta. We’ve never destroyed one of their shields before. I thought maybe we could find where they are getting their power from – an outlying town or power plant – and destroy that. Then their shields will be put offline and we can storm the city.
Lascon: We can find the power plant faster if our forces split up into smaller groups.
Vegeta: Yes. Dogom, take a force north. Artachoc, go south. I’ll take the eastern road, and Lascon will take the west. If we move now, the Tuffles won’t be able to rescue their commander in time. Let’s go–
<AS VEGETA IS SPEAKING, AN EXPLOSION GOES OFF; SMOKE COVERS THE SCREEN AS ENERGY BLASTS START TO FLY; A TUFFLE FORCE JUMPS DOWN FROM THE ROCKS ABOVE ON EITHER SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN PASS; THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF THEM; THE SAIYANS HAVE LITTLE TIME TO REACT BEFORE THE TUFFLES ARE ON THEM; MANY OF THE GUARDS ARE INCINERATED BY ENERGY SHOTS; VEGETA AND THE OTHER NAMED SAIYANS FALL INTO FIGHTING STANCES>
Lascon: Form a protective circle around the king! He must not fall!
<THE REMAINING GUARDS AND NAMED SAIYANS FALL BACK TO VEGETA’S POSITION; THEN, THE TUFFLES CHARGE THEM AND THEY UNLEASH ENERGY ATTACKS BACK; DOZENS OF TUFFLES ARE KILLED AND SEVERAL SAIYANS DROP; AUBERE TAKES A BLAST TO HER NECK AND FALLS BACK; DOGOM CATCHES HER AND FLIES HER OUT OF THE COMBAT ZONE>
Aubere: <HOLDING ON TO HER WOUNDED NECK> What are you doing? Vegeta needs you.
Dogom: <RELEASING AUBERE BEHIND A HILL WHERE SHE WOULD OUT OF SIGHT> I’m not leaving them.
<MEANWHILE, THE TUFFLES SEND ANOTHER WAVE OF SOLDIERS; THIS WAVE HAS A MECH; THE SOLDIERS MOVE FORWARD AND ENGAGE THE SAIYANS IN CLOSE QUARTERS COMBAT AS THE MECH SHOOTS A HUGE ENERGY CANNON AT VEGETA’S POSITION; DISTRACTED BY FIGHTING TUFFLES, VEGETA DOESN’T SEE THE ATTACK>
<JUST BEFORE THE ATTACK REACHES VEGETA, LASCON SEES IT AND RUNS IN FRONT OF THE BLAST; IT HITS HIM SQUARE IN THE CHEST AND THEN EXPLODES IN A GREAT WHITE LIGHT; WHEN THE LIGHT FADES, LASCON IS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN>
Vegeta: <REALIZING WHAT JUST HAPPENED> No!! <HE KICKS HIS WAY PAST THE TUFFLES AND RUNS AT THE MECH> You’ll pay for that, Tuffle dog!
<EVERYONE ELSE STOPS FOR A MOMENT AS THEY LOOK AT WHERE LASCON LAST WAS; ARTACHOC YELLS IN ANGER; THEN, THEY RETURN TO FIGHTING, NOW EVEN MORE FIERCELY THAN BEFORE>
<ARTACHOC CHARGES STRAIGHT AT THE MECH, NOT CARING THAT THERE ARE DOZENS OF TUFFLES ARE BETWEEN HIM AND HIS TARGET>
Ocra: Artachoc! Don’t–
<OCRA IS CUT OFF BY THE SOUND OF GUNFIRE, ALL AIMED AT ARTACHOC; MOST OF THE SHOTS MISS THE SAIYAN, BUT THOSE THAT HIT HIM EITHER LEAVE A GRAZING SCRATCH OR A BLOODY HOLE; ARTACHOC BARELY FLINCHES AS HE CLOSES IN ON THE MECH WITH AN ENERGY SPHERE CHARGING IN HIS HANDS; OCRA FLIES AFTER ARTACHOC WHILE FIRING ENERGY BLASTS AT THE TUFFLE INFANTRY, BUT IS UNABLE TO CATCH UP IN TIME; THE MECH LOOKS UP, SEES ITS ATTACKER, AND THEN FIRES ANOTHER BEAM BEFORE THE SAIYAN CAN LAUNCH HIS OWN ATTACK>
<JUST AS THE BLAST DETONATES ON ITS TARGET, ARTACHOC’S ENERGY SPHERE TRAVELS OUT OF THE SMOKE, HOVERING JUST BELOW THE BEAM, AND THEN CONNECTS WITH WHAT WOULD BE THE MECH’S ABDOMEN, CREATING A SECOND EXPLOSION AND DEALING NOTICEABLE DAMAGE; BLOODIED FROM ABSORBING THE PUNISHMENT OF MULTIPLE TUFFLE WEAPONS, ARTACHOC USES THE LAST OF HIS STRENGTH AND MOMENTUM TO RAM HIS SHOULDER INTO THE MECH’S COCKPIT, CAVING IT IN; EXHAUSTED, ARTACHOC BOUNCES OFF THE SURFACE OF THE MECH AND FALLS TO THE GROUND>
<SOON AFTER, THE EJECTION POD OF THE MECH IS RELEASED; BEFORE IT CAN FLY INTO THE DISTANCE, OCRA CATCHES A QUICK GLIMPSE OF THE PILOT’S FACE, WHICH BELONGED TO VIROS AND IS BLOODY FROM HAVING HIS FACEPLATE SHATTERED; THE MOMENT VIROS IS OUT OF SIGHT, NEARBY TUFFLE INFANTRY BEGINS FIRING UPON ARTACHOC’S FALLEN BODY>
Ocra: <FIRING ENERGY SPHERES AT THE TUFFLES> Get away from him!
<THE TUFFLES IMMEDIATELY TURN THEIR ATTENTION TO OCRA, WHO CHARGES AT THEM, DODGING MOST OF THEIR SHOTS; SHE ENGAGES THEM IN CLOSE QUARTERS, KILLING EACH TUFFLE WITH A MELEE STRIKE; HOWEVER, IT IS EVIDENT THAT SHE IS FALTERING AND HAS BEEN SEPARATED FROM MOST OF THE OTHER SAIYANS; WHEN OCRA IS NO LONGER ABLE TO ADEQUATELY COVER HER OWN BACK, THE TUFFLES BEHIND HER SEEMINGLY DIE OUT OF NOWHERE>
Dogom: <KICKS SEVERAL MORE TUFFLES> What are you doing?!
Ocra: <ANGRILY; KICKING AND PUNCHING MORE SURROUNDING TUFFLES> What does it look like I’m doing?!
Dogom: You’re getting yourself killed. You need to keep it together. <KILLS MORE TUFFLES IN CLOSE QUARTERS> We need to regroup. I’ll cover you.
<OCRA SILENTLY OBEYS DOGOM’S ORDER, AND THE TWO RETREAT FROM THE COLLECTION OF TUFFLES THEY WERE ORIGINALLY FIGHTING, KILLING ONLY THOSE WHO POSE A MEANINGFUL THREAT>
<THEY RETURN TO THE GROUP OF SAIYANS; THE GROUP CONTINUES TO FIGHT OFF THE TUFFLES UNTIL ONLY OCRA, DOGOM, AND VEGETA ARE LEFT>
Vegeta: <CROUCHING BEHIND FALLEN BODIES OF SAIYANS AND TUFFLES> We have to get out of here!
Dogom: <NODS> We’ll cover you, milord.
<DOGOM AND OCRA DIRECT ENERGY ATTACKS AGAINST THE TUFFLES AS VEGETA LEAVES COVER AND STARTS TO RUN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION; AS HE RUNS, HE IS HIT BY A BULLET ON THE UPPER CHEST; THIS BULLET IS NOT LIKE THE ENERGY ATTACKS MOST TUFFLES USE; IT KNOCKS THE WIND OUT OF VEGETA, CAUSING HIM TO STOP; HE LOOKS DOWN, CONFUSED, AND TRIES TO PULL THE BULLET OUT OF HIS CHEST WHEN IT SUDDENLY EXPLODES IN A BURST OF ELECTRICITY; THIS ELECTRICITY WASHES OVER THE KING’S ENTIRE BODY, CAUSING HIM TO FALL TO HIS KNEES; SOON, MORE BULLETS HIT HIM AND EXPLODE INTO ELECTRICITY AS WELL; DOGOM AND OCRA NOTICE WHAT IS HAPPENING AND ABANDON THEIR COVERING FIRE TO RUN OVER TO VEGETA>
Vegeta: <ON HIS KNEES; TURNS HIS HEAD TO SEE DOGOM RUNNING TOWARDS HIM> N-no! Run! Dogom, get out of here!
<FROM IN FRONT OF VEGETA, ANOTHER TUFFLE FORCE EMERGES; THIS IS A SMALLER GUARD; THEY ARE MUCH MORE HEAVILY ARMORED THAN THE REGULAR TUFFLES BEHIND; AT THEIR HEAD IS AMANITO, WHO IS NOT WEARING A HELMET>
Amanito: We’ve finally got you. <HE SMILES> At last, this war will come to an end.
<MORE BULLETS HIT VEGETA, CAUSING HIM TO SCREAM OUT IN PAIN AND FALL OVER; HE WATCHES AS DOGOM AND OCRA TAKE TO THE AIR AND BARELY DODGE THE TUFFLE FIRE TO ESCAPE; THEN, HE LOOKS UP AND SEES AMANITO COME INTO VIEW; THE TUFFLE PUNCHES VEGETA IN THE FACE WITH HIS LEFT FIST AND VEGETA’S VISION GOES DARK>
<CUTS TO ZORN’S ARMY>
<ZORN’S FORCES ARE FIGHTING AGAINST A LARGER TUFFLE FORCE IN A SAIYAN CAMP; TENTS ARE ON FIRE AND PALISADE WALLS ARE IN RUINS; BODIES ARE EVERYWHERE; ZORN CAN BE SEEN AT THE FRONT OF HIS ARMY, DIRECTING TROOPS; LAYEECK IS NEARBY, SHOOTING BEAM ATTACKS ON ONE KNEE; CYLERIA IS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN>
<SOLITARN IS LEADING THE TUFFLE ARMY; HIS FACE HAS MORE SCARS THAN THE LAST TIME HE WAS SEEN; HE LEADS HIS TROOPS UP TO THE SAIYAN LINE AT THE EDGE OF THE CAMP, DUEL WIELDING ENERGY GUNS; HE VAPORIZES ANY SAIYANS WHO ATTACK HIM, THEN MAKES HIS WAY TO ZORN AND LAYEECK>
<LAYEECK NOTICES SOLITARN AND STARTS SHOOTING ENERGY BURSTS AT THE TUFFLE; SOLITARN DODGES OUT OF THE WAY; THEN, LAYEECK LOSES SOLITARN’S POSITION AS TUFFLE AND SAIYAN FORCES CONVERGE>
<ZORN RUNS FORWARD INTO THE MIDST OF THE BATTLE, MELEEING TUFFLES TO DEATH; LAYEECK JOINS HIM; SOLITARN USES HIS TWO GUNS TO BLOW THROUGH THE SAIYAN DEFENSES AS WELL; WITHIN A FEW MOMENTS, THE AREA IS CLEANSED OF TUFFLE AND SAIYAN INFANTRY; ONLY SOLITARN, ZORN, AND LAYEECK REMAIN>
Layeeck: <TO ZORN> Look at his armor. He’s a commander. We need to kill him!
<ZORN NODS; THE TWO FALL INTO OFFENSIVE STANCES>
Solitarn: <POINTING HIS PISTOLS AT THE TWO> You don’t scare me. I’ll put you both down.
<HE PRESSES A BUTTON ON HIS CHEST THAT BOOSTS HIS STRENGTH; A THIN BLUE ENERGY SHIELD LINES HIS BODY; ZORN AND LAYEECK CHARGE HIM; HE SHOOTS AT THEM BOTH, BUT THEY DODGE ALL OF THE ENERGY; RIGHT BEFORE THEY REACH SOLITARN, THE TUFFLE THROWS HIS PISTOLS AT THEM, ROLLS BACK, AND THEN CONJURES UP TWO ENERGY SWORDS FROM WRIST PORTS>
<ZORN AND LAYEECK ALSO CREATE KI SWORDS; THEY CHARGE SOLITARN, WHO FIGHTS THEM BOTH AT ONCE; ZORN TAKES THE RIGHT SIDE (SOLITARN’S LEFT) AND LAYEECK TAKES THE LEFT; THE TWO SAIYANS USE MOSTLY OFFENSIVE MOVES AS SOLITARN BLOCKS; THEY PUSH SOLITARN BACK AND EACH GIVES THE TUFFLE A FEW SHALLOW CUTS ACROSS HIS BODY; HE RETURNS THE FAVOR TO EACH OF THEM SEVERAL TIMES; ZORN USES A SONIC BLAST TO KNOCK SOLITARN BACK, THEN HE CHARGES THE TUFFLE AND TRIES TO DECAPITATE HIM, BUT SOLITARN BLOCKS WITH BOTH SWORDS AND THROWS ZORN AWAY; LAYEECK RUNS UP AND ENGAGES IN A BRIEF BLOW EXCHANGE WITH THE TUFFLE, TWO SWORDS ON ONE, THOUGH HE IS UNABLE TO GET THROUGH SOLITARN’S DEFENSES; ZORN REJOINS THE FIGHT, BUT EVEN WITH THE TWO-ON-ONE ADVANTAGE, THE SAIYANS ARE NOT ABLE TO BREAK THROUGH SOLITARN’S DEFENSE>
<WHEN THE SAIYANS START TO TIRE, SOLITARN SEES AN OPENING; HE DODGES A PARTICULARLY SLOW JAB FROM ZORN, AND THEN TRIPS HIM; HE THEN FOCUSES ON LAYEECK, USING BOTH OF HIS BLADES TO TRY TO CUT THE SAIYAN TO PIECES>
<LAYEECK DODGES AND BLOCKS MANY OF THE ATTACKS; HE IS CUT ON HIS LEG, CAUSING HIM TO FALL; SOLITARN PLUNGES HIS LEFT BLADE FORWARD, BUT LAYEECK DODGES IT, AND THE ENERGY SWORD GOES INTO THE DIRT; LAYEECK THEN SWIPES AT SOLITARN’S RIGHT BLADE, BUT THE TUFFLE BLOCKS IT WITH SUCH FORCE THAT IT SHATTERS LAYEECK’S BLADE AND THROWS HIM BACK; BEFORE LAYEECK CAN RUN OR CREATE ANOTHER BLADE, SOLITARN IS ON HIM AGAIN>
<JUST BEFORE HE KILLS THE SAIYAN, HOWEVER, AN ENERGY ATTACK HITS SOLITARN FROM BEHIND AND SENDS HIM TO THE GROUND; HE GROANS IN PAIN AS THE ATTACK HAS MELTED MUCH OF HIS ARMOR; HIS POWER BOOSTER MALFUNCTIONS, CAUSING HIS ENERGY SWORDS TO DISSIPATE; HE TRIES TO STAND UP, BUT THE ATTACKER RUNS UP TO HIM AND USES A FLYING KICK TO SEND HIM BACK TO THE GROUND; THE ATTACKER REVEALS HERSELF TO BE CYLERIA; CYLERIA THEN PREPARES TO KILL SOLITARN WHEN HE ROLLS OVER AND KNOCKS HER AWAY; HE TAKES A GRENADE OFF HIS BELT AND THROWS IT AT HER; CYLERIA IS FORCED TO DODGE THE ATTACK, ALLOWING SOLITARN TO RUN OFF; HOWEVER, BEFORE HE CAN GET TOO FAR, ZORN TELEPORTS IN FRONT OF THE TUFFLE AND STUNS HIM WITH A BRUTAL PUNCH TO THE GUT>
Zorn: Why are you running? I thought you weren’t scared of us.
<SOLITARN YELLS IN FRUSTRATION AND RAISES HIS FIST; ZORN CATCHES THE PUNCH AND SNAPS THE TUFFLE’S ARM; SOLITARN SCREAMS; THEN, ZORN CONJURES UP A SMALL ENERGY DAGGER AND STABS IT THROUGH THE SIDE OF SOLITARN’S HEAD; HE RIPS THE DAGGER BACK OUT AND LETS THE DEAD COMMANDER FALL TO THE TURF; ZORN LOOKS BACK AT THE TUFFLE HORDES STILL FIGHTING HIS SAIYANS; THE SAIYANS ARE OUTNUMBERED AND ARE LOSING>
Zorn: This battle is over. Sound the retreat, Layeeck.
<LAYEECK LIMPS OVER TO ZORN WITH THE HELP OF CYLERIA; BEFORE HE CAN SAY ANYTHING, A SAIYAN COMES RUNNING AT THEM, NOT FROM AHEAD, WHERE THE BATTLE IS TAKING PLACE, BUT FROM BEHIND>
Saiyan 6: Zorn! Zorn!
Zorn: What is it?
Saiyan 6: <BREATHLESS; HE STOPS JUST IN FRONT OF ZORN AND THE OTHERS> It’s King Vegeta, sir! He’s been captured.
<ZORN AND LAYEECK BOTH LOOK SHOCKED; CYLERIA’S EXPRESSION DOESN’T CHANGE AT ALL; THE SCREEN PANS BACK AND SHOWS THE TUFFLES AND SAIYANS FIGHTING OVER LARGE AREA>
Layeeck: <VOICE-OVER> Retreat! Retreat!
<OTHER VOICES TAKE UP THE CRY AND SLOWLY BUT SURELY, THE SAIYAN ARMY STARTS TO RETREAT AWAY FROM THE TUFFLES>
<CUTS TO AMANITO’S COMMAND CENTER>
<VEGETA IS CHAINED TO A WALL WITH ENERGY BINDINGS; HIS HANDS ARE TIED ABOVE HIS HEAD AND HIS FEET ARE SPREAD APART AS WELL; HE HAS A MOUTH GUARD ON TO PREVENT HIM FROM USING MOUTH ENERGY ATTACKS; HIS EYES ARE ALSO COVERED IN A BLINDFOLD-LIKE DEVICE TO PREVENT HIM FROM USING EYE BEAMS, THOUGH HE CAN STILL SEE OUT OF IT; EVERY FEW SECONDS, THE ENERGY BINDINGS SHOCK VEGETA, CAUSING HIM IMMENSE PAIN>
Vegeta: <LEANING FORWARD; LOOKING UP AT THE TUFFLES AROUND HIM> Why haven’t you killed me yet?!
Amanito: <COMES WALKING OUT FROM THE LEFT SIDE; HE IS HOLDING HIS BLACKENED RIGHT HAND WITH HIS LEFT> Killing you does us no good. We need to end this war, not provoke your people further.
Vegeta: <PAINED VOICE> My people will never surrender!
Amanito: Oh, they will. Everyone tires of war eventually. Especially the losers.
Vegeta: You know nothing about us! We Saiyans never give up!
<AMANITO SMIRKS AND WALKS OFF; THE ELECTRICITY CONTINUES TO SHOCK VEGETA IN ORDER TO KEEP HIM AT A NON-THREATENING POWER LEVEL; AROUND VEGETA, NUMEROUS TUFFLE GUARDS LINE THE WALLS OR PATROL WHILE TUFFLE SCIENTISTS AND COMMANDERS ARE FOCUSED AROUND COMPUTERS; AMANITO WALKS OVER TO NIVALUS, EXITALIA, AND VIROS AS VEGETA WATCHES>
Nivalus: It’s no good, father. A Saiyan army took out the eastern power plants.
Amanito: <HORRIFIED> Have you re-routed the power?! My god, if the barriers go down even for a second…
Nivalus: Yes father. We are taking energy reserves from the two nearest cities. <HE POINTS TO NEARBY COMPUTER SCREEN, WHICH SHOWS PROJECTION BARRIERS AROUND TWO CELESTIAL BODIES> We’ve got the barriers are up and running. But the cities won’t have energy shielding until we find them new power.
Amanito: We can lose those cities if it means keeping the moons concealed. If the Saiyans transform… this war is lost. Keeping the moons hidden is our greatest priority.
Vegeta: <GETS SHOCKED AND BLINKS MANY TIMES TO STAY CONSCIOUS; IN HIS MIND> A-am I hearing things…? Did they just say… moon?!
Viros: They got Solitarn earlier today. But his army held the Saiyans at bay, even after he was killed. The beasts were forced to retreat.
Exitalia: But with Solitarn gone, I don’t know how long we can hold the western front.
Amanito: This is no good. We are losing all of our best tactical minds. I can promote senior officers to higher positions, but they aren’t experienced enough to do what Solitarn and Vitandi could. <MORE TO HIMSELF THAN TO THE OTHERS> Damn it all!
Viros: I can train new commanders, but it’ll take time.
Amanito: <SHAKES HIS HEAD> No, we need a solution now. We have their king. They’ll be desperate to get him back. We have to push forward. But without two of our best commanders, what hope do we have?
Exitalia: We could arrange a meeting… peace talks or something. Then, when all of the Saiyans leaders come to negotiate for their king, we kill them.
Amanito: That will just make them angrier. I do not want to have to suffer angry Saiyan hordes.
Viros: With all due respect General, Exitalia’s right. If we use their king to bait the remaining Saiyan leaders to us, we can kill them all. The Saiyans are worse off than us without leadership. They’re animals. Stupid beasts. With their leaders dead, they’ll crumble. They won’t know what to do. We will be able to exterminate the remainder of their armies easily.
Amanito: <SCRATCHING HIS NECK; TO HIMSELF> Animals… yes… <TO VIROS> How likely are the Saiyans to agree to a meeting?
Viros: <NODS TO VEGETA> If their king sends the message, how can they refuse?
<THE TUFFLE LEADERS AND NIVALUS WALK OVER TO VEGETA; HE SEEMS TO HAVE LOST CONSCIOUSNESS OR IS PRETENDING TO BE ASLEEP; AMANITO SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE, CAUSING HIM TO STIR>
Amanito: Vegeta. We need you to record us a message. Can you do that for us?
Vegeta: <SPITS IN AMANITO’S FACE> I’m not doing anything for you scum!
Amanito: <SHAKES HIS HEAD> Wrong answer. <HE SMIRKS> This would hurt a lot less if you weren’t such a stubborn fool. <HE WALKS OVER TO A PANEL ON THE WALL NEXT TO VEGETA AND CRANKS IT UP TO MAXIMUM POWER; LARGER ELECTRICITY BOLTS COVER VEGETA’S BODY FOR SEVERAL SECONDS; VEGETA SCREAMS OUT IN PAIN; WHEN THE ELECTRICITY STOPS, VEGETA SLUMPS FORWARD AND LOOKS TO BE BARELY ALIVE> Now, will you record us that message, or do I need to give you another shock?
<VEGETA LOOKS UP AT AMANITO WITH TIRED, RAGE-FILLED EYES AS THE SCREEN FADES TO BLACK>
<CUTS TO DOGOM AND OCRA, WHO LAND IN FRONT OF AUBERE; AUBERE IS COVERING HER WOUNDED NECK AND IS RESTING AGAINST A ROCK>
Aubere: <LOOKS UP> What happened? Where are the others?
Dogom: They’ve captured Vegeta.
Aubere: What? How?!
Dogom: You need to rest first. I will tell you everything after your wound is bandaged.
Aubere: <PAUSES FOR A SECOND, STILL SHOCKED ABOUT THE NEWS> Very well then.
<DOGOM LIFTS AUBERE AND PREPARES TO TAKE OFF, BUT SEES OCRA STANDING STILL; DOGOM GIVES HER A LOOK OF CONFUSION>
Ocra: It’s quiet. The Tuffles have left. I will not leave Artachoc to rot.
Dogom: Fine. Do what you will.
<OCRA RETURNS TO THE LOCATION OF THE BATTLEFIELD, NOW ABANDONED AND LITTERED WITH CORPSES OF BOTH SAIYANS AND TUFFLES; OCRA FLIES OVER TO WHERE ARTACHOC LIES>
Artachoc: You came back?
Ocra: I’m taking you home. <CROUCHES AND REACHES DOWN TO GRAB ARTACHOC>
Artachoc: <GRABS OCRA’S WRIST> No, I’m finished. I can barely move.
Ocra: <GRIMACING> Stop talking.
Arthachoc: If only I was stronger… we would’ve crushed the Tuffles by now. Vegeta wouldn’t be in their hands, and you wouldn’t see me like this… <PAUSES TO COLLECT WHAT’S LEFT OF HIS BREATH> Listen. I won’t be around to see Chaiva become a great warrior. Raise her well for me.
Ocra: I won’t fail you, Artachoc. I promise.
Artachoc: <GENTLY SHUTS HIS EYES> Send me out… with a bang.
<ARTACHOC STOPS MOVING; OCRA STANDS BACK UP, PUTS HER HANDS TOGETHER IN FRONT OF HER CHEST, AND THEN CHARGES A WHITE ENERGY SPHERE BETWEEN HER PALMS; AFTER A FEW SECONDS OF CHARGING, SHE THRUSTS BOTH OF HER PALMS DOWNWARDS TOWARDS ARTACHOC’S BODY AND FIRES A CONTINUOUS ENERGY BEAM; THE CAMERA CUTS TO OCRA’S FACE, SHOWING A SINGLE TEAR ROLLING DOWN HER CHEEK>
<CUTS BACK TO DOGOM>
<DOGOM IS PREPARING TO LEAVE WITH AUBERE WHEN LASCON COMES LIMPING OUT FROM BEHIND SOME ROCKS; HE IS HOLDING HIS SHOULDER AND HAS HIS LEFT EYE SHUT; LASCON’S FACE IS BLOODY AND HIS CHEEKS ARE CUT OPEN; HIS LEFT EAR IS GONE>
Lascon: <WALKING UP TO DOGOM, WHO DOESN’T NOTICE HIM AT FIRST> Dogom… where’s Vegeta?!
Dogom: <A BIT STARTLED, ESPECIALLY ONCE HE TURNS AROUND SEES HOW WOUNDED LASCON IS> The Tuffles took him. He’s alive. But there was nothing we could do…
Lascon: <KICKING THE GROUND> Damn it! Tuffle dogs must’ve been planning this for a while. They got us good. <HE SHAKES HIS HEAD> Well, how many soldiers do you have? We’ll need to move fast if we want to rescue the king.
<TO THEIR LEFT, OCRA COMES FLYING OVER; SHE LANDS, GLANCING OVER AT LASCON, BUT SHE DOES NOT SPEAK>
Dogom: <TALKING QUIETLY SO OCRA DOESN’T OVERHEAR HIM> Artachoc’s dead. Aubere’s wounded. A lot of my soldiers are dead. Ocra and I barely got out of there alive. We’re tired. We’re wounded. So are you. <HE GRIMACES> I don’t know how you’re still going, to be honest.
Lascon: Don’t worry about me. All I care about is bringing Vegeta back. It’s my duty.
Dogom: <SHAKES HIS HEAD> There’s no way we’re going tonight. You’ll get yourself killed if you go out there alone. Listen, get some rest. I’ll call reinforcements. In the morning, we’ll regroup and figure out a way to rescue Vegeta.
Lascon: <LOOKS LIKE HE IS ABOUT TO ARGUE, BUT THEN HE SIGHS> Hmph, you’re probably right. <NODS AND SITS DOWN ON A ROCK; HE FOLDS HIS ARMS AND LOOKS OVER AT OCRA; LASCON SIGHS> We’re all looking for revenge, Ocra. The Tuffles will pay for what they have done, I assure you.
<OCRA BITES HER LIP AND LOOKS AWAY FROM LASCON, TOWARDS ONE OF THE SUNS SETTING IN THE DISTANCE; HER FACE IS STILL, HER EYES TWO FLICKERING POOLS READY TO BURST; HER FINGERS CURL INTO HARD FISTS>
<THE CAMERA PANS BACK ON THE FOUR SAIYANS AND FADES OUT>
- This chapter was originally named "We Tarry Too Long" by Hyper Zergling. I updated the name to "Why So Green And Lonely?" 13 or so days before posting this chapter. The name is a reference to a lyric from the Radiohead song There There. I chose that lyric so as to reference King Vegeta's capture by the Tuffles; it also works as a reference to Amanito's and/or Ocra's position in this chapter.
- I don't remember exactly when HZ and I came up with the idea of having King Vegeta get captured by Amanito. I think it was sometime in the early planning of the story - as I distinctly remember us discussing how Vegeta could possibly learn about the moons (since the Tuffles are hiding them) while he's captured. This turned out to be the best way to do that for a variety of reasons. For one, it gives Amanito a much-needed victory over Vegeta, and also allows the two of them to get close to one another again to have some nice conversations/interactions. It was in the latter stages of planning this out though that we decided Artachoc should die when Vegeta gets captured. He was always supposed to die in the story, it was just a matter of finding a good place for it. He needed to live just long enough for Cuber to be born (which was a few years into the war), so once that was done, Artachoc was expendable, in HZ's opinion. I first suggested he die in this chapter when Vegeta is captured, and HZ eventually decided to do that.
- The Tuffle commander in the city is Exitalia; she is later hunted down by Dogom in the next chapter. This chapter establishes a bit of a rivalry between them.
- I think it makes complete sense to have Vegeta come visit Dogom's force. Considering Dogom's last few scenes have all been about trying to destroy Tuffle cities, it's natural for him to be in the position he is in. Additionally, Dogom's last scene in the previous chapter showed that he could no longer sneak into cities, so he would need a way to get past the city's shield system. Also, the fact that Dogom destroyed a Tuffle army and cornered Exitalia is probably the prime reason Vegeta and his group came to help.
- The majority of Dogom's and Vegeta's forces are not with them, obviously. It is only a small group of Saiyans that the Tuffles ambush. This was necessary for the Tuffles to win the battle and for Vegeta's side to not take too many casualties (as to make it impossible for them to win the war).
- I always found the Dogom/Aubere scene very weird. That Dogom can escape like that implies they all should be able to... If I were to revise any section of this story, that scene would probably be my #1 priority because it just doesn't work.
- Lascon absorbing the attack meant for Vegeta is a nod to Piccolo doing the same thing to protect Gohan in the Saiyan Saga of DBZ. It also implies Lascon is dead, though any reader of the first saga of The Forgotten would know he can't possibly die here.
- HZ did a good job with Artachoc's death scene. The only drawback is that Artachoc isn't a major character really, so his death has less impact because of that. I tried to give him some scenes in earlier chapters to build up to this (like in chapters 2 and 3), but he wasn't my character and I didn't focus on him. In hindsight, it would have been nice if HZ featured him a bit more, but it's still a good scene.
- Viros killing Artachoc sets the stage for his rivalry with Ocra in the next chapter.
- Amanito is only able to knock out Vegeta because of how weak the Saiyan king is.
- Amanito didn't kill Vegeta right then and there because he planned on using Vegeta as a trap. He was always planning on having the other Saiyan leaders come to negotiate for Vegeta's release - that would give him the advantage in any peace talks or surprise attacks. This wouldn't be possible without Vegeta living. If Amanito killed Vegeta in this chapter's first scene, the war would continue, and that is the last thing Amanito wants.
- I imagined Solitarn to be like Jango Fett from Star Wars in this chapter.
- I had the Zorn/Layeeck/Cyleria scene in this chapter for a few reasons. The most important reason for me was to have Layeeck be on the winning side of something important for once. He's been in a lot of losing battles in my attempt to make him a more realistic character, but now's the time to give him some wins. I didn't want him to kill Solitarn though, as I wanted most or all of the canon Saiyans to get kills (Ocra killing Viros was not originally planned and ultimately prevented Paragus from killing a named Tuffle, but more on that in the next chapter's endnotes). I chose Solitarn for this purpose since he was my favorite of the named Tuffle commanders.
- The energy boosters in Tuffle armor has been mentioned a few times before. It's mostly seen with the commanders. Basically, to us, it made sense that the Tuffles would possess such technology and it would also allow them to actually fight the Saiyans in hand-to-hand combat, which interested us greatly.
- The way Solitarn's energy shielding looks is a nod to the energy shields from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (and its sequel).
- I love energy sword fights. I've done several of them in my many fanons. I thought the Zorn and Layeeck vs Solitarn fight was pretty gritty, so bringing in the swords just added to that mood.
- Cyleria would have killed Solitarn if Zorn had not stepped in.
- The way Zorn kills Solitarn is a reference to a type of stealth dagger kill possible in the video game, Shadow of Mordor.
- The Tuffle power plants were mentioned at the start of the chapter. They give power to the cities so that the cities can have energy shielding. They also power a variety of other Tuffle stuff, including the devices that block out the moons from the sky. Some Saiyan force (it isn't said clearly which one) took out a large power plant that forced the Tuffles to re-route power from the cities to prevent the moons from getting un-blocked. Clearly, keeping the moons hidden is the #1 priority for the Tuffles, as by doing this, they left several of their cities without energy shield defenses.
- I'm particularly proud with how we revealed the moons. It was subtle and natural in terms of the dialogue. It came out naturally in the conversation. Neither Nivalus nor Amanito went out of their way to immediately say they were talking about the moons which made it more natural.
- Planet Vegeta has two moons, based on the anime. I thought this would be necessary for the Saiyans to go Great Ape across the entire planet as well, as if there was only one moon, only half(ish) of the planet would be hit by blutz waves. So there was no need for me to go against the anime and reduce the number of moons to one.
- The last Tuffle plot to end the war is revealed in this chapter - they plan on using Vegeta as bait to lure the other Saiyan leaders to them so that they can kill them. Of course, this fails and brings about the ruin of the Tuffles.
- Amanito would have taken off Vegeta's eye and mouth guards before talking to him, but it's not mentioned in the text. It's common sense, though, considering all of the other scene direction. Amanito wouldn't talk to a blindfolded dude who can't talk.
- The ending scene with Ocra and Artachoc is one of my favorite scenes in this story. I remember HZ spent a really long time getting the dialogue right for that section. He had me help a little, but he did the vast majority of the work. It's a really great scene overall. The relative peace and quiet of it compared to much of the rest of the chapter (and story) makes the whole thing quite beautiful.
- Artachoc's last words are a reference to Sergeant Johnson's last words in Halo 3, if I'm not mistaken. HZ wrote that line though so I can't say for sure.
- The second half of the last scene was weird because I wrote it while HZ watched. We were doing this over google docs, so we could see live updates when someone was writing the chapter. I had him watch because I was writing for his characters in the scene and wanted them to be as accurate as possible. I felt pressure while writing it, because I didn't want to write anything stupid while he was watching. I wanted to write the best dialogue ever.
- Lascon is shown to have survived, but he is horrifically injured. I had a grand old time describing him in his injured state. The missing ear is an example of a permanent injury related to him taking that energy blast. I didn't want him to just get up and be good in a few days as if nothing happened. He carries that wound for the rest of his life.
- Lascon's character shines in the closing of this chapter. He's been a background character up to this point, but now he's showing his honor and his devotion to King Vegeta. He believes in duty above his own well-being. Quite frankly, he's too wounded to do anything, but that doesn't stop him from trying. When Dogom questions how Lascon is still conscious, that was a question I was posing myself as I talked through Dogom.
- The moment Lascon and Ocra share is a rather quiet one - I imagine the sun setting in the desert as the wind is howling off in the distance. It's bleak and quiet and a bit of a moment of serenity. But it's a highly emotional time for all of them too, so the underlying tension doesn't go away just because they are all tired. The feeling of exhaustion comes out in that scene. They aren't just relieved to not be fighting, they are exhausted of feeling so sad from losing people like Vegeta and Artachoc and from the war never ending. This mixture of exhaustion/serenity is not clearly defined; its ambiguity (in terms of which one is more prominent) is left up to the readers to decide for themselves.
- I really like the way I ended this chapter. To be truthful, it's very prose-like, not really how I usually do drama format descriptions. Ocra's sadness is subtle. I don't hit you over the head with it. But her desire for revenge is very Saiyan-like, and we see a glimpse of that when she curls her hands into fists (which could also - dualistically - show how much she is hurting on the inside). Ocra isn't giving up. She's going to kill all the Tuffles she can for the sake of her late husband and her infant daughter. While I had a part in creating this part of Ocra's personality, it was influenced by her appearances in Dragon Ball: The Mrovian Series: Essentia saga. The ending of this chapter is a good example of why she's my favorite Saiyan of HZ's.
9. That’s No Moon
<IT IS MORNING>
<A BIRD IS SEEN FLYING THROUGH THE AIR; THE CAMERA FOLLOWS IT AS IT SOARS THROUGH A RUINED CITY, THEN OVER AN OCEAN, AND FINALLY ABOVE A DESERT; THE BIRD SPREADS ITS WINGS WIDE AND THEN PULLS THEM BACK, DIVE BOMBING TO THE GROUND; THE CAMERA FOLLOWS IT; JUST BEFORE IT HITS THE GROUND, THE BIRD PULLS UP AND STOPS, HOVERING IN PLACE; IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAIYAN CAMP; THERE, MANY OF THE NAMED SAIYANS ARE STANDING AND TALKING WITH ONE ANOTHER>
Zorn: We have no hope of assaulting them. Their cities are protected by shields–
Lascon: <IN MID-CONVERSATION WITH ZORN> No, what I’m saying is… <HE LOOKS UP AND SEES THE BIRD HOVERING IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR GROUP> What is that?!
<THE BIRD CHIRPS AND THEN SPREADS ITS WINGS; FROM ITS CHEST, A PROJECTED SCREEN MATERIALIZES; ON IT IS VEGETA, WHO IS TIED UP AND LOOKS TIRED>
Vegeta: <THROUGH HIS TEETH> My fellow Saiyans, I come before you today with a proposition. The Tuffles are offering to meet with you, my war council, in order to negotiate my release. They also wish to discuss creating a peace treaty between our two races. They ask that only my war council come to negotiate with them. No armies. The Tuffles will not have their armies present, either. Please… brothers… do this for me. Save us from losing this war. Do the right thing. This drone <VEGETA NODS TO THE BIRD HOVERING BEHIND HIM> will take you to where the peace talks are going to be held. Come soon.
<THE MESSAGE CUTS OUT>
Paragus: Tuffle dogs! <HE SPITS AND KICKS THE GROUND> Do they think we can have peace?! After this?! I won’t stop until every one of them is dead!
Dogom: Peace is a foolish proposition. But we need to get our king back.
Lascon: Aye, we do. Vegeta’s life is at risk. If we don’t rescue him soon, the Tuffles will kill him.
Layeeck: They may have already done so, father. That is a recorded message. The Tuffles could be luring us into a trap.
Zorn: It’s certainly a trap. It’s obvious. They must think we’re stupid enough to fall for it, though.
Lascon: Yes, it’s a trap. They don’t want our army to come with us. They’ll ambush us, I’m sure. Overwhelm us with numbers. They want to kill the remaining Saiyan leadership to win the war outright.
Zorn: Then what can we do? Their radars would pick up on if we had an army hiding behind us.
Layeeck: We’ll be walking into the jaws of certain death if we go there without backup.
Lascon: I know. But we must play their game if we hope to beat them at it. <HE STARTS WALKING OFF> Everyone, suit up. Prepare for war. I have an idea for how we can win this thing.
<THE SAIYANS AROUND STAND UP AND START STRETCHING; A FEW BEGIN FOLLOWING LASCON AS HE WALKS OFF>
Kusa: <STANDS UP; STARTS TO FOLLOW LASCON> I’m going too.
Zorn: <PUTTING HIS HAND ON KUSA’S SHOULDER> No! This is too dangerous.
Kusa: Hmph. It doesn’t seem like there’s any place left on this planet that isn’t full of danger. We’re at war, Zorn! We can’t hide. Vegeta needs all of us to help him.
Zorn: It’s safe here, sister. Stay put. We will rescue Vegeta and return shortly.
Kusa: Vegeta is wounded. You saw it in the video. The Tuffles are torturing him. He’ll need my healing–
Zorn: You’ll get yourself killed.
Kusa: <TURNS AROUND; DEFIANTLY> You are my brother, Zorn, but you are not my keeper. I’m going. You can’t stop me.
<SHE RAISES HER CHIN AND THEN MARCHES OFF AFTER LASCON>
<CUTS TO VEGETA>
<VEGETA IS BEING SHOCKED; HE IS TIED UP LIKE HE WAS IN THE LAST CHAPTER; HE IS SCREAMING AS THE ELECTRICITY COATS HIS BODY; AMANITO IS STUDYING THE SAIYAN KING; VIROS AND EXITALIA ARE ON COMPUTERS BEHIND AMANITO; NIVALUS IS WATCHING THE SCREEN THAT SHOWS THE BARRIERS OVER THE MOONS>
Nivalus: We’ll need to re-route more power, father.
Amanito: <STARING AT VEGETA AS HE TALKS> Then do it, soldier. I don’t care what it costs. The moons will not return to the sky – not so long as I live.
Nivalus: <NODS> It’ll take three more cities offline. No shields. The Saiyans will be able to overrun them.
Amanito: They won’t know the shields are down for a while. Use that time to evacuate the cities. Send the citizens to cities that still have their shields operational. <HE TURNS AROUND, FINALLY> Did you hear that, Viros?
Viros: Yes, General. I’ll order the evacuations at once.
Amanito: <LOOKING AT THE LARGE SCREEN WHICH IS SHOWING THE MOONS> Two moons…
Nivalus: There’s a full moon in ten days. Have you ever seen one, father?
Amanito: No. The barriers were up since before I was born. Since before my father, or his father, even. It’s been almost a thousand years since anyone has gazed upon the moons.
Vegeta: <WATCHING THEM; IN HIS MIND> The moons… why are they being hidden?! What are these Tuffles so afraid of?
<IN FRONT OF VEGETA, THE OLD SAIYAN WOMAN APPEARS; SHE STARES UP AT THE SCREEN THAT HAS THE MOONS ON IT>
Saiyan woman: The night’s suns. Two eyes staring down at us, patiently waiting.
Vegeta: Wh-what is the power of these moons?
Saiyan woman: <SMILES> You know, child. It’s your heritage. Our heritage. The Saiyans are tied to our planet’s moons, and the moons are tied to the Saiyans. We wax and wane together.
Vegeta: You told me… you said that the moons make us into invincible warriors for a night. Is that what the Tuffles fear? How would we become invincible?
<THE SAIYAN WOMAN MORPHS INTO KUSA>
Kusa: It made us stronger when it shone its brightest.
Vegeta: There are two moons… not one.
Kusa: <SHE SMILES> It was lost to history. We only remembered the light, not what made it so bright.
Vegeta: I-I… don’t know what to do. <HE STARTS TO CRY IN PAIN OR DELIRIUM> I don’t know how to bring the moons back to my people…
Kusa: <WALKS UP TO VEGETA, PLACING HER HAND ON HIS CHEEK AND WIPING AWAY HIS TEARS> They will come back one day. When we have proven ourselves worthy. <SHE STARES INTO VEGETA’S EYES; HE STARES BACK> The Saiyans were once a mighty race. And they can be again. You are a strong king, Vegeta. Lead your people to victory.
<KUSA DISAPPEARS AND VEGETA FOCUSES BACK ON AMANITO AND THE OTHERS, WHO ARE NO LONGER PAYING ATTENTION TO HIM>
Viros: <IN MID-CONVERSATION> Once the Saiyans reach the gate, I’ll go out to meet them. Show them what the Tuffles are made of.
Amanito: <NODS> Yes. My full army will be hiding in the rocks around the city. Use them to your advantage.
Viros: I want to kill the Saiyans, myself. I want to see their dying eyes.
Amanito: You got one of them before.
Viros: Yeah. His bitch almost saved him, but I was too fast. Maybe she’ll be with the party that comes to us. I sure would like to reunite her with her mate.
Vegeta: <IN HIS MIND> I should have never recorded that message… I should have let them kill me. I’ve doomed our race…<HE LOOKS BACK UP TO THE MOONS ON THE SCREEN> If there was ever a time for you to show yourselves, it would now… Please… I need a miracle.
<CUTS TO THE TUFFLE CITY>
<VIROS RUNS UP TO THE GATE OF THE CITY; HIS GUARDS FLANK HIM; STANDING OUTSIDE OF THE CITY IS A HOST OF SAIYANS – LASCON, PARAGUS, ZORN, NAPPA, DOGOM, LAYEECK; LASCON IS STANDING AT THE HEAD OF THE SMALL GROUP, HIS ARMS CROSSED; HE IS FROWNING>
Viros: Didn’t even bother to bring any guards, did you Saiyan? <HE LAUGHS; TO A SOLDIER> All right, open the gate. Let’s go meet them.
<VIROS AND HIS ARMY MARCH OUT AND LINE UP IN FRONT OF THE SMALL GROUP OF SAIYANS; THE WIND PICKS UP AS THEY LINE UP>
Lascon: <SHOUTING OVER THE WIND> We want Vegeta back!
Viros: <SMILING> I’m sure you do, Saiyan. Pity you didn’t bring any guards. <HE RAISES A FIST AND THEN LOWERS IT; THE CAMERA SHOWS GROUPS OF TUFFLES HIDING BEHIND ROCKS ON ALL SIDES OF THE SAIYANS; THEY SPRING UP AND RUN FORWARD> Did you really think we wanted peace, fools?! We want you dead! <HE POINTS AT LASCON> Kill them! Kill them all!
<THE TUFFLES BEGIN TO CONVERGE ON THE SAIYAN LEADERS; VIROS LEADS THEM; THE SAIYANS PUTS THEIR BACK UP AGAINST ONE ANOTHER AND START CHARGING UP ENERGY ATTACKS, EXCEPT FOR LASCON, WHO DOES NOT MOVE>
Lascon: <ANGRILY> You’re the fool, Tuffle. You’ve fallen right into my trap.
<FROM THE SKIES, A HUGE ARMY OF SAIYANS DESCENDS; LEADING THEM IS OCRA; CYLERIA AND KUSA ARE FLANKING HER; THE TUFFLES DON’T REALIZE WHAT HAS HAPPENED UNTIL THE SAIYANS ARE ON TOP OF THEM; OCRA SEES VIROS AT THE HEAD OF THE TUFFLE ARMY AND SHOOTS TOWARDS HIM; CYLERIA AND KUSA AND SOME OF THE SAIYANS FOLLOW HER TO THE GROUND; MANY OTHER SAIYANS REMAIN IN THE AIR, RAINING DOWN ATTACKS ON THE TUFFLE GROUND FORCES; THE TUFFLES WHO HAVE SURROUNDED THE SMALL SAIYAN COMMAND FORCE CHARGE LASCON AND THE OTHERS>
Viros: <LOOKING UP, SEEING OCRA CHARGING STRAIGHT AT HIM> What are you waiting for? Shoot her down!
<THE TUFFLES RIGHT NEXT TO VIROS ALL POINT THEIR GUNS AT OCRA, WHO WAS ALREADY CHARGING A LARGE ENERGY SPHERE IN HER PALMS; SHE THROWS HER ATTACK AT VIROS, WHICH EATS UP THE TUFFLES’ SHOTS AS IT MAKES ITS WAY TOWARDS THEIR COMMANDER; VIROS JUMPS OUT OF THE WAY, BUT THE INFANTRY THAT WAS AROUND HIM ARE INCINERATED THE MOMENT THE ENERGY SPHERE TOUCHES THEM; AFTER SINKING INTO THE GROUND, THE SPHERE DETONATES, CREATING AN EXPLOSION THAT KNOCKS AWAY OTHER NEARBY TUFFLES INCLUDING VIROS>
<BEFORE THE TUFFLE COMMANDER CAN REGAIN HIS FOOTING, OCRA APPEARS IN FRONT OF HIM AND KICKS HIS LOWER ABDOMEN, CAUSING HIM TO DROP HIS RIFLE; SHE THEN GRABS HIM BY THE SHOULDERS, SPINS HIM AROUND, AND THEN THROWS HIM OUT OF THE IMMEDIATE BATTLEFIELD; AS VIROS IS FLYING, OCRA CONTINUES TO FOLLOW; THE TWO OF THEM ARE NOW ISOLATED FROM THE REST OF THE FIGHT>
Viros: What do you want?!
Ocra: Your life.
<OCRA LEAPS TOWARDS VIROS WITH ANOTHER KICK; ANTICIPATING THE ATTACK THIS TIME, VIROS ROLLS OFF TO THE SIDE AND THEN ACTIVATES HIS SUIT’S PERSONAL ENERGY SHIELDING; HE PULLS A PISTOL OUT OF HIS HOLSTER AND FIRES IT REPEATEDLY AT OCRA WHILE FLYING BACKWARDS; OCRA CONTINUES TO RUSH VIROS AND TELEPORT-DODGES EVERY SHOT HE FIRES; WHEN THE SAIYAN GETS TOO CLOSE FOR VIROS’ COMFORT, HE ACTIVATES TWO ENERGY DAGGERS, ONE FROM FROM EACH WRIST, DUCKS, AND POINTS BOTH OF HIS DAGGERS FORWARD, HOPING TO IMPALE HIS ENEMY; OCRA IS ABLE TO REACT TO VIROS’ ACTION, JUMPING JUST OVER HIS TWIN ENERGY BLADES; SHE IMMEDIATELY EXTENDS ONE LEG AND SPINS HER ENTIRE BODY, KICKING VIROS RIGHT ACROSS HIS FACE, DAMAGING HIS SHIELDS>
<OCRA THEN TELEPORTS BEHIND VIROS BEFORE THROWING A JAB, A BACKFIST, AND A DOUBLE-PALM STRIKE, BREAKING VIROS’ ENERGY SHIELDING; OCRA THEN FIRES A SMALL ENERGY SPHERE INTO VIROS’ BACK, WHICH EXPLODES, SCRAPING HIM ACROSS THE GROUND ON HIS FACE; WITH THE TUFFLE COMMANDER SEEMINGLY UNCONSCIOUS, OCRA FLIES A FEW DOZEN METERS ABOVE HER ENEMY AND CHARGES HER AURA IN HER HANDS; SHE THEN BRINGS BOTH OF HER ARMS ABOVE HER HEAD, WITH HER INDEX FINGERS POINTING AND THE OTHER FINGERS INTERLOCKED; OCRA’S HANDS CONTINUE TO GLOW BRIGHTER UNTIL SHE SWINGS THEM DOWNWARDS AT VIROS, UNLEASHING A MASSIVE BLUE ENERGY BEAM>
<THE BEAM CONTINUES FOR SEVERAL MORE SECONDS AND THEN STOPS, LEAVING A TEN-METER-WIDE HOLE; AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE, THE GLOW OF MAGMA CAN BE SEEN; WITH VIROS APPARENTLY DEAD, OCRA DESCENDS NEXT TO THE TUNNEL SHE MADE; SUDDENLY, VIROS SPRINGS OUT FROM BEHIND WITH AN ENERGY DAGGER EXTENDED; OCRA, HEARING HIS MOVEMENTS, IS BARELY ABLE TO MOVE OUT OF THE WAY IN TIME, RECEIVING A GRAZE ON HER RIGHT SIDE, JUST BELOW THE RIBS; SEEING THAT HIS ATTACK HAS FAILED AND HIS SUIT CANNOT AFFORD TO TAKE ANY MORE DAMAGE, VIROS BEGINS TO FLEE; OCRA, OF COURSE, REFUSES TO LET HER HUSBAND’S MURDERER ESCAPE, TELEPORTING IN FRONT OF VIROS AND STOPPING HIM IN HIS TRACKS WITH ANOTHER JAB, A KICK TO HIS LEG THAT BREAKS HIS KNEE, AND ANOTHER UPPERCUT, WHICH THIS TIME, BREAKS HIS JAW; OCRA THEN GRABS ONTO VIROS’ SHOULDERS ONCE MORE AND THEN FLIES INTO THE HOLE; BECAUSE HE IS IN TOO MUCH PAIN, VIROS CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO OCRA; WHEN SHE REACHES ABOUT TWENTY METERS ABOVE THE MAGMA LINE, OCRA BRINGS VIROS ABOVE HER HEAD AND THEN THROWS HIM INTO THE INFERNO WITH ALL OF HER STRENGTH; VIROS’ SCREAM IS ONLY HEARD FOR A SPLIT SECOND, AS THE MAGMA INSTANTLY BOILS ALL OF HIS BODILY FLUIDS, CREATING A FIERY EXPLOSION; SATISFIED, OCRA FLIES OUT OF THE HOLE AND RETURNS TO THE BATTLE>
<CUTS TO AMANITO; HE, NIVALUS, AND EXITALIA ARE WATCHING A LIVE VIDEO FEED OF THE BATTLE; THEY ARE ALL SHOCKED BY WHAT THEY ARE SEEING>
Amanito: <BARKING; TO A NEARBY TUFFLE> How did their army get here without us picking it up on the sensors?!
Tuffle 2: They were above us, sir! Hovering just out of range of our sensors!
Amanito: Damn it! <HE SLAMS HIS LEFT FIST ONTO A TABLE> They’re winning. Are there any other armies nearby? Can we call any other forces to our aid?
Exitalia: I’m sorry, sir. By the time any of our other armies get here, the battle will be long over. We have go. It’s already lost.
Amanito: Fine then. Have them retreat back to the city. We can’t lose this tower. If they destroy this… then the moon barriers will fall.
Nivalus: I know, father. There’s nothing I can do. We have to stop them here!
Amanito: Where’s Viros? I need him to lead the retreat.
<THE CAMERAS SHOW THE SAIYANS OVERWHELMING THE TUFFLES; VIROS IS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN; THE GATES OF THE CITY ARE STILL OPEN AND SAIYANS START TO RUN INSIDE; THERE ARE FEW TUFFLES LEFT TO STOP THEM>
Amanito: <IN DISMAY> This is lost! Tell everyone to fall back! <NONE OF THE TUFFLE WARRIORS ON THE BATTLEFIELD CAN HEAR HIM; BESIDES, MOST OF THEM ARE DEAD; SEEING THIS, AMANITO TURNS AROUND AND LOOKS AT VEGETA> Auugh!! I’ll have to take more drastic measures!
<CUTS BACK TO THE BATTLE>
<CYLERIA AND KUSA ARE FIGHTING ON THE GROUND; CYLERIA BLOCKS A PUNCH FROM A TUFFLE, THEN KICKS HIM ACROSS THE FACE; AS HE STAGGERS BACK, SHE CHARGES HIM AND RAMS HIM TO THE GROUND WITH HER SHOULDER; THEN, SHE ELBOWS HIM IN THE CHEST, SHATTERING THE TUFFLE’S RIBCAGE; THE TUFFLE COUGHS UP BLOOD AS HE DIES; KUSA COVERS CYLERIA WITH FINGER BEAMS AND SMALL ENERGY BURST ATTACKS; WHEN A GROUP OF TUFFLES CHARGE HER, SHE BACKFLIPS OVER THEM, THROWS AN ENERGY BALL INTO THE CENTER OF THEIR GROUP AND THEN LANDS BEHIND THEM; AS THEY TURN AROUND TO AIM THEIR RIFLES AT HER, THE ENERGY BALL EXPLODES AND INCINERATES ALL OF THEM>
<NAPPA AND LAYEECK ARE FIGHTING ON TOP OF A PILE OF DEAD BODIES AS WAVE AFTER WAVE OF TUFFLES CHARGES THEM; THEY BEAT BACK THE TUFFLES WITH ENERGY ATTACKS; A MECH APPEARS AND SHOOTS AN ENERGY CANNON AT THE TWO, FORCING THEM TO JUMP OUT OF THE WAY; THEY TAKE TO THE AIR AND COORDINATE ATTACKS ON THE MECH; WHILE NAPPA SITS BACK AND SHOOTS ENERGY BEAMS AT IT, LAYEECK RUSHES IT AND PUNCHES IT WITH KI-COVERED FISTS; WHEN THE MECH THEN TURNS ITS ATTENTION TO HIM, NAPPA CHARGES IT AND DOES THE SAME AS LAYEECK MOVES BACK AND OFFERS COVERING FIRE; SOON, THE MECH IS CHARRED BLACK AND STRUGGLES TO MOVE; LAYEECK AND NAPPA THEN NOD AT ONE ANOTHER, RAISE THEIR HANDS, AND SHOOT BEAMS OF ENERGY AT THE MECH; THEIR BEAMS FUSE INTO ONE MORE POWERFUL ENERGY ATTACK THAT HITS THE MECH AND DESTROYS IT IN A HUGE EXPLOSION>
<ZORN AND DOGOM GO BACK-TO-BACK AND START MOVING IN A COUNTER-CLOCKWISE CIRCLE, SHOOTING OFF ENERGY ATTACKS AT ALL THE TUFFLES AROUND THEM; THEN, THEY START TRADING BLOWS WITH THE TUFFLES WHO TRY TO GET CLOSE TO THEM; SOME TUFFLE SNIPERS AIM AT ZORN, HITTING HIM IN THE LEFT SHOULDER; ZORN FALLS TO ONE KNEE AND DOGOM RUSHES OFF TO KILL THE TUFFLES; FROM THE AIR, HE RAINS DOWN KI ON THEM AND VAPORIZES THEM>
<LASCON MOVES THROUGH THE GROUND FIGHTING UP TO THE GATE; TUFFLES AND SAIYANS ARE FIGHTING IN CLOSE QUARTERS ALL AROUND HIM; SEVERAL TUFFLES CHARGE HIM WITH ENERGY SWORDS, BUT HE CREATES A SONIC BLAST WITH HIS PALM THAT STUNS THEM; WHILE THEY ARE STUNNED, HE DECAPITATES THEM ALL WITH SMALL ENERGY DISCS; LASCON RUNS FORWARD INTO THE TUFFLE CITY; JOINING HIM IS PARAGUS AND DOGOM AND A FEW UNNAMED SAIYANS; ONCE IN THE CITY, THEY TAKE OUT THE LAST TUFFLE GUARDS WITH DIRECTED ENERGY BULLETS AND RUN UP TO THE HUGE TOWER IN THE CENTER OF THE CITY; LASCON BLOWS OPEN THE DOOR WITH ENERGY AND THEN THEY ALL RUN INSIDE>
<THE SAIYANS SHOOT THEIR WAY PAST MORE TUFFLE SOLDIERS AND COME TO THE ROOM WHERE VEGETA IS BEING HELD; THEY PUNCH AND KICK THEIR WAY PAST THE FEW GUARDS REMAINING; THEY COME INTO THE ROOM JUST AS THEY SEE AMANITO TAKING VEGETA OUT OF HIS ENERGY BINDINGS; TWO TUFFLE GUARDS PICK VEGETA UP AND TURN HIM AROUND TO FACE THE SAIYANS; AMANITO’S HOST IS ONLY A FEW DOZEN STRONG; MOST OF THE TUFFLES ARE UNARMED SCIENTISTS, THOUGH; ONLY EXITALIA AND HER SOLDIERS POSE ANY THREAT>
<AMANITO TAKES OUT A PISTOL AND POINTS IT AT VEGETA’S SKULL; VEGETA IS TOO TIRED AND WOUNDED TO REACT TO IT; HIS HEAD IS BOBBING BACK AND FORTH; HE DOESN’T SEEM TO BE FULLY CONSCIOUS>
Amanito: Stay back, Saiyans! I’ll kill him if you get any closer!
Lascon: Let him go, Tuffle. You’ve already lost.
<AS THEY ARE TALKING, PARAGUS TURNS TO THE LEFT AND MOVES OVER A LITTLE>
Amanito: No! This war is not over! We are winning!
Dogom: Doesn’t look like it.
Amanito: Shut up! I’ll kill him if you say another word! Turn around and leave, and this won’t get ugly.
<BEFORE AMANITO CAN SAY ANYTHING ELSE, PARAGUS MATERIALIZES BEHIND THE TUFFLE AND KNOCKS HIM TO THE GROUND; PARAGUS’ AFTERIMAGE, WHICH HAD STAYED BEHIND WITH THE OTHERS AND FOOLED THE TUFFLES INTO THINKING HE HAD NOT MOVED FORWARD, DISSIPATES; PARAGUS THEN LETS OUT AN EXPLOSIVE WAVE THAT PUSHES THE SCIENTISTS, NIVALUS, AND EXITALIA AWAY; HE RUNS FORWARD AND KILLS THE TWO TUFFLE GUARDS HOLDING VEGETA BEFORE THEY CAN BLINK; BEFORE THEIR BODIES HIT THE GROUND, PARAGUS HELPS VEGETA UP; BEHIND HIM, AMANITO, NIVALUS, AND THE OTHERS SIT UP; TERROR IS ON THEIR FACES; NIVALUS AND EXITALIA AND THE OTHERS FLEE, LEAVING ONLY AMANITO THERE>
Amanito: Fools! We can’t leave! We can’t! Come back!
Paragus: <TURNING AROUND TO FACE AMANITO; STILL HOLDING ONTO VEGETA> Why’s that, Tuffle?
Amanito: None of your business!
Vegeta: <WEAKLY> The… moons…
<AMANITO’S EYES WIDEN IN HORROR>
Lascon: Kill the Tuffle! Don’t let him escape! <HE AND DOGOM RUN FORWARD, CAUSING AMANITO TO PANIC AND FINALLY ABANDON THE TOWER> Dogom, can you catch him?
<DOGOM NODS AND RUNS OFF; LASCON MOVES TO VEGETA; VEGETA FALLS FORWARD, EXHAUSTED, AWAY FROM PARAGUS; BEFORE HE CAN HIT THE GROUND, HOWEVER, HE IS CAUGHT BY A SAIYAN; VEGETA LOOKS UP AND SEES KUSA STANDING THERE, SMILING AT HIM>
Vegeta: <IN A WHISPER> Kusa…
<THEY KISS BRIEFLY AND THEN KUSA LAYS VEGETA ON THE GROUND; VEGETA IS UNABLE TO MOVE MUCH; SHE TAKES OUT A POUCH OF HERBS AND PREPARES TO USE HER HEALING ABILITIES ON THE KING>
Paragus: Vegeta, what did you mean about the moons?
Vegeta: <BREATHING HARD; RAISES A HAND AND POINTS WEAKLY TO THE SCREEN SHOWING THE MOON BARRIERS> There… the moons… Tuffles concealed them. Destroy… destroy the barriers.
<VEGETA’S HAND FALLS AND KUSA QUIETS HIM; PARAGUS AND LASCON LOOK AT THE MOON BARRIERS ON THE SCREEN>
Lascon: It’s one of these computers. We’ll have to destroy every one of them to be sure.
Paragus: Why would the Tuffles want to hide the moons?
Lascon: Whatever the reason is, it scared that Tuffle commander. He really didn’t want to lose this tower. He was desperate… prepared to sacrifice almost anything to keep us out. <SHAKES HIS HEAD> The moons must be incredibly important.
Paragus: Yeah. Well, too bad for him.
<PARAGUS AND LASCON WARM UP KI IN THEIR HANDS AND PREPARE TO DESTROY ALL OF THE COMPUTERS AROUND THEM>
<CUTS TO DOGOM>
<DOGOM PURSUES THE TUFFLES OUTSIDE TO A LANDING PAD; THIS AREA IS ON THE EDGE OF THE CITY, WHERE A CANYON SEPARATES THE NEAR SIDE FROM THE DESERT; NIVALUS, AMANITO, AND THE SCIENTISTS GET INTO A HELICOPTER-LIKE FLYING MACHINE; EXITALIA AND A FEW GUARDS COVER THEM; WHEN DOGOM COMES AROUND THE CORNER, THEY ALL OPEN FIRE ON HIM; HE DUCKS OUT OF THE WAY AND THEN POPS UP AND SHOOTS LETHAL ENERGY AT ALL OF EXITALIA’S GUARDS, DROPPING THEM; ONCE IT IS JUST EXITALIA AND DOGOM, DOGOM RUSHES FORWARD>
<THE TUFFLE FLYING MACHINE WITH AMANITO AND THE OTHERS INSIDE IT TAKES OFF AND STARTS FLYING AWAY; DOGOM DOESN’T NOTICE IT LEAVE>
<EXITALIA FIRES HER RIFLE AT DOGOM, WHO JUMPS OVER HER SHOT; EXITALIA AIMS UPWARDS AND CONTINUES TO SHOOT AT DOGOM, BUT ALL OF HER SHOTS MISS; FRUSTRATED, EXITALIA TOSSES HER RIFLE ASIDE AND ACTIVATES HER ENERGY DAGGERS, PREPARING TO ENGAGE DOGOM IN CLOSE QUARTERS; THE TUFFLE COMMANDER TAKES A SWING AT THE APPROACHING DOGOM, WHO AVOIDS THE ATTACK BY IMMEDIATELY BACKING AWAY; DOGOM THEM RUNS BACK TO HIS ENEMY, GRABS HER BY THE THROAT, THROWS HER STRAIGHT UP, FIRES A FINGER BEAM AT HER FROM BELOW, AND THEN PURSUES HER WITH A FLYING BACK KICK; HER SHIELDS HAVING TAKEN THE BLOW FOR HER, EXITALIA IS ABLE TO RECOVER QUICKLY AND FLIES STRAIGHT AT DOGOM; EXITALIA TRIES TO STAB AND SLASH DOGOM, BUT THE SAIYAN DUCKS, SIDESTEPS, AND BACKS AWAY FROM EVERY ATTACK>
Exitalia: <CONTINUES THE SLASH-AND-STAB BARRAGE> What’s wrong?! Why don’t you fight back?!
Dogom: <CONTINUES DODGING> I’m just about to. <BACKS AWAY> Don’t blink.
<DOGOM TELEPORTS JUST ABOVE EXITALIA, DROPPING ONTO HER WITH ONE LEG, SPINNING HIS ENTIRE BODY; WHEN DOGOM REACHES THE GROUND, HE RELEASES A SMALL EXPLOSIVE WAVE, PUSHING THE TUFFLE COMMANDER AWAY; HE TELEPORTS TO HER WITH ANOTHER EXPLOSIVE WAVE, AND CONTINUES TO PUSH HER UNTIL SHE SLAMS INTO THE BASE OF A CLIFF; THIS TIME, DOGOM UNLEASHES A BARRAGE OF MULTIPLE EXPLOSIVE WAVES, WITH EACH ATTACK PUSHING EXITALIA DEEPER AND DEEPER INTO THE ROCKY WALL; DOGOM OCCASIONALLY THROWS IN POINT-BLANK FINGER BEAMS OR DOWNWARD DRILL KICKS IN BETWEEN EACH EXPLOSIVE WAVE; EXITALIA’S SHIELDS ARE, OF COURSE, LONG GONE BY NOW, WITH HER ARMOR BEING ALMOST SHREDDED BY THE REPEATED PUNISHMENT>
<WHEN EXITALIA’S ENTIRE BODY IS WITHIN THE ROCK, DOGOM PULLS HER OUT, THROWS HER BEHIND HIM, AND THEN FIRES ANOTHER FINGER BEAM AT HER; AS SHE IS FLYING, EXITALIA IS BARELY ABLE TO RECOVER; DOGOM RUNS UP TO HER, PROMPTING HER TO TAKE ONE LAST SWING; HER ATTACK IS, OF COURSE, FUTILE, AS DOGOM DODGES THIS ONE JUST THE SAME AS THE REST; HE JABS HER, THE PUNCH LAUNCHING HER OFF THE CLIFFSIDE; EXITALIA USES HER SUIT’S ENGINES TO STOP HER FALL; FROM THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF, HOWEVER, DOGOM LEAPS AT HIS ENEMY, RELEASING ONE LAST EXPLOSIVE WAVE, PUSHING THE FEMALE TUFFLE STRAIGHT DOWN; SHE ATTEMPTS TO REACTIVATE HER THRUSTERS, ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THEY WERE DESTROYED FROM THE SAIYAN’S LAST ATTACK; NOW HELPLESS, EXITALIA CAN DO NOTHING BUT SCREAM UNTIL HER BODY SPLATTERS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CANYON>
Dogom: <FLIES BACK UP TO THE TOP OF THE CANYON, LOOKING FOR WHERE AMANITO AND THE OTHERS FLEW OFF TO; THE CAMERA PANS BACK UNTIL DOGOM IS JUST A DOT; THE CITY CAN BE SEEN ON HIS LEFT, AND THE DESERT CAN BE SEEN ON HIS RIGHT; AHEAD, THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE TUFFLES AND SAIYANS IS DRAWING TO A CLOSE, WITH THE LAST OF THE TUFFLES BEING WIPED OUT> Damn it! Where’d they go?
<THE CAMERA PANS BACK MORE UNTIL PLANET VEGETA ITSELF IS JUST A SMALL CIRCLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN; AS THE PICTURE STAYS FOCUSED ON PLANET VEGETA IN SPACE, A MOON CAN BE SEEN SLOWLY ENTERING THE FRAME>
- This chapter was named by me. It was originally going to be an earlier chapter name, but due to pacing reasons, HZ and I moved back the reveal for the moons to chapters 8/9. The name is a reference to Star Wars episode IV, if I'm not mistaken.
- This chapter has one of the most artsy openings I've ever done. Not sure why I chose to do that, but it certainly reads as if we were writing confidently by this point.
- I remember having a very tough time writing Vegeta's recorded message. Reading over it now, I'm not completely happy with how it turned out.
- The radars Zorn refers to are the Tuffle proto-scouters.
- The Tuffle idea for ending the war seemed cute last chapter, but it's a rather obvious plan - so much so that the Saiyans immediately realize that. It shows how naive about war the Tuffles can be. They are a peaceful race. Treachery and deceit are not things they are naturally good at.
- Lascon has been mentioned as a good strategist a few times before. We see this with his counsel, but his plan for getting back King Vegeta is where this aspect of his personality really comes out.
- The Kusa/Zorn scene was put in for a few reasons. One thing it does is remind the readers that Kusa is still around, as she wasn't in the last chapter. It was also cool to give her a scene with her brother, showing their relationship in greater detail than before. Additionally, this sets the stage for Kusa's reunion with Vegeta, which would have been horrible had it not been foreshadowed here.
- Kusa shows her strength by not allowing Zorn to dominate her. Sure, Zorn is trying to protect her, but Kusa's actions show that she can take care of herself and sees herself as an individual. As with Cyleria and Ocra, I think HZ and I did a good job of showing strong female characters in this story, even if none of them are the focal characters.
- It was fun delving into Tuffle culture a bit with Nivalus and Amanito. Amanito suggests that the Tuffles hid the moons around the time of the last Legendary Super Saiyan. That explains the decline of the Saiyans and the rise of the Tuffles.
- The old Saiyan woman (and later, Kusa) is a hallucination brought on by the pain Vegeta is experiencing. Both hallucinations talk about the moons, not the moon, which is not how they talked when conversing with Vegeta in reality. Both the old Saiyan woman and Kusa said there was only one moon - clearly the fact that there were two was lost to legend. It also makes sense. The two moons would likely rarely if ever been in the sky together, so the Saiyans would think there was only one.
- I think comparing the Saiyans' power to the waxing and waning of the moon was one of our better comparisons in this story.
- The point of the hallucinations was to give Vegeta some character development and internal conflict while he is in his most hopeless state.
- The Saiyan Viros is talking about is Artachoc. Viros mentioning Artachoc was done to foreshadow his battle with Ocra later in the chapter.
- Vegeta's regret over recording the message is tragic to me. He was forced to record it under extreme pain. And yet he realizes that if the Saiyans do what he asked of them, the Saiyans will lose the war. It's a moment of personal weakness for Vegeta and he fully acknowledges it, which gives him some more character development.
- Vegeta asks for a miracle - he wants the moons to appear and make the Saiyans invincible. Obviously that can't happen. I was going against the common trope of someone wishfully thinking about something and then it miraculously occurring. No miracle happens in this chapter. Vegeta's wish doesn't come true. But the Saiyans still overcome the Tuffles because they are the stronger race.
- The wind picking up when Viros meets with the Saiyans is me referencing the common Western trope of wind beginning to blow just before a shootout.
- Reading this chapter over, I'd forgotten how epic Lascon is when he reveals that he's lured Viros into his own trap. Great moment that is.
- HZ wrote the extended scene with Ocra and Viros. The only thing I remember about that is that HZ asked me if it was logical that Ocra could create a blast so powerful that it would create a deep crack in the surface of the planet, allowing Viros to be consumed by magma. I thought it would be possible, so he wrote that. Still, I'm not sure what he was referencing by killing Viros in that way.
- The beginning of the fourth scene (with Amanito watching the battle) was written to explain Lascon's genius move. By hiding his Saiyans just out of range of the Tuffle radars and above the clouds (thus, out of sight), he was able to spring a great trap on the Tuffles before they knew what hit them.
- Amanito reveals that losing the city he's in will cost the Tuffles their moon barriers - something they can't afford to lose at any cost. It's a shame he didn't have the foresight to put more armies in defense of the city. Of course, Amanito couldn't have guessed that the Saiyans would assault the city, as it is protected by energy barriers. It's only Lascon's sneak attack and Viros forgetting to close the city's gates that made it possible for the Saiyans to overwhelm the city.
- For the battle, we focused in on what each named Saiyan was doing for a few panels worth of action and then spent the majority of the time of Lascon, as this is his fight. This is his shining moment.
- I mention Paragus turning slightly and moving to show that he has afterimaged away. It seems strange the first time you read it - why did I mention that Paragus moved slightly? Isn't that unimportant detail? It's not. Anytime something like that happens it's to alert the readers that a small and otherwise unimportant action has a real purpose.
- I chose Paragus to free Vegeta since he couldn't kill a named Tuffle commander. HZ wanted both Ocra and Dogom to kill two commanders, leaving only Zorn and Nappa to kill the others. This left Paragus as the only named canon Saiyan to not kill a named Tuffle, so I had him do something else that is equally as important.
- Kusa's reunion with Vegeta in this chapter confirms that she is going to be the wife of his two sons. The war is almost over and they are clearly in love. Also, the fact that she is a healer and Vegeta was wounded so badly by the Tuffles comes together rather well plot-wise.
- Lascon also doesn't kill a named Saiyan, so having him destroy the moon barriers gives him something important to do. Paragus helps with this for the same reason.
- HZ wrote most of the last scene, but I wrote the buildup to Dogom's fight with Exitalia. I also wrote the last two paragraphs of this chapter (including Dogom's dialogue to himself).
- I wish HZ would have come up with a different weapon for Exitalia to use. Solitarn used an energy sword in the previous chapter, and Viros used daggers in this chapter (which was slightly repetitive in itself). Exitalia using daggers too isn't that interesting. I wish she could have had an energy whip or something to differentiate herself and make her battle unique.
- The pan out to space with the moon slowly coming into view is one of my favorite scenes in this story. It's hard to grasp how cool it is in text form. I have a very clear picture of it in my head. This kind of scene would look really great in manga or anime form. It, of course, foreshadows the full moon battle that will occur in the next chapter. Any astute reader would notice that Nivalus said the next full moon would come in ten days time, so the Saiyan-Tuffle War ends ten days after this chapter. Still, I think the war was pretty much lost (by the Tuffles) in this battle with the last of the commanders being killed and Amanito losing a city, a huge army, the moon barriers, and much of the power supply for other cities.
10. Us or Them
<TIGHT SHOT ON A GROUP OF SAIYANS RUNNING THROUGH A SPARSE FOREST AT NIGHT; AFTER THEY MOVE OUT OF THE CAMERA’S VIEW, MUDDY FOOTPRINTS CAN BE SEEN FILLING UP WITH WATER; REFLECTING IN THE WATER IS THE BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT OF A MOON; THE CAMERA THEN SPINS UP AND FOCUSES IN ON ONE OF THE MOONS SHINING IN THE SKY; IT IS NOT A FULL MOON, BUT IT IS MORE THAN HALF FULL>
<BELOW THE MOON, A TUFFLE CITY IS UNDER SIEGE; ENERGY SHIELDING HAS FORMED A BUBBLE AROUND THE CITY, AND THE SAIYANS SHOOTING KI BLASTS AT IT ARE NOT YET ABLE TO CRACK THROUGH IT; STANDING ON A BALCONY OF THE TALLEST TOWER IN THE CITY IS AMANITO, WATCHING ALL OF THIS; HE IS HOLDING HIS BURNT RIGHT HAND WITH HIS LEFT; BELOW HIM, TENS OF THOUSANDS OF TUFFLE SOLDIERS ARE PREPARING DEFENSES IN CASE THE SAIYANS BREAK THROUGH THE ENERGY BARRIER; TURRETS ARE SET UP EVERYWHERE AND MECHS ARE PATROLLING THE STREETS; NO CIVILIANS ARE SEEN>
Amanito: <FROWNS, THEN SIGHS WHILE BARING HIS TEETH> Nivalus! Come here!
<NIVALUS COMES RUNNING OUT FROM A ROOM BEHIND AMANITO; AMANITO DOES NOT TURN AROUND TO LOOK AT HIS SON>
Amanito: <KEEPING HIS BACK TO NIVALUS; LOWERS HIS HEAD> The moons will be full in a week’s time. We do not have much time. <HE TURNS AROUND AND THEN WALKS BACK INSIDE TO A ROOM WITH GUARDS LINING THE WALLS; AMANITO IGNORES THEM; INSTEAD, HE WALKS UP TO A LARGE PAINTING HUNG ON A WALL> If we are to survive as a species, we must hide. When the full moons hit, the Saiyans will transform into monsters… grotesque beings. <THE CAMERA MOVES FORWARD TO SHOW THE PAINTING; THE PAINTING IS OF SEVERAL LARGE HAIRY BEASTS – SAIYAN GREAT APES – ATTACKING PRIMITIVE TUFFLES IN SMALL VILLAGES; THE PAINTING IS QUITE OLD AND WORN> Our ancestors did not underestimate the Saiyans during a full moon. Neither will we. <HE TURNS AROUND AND LOOKS AT HIS SON> Evacuate the cities. Move all of the Tuffles you can into underground bunkers. Each city’s army will lead the Saiyan besiegers away from the cities so that you can lead the civilians out safely. Once the full moons pass, we will return to the surface.
Nivalus: If we leave our cities… we lose everything! The Saiyans will take our homes!
Amanito: <SHAKES HIS HEAD> I wasn’t asking you. That was an order, soldier. Evacuate the cities. I will not see our race wiped from existence. You are young, Nivalus. You do not understand why we Tuffles lived in fear for so many generations. Why we had to hide in caves as the Saiyans ruled this planet. It was only when we developed the technology to hide the moons, to prevent the Saiyans from transforming, that we took our planet back. I will not make the mistake of forgetting that. We will survive this. We will outlast the Saiyans.
<WITH THAT, AMANITO SWIFTLY WALKS OF THE ROOM, HIS CAPE BILLOWING BEHIND HIM>
<CUTS TO VEGETA>
<IT IS SEVERAL DAYS SINCE THE SAIYANS RESCUED VEGETA; VEGETA IS SLEEPING IN A LARGE TENT; KUSA IS SLEEPING NEXT TO HIM; HE HAS BANDAGES AROUND HIS CHEST; VEGETA WAKES UP, SITS UP, AND THEN SLIPS OUT OF BED; HE PUTS ON SOME FUR SHORTS AND FUR BOOTS AND THEN EXITS THE TENT; IT IS MORNING, AND SMOKE IS RISING FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE CAMP, WHERE MANY SAIYANS ARE ALREADY STIRRING; VEGETA WALKS PAST THE GUARDS AT HIS TENT AND THEN MAKES HIS WAY TO THE EDGE OF THE ENCAMPMENT>
<AT THE FAR EDGE OF THE ENCAMPMENT, ON AN ELEVATED HILL, IS A SINGLE TENT, FAR REMOVED FROM THE OTHERS; VEGETA SITS DOWN ON A TREE STUMP NEXT TO THE TENT AND GAZES AT THE CAMP BELOW HIM; HE SITS THERE FOR SOME TIME>
<THEN SUDDENLY, SOMETHING POKES VEGETA ON THE BACK OF THE NECK, CAUSING HIM TO JOLT FORWARD IN SURPRISE; HE LOOKS AROUND AND SEES THE OLD SAIYAN WOMAN STANDING BEHIND HIM; SHE IS SMILING>
Saiyan woman: <MOCKING TONE> Are you enjoying the view, your grace? <SHE DOES A MOCK BOW AND THEN SMILES WARMLY> Y’know, you never told me you were the Vegeta last time we talked.
Vegeta: You never asked.
Saiyan woman: <LAUGHS> True. So why have you come to visit me again, son?
Vegeta: Do you still watch the stars every night?
Saiyan woman: <BOWS HER HEAD> Yes. I do not want to ever forget my family. They are looking down on me from the great sky. I will join them soon, I think. It is almost time. But not quite yet, eh? This old woman’s still got a little strength in her bones!
Vegeta: Then you’ve seen the moons.
Saiyan woman: <BEAMS> Of course! I always held faith they would return. But I never thought it would happen in my lifetime.
Vegeta: <STANDS UP; FOLDS HIS ARMS> Last time we spoke, you said the moons would make us invincible warriors for a night.
Saiyan woman: <POINTING SLYLY AT VEGETA> When they are full, I said.
Vegeta: How long until that happens?
Saiyan woman: <COCKS HER HEAD> Well… maybe a week or so. You will know they are full when the circles are complete.
<VEGETA GLANCES UP AT THE MOONS HANGING IN THE SKY; EVEN IN THE DAY, THEY ARE VISIBLE; IT IS CLEAR THAT THEY ARE NOT FULL CIRCLES YET, BUT THEY ARE CLOSE TO BEING SO>
Vegeta: And how will we become invincible? How will I know it’s worked?
Saiyan woman: You will know! Just have some faith in them, son. You will be rewarded for your patience.
<SHE SMILES TOOTHILY>
<CUTS TO CYLERIA AND LAYEECK>
Cyleria: <LEANING UP AGAINST A WOODEN POST WHILE WATCHING OTHER SAIYANS GO ON WITH THEIR LIVES> He killed the king I loved. I can’t fight for him. I can’t be loyal.
Layeeck: Vegeta is a good man. He has led us through this war better than anyone else could have.
Cyleria: You only think that because you were with him from the beginning.
Layeeck: <PUTS HIS HAND ON CYLERIA’S SHOULDER> Zhukin is dead, Cyleria. When the Tuffles are defeated and Vegeta is formally crowned the king of the planet, you must kneel with all the rest.
Cyleria: <STUBBORNLY> I will not! I did not choose Vegeta to be my king. He is a murderer and a thief.
Layeeck: He is saving our future! Look! <HE POINTS TO A SAIYAN SITTING ON A ROCK, AWAY FROM THE OTHER SAIYANS, PLAYING WITH HER YOUNG DAUGHTER; THIS SAIYAN IS OCRA> That is who he is fighting for. The next generation of our people will be free of what the Tuffles have done to us. They won’t live out here in the wastelands like we had to. We are forging our own future and the future of our children by taking back our planet. Don’t you want to start a family? Your children will be able to live in peace like no Saiyan has been able to for a thousand years! You have Vegeta and his leadership to thank for that. No other Saiyan would have been able to unite the tribes like he did. No other Saiyan would have been able to lead us against the Tuffles like he has. <CYLERIA LOOKS AWAY FROM LAYEECK AND ROLLS HER EYES; LAYEECK MOVES FORWARD AND WRAPS HIS ARMS AROUND CYLERIA’S SHOULDERS AS IF THEY WERE LOOSELY EMBRACING ONE ANOTHER, THOUGH CYLERIA IS NOT EMBRACING HIM BACK; IN A WHISPER> Look, Cyleria. You don’t have to love him. But you must give him the respect he deserves. I don’t want to see him kill you. I want you to live. And when this war is over, maybe… maybe we could start a family of our own…
<CYLERIA SCOFFS AS VEGETA SUDDENLY ENTERS THE SCENE; HE WALKS RIGHT UP TO LAYEECK; LAYEECK AND CYLERIA BREAK APART>
Layeeck: Sire! Are you feeling better?
Vegeta: <NODDING> I’m fine. <KINGLY TONE> Where is everyone, Layeeck?
Layeeck: My king, Nappa and Paragus have already returned to their posts on the other side of the planet. They are currently leading their forces against Tuffle cities. Dogom and Zorn were planning on returning to their posts later today.
Vegeta: Good. I want our armies spread across the entire planet. Most of the Tuffle leadership is dead, after all. They will not be able to stop us. When the full moons appear, we will press our advantage and attack all of their cities at once.
Layeeck: Uh, what advantage is that?
Vegeta: I do not know. But the Tuffles were hiding those moons for a reason. Their General almost gave up everything just to keep them concealed. I think it will be important. Plus, our Saiyan history tells us that we become great warriors when the full moons are out. I plan on using this to our advantage.
Vegeta: The full moons will appear in about a week. Let all of the other commanders know this. On the night of the full moon, tell them to have their armies ready.
Layeeck: I’ll let them know, sire.
<LAYEECK RUNS OFF; VEGETA TURNS TO CYLERIA, STUDYING HER; SHE IS FROWNING AT VEGETA AND HAS HER ARMS CROSSED, CONCEALING HER BREASTS FROM HIM>
Vegeta: You have a good mate there in Layeeck. He is a strong and capable warrior, and a good friend too. You are lucky to have met someone with such an honorable bloodline. When this war is done, he will become one of my most powerful advisors. He will help me rule my kingdom, and I will treat you and your offspring as family, I swear it.
Cyleria: Who said we were mates?
Vegeta: <CHUCKLES> I can see it in your eyes.
<CUTS TO THE BATTLES RAGING ACROSS THE PLANET; THE CAMERA FLIES THROUGH RATHER QUICKLY, NOT GIVING ANY OF THE BATTLES MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS OF ATTENTION; THE SAIYANS ARE MOSTLY BESIEGING TUFFLE CITIES WHILE TUFFLE ARMIES EITHER FIGHT THEM FROM THE WALLS OF THEIR FORTRESSES OR HIDE BEHIND ENERGY BARRIERS; SOME BATTLES ARE TAKING PLACE ON THE OPEN DESERTS OF THE PLANET, AND THESE ARE PARTICULARLY BLOODY; TUFFLE CIVILIANS CAN BE SEEN BEING LED OUT OF ONE OF THE CITIES BY NIVALUS; THE CAMERA SHOWS HIM TAKING THEM TO A NEARBY UNDERGROUND ARMORED BUNKER, WHICH IS ABOUT TWELVE FEET UNDER THE SURFACE OF THE PLANET; IN THE BACKGROUND, SAIYANS AND TUFFLES ARE FIGHTING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CITY>
<SEVERAL DAYS PASS AS THE WAR CONTINUES; NOW A WEEK FROM WHEN VEGETA AND LAYEECK LAST SPOKE, THE MOONS ARE SHOWN TO BE ALMOST FULL CIRCLES>
<VEGETA IS SPARRING ON A MOUNTAINTOP WITH SEVERAL SAIYANS, INCLUDING KUSA AND LASCON; HE SEEMS TO BE MUCH MORE POWERFUL THAN HE WAS BEFORE AMANITO CAPTURED HIM, AS HE CAN TAKE ON EVERYONE AT ONCE WITH EASE; AS THE SUN BEGINS TO SET, VEGETA NOTICES THE MOONS IN THE SKY; THEY APPEAR TO BOTH BE FULL; HE RAISES A GLOVED HAND AND THE OTHERS ALL STOP>
Vegeta: <MOTIONING TO THE SKY WITH THRUST OF HIS CHIN> Look, brothers. It’s time.
<CUTS TO AMANITO>
Amanito: <AMANITO IS STANDING ON THE SAME BALCONY THAT HE WAS IN HIS LAST SCENE; HE HAS NIVALUS ON LEFT GAUNTLET PORT AS A HOLOGRAM; BELOW AMANITO, THE STREETS ARE FULL OF EVACUATING CIVILIANS; A GREAT GOLDEN STATUE OF AMANITO CAN BE SEEN IN THE CENTER OF THE STREETS; AMANITO IS POSING REGALLY IN ALL HIS ARMOR IN THE STATUE; HE LOOKS FAR YOUNGER THAN HE DOES NOW; THE CIVILIANS ARE ALL MAKING THEIR WAY PAST THE STATUE> The full moons are here. It’s going to happen tonight. How many civilians have you taken to the bunkers, soldier?
Nivalus: Father, we have about half of the population underground. But the Saiyans have impeded my progress! They are assaulting the remaining cities from all sides. I have a small group of civilians with me, but I can’t get anyone else out safely.
Amanito: Very well. Get yourself to a bunker and stay put for the rest of the night.
Nivalus: Will you be joining me, father?
Amanito: The Saiyans killed all of the most experienced Tuffle commanders. All that remains is myself. I must stay behind and make sure I get everyone in my city to safety first. Once everyone we can save is underground, I will join you. I promise you that.
Nivalus: Okay, father. I’ll see you then.
Amanito: <NODS> And Nivalus, I… I… <AMANITO CAN’T FIND THE WORDS HE WANTS TO SAY> I… want you to stay safe. Please. Don’t get yourself killed out there. <HE ENDS THE COMMUNICATION, THEN PUTS HIS HEAD IN HIS HAND; TO HIMSELF> What have I gotten myself into?
<CUTS BACK TO VEGETA, WHO IS MARCHING HIS ARMY UP TO A TUFFLE CITY; THE SUN IS SETTING, BUT IT IS STILL LIGHT OUT; THE ARMY REACHES THE OUTSIDE OF THE CITY; THE CITY HAS ENERGY SHIELDING AROUND IT; FROM WHAT CAN BE SEEN OF THE CITY, IT IS CLEAR THAT THIS IS THE ONE THAT AMANITO IS STAYING IN>
<VEGETA MOVES FORWARD FROM THE ARMY BEHIND HIM; KUSA AND LASCON ARE THE ONLY NAMED SAIYANS WITH VEGETA; VEGETA STARES AT THE STARS HE CAN NOW SEE TWINKLING IN THE SKY AS IT GETS CLOSER AND CLOSER TO NIGHT>
Vegeta: <DROPS TO HIS KNEES EVEN AS HE CONTINUES TO STARE AT THE SKY; IN HIS MIND> Father… brother… I know you are up there looking down on me. Give me the courage to see this battle through and I promise, I will destroy the Tuffles, just like you both wanted. Just like you both tried to do. <TEARS COME TO VEGETA’S EYES; HE DOES NOT WIPE THEM AWAY> This is for you, father and brother. I will not let your deaths be in vain. <PERHAPS NOT DIRECTED AT HIS FAMILY> Please let that old woman be right. <HE PEERS AT THE NEAREST MOON WHICH IS STARTING TO GET BRIGHTER IN THE DIMMING SKY> Help us overcome our enemy this day. Please.
<VEGETA STANDS UP AND LOOKS BACK AT HIS SOLDIERS STANDING BEHIND HIM; THEY ARE STILL, SILENT, WAITING TO STRIKE>
<CUE We Made This War>
Vegeta: Brothers, sisters, fellow warriors! Tonight we take back what is ours from these Tuffle dogs! Too long have they lived in their cities, feasting and partying while we lived in squalor! They drove us into the badlands, forcing us scratch livings in the heat and desolation with barely enough food or water to survive. No more! Tonight, we take back our planet! Tonight, we show those Tuffle fools the true might of the Saiyan race!
<AMANITO, SURROUNDED BY HIS OWN TUFFLE ARMY, WATCH THIS FROM THE WALLS OF THE CITY, BEHIND THE SAFETY OF THE ENERGY BARRIERS; THE CAMERA FOCUSES IN ON SEVERAL TUFFLES, SHOWING THAT SOME OF THEM ARE WORRIED AS THEY WATCH VEGETA GIVE HIS SPEECH, WHILE OTHERS ARE UNCONCERNED; AMANITO HIMSELF IS MERELY FROWNING; BEHIND THE SOLDIERS, TUFFLE CIVILIANS HAVE FORMED LINES AND ARE MOVING OUT OF A BACK ENTRANCE OF THE CITY INTO UNDERGROUND BUNKERS NOT FAR OUTSIDE THE PROTECTIVE WALLS>
<We Made This War REACHES 1:09 NOW>
<CUTS BACK TO VEGETA’S ARMY; THEY BEGIN TO CHEER LOUDLY; THEY RAISE THEIR FISTS INTO THE AIR AND ROAR AGAIN IN APPROVAL OF WHAT VEGETA SAID>
Vegeta: This war will only be over once every Tuffle is dead! Come with me, brothers and sisters, into war! Come with me and finish this fight! Let’s show these Tuffles that all that awaits them is death!
All Saiyans: <RAISING THEIR FISTS; SOME BEAT THEIR CHESTS> Death!!
Vegeta: <SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS> Death!!!
All Saiyans: <SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS> Death!!!
<We Made This War REACHES 1:36 NOW>
<THE LAST LIGHT OF DAY VANISHES; THE MOONS SHINE BRIGHT IN THE SKY; VEGETA STOPS HIS SCREAM AS HIS EYES LOCK ONTO THE BRIGHT LIGHT OF THE NEAREST MOON; HIS MOUTH OPENS SLIGHTLY; THE OTHER SAIYANS SEE THE BRIGHT MOON AS WELL AND THEY STARE AT IT; ALL OF THE SAIYANS JUST STAND THERE, SILENT AND STILL, A HUGE DEPARTURE FROM ALL THE NOISE THEY WERE MAKING SECONDS BEFOREHAND>
<CUTS BACK TO AMANITO>
Amanito: What’s happening? <HE LOOKS AROUND> What’s going on?!
<CUTS BACK TO THE SAIYANS>
<VEGETA IS BREATHING VERY QUICKLY, THOUGH HE IS STILL LOOKING AT THE MOON; SUDDENLY, HIS MUSCLES STARTS TO TWITCH AND EXPAND; VEGETA’S CLOTHES TEAR AND BREAK AS HIS ENTIRE BODY GETS LARGER AND THICKER AND MORE MUSCULAR; HIS TEETH ELONGATE AND HIS FACE EXPANDS INTO A SORT OF SNOUT; THICK FUR BEGINS TO SPROUT UP ALL OVER HIS BODY, SOON COVERING ALMOST ALL OF IT; VEGETA’S BODY STARTS TO GROW UPWARDS TOO, AND SOON HE IS MUCH TALLER THAN HE WAS PREVIOUSLY, TOWERING OVER THE BATTLEFIELD; HIS EYES GO RED AND THEN VEGETA ROARS; HE STRETCHES HIS NECK, GROWLS, AND LOOKS AROUND; BEHIND HIM, ALL OF THE OTHER SAIYANS ARE TRANSFORMING INTO GREAT APES AS WELL; VEGETA LOOKS AT THE CITY AHEAD OF HIM AND BELLOWS SO LOUDLY THAT THE GROUND ITSELF SHAKES; HE STEPS FORWARD TO CONFRONT THE TUFFLES>
<BEHIND THEIR ENERGY SHIELDING, THE TUFFLE SOLDIERS RECOIL, GASP, AND SCREAM; AMANITO DOES NOT MOVE AND HIS EXPRESSION DOES NOT CHANGE; HE TURNS AROUND AND LOOKS AT THE LINES OF CIVILIANS LINING THE STREETS, FLEEING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION; THEY ARE SHOWN EXITING OUT OF A BACK ENTRANCE TO THE CITY AND MAKING THEIR WAY TO ANOTHER UNDERGROUND BUNKER>
Amanito: So the legends were true after all. <AMANITO CALLS A SOLDIER ON HIS COMMUNICATION DEVICE ON HIS LEFT GAUNTLET; THIS SOLDIER IS NOT NIVALUS, HOWEVER> Status report! How long until my people are in the bunkers?
Tuffle 3: An hour at best, General Amanito.
Amanito: Very well. <TAKES HIS RIFLE OUT OF ITS HOLSTER> Until then, we’ll give these monsters hell.
<END OF We Made This War>
<CUE The Last Stand>
<THE CAMERA QUICKLY CYCLES THROUGH ALL OF THE SAIYAN ARMIES, SHOWING VEGETA’S, NAPPA’S, DOGOM’S, ZORN’S, AND PARAGUS’ ALL TURNING INTO GREAT APES; MANY OF THEM WERE ACTIVELY ENGAGING TUFFLES WHEN THEIR TRANSFORMATIONS BEGIN; THE TUFFLES WITNESSING THIS DROP THEIR WEAPONS IN HORROR; MANY BEGIN FLEEING; NAPPA IS SHOWN BRIEFLY AS HE STARES AT THE MOON AND BEGINS TO TRANSFORM; ZORN, LAYEECK, AND CYLERIA ARE STANDING SIDE BY SIDE AS THEY STARE AT THE OTHER MOON ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET; DOGOM, AUBERE, AND OCRA ARE ALL SHOWN TRANSFORMING AS THEY ARE IN THE MIDST OF BATTLE; WITH PARAGUS’ ARMY, WHICH WAS HEAVILY ENGAGED WITH A TUFFLE FORCE IN AN OVERRUN TUFFLE CITY, SEVERAL UNNAMED SAIYANS ARE SHOWN AS THEY BEGIN TO TRANSFORM; CURIOUSLY, TWO OF THEM LOOK QUITE SIMILAR TO YOUNGER VERSIONS OF BARDOCK AND TOMA, BUT, OF COURSE, WE CAN’T BE SURE IT IS THEM; PARAGUS IS ALSO SHOWN IN THE LATTER STAGES OF HIS TRANSFORMATION; SOON, ALL OF THE SAIYANS ON PLANET VEGETA ARE GREAT APES. DUE TO THERE BEING A FULL MOON ON EACH SIDE OF THE PLANET>
<The Last Stand REACHES 0:34 NOW>
<THE CAMERA MOVES QUICKLY THROUGH DIFFERENT REGIONS AS GREAT APE SAIYANS OVERWHELM TUFFLE FORCES; SOME TUFFLES TRY TO FIGHT BACK, BUT THEY ARE OBLITERATED BY GREAT APE MOUTH BEAMS AND OTHER GREAT APES CHARGING THEM AND KILLING THEM WITH PHYSICAL ATTACKS; TUFFLE CITIES ARE SHOWN TO BE BURNING EVERYWHERE; A MECH COVERED IN FLAMES MALFUNCTIONS AND FALLS ON TUFFLE SOLDIERS BEHIND IT; TUFFLE SOLDIERS ARE SEEN RETREATING FROM GREAT APES, BUT THEY ARE WIPED OUT WITH EASE; THE EXPLOSIONS GOING OFF DESTROY MUCH OF THE LANDSCAPE, REVEALING THE UNDERGROUND BUNKERS HOUSING MANY TUFFLE CIVILIANS; THE SAIYANS ARE MERCILESS AS THEY WIPE OUT EVERY LAST TUFFLE MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD>
<DOGOM AND THE SAIYANS OF HIS TRIBE ARE CAUSING VERY MUCH THE SAME DESTRUCTION TO HIS TARGET CITY AS THE OTHERS, DEMOLISHING BUILDINGS AND WIPING OUT TUFFLE INFANTRY AND VEHICLES WITH BOTH MOUTH ENERGY WAVES AND MELEE ATTACKS; A FOOLISH MECH PILOT, IN A MECH THAT WOULD NORMALLY TAKE OUT MULTIPLE SAIYANS SINGLE-HANDEDLY, DECIDES NOT TO BACKPEDAL AND INSTEAD CHALLENGES DOGOM HEAD-ON; OF COURSE, THE MECH’S ATTACKS ONLY CAUSE MINOR BURNS AND CUTS TO ITS ENEMY, AND IT ISN’T LONG BEFORE DOGOM GRABS THE VEHICLE WITH BOTH OF HIS HANDS, AND THEN TOSSES IT ABOVE HIS HEAD; DOGOM JUMPS INTO THE MECH WITH HIS HEAD, IMMEDIATELY BREAKING ITS ENERGY SHIELDING AND KNOCKING IT FURTHER UPWARDS DOGOM HITS THE MECH WITH HIS HEAD AGAIN, AND THEN THROWS A PUNCH, SHATTERING THE VEHICLE, BREAKING IT INTO DOZENS OF PIECES>
<OTHER TUFFLE CIVILIANS ARE RETREATING FROM CITIES IN ORGANIZED LINES, COURTESY OF NIVALUS AND HIS HELPERS; AFTER THE SAIYANS OF ZORN’S ARMY OVERWHELM THE CITY DEFENSES NEAR THESE CIVILIANS, THEY RUSH FORWARD INTO THE METROPOLISES AND BEGIN TO RAZE THEM; WHAT TUFFLE DEFENSES REMAIN DO TRY TO CHALLENGE THE SAIYANS, BUT THEY ARE KILLED BEFORE THEY CAN DO MUCH; SOME OF THE GREAT APES NOTICE THE RETREATING CIVILIANS AND LEAVE THE CITIES TO KILL THEM>
<The Last Stand REACHES 1:00 NOW>
<THE CAMERA JUMPS BACK BETWEEN A VIEW OF THE PLANET FROM SPACE AND VIEWS OF THE BATTLES GOING ON FROM THE SURFACE; MASSIVE KI EXPLOSIONS ARE GOING OFF EVERYWHERE; IT’S AS IF THE ENTIRE PLANET IS ON FIRE; FROM A CLOSER VIEW, GREAT APES ARE SEEN DEMOLISHING TUFFLE CITIES AND KILLING ALL WHO STAND IN THEIR WAY; SOME ERRANT KI BLASTS DESTROY UNDERGROUND BUNKERS, BUT MANY OF THE BUNKERS ARE BEING FOUND BY GREAT APES BECAUSE CIVILIANS ARE STILL FLEEING INTO THEM; OPEN HATCHES IN THE GROUND SOON TURN INTO CRATERS WITH THE THOUSANDS AND MILLIONS OF CIVILIANS INSIDE BEING INSTANTLY INCINERATED>
<PARAGUS’ GROUP IS FIGHTING IN DAYLIGHT IN A CANYON REGION WITH A FEW TUFFLE CITIES; THEY SPLIT OFF TO ALL OF THE DIFFERENT CITIES, RUNNING OVER THE TUFFLE INFANTRY ON THE GROUND; THE TUFFLES SHOOT UP AT THE GREAT APES, BUT THE SAIYANS DON’T SEEM TO FEEL THEIR ATTACKS AND PUSH ON TO THE CITIES; ONCE THERE, THEY CREATE SEVERAL LARGE KI BALLS WHICH THEY THEN FLING INTO THE CENTER OF THE METROPOLISES, CAUSING THE ENTIRE CITIES TO EXPLODE IN WHITE LIGHT; OTHER GREAT APES CLEAN UP THE RETREATING CIVILIANS AND DEFIANT TUFFLE SOLDIERS IN THE AREA>
<AGAINST NAPPA AND HIS ARMY, THE TUFFLES PUT UP THEIR BEST DEFENSES, BRINGING FORTH ALL OF THEIR MECHS, VEHICLES, TURRETS, AND BEST TROOPS; THEY CONCENTRATE FIRE ON SEVERAL GREAT APES AND EVEN MANAGE TO KILL A FEW, BUT ONCE THEY GET THE ATTENTION OF SOME OF THE GREAT APES, THEY ARE ALL EXTERMINATED BY KI BLASTS; A TUFFLE COMMANDER WATCHES IN HORROR AS HIS BEST REMAINING TROOPS ARE EASILY KILLED; THE TUFFLE DEFENSES ARE CRUMBLING AND THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO>
<The Last Stand REACHES 1:32 NOW>
<THE CAMERA CUTS TO AMANITO, WHO IS FLOATING IN THE AIR WITH HIS ARMS CROSSED; HE HAS ENERGY BOOSTERS ON HIS HANDS AND FEET WHICH ALLOW HIM TO FLY; MANY OF HIS ROYAL GUARD HAVE THEIR BOOSTERS ACTIVATED TOO; THEY WATCH AS VEGETA AND HIS ARMY OF GREAT APES MOVE FORWARD TO CHALLENGE HIM; ONCE VEGETA GETS JUST OUTSIDE THE CITY, HE BEATS HIS CHEST AND ROARS; THEN HE AND MANY OF THE OTHERS SHOOT MOUTH BEAMS AT THE CITY’S ENERGY BARRIER, INSTANTLY SHATTERING IT; THEY RUSH INTO THE CITY AND BEGIN TO DESTROY IT; AMANITO’S GUARDS DO THEIR BEST TO HOLD BACK THE TIDE OF GREAT APES, BUT THEY CAN DO LITTLE, EVEN WITH A LARGE HOST OF MECHS AND DEFENSIVE TURRETS; AMANITO FLIES AROUND BUILDINGS, SHOOTING HIS BLASTER AND DODGING GREAT APES UNTIL HE COMES FACE-TO-FACE WITH VEGETA; AMANITO CAN TELL IT’S VEGETA BECAUSE VEGETA IS WEARING HIS SAIYAN CROWN ON HIS HEAD>
Amanito: <SHOUTING OVER THE FIGHTING GOING ON AROUND HIM> So this is it, is it?! We’re here again, Vegeta.
<VEGETA TRIES TO SWAT AMANITO ASIDE, THOUGH AMANITO DODGES IT; VEGETA DESTROYS A LARGE TOWER IN THE PROCESS; AMANITO SHOOTS THE SAIYAN WITH HIS BLASTER, BUT IT DOESN’T DO MUCH DAMAGE TO HIM>
Amanito: You’ve all become beasts! Is this what the great Saiyan race has been reduced to? Mindless animals! Pitiful! You are not the superior race!
<VEGETA GROWLS AND SHOOTS A MOUTH BEAM AT AMANITO, WHO DUCKS DOWN TO THE STREETS TO AVOID IT; THE CITY IS BURNING NOW; SOLDIERS LAY DEAD, AND THOSE WHO STILL LIVE ARE BEING SWIFTLY KILLED BY THE SAIYANS; AMANITO WATCHES, IN A MOMENT OF SERENE DESPAIR, AS HIS SOLDIERS RALLY TOGETHER ONE LAST TIME, FORM A LINE, AND THEN SHOOT ALL OF THEIR ENERGY ATTACKS AT THE GREAT APES; A FEW APES FALL, BUT MOST DO NOT; THE REMAINDER CHARGE THE TUFFLES AND STAMPEDE THEM TO DEATH; THE GREAT APES PUMMEL THEIR MASSIVE FISTS INTO THE GROUND, CREATING CRATERS AND SHOCK WAVES THAT CAUSE NEARBY BUILDINGS TO COLLAPSE; AMANITO SEES CIVILIANS RUNNING ABOUT IN TERROR, SCREAMING AND DYING; SOME ARE ON FIRE, OTHERS ARE STUMBLING THROUGH THE DEBRIS OF A ONCE-PROUD CITY; THEY ARE ALL SOON SQUASHED OR INCINERATED>
<AMANITO TURNS AROUND AND SEES VEGETA BEARING DOWN ON HIM; HE RAISES HIS RIFLE, AIMS DOWN ITS SIGHTS, AND SHOOTS AT VEGETA’S HEAD; THE ENERGY HITS VEGETA, CAUSING HIM TO FALL BACK AGAINST A SKYSCRAPER; HE LOOKS DAZED BY THE ATTACK; WHEN HE STANDS BACK UP, HE LOOKS OVER HIS HANDS AND ARMS AND SEEMS TO BE SLIGHTLY MORE CONSCIOUS THAN BEFORE; HE NOTICES AMANITO AND THEN ROARS AND SHOOTS A FINGER BEAM AT THE TUFFLE BEFORE RUSHING TOWARDS HIM>
<AMANITO’S EYES WIDEN AND HE FLEES AROUND A HALF-DESTROYED BUILDING; HOWEVER, WHEN HE REACHES THE OTHER SIDE, VEGETA IS WAITING THERE FOR HIM; THE TUFFLE GENERAL TRIES TO KILL VEGETA WITH ANOTHER SALVO OF ENERGY BLASTS, BUT THE GREAT APE BLOCKS THEM WITH A SINGLE HAND; THEN, VEGETA REACHES FORWARD AND PLUCKS AMANITO OUT OF THE SKY; HE HOLDS THE TUFFLE TIGHTLY IN BOTH HANDS; AMANITO BEGINS TO SCREAM AS VEGETA CRUSHES THE TUFFLE’S BODY BETWEEN HIS FISTS>
Amanito: <SCREAMING; SPITTING UP BLOOD> AAAHHH!! YOU…! YOU ANIMAL!!!
Vegeta: <BOOMING GREAT APE VOICE> Tuffle dog!
Amanito: <BLOOD RUNNING DOWN HIS CHIN> Y-you can talk?!
Vegeta: <BOOMING GREAT APE VOICE> It’s time you pay for your crimes, Tuffle! For making us live in the cesspools of the badlands while your people lived in comfortable cities! For killing so many of my people in cold blood! For forcing this war upon us! <SEETHING> And most of all, for murdering my brother and stealing his body!! You were a fool for provoking my wrath, Tuffle! Now your species will meet its end!
Amanito: <SCREAMS IN PAIN AS VEGETA SQUEEZES HIM AGAIN> YOU WILL NEVER BE BETTER THAN US!! THIS PLANET BELONGS TO THE TUFFLES!!!
Vegeta: Not anymore. <RAISES AMANITO TO HIS SNOUT> Get off my planet.
<The Last Stand REACHES 2:27 NOW>
<IN SLOW MOTION, VEGETA BITES OFF AMANITO’S HEAD AND THEN SPITS IT OUT, LETTING AMANITO’S BODY FALL FROM HIS FINGERS TO THE BURNING CITY BELOW; VEGETA LOOKS UP AT THE REST OF THE CITY AND SEES ALL OF THE TUFFLES ARE DEAD OR DYING AND THEN READIES A MOUTH BEAM TO FINISH THEM OFF>
<THE CAMERA QUICKLY SHOWS A FEW SHOTS OF THE OTHER SAIYAN ARMIES; THEY HAVE DEFEATED THE TUFFLES; BUNKERS FULL OF CIVILIANS ARE DESTROYED, THE ARMIES ARE ALL ROUTED, THE CITIES ARE BURNING, ALMOST ALL OF THE TUFFLES HAVE DIED; A FEW BUNKERS STILL REMAIN, AND THE GREAT APES ARE SNIFFING THOSE OUT WITH THEIR HEIGHTENED SENSE OF SMELL; ZORN’S ARMY IN PARTICULAR IS HUNTING THESE FORCES DOWN; A GREAT APE IN ZORN’S ARMY STUMBLES UPON ONE OF THE LAST GROUPS OF TUFFLES LEFT; NIVALUS IS LEADING CIVILIANS TOWARDS A BUNKER; THE GREAT APE INTERCEPTS THE TUFFLES; THE SAIYAN STOMPS AND USES KI BLASTS ON THE REMAINING CIVILIANS UNTIL IT IS JUST NIVALUS AND THAT SAIYAN; NIVALUS STEPS BACK, FEAR PLAIN ACROSS HIS FACE; HE ACTIVATES HIS ARMOR’S BOOSTERS AND BEGINS TO FLY AWAY, KEEPING VERY CLOSE TO THE DESERT FLOOR>
<The Last Stand REACHES 2:40 NOW>
<NIVALUS LOOKS BACK OVER HIS SHOULDER AND SEES THE GREAT APE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR IN A GREAT JUMP; HE TRIES TO AVOID THE SAIYAN, BUT HE IS TOO SLOW; SUDDENLY, THE GREAT APE COMES CRASHING DOWN ON NIVALUS, SQUASHING HIM LIKE A BUG>
<AS THE SONG ENDS, THE CAMERA FLIES THROUGH THE DEATH AND DESTRUCTION; NO SOUND CAN BE HEARD; FIRES BURN AND SOME GREAT APES ARE STILL DESTROYING BUILDINGS, BUT THEY ARE MAKING NO SOUND; THE CAMERA THEN MOVES TO THE GREAT GOLDEN STATUE OF AMANITO NEAR THE CENTER OF HIS CITY; AMANITO’S STATUE IS POSING MAJESTICALLY AS FIRES RAGE AND BURN AROUND IT; SMOKE IS BILLOWING EVERYWHERE, ALMOST OBSCURING THE STATUE FROM SIGHT; THE CAMERA THEN ZOOMS IN ON THE STATUE AND SHOWS THAT AT ITS BASE, NEAR THE GOLDEN FEET OF THE TUFFLE GENERAL LIES THE BROKEN AND BLOODY BODY OF THE REAL AMANITO, HEADLESS AND VERY MUCH DEAD>
- Hyper Zergling originally named this chapter "Annihilation". That name is, quite frankly, boring. This is the height of the Saiyan-Tuffle War - the most important moment in the entire story. Simply naming it "Annihilation" is unbelievably uninteresting. I did not reference anything when creating this chapter name, but I think it does a really great job of portraying both the Saiyan and Tuffle perspectives of this war. Both of them see their opponents as the Great Other, and both sides see it as necessary to wipe out the other side for their survival. The phrase, while being rather badass, also implies that both sides are washing their hands of moral responsibility for attempting genocide on an entire species under the excuse that if they do not kill their opponents, it will be their species rendered extinct. This isn't false - if the Tuffles had won, they would have killed off all of the Saiyans too.
- This is the longest chapter in The Great War.
- This chapter took me a very long time to write. I did end up writing almost all of it, as HZ only wrote the short section with Dogom going Great Ape. For the longest time, only the first paragraph (with the Saiyans running at night) existed on paper as I struggled to come up with the other necessary scenes as well as the scene order. I wanted to post this chapter around Christmas 2014, but the difficulty of writing it meant that it wasn't released until January 11, 2015. It's mostly the early scenes that were difficult to conceptualize and write; the battle scenes were far easier for me to come up with.
- The opening of this chapter is one of my favorites and I think it's an opening that was inspired by the way many television shows tend to open.
- Originally the painting of the Great Apes was on a table, but HZ suggested we move it to a wall.
- I imagine the Great Ape painting to look like old Tang Era paintings from China.
- The Great Ape painting serves as foreshadowing to what happens in the latter part of the chapter. It also shows that the Tuffles remember their history better than the Saiyans because they drew pictures and mythologized their past in a more concrete way than the nomadic Saiyan tribes.
- Amanito's anguish is very subtle in the opening scene. He is curt with Nivalus because the Tuffles have been put into a really hard place. Amanito knows that they have lost the war, but he clings onto the hope that his people can survive by going underground - hearkening back to one way the primitive Tuffles escaped the ancient Great Apes. But by doing this, the Tuffles would abandon much of their land and tech and essentially concede the war, as Nivalus puts it. But Amanito realizes that it's more important for his people to survive than for them to win the war with the Saiyans.
- Vegeta returning to the old Saiyan woman is a clear example of his character arc and development.
- I remember spending a ton of time - several days - working out the dialogue between Vegeta and the old Saiyan woman in this chapter. I must've written and re-written that scene four or five times.
- The main point of the scene between Vegeta and the old Saiyan woman is to give Vegeta information on when the moons will become full. He obviously knows nothing about them, so he is in the dark as to when they will make his species invincible. I didn't want them to randomly turn into Great Apes when they were in their camps far away from the Tuffles. The old Saiyan woman gives Vegeta good information as to when the moons will become full, which influences when Vegeta decides to march on the Tuffles.
- A lot of people have long speeches in this chapter, I've noticed. It's not something I do a lot, but I guess it makes sense that there would be a lot in this chapter, considering it's the climax of the story.
- The Ocra/Chaiva cameo was done for no other reason than I really like Ocra. It does make what Layeeck is saying more powerful, though, since the readers can connect with the example he is giving. Also, the scene gives a subtle clue about how Ocra is coping with Artachoc's death.
- Layeeck hints at starting a family with Cyleria to bring their relationship out in the open. Sure, I have been giving subtle hints as to where they have been going throughout the story, but now it was time to have an overt mention for the less astute readers.
- Vegeta's plan to spread his armies across the planet is necessary for the Tuffles to be destroyed in a single night. I don't think it would be possible for a single army to traverse the entire planet in one night and also manage to eradicate all Tuffle life.
- Vegeta's conversation with Cyleria was not originally planned. I added it in after Layeeck left, as I saw the opening - Vegeta and Cyleria were left alone. Vegeta saying he will treat Cyleria's and Layeeck's family as his own family is a cool reference to The Forgotten, as it references why Vegeta chose Ledas to be his son's training partner.
- Vegeta being able to see how much Cyleria loves Layeeck just by looking at her eyes was a cool touch. This story isn't told from a point-of-view, so we can't get those kinds of subtle hints without someone pointing it out in dialogue. This also means that Layeeck doesn't understand that Cyleria likes him back as Vegeta does.
- The underground Tuffle bunkers were a bit of an issue, plotwise. They had to exist - the Tuffles needed a way to escape the Saiyans - but they also needed to be futile. The Great Apes would kill all of the Tuffles in the bunkers anyway. I thought having them be 12 feet underground was the maximum distance for them to be considered safe by the Tuffles and yet be able to be sensed and destroyed by the Saiyans.
- Vegeta is much more powerful than before because Amanito torturing him gave him a zenkai.
- The golden statue of Amanito was shown early in this chapter so that when it is shown again at the end of the chapter, the contrast between the two scenes (not to mention the two Amanitos) is stark.
- Amanito's last message to Nivalus was him trying to tell his son that he loved him, but he couldn't form the words. Amanito is a strict, no-nonsense fellow, and only the seriousness of the situation allows him to show a bit of his softer side even if he doesn't speak his mind fully.
- Vegeta is not a particularly religious man but he does seem to be praying before his speech that precedes the Great Ape transformations. I think this is a bit of him being worried and a bit of the old Saiyan woman rubbing off on him, but I don't think he would consider himself a religious person in the same way that someone who prays to a god as their life is in peril might not be.
- Weeks before we got to this chapter, HZ and I scoured the web searching for the best songs to use during the Great Ape fight. I must've looked at three to four dozen songs on youtube. HZ also looked at quite a few. The only one I was sure about using was "We Made This War". From my first listen-through, I knew it was perfect for when the Saiyans being to transform, but it's not very useful during the battle. This meant that we needed two songs. We spent the vast majority of the time looking for song #2. Eventually, I compiled a list of 10 or so songs and asked HZ to rank them in terms of how good they would be for the Great Ape scene. I also ranked them. The song that we collectively ranked highest won. That is how "The Last Stand" was chosen as song #2. The names and pictures (especially for song #1) did not influence us choosing them. It was 100% based on the sound. That said, the pictures on the videos and the names of the songs definitely compliment this story.
- While writing the lead up to the confrontation between the Saiyans and Tuffles, I listened to "We Made This War" on endless repeat. This was done to keep my mood influenced by the song as I wrote and to make sure the scene matched up to it as well as possible.
- Vegeta and the Saiyans screaming "Death!" is a reference to Theoden's speech in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; the same speech is referenced in chapter 4 both in the text and in the chapter's name.
- I watched Goku's first transformation into a Great Ape in Dragon Ball to help me describe Vegeta's own transformation.
- This chapter is almost exclusively about Vegeta and Amanito. The only time we really show the others fighting is during the Great Ape battle; this was done on purpose.
- I watched King Kai's scene about the Saiyan-Tuffle War to gain inspiration for the fight.
- There isn't much to say about the actual battles. I tried to vary up the scenery and some of the foes/ways the battles went, but in the end, the Tuffles were annihilated. It was fun to have them be obliterated in every scene after so many stalemates in the previous chapters.
- The only problem with "The Last Stand" is that it is a relatively short track - just a bit under 3 minutes. This meant the scenes had to progress quickly. We don't get to Vegeta and Amanito until 1:32 into it.
- We realized we had a problem with identifying the Saiyans after they became Great Apes. That is why Vegeta is wearing his crown. For the other characters, we would show remnants of clothing to distinguish them (which would be obvious as we show them transforming). Of course, these problems will only exist if this story ever gets a manga/anime.
- Vegeta tells Amanito that the thing he hates the Tuffles most for is them killing his brother and taking his body - not that the Tuffles forced the Saiyans to live in the badlands or anything else. Of course, he cares about his people and their oppression, but his family matters most to Vegeta.
- Vegeta saying "Get off my planet" is a reference to this. Banas says this same line (as Vegeta) to the PTO rebels in the Lauto Saga of The Forgotten.
- The Saiyans found the Tuffles in the underground bunkers by use of their extremely sensitive noses (a common Saiyan trait).
- In my universe, Nivalus is the last Tuffle to be killed in the war (thus, the last Tuffle in existence).
- The mysterious Great Ape who killed Nivalus is Layeeck. I wanted my guy to kill at least one named Tuffle, since HZ's got to kill two (one more than his characters truly deserved). Because of that I gave Layeeck a named Tuffle to kill who is also the last Tuffle in existence.
- The main reason I showed Amanito's statue at the end is I thought it was a cool image (when it popped into my head). It's a great image to end the chapter because it shows the splendor and ruin of the Tuffles at once; their hubris and vulnerability exists together in the end.
11. New Arcose
<LATE 731 AGE>
<THE CAMERA FADES INTO FOCUS ON A GOLDEN STATUE; THIS STATUE IS IN THE SAME PLACE AS AMANITO’S WAS AT THE END OF THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER, BUT THE STATUE IS NOT OF AMANITO ANY LONGER; INSTEAD, IT IS A FIGURE OF VEGETA POSING WITH HIS ARMS CROSSED; THE TUFFLE CITY IS NO LONGER DESTROYED; IT IS BUSTLING WITH LIFE ON A WARM SUNNY DAY>
Vegeta: It was over. We had won the war. The Tuffles were gone. We rebuilt the Saiyan empire on the ruins of a once-proud society, taking the Tuffle cities as our new homes. I was formally named the king, and the planet itself was named after me for my role in leading our people to victory.
<THE CAMERA SHOWS SAIYANS LIVING IN OLD TUFFLE CITIES; THEY HAVE REBUILT THE CITIES AND THE BUILDINGS LOOK DIFFERENT THAN THE TUFFLES’; THE BUILDINGS AND ROADS AND WALLS ARE MORE ROUGHLY-MADE THAN THE TUFFLES’ VERSIONS OF ALL OF THOSE THINGS AND THERE IS STILL WAR DAMAGE CLEARLY EVIDENT; IN FACT, SEVERAL BUILDINGS ARE SHOWN COLLAPSING, EITHER FROM POOR CONSTRUCTION OR FROM PREVIOUS WAR DAMAGE; THE CITIES ARE ALL CLOSE TO BECOMING RUINS; THE CAMERA SHOWS THAT THE CITIES ARE PRETTY LIVELY NOW; MANY SAIYANS LIVE IN A VARIETY OF PLACES ACROSS THE PLANET, BE THEY IN BIG CITIES OR IN SMALLER TOWNS; SOME SAIYANS CAN BE SEEN BUYING FOOD AT A MARKETPLACE, WHILE OTHERS ARE SHOWN SPARRING WITH ONE ANOTHER, AND ANOTHER GROUP IS SITTING AROUND A FIRE CONVERSING AND LAUGHING AND HAVING A GOOD TIME>
Vegeta: We did not just rebuild cities, but our population as well. <THE CAMERA SHOWS VEGETA IN REGAL SAIYAN FURS WITH A LONG ANIMAL SKIN CAPE; HE IS STANDING ON THE STEPS OF HIS PALACE WITH KUSA; KUSA IS PREGNANT; MANY SAIYANS AT THE FOOT OF THE PALACE STEPS ARE SHOWN KNEELING TO THE ROYAL FAMILY, INCLUDING LAYEECK AND CYLERIA, THOUGH CYLERIA IS BITING HER LIPS AND FROWNING> Without any Tuffles left to fight, the Saiyan race began to grow again. Our numbers swelled. More babies were being born everyday.
<AUBERE AND DOGOM CAN BE SEEN WITH THEIR YOUNG SON, CUBER; DOGOM IS SHOWN TEACHING CUBER HOW TO FIGHT, THOUGH SINCE THE BOY IS SO YOUNG, THEY AREN’T SPARRING TOO SERIOUSLY; OCRA IS SHOWN WITH HER DAUGHTER CHAIVA; THEY ARE EATING MEAT OFF THE BONE TOGETHER AS THEY SIT AROUND A FIRE>
Vegeta: Yet even though we had just won a long and bitter war, many of our people were beginning to grow restless. They had grown accustomed to war, and they wanted nothing more than to feel the thrill of battle once again. And with the Tuffles gone, there was no one left to fight but ourselves. As king, it was my duty to stop this. <PAUSE – PANEL BREAK> I would not let a civil war crush our race when we were in such a fragile state.
<NAPPA IS SHOWN TAKING PART IN A BRAWL IN THE STREETS; ZORN AND PARAGUS ARE SHOWN KILLING SOME SAIYAN RABBLE-ROUSERS IN THE STREETS OF THE ROYAL CITY; THERE IS NOT WIDESPREAD CHAOS, BUT MANY SAIYANS SEEM TO WANT TO FIGHT; MANY WHO WATCH PARAGUS AND ZORN KILL THE SAIYAN AGITATORS SEEM TO WANT TO FIGHT AS WELL BY RAISING THEIR FISTS AND SHOUTING AT THE SAIYAN ELITES; ZORN AND PARAGUS LOOK AT ONE ANOTHER IN DISMAY; THEY CLEARLY DO NOT WANT TO FIGHT SO MANY SAIYANS AT ONCE>
Vegeta: There would have been more bloodshed had I not taken our species to the stars. So I had our best scientists devote all of their time to creating ships that could leave our planet and travel elsewhere. They worked tirelessly for weeks until we had our first prototypes ready. I did not wait any longer. I packed up all of the most bloodthirsty warriors and sent them away. We all had a desire to fight, and so on other worlds, we would be able to satisfy that desire. When battle-weariness came to us, we returned home; when the desire to fight and kill was fresh in our minds, we set off once again. This was my design. It was the only thing that prevented us from destroying one another.
<THE SAIYANS ARE SHOWN CONSTRUCTING ROCKET SHIPS IN A FOREST REGION, SIMILAR TO THE SCENE SHOWN IN THE KING KAI FLASHBACK ABOUT THE SAIYANS’ HISTORY; ONCE SEVERAL OF THESE SPACE SHIPS ARE CONSTRUCTED, THEY TAKE OFF WITH MANY WARRIORS INSIDE>
<THE ROCKET SHIPS TAKE THE SAIYANS TO NEARBY PLANETS; THEY ARE SHOWN DISEMBARKING AND THEN ATTACKING THE NATIVE SPECIES ON EACH PLANET; THE BATTLES ARE NOT SHOWN IN GREAT DETAIL, BUT A FEW OF THE NAMED SAIYANS ARE SHOWN; NAPPA IN PARTICULAR IS FOLLOWED BY THE CAMERA AS HE OBLITERATES AN ENTIRE SPECIES WITH HIS WHITE ENERGY EXPLOSIONS AND BEAM ATTACKS>
<OTHER SAIYANS, INCLUDING VEGETA HIMSELF, ARE SHOWN FIGHTING VARIOUS ALIENS ON SOME PLANETS; THOUSANDS, IF NOT TENS OF THOUSANDS OF WARRIORS BEGIN TO TAKE TRIPS TO OTHER PLANETS TO CONQUER THEM>
Vegeta: And so, as we conquered more and more worlds and gained more and more power, we caught the attention of the Arcosians.
<CUTS TO A PLANET THAT VEGETA, LAYEECK, CYLERIA, NAPPA, AND OCRA ARE ON; THERE ARE A FEW UNNAMED SAIYANS WITH THEM AS WELL; THE PLANET IS A GREAT RAINFOREST AND IT IS QUITE FOGGY>
Nappa: Heh, these fools weren’t worth the trouble! <HE KICKS A CORPSE AND LAUGHS> I could’ve killed these guys in my sleep!
Ocra: What did you expect? They weren’t warriors like us.
Layeeck: There’s no other races like the Saiyans. We are the greatest warriors in the universe!
Vegeta: <NODS> Soon every planet will know who we are, brothers.
<SUDDENLY, A LOUD ROARING SOUND CAN BE HEARD FROM BEHIND THE GROUP; THEY TURN AROUND TO SEE A SPACECRAFT COME SHOOTING DOWN FROM THE SKY; IT LANDS NOT TOO FAR AWAY FROM THEM, CRUSHING A FEW TREES AS IT LANDS>
<OUT FROM THE SHIP COME SEVERAL BEINGS; THEY ARE ALL SHORTER THAN THE SAIYANS AND THEY ARE WEARING WHITE ROBES, HEAVY DARK CLOTHES UNDERNEATH, AND MASKS WITH RED EYES; THEIR FEATURES ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY OBSCURED; THEY APPROACH THE SAIYANS CALMLY>
<THE SAIYANS DROP INTO DEFENSIVE STANCES; NAPPA AND LAYEECK START WARMING UP ENERGY ATTACKS>
Vegeta: <CAUTIOUSLY> Who goes there?
Arcosian 1: <RAISES BOTH HANDS OVER HEAD> Please, don’t shoot us!
Ocra: What do you want?!
Arcosian 1: <KEEPS HANDS RAISED AS IT MOVES FORWARD; ONCE IT AND THE OTHER ARCOSIANS HAVE REACHED VEGETA’S GROUP, IT LOWERS ITS HANDS AND PUTS ONE OUT, AS IF TO SHAKE THE SAIYAN KING’S HAND> Greetings, warriors. We are the Arcosians. We have been watching your race attack and overwhelm many planets these past few months. Your combat skills are truly impressive. It appears you have been completely unstoppable on all of the planets you have invaded. <ITS HEAD TWITCHES> Because of this, we wish to do business with your kind. What do you say?
Vegeta: And what business is that?
Arcosian 1: Our homeworld, Arcose, is a dump. We need a new place to live. You are all capable warriors. Please conquer an adequate planet for us.
Nappa: What’s in it for us, eh?!
Arcosian 1: <LOOKING TOWARDS NAPPA; THEN, IT CLICKS ITS FINGERS AND ANOTHER ARCOSIAN RUSHES FORWARD WITH A LARGE BOX; THE SECOND ARCOSIAN OPENS IT AND REVEALS PILES OF GOLD COINS INSIDE> We will pay you handsomely for helping us. And if you prove yourselves, there may be additional rewards. <IT LOOKS OVER AT VEGETA’S NEARBY ROCKET AND POINTS> We can give you better spaceships, better technology, and better armor to make your race the perfect warriors. What do you say? We need an answer now.
Vegeta: <LOOKS BACK AT HIS PEOPLE; HE SEES LAYEECK NOD AND THEN TURNS BACK AROUND; SLOWLY> All right. We’ll do it.
Arcosian 1: One more thing, warrior. We would like to know the name of your species before we begin this partnership.
Vegeta: <PROUDLY, WITH A THRUST OF HIS CHIN> We are the Saiyans… the greatest warriors in the universe!
<CUTS TO A DESERT WORLD>
<VEGETA’S FORCES LAND ON THE PLANET IN TWO ROCKET SHIPS; OUT OF HIS SHIP COMES NAPPA, LAYEECK, CYLERIA, OCRA, A DOZEN SOLDIERS, AND HIMSELF; OUT OF THE OTHER COMES DOGOM, AUBERE, ZORN, PARAGUS, AND TWO DOZEN SOLDIERS>
<THEY ATTACK THE NATIVE ALIENS, WHO LIVE IN SOMEWHAT ADVANCED CITY-STATES ACROSS THE DESERT WORLD; THE ALIENS ARE SMALL AND BROWN-SKINNED WITH LARGE RED EYES AND YELLOW LIPS; THEY ARE HAIRLESS AND LOOK TO HAVE REPTILIAN SKIN>
<THE SAIYAN ASSAULT IS SWIFT AND BRUTAL; THE NATIVES ARE QUITE WEAK AND THEIR MILITARY DEFENSES ARE NOT VERY STRONG; EVEN UNNAMED SAIYANS CAN WIPE OUT NATIVE CITIES WITH EASE; THE CAMERA SHOWS THE DEVASTATION AND MOVES CLOSER TO SHOW SOME OF THE NAMED SAIYANS CLEARING THE WORLD OF LIFE>
<PARAGUS IS IN CLOSE QUARTERS WITH SOME NATIVES; INSTEAD OF USING PHYSICAL ATTACKS, HE USES A FEW MEDIUM-SIZED KI BLASTS ON THEM, BLASTING THEM TO MEATY BITS; ZORN IS SHOWN FLYING IN THE AIR, RAINING DOWN ENERGY BEAMS ON NATIVE SETTLEMENTS, CAUSING THEM TO GO UP IN FLAMES AND SMOKE; NAPPA IS SHOWN SURROUNDED BY THE REPTILIAN ALIENS; AS SOME BEGIN TO CHARGE HIM AND OTHERS SHOOT THEIR BALLISTIC WEAPONRY AT HIM, THE BRUTE POUNDS HIS CHEST AND THEN LAUGHS AS HE CREATES A FLURRY OF KI EXPLOSIONS THAT INCINERATE EVERYTHING AROUND HIM>
<LAYEECK IS SEEN DEFLECTING THE NATIVES’ ATTACKS WITH A SMALL PINK CIRCLE OF KI; THIS KI REFLECTOR SHOOTS THE ATTACKS BACK AT LAYEECK’S OPPONENTS, KILLING MANY OF THEM; WHEN MORE ATTACK THE SAIYAN, HE ROLLS TO HIS LEFT AND THEN FORMS A KYORRA FLASH IN EITHER HAND; THEN, HE SPINS IN A CIRCLE AND FIRES BOTH BEAMS, WIPING OUT THE OPPONENTS ON ALL SIDES OF HIM; CYLERIA WILD SENSES OUT OF THE WAY OF SEVERAL ALIENS WHO ARE SHOOTING THEIR WEAPONS AT HER; SHE IS IN A CITY, SO SHE USES THE BUILDINGS TO HER ADVANTAGE; AS THE ALIENS WONDER WHERE SHE HAS GONE, CYLERIA SPRINGS OUT FROM BEHIND A LARGE BUILDING AND SHOOTS A GREEN ENERGY BLAST FROM HER MOUTH AT THE CREATURES; THE ATTACK EXPLODES WHEN IT HITS THE GROUP, INSTANTLY KILLING MOST OF THEM; THOSE WHO SURVIVE ARE QUICKLY COVERED IN THE REMNANTS OF THE GREEN ENERGY WHICH THEN BURNS THEM TO DEATH; CYLERIA TURNS AROUND AND SEES MORE OF THE ALIENS BEHIND HER; SHE SPRINTS TOWARDS THEM, PUNCHING THEM AND KICKING THEM TO DEATH RATHER BRUTALLY; ANY WHO TRY TO OPPOSE HER HAVE THEIR ARMS OR HEADS RIPPED OFF>
<DOGOM IS HOVERING, WITH HIS HANDS NEXT TO HIM AT FORTY-FIVE-DEGREE ANGLES FROM HIS BODY, UNLEASHING AN EXPLOSIVE WAVE IN ALL DIRECTIONS; BODIES CAN BE SEEN IN THE BACKGROUND, BUT THEY ARE TOO FADED TO IDENTIFY CLEARLY, DUE TO THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE EXPLOSION CREATED BY DOGOM; OCRA IS IN THE SKY, WITH HER ARMS RAISED, SUPPORTING A LARGE ENERGY SPHERE>
<VEGETA WATCHES THE OTHER SAIYANS FIGHTING FOR A WHILE; MANY UNNAMED SAIYANS STREAM INTO THE CITIES AND BUTCHER THE NATIVES; AS VEGETA SURVEYS THIS FROM ABOUT FIFTY FEET IN THE AIR, HE SEES AN ARMY OF THE NATIVES COMING TOWARDS HIS SOLDIERS; HE AIR DASHES OVER TO THE ARMY AND THEN SLAMS HIS FIST INTO THE GROUND, CREATING A SHOCK WAVE THAT KNOCKS ALL OF THE ALIENS TO THE GROUND; THE ALIENS CLOSEST TO THE SHOCK WAVE ARE RIPPED TO PIECES BY THE FORCE OF THE ATTACK; VEGETA STANDS BACK UP AND LOOKS AROUND AT THE DAZED ARMY; ONE SOLDIER STUMBLES TOWARDS VEGETA, BUT THE SAIYAN EXPERTLY DODGES ITS PUNCH, SLIPS AROUND BEHIND IT, AND BREAKS ITS NECK; THEN, HE CREATES A ROYAL GALICK GUN AND FIRES IT AT THE REMAINING ALIENS; AS SOON AS THE ATTACK HITS ONE OF THEM, A GREAT EXPLOSION OF LIGHT AND SMOKE COVERS THE SCENE>
<WHEN THE CAMERA FADES BACK INTO FOCUS, IT IS LATER IN THE DAY; THERE IS DEATH AND CARNAGE EVERYWHERE; THE CITIES ARE LEVELED AND SMOKE IS STILL RISING; THE BODIES OF THE NATIVES ARE STREWN ABOUT EVERYWHERE, MANY OF THEM SEPARATED FROM ONE OR MORE OF THEIR APPENDAGES; THE SAIYANS STAND OVER THEIR CONQUERED FOES STRETCHING THEIR MUSCLES AND JOKING WITH ONE ANOTHER WHEN THE ARCOSIAN SHIP COMES DOWN FROM THE SKY; AND LANDS IN FRONT OF THEM, CAUSING DUST TO FLY EVERYWHERE; AS THE SAIYANS RAISE THEIR HANDS TO SHIELD THEIR EYES, THE SHIP’S RAMP LOWERS AND THE GROUP OF ARCOSIANS COMES OUT AND APPROACHES VEGETA’S GROUP>
Arcosian 1: Your services have been most excellent, Saiyans. You are much more powerful than we had thought! <STOPS AND SEEMS TO SMELL THE AIR WITH BOTH ARMS EXTENDED AND ITS HEAD LOOKING UP TO THE SKY; SIGHS> Ah, this will be the perfect New Arcose! I can already imagine where I want to put my summer home… and the pool… oh, and I mustn’t forget the space duck pond…
<THEY REACH VEGETA; ONE ROBED ARCOSIAN SCURRIES FORWARD AND PRESENTS THE CASE OF GOLD COINS; ARCOSIAN 1 DAYDREAMS FOR A FEW MORE SECONDS AND THEN, AFTER BEING TAPPED ON THE SHOULDER BY A FELLOW ARCOSIAN, BREAKS FROM ITS STUPOR AND MOVES FORWARD WITH THE REST>
Vegeta: <LOOKING AT THE COINS> What of the technology? Where are our ships?
<ARCOSIAN 1 CLICKS ITS FINGERS, AND MORE ROBED FIGURES COME FORWARD, HOLDING MORE CASES; WHEN THEY ARE OPENED, THEY REVEAL NEW SUITS OF ARMOR – ARMOR THAT LOOKS LIKE THE MODELS USED IN THE PLANET TRADE ORGANIZATION>
Arcosian 1: Here, take these pieces. This armor will be a tremendous upgrade from what you are currently wearing <GESTURES TO VEGETA’S FUR CLOTHING>. Everything else will be shipped to your homeworld. There will be enough for your current population and more, I promise.
<THE SAIYANS STEP FORWARD AND LOOK OVER THE ARMOR; SOME BEGIN TO PUT IT ON>
Layeeck: <FITTING A CHEST PIECE OVER HIS HEAD> It stretches! And it doesn’t weigh much, either!
Ocra: <FEELING HERSELF IN ONE> These feel weird to me.
Nappa: <HOLDING A PIECE IN HIS HAND> Hey, I don’t need armor! Do you really think anyone could kill me? Heheheh…!
Vegeta: <IGNORING THE OTHER SAIYANS> My species has recently gone through a great and terrible war back home. The cities we are living in are quickly deteriorating, and we won’t be able to sustain our growing population for long. I need more money to finance the rebuilding efforts.
Arcosian 1: <RUBBING HANDS TOGETHER> It always comes back to money, doesn’t it?
Vegeta: Of course. What I was asking is if you are offering more of these types of missions? You have seen how capable my people are. We can conquer any planet you want. I guarantee nobody can stop us. But we need the money…
Arcosian 1: Very well. Consider this an alliance. <THE ARCOSIAN OFFERS HIS HAND TO VEGETA, WHO SHAKES IT; OTHER ARCOSIANS DO THE SAME TO THE OTHER NAMED AND UNNAMED SAIYANS STANDING NEARBY> Return to your home, Vegeta. Our organization will send representatives shortly to discuss this matter with you in full. I assure you, the Saiyans will have many more opportunities to make money, so long as you agree to our terms.
Vegeta: Organization? What organization is that?
Arcosian 1: <TILTS HEAD> Why, the Planet Trade Organization, of course. Haven’t you heard of us before?
<CUTS TO PLANET VEGETA>
<VEGETA’S GROUP HAS RETURNED TO THEIR HOMEWORLD; SOON, PLANET TRADE ORGANIZATION SHIPS ARRIVE; THEY UNLOAD BATTLE ARMOR AND OTHER SUPPLIES; THE CAMERA SHOWS AS SLAVE RACES POUR OUT FROM SHIPS AND THEN SHOWS A TIME-LAPSE OF THEM REFURBISHING PLANET VEGETA’S OLD TUFFLE CITIES INTO PLANET TRADE ORGANIZATION OUTPOSTS, INSTALLING SPACE POD PORTS AND MILITARY TOWERS; ALL OF THE SAIYANS ARE GIVEN PLANET TRADE ORGANIZATION BATTLE ARMOR>
<THE CAMERA MOVES INTO THE KING’S PALACE, WHERE THOUSANDS OF ALIENS ARE WORKING ON REPAIRING AND UPDATING THE BUILDING; THE CAMERA THEN MOVES OVER TO TWO ALIENS WHO ARE NOT WITH THE REST; THEY ARE LOOKING AT A TABLE IN THE FAR CORNER OF THE KING’S HALL>
Alien 1: Ah, come on, Gichamu, this stuff is junk. Let’s throw it out.
Gichamu: <HOLDING UP WHAT LOOKS LIKE AN ENERGY RIFLE> Wait! These are not Saiyan creations. They are more elegant, more advanced.
<SUDDENLY, A SAIYAN MOVES FORWARD AND INTERRUPTS THE TWO; HE LOOKS DOWN ON THE TWO ALIENS RATHER COLDLY>
Zorn: Those are old weapons from the Saiyan-Tuffle War. King Vegeta keeps them as trophies, so that he will never forget what we had to overcome to take back our planet.
Gichamu: <PICKING UP A SMALL DEVICE WITH A RED-COLORED SCREEN> What is this one? Surely, it is not a weapon.
Zorn: <SHRUGS> That’s a Tuffle scanner – it’s like a portable radar. The Tuffles used them to track us during the war, but they weren’t very accurate.
Gichamu: Hmm, <HE HOLDS UP THE DEVICE AND STUDIES IT CAREFULLY> most curious. I wonder… with a few modifications…
<THE CAMERA PULLS BACK SLOWLY, SHOWING THAT GICHAMU AND ZORN ARE STILL TALKING; ADDITIONALLY, THE OTHER WORKERS ARE STILL REPAIRING KING VEGETA’S PALACE; THE CAMERA MOVES BACK EVEN FURTHER, OUT OF THE PALACE, AND SHOWS THE LARGE-SCALE BUILDING OPERATIONS GOING ON THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE ROYAL CITY>
<THE TIME-LAPSE CONTINUES; SOME ALIENS REMAIN ON THE PLANET, WHILE OTHERS LEAVE; THE CONSTRUCTION IN THE CITIES IS SHOWN TO BE MOSTLY COMPLETE; THE ALIENS WHO REMAIN ARE SHOWN SETTING UP LARGE BUILDINGS WHERE BABY SAIYANS ARE KEPT; A ROOM FULL OF BABY SAIYANS BEING PUT INTO SPACE PODS IS SHOWN, THEN THE CAMERA CUTS TO SPACE AS MANY SPACE PODS FILLED WITH BABY SAIYANS ARE SEEN FLYING AWAY FROM PLANET VEGETA>
<THE CAMERA THEN TURNS TO A PLANET TRADE ORGANIZATION SHIP HOVERING IN SPACE OVERLOOKING PLANET VEGETA; THE CAMERA MOVES INTO THE SHIP AND SHOWS VEGETA STANDING BEHIND A GREAT WINDOW LOOKING DOWN AT HIS PLANET; THE TWO MOONS OF PLANET VEGETA ARE CLEARLY VISIBLE AND HE SEEMS TO BE WATCHING THEM IN PARTICULAR>
<BEHIND VEGETA ARE THE ROBED ARCOSIANS, STANDING PATIENTLY>
Arcosian 1: With our space pods, Saiyan babies will be taken to distant planets. There, they will grow and become stronger… and when they are ready, they will eradicate all life from the planets they have been sent to. Then we will retrieve each warrior and sell the planet they have cleared for us on the galactic market. It is a simple process.
Vegeta: And what of the ones who die? Not all babies will grow to adulthood.
Arcosian 1: We will send specialized teams to clear those planets. As you can tell, the Planet Trade Organization is a vast empire. We have many species that may aid us in conquering and selling planets. The Saiyans are not our only associates.
Vegeta: Undoubtedly. <HE TURNS AROUND AND FOLDS HIS ARMS> If the deal is official now, I’d like to return to my planet.
<THE ARCOSIANS NOD AND START TO MOVE OUT OF VEGETA’S WAY WHEN A NEW FIGURE ENTERS THE SCREEN>
Alien 2: Wait! <IT RAISES A HAND AND THE ARCOSIANS STOP; TO THE ARCOSIANS> Leave us. <ALL OF THE ROBED ARCOSIANS LEAVE; VEGETA SQUINTS AT THIS NEW ALIEN, WHO IS NOT WEARING THE ROBES OF THE ARCOSIANS; IT IS WEARING PLANET TRADE ORGANIZATION ARMOR AND IT IS QUITE SHORT; IT HAS TWO HORNS AND WHITE, PINK, AND PURPLE SKIN; IT APPROACHES VEGETA CALMLY> It appears we have not met before. <BOWS ELEGANTLY> My name is Frieza. I am the ruler of the Planet Trade Organization. And you are… Vegeta, yes? The king of the Saiyans? <VEGETA NODS; FRIEZA SMILES AND HOLDS OUT HIS HAND TO SHAKE VEGETA’S> Good. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Vegeta. <VEGETA LOOKS AT FRIEZA FOR A FEW MOMENTS AND THEN SHAKES FRIEZA’S HAND, THOUGH HE SEEMS CAUTIOUS ABOUT DOING SO; FRIEZA CLOSES HIS EYES AND SEEMS TO BE SAVORING THE MOMENT; THEN, FRIEZA OPENS HIS EYES AGAIN; HE BEGINS TO WALK OUT OF THE ROOM AND GESTURES FOR VEGETA TO FOLLOW HIM> Come Vegeta, walk with me. There are a few things we need to discuss, and they cannot wait.
<CUTS TO PLANET VEGETA>
<VEGETA IS SHOWN RETURNING TO THE PLANET; HE DOESN’T LOOK AS POWERFUL AS HE DID WHEN HE WAS LAST SEEN; HE LOOKS TIRED, ANGRY, SAD; HE RETURNS TO THE PALACE AND FINDS KUSA; THE TWO EMBRACE AND KISS; KUSA IS STILL QUITE PREGNANT; THE NEXT SCENE SHOWS VEGETA AND KUSA GETTING MARRIED WITH THE SAIYAN ARMIES LOOKING ON; EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE QUITE HAPPY, EXCEPT THE KING, WHO SEEMS TO HAVE A DEAD LOOK IN HIS EYES; THE YEARS PASS, AND VEGETA IS SHOWN HOLDING HIS NEWBORN SON WITH KUSA LOOKING ON, SMILING AND CRYING; THE OTHER SAIYANS ARE SHOWN WITH THEIR NEWBORNS AS WELL; DOGOM AND AUBERE HAVE TWIN BOYS; AUBERE HOLDS ONE, WHILE DOGOM HOLDS THE OTHER; DOGOM’S OLDEST SON, CUBER, IS WITH THEM; CYLERIA AND LAYEECK HAVE A BABY BOY AS WELL AND ARE SHOWN HOLDING HIM, THOUGH CYLERIA HAS A STUBBORN, DEFIANT LOOK ON HER FACE; OCRA IS ALSO SHOWN BRIEFLY SPENDING SOME QUALITY TIME WITH HER YOUNG DAUGHTER, CHAIVA; THEY ALL SEEM TO BE HAPPY>
<THE CAMERA SHOWS THE COMPLETELY UPDATED CITIES NOW UNDER FULL PLANET TRADE ORGANIZATION CONTROL; THE TUFFLE RUINS ARE GONE; NOW, NEW SKYSCRAPERS OF A DIFFERENT DESIGN DOMINATE THE SAIYAN STRONGHOLDS, AND KING VEGETA’S PALACE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE HE WAS USING JUST AFTER THE TUFFLES WERE DEFEATED; SPACE PODS ARE SEEN FLYING TO AND FROM PLANET VEGETA AS THE SCREEN PANS OUT TO SPACE AND SHOWS A MOON MOVING THROUGH THE VOID; AS IT PASSES OUT OF SIGHT, FRIEZA’S SPACE SHIP COMES INTO VIEW AS IT FLOATS IN SPACE, WATCHING PLANET VEGETA BELOW IT>
<CUTS BACK TO THE 736 AGE WITH KING VEGETA AND PRINCE VEGETA FROM THE OPENING SCENE OF THE STORY; IT IS EVENING>
King Vegeta: <BEAMING; PROUDLY> So that’s it, Vegeta. That’s how I united our race and forged an alliance with the Planet Trade Organization. What do you think? Are you proud of your father?
Prince Vegeta: <ROLLING HIS EYES> That’s not the whole story.
King Vegeta: <SURPRISED> Really? What did I forget?
Prince Vegeta: The part where you bowed down to Frieza and made us his slaves.
King Vegeta: <FACE FLUSHES WITH A MIXTURE OF HORROR AND ANGER AND FEAR; HE LOOKS AROUND TO MAKE SURE NO ONE IS LISTENING IN ON THEM> Quiet, Vegeta! Don’t say things like that! We are not slaves! I am the king!
Prince Vegeta: <RAISING HIS CHIN AND LOOKING AWAY> Hmph. I know one thing. When I’m king, I won’t bow down to anyone. Not Frieza, not you, no one! Man, I’ll kill Frieza myself if I have to!
<THE PRINCE STRIDES OUT ARROGANTLY; KING VEGETA WATCHES HIS SON GO; KING VEGETA SHAKES HIS HEAD IN DISBELIEF AND THEN BURIES HIS FACE INTO HIS HANDS; AFTER A FEW SECONDS, KING VEGETA LOOKS BACK UP AGAIN, AND HIS FACE LOOKS MORE TIRED AND OLD AND WEARY THAN EVER BEFORE>
King Vegeta: <SHAKING HIS HEAD; IN HIS MIND> I want to rid ourselves of Frieza as much as my son does, but Vegeta doesn’t realize how delicate the situation truly is. He’s too young to understand. One slip-up, and Frieza will kill us all. He’s that damn powerful. <KING VEGETA LOOKS OUT OF THE WINDOW AGAIN AND WATCHES THE SAIYAN ARMIES MARCH ABOUT OUTSIDE> But my son is no fool. He knows that Frieza is a tyrant. And when he is older, he will try to kill that little alien bastard and set our race free. I can see that desire in my son’s eyes. <SIGHS> Given how high Vegeta’s power level was at birth, I think it may be possible. He’s already stronger than many adults who have trained their entire lives… and he is only four years old. It’s unprecedented. Not even I was that strong at his age. <KING VEGETA WATCHES THE SETTING SUN, ITS ORANGE DYING LIGHT FLICKERING ACROSS HIS PROUD BODY; HE LOOKS OLDER, BUT MORE KINGLY THAN HE EVER HAS BEFORE> My son is the Legendary Super Saiyan. He has to be. He is just too strong to be normal. With the proper training, I am sure his power will grow to surpass even Frieza’s. Then he can set us free once and for all. <KING VEGETA TURNS AWAY FROM THE WINDOW; HIS FACE NARROWS> Vegeta’s training has been subpar so far. His strength has not increased enough to challenge Frieza. I need to intensify his training, but I cannot do it alone. I must find my son some better instructors, and, more importantly, a good training partner who will keep him on his toes. That is the only way for my plan to succeed.
<KING VEGETA CONTEMPLATES THIS AS HE WALKS OUT OF THE ROOM; HE WALKS DOWN A HALL AND THEN TURNS A CORNER; AS KING VEGETA DOES SO, HE SEES THE CAPTAIN OF HIS GUARD, LAYEECK, STANDING THERE, WAITING; VEGETA LOOKS A BIT SURPRISED TO SEE LAYEECK, BUT SMILES WARMLY NONETHELESS>
King Vegeta: Layeeck, my friend, how are you?
<END DRAGON BALL: THE GREAT WAR>
- This chapter was named by me. It's a reference to the planet the Arcosians have the Saiyans conquer for them, which sets off a series of events that leads to the Saiyans' annexation by the Planet Trade Organization. This is one of the few chapter names not renamed from the first draft of the story, though it could have been. From late November through December 2014, I considered changing this chapter's name, and even after it had been posted on January 26, 2015, I considered changing the name. In the end, I didn't have a better name to replace it with and I liked the name it currently had, so I didn't change "New Arcose" to anything else. Of note is that I at one time had a chapter with the very same name in another one of my stories, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Planet Trade Organization. That name was eventually changed to something else, however.
- This chapter was the hardest chapter for me to write in this story and one of the hardest things I've ever written on this site. The reason why it was released so late - January 26, 2015, when I had originally wanted to release it in late December 2014 - is due to a variety of factors. For one, after completing chapter 10, I was kind of done with this story. We'd written the Saiyan-Tuffle War to its conclusion, and this left only an epilogue of cleanup work. It wasn't something I looked forward to writing as much, now that almost all of the fighting was over. Another reason was that school started for me after I finished chapter 10, so I had less time to work on chapter 11. Additionally, this epilogue functioned as a series of scenes more than a single chapter plot, so coming up with all of those scenes (without forgetting any and without adding any that weren't needed) was difficult. It was also difficult finding ways to join the scenes together. Choosing which scenes should have dialogue and which should be shown without dialogue (and also if we should use any montages - which we ended up doing for one scene) proved to be a difficult choice. I remember writing this chapter probably a week before it was released, in totality, and not feeling like it was very good. So I sat on the chapter for a while and read over it several times, revising all of the scenes. The revision process for this chapter took maybe five days, and it was particularly Vegeta's last monologue (more on that later) that made this chapter take so long in revision. After I completed it however, I was quite satisfied with it and was happy to be done with this story.
- The opening scene was heavily influenced by King Kai's history of the Saiyans. I watched a youtube video of it several times to make sure I was not diverging from it at all. The early part of the video focused on the Saiyan-Tuffle War (which I used to help me write the previous chapter), and the second part of the video focused on the Saiyans afterwards as they went to the stars and found the Planet Trade Organization. So the rocket ships mentioned by Vegeta are the same ones shown in the King Kai history to make sure this story is canon-following.
- Vegeta's monologues are both exposition and history for the readers. They give a clear indication of what the Saiyans did after they won their war. I didn't want to show this, because it would have taken several chapters and would have been quite boring. Getting the compact recollection of it from King Vegeta as he tells it to his son was, in my opinion, the best way to do this.
- I wanted to show Cuber sparring with Dogom. HZ didn't add that bit.
- I thought it would be an interesting thing to explore if Vegeta's rule as king wasn't so perfect. There were detractors and those who wanted to fight just for the sake of fighting. The Saiyans are a warrior race after all - they cannot merely win a war and be content. They need to continue fighting. This is the main reason they build space ships and go to other planets (which is what King Kai says too). In canon, this is part of the reason why baby Saiyans are sent off to distant planets just after they are born.
- King Vegeta saying "This was my design" is a reference to Will Graham from the television series, Hannibal.
- King Vegeta ultimately saves the Saiyan race again by having them visit other planets to conquer. This prevents a bloody civil war that would have no doubt killed hundreds of thousands of Saiyans and greatly weakened their collective power.
- I am proud of how we managed to connect the first and second scenes together. Having a montage scene bleed into another is quite difficult to do well, and I think HZ and I managed it with King Vegeta's line about the Arcosians. Then, the story is thrust into a real-time scene, which works rather well.
- If the Saiyans would have shot at the Arcosians, they wouldn't have harmed them. The Arcosians probably would not have killed the Saiyans unless the Saiyans proved to be impossible to talk with.
- The Arcosian calls his homeworld a dump because King Kai calls it exactly that. It's a bit of a nod to King Kai's story about the Arcosians, which was heavy inspiration for all of their scenes in this story.
- In hindsight, it might've been good to have the Saiyans attack the Arcosians at first to destroy their highly arrogant view of their species and to also show how barbaric they are. But the chapter is already quite long and adding in a scene like that wasn't necessary. If this interaction between the Saiyans and the Arcosians/PTO was told over two chapters, I probably would have added such a scene. This is also the reason why Vegeta so quickly agrees. But I did give good reason for this in the chapter - Vegeta needs money to rebuild his planet, which was ravaged by the Saiyan-Tuffle War, and the Saiyans love fighting, so getting paid to do what they love is a no-brainer. Vegeta would think that to be a dream job.
- Vegeta's "proudly, with a thrust of his chin" is a nod to my line in the Fulfillment Saga of The Forgotten, which is: "Ledas: Wewll, I’m Ledas. <BELLIGERENTLY WITH A THRUST TO HIS CHIN> Who the heck are you?". This line itself is a reference to Ozymandias' introduction in the novel When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (more on that in the TF FS anthology).
- The description of the battle, aliens, and planet in scene 3 are identical to what is portrayed in King Kai's history about the Arcosians. Afterwards, when the Arcosians give the Saiyans their rewards, that is also identical to what King Kai's history showed, though it is obviously expanded to show additional Saiyan and Arcosian characters.
- The fight against the aliens on New Arcose is the only fight scene in this chapter and the last example of us writing for each named Saiyan in battle in the "TGW" style way. I believe HZ wrote his characters' fight scene, but not much else is notable.
- The attacks Layeeck use are a reference to the Super Smash Bros. character his fighting style is slightly based on - Wolf.
- Cyleria's mouth attack is the precursor to Ledas' attack in The Forgotten known as the Adjudicator.
- The Arcosian mentioning the space duck pond is a reference to Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged.
- It was really fun introducing the Saiyans to the Planet Trade Organization armor. When I first watched DBZ, the PTO armor was one of my favorite aspects of the show. I thought it looked so cool. So any plot stuff related to that armor is stuff I truly enjoy writing about.
- While Vegeta initiates the alliance with the Arcosians, they would have made the same offer to him had he not said anything. I had Vegeta initiate it to show how his actions directly led to his species' enslavement and eventual extinction. But this is a subtle distinction.
- I had the other Arcosians shake random Saiyans' hands because in King Kai's history of the Saiyans, a random Saiyan was shown shaking an Arcosian's hand.
- The Arcosians had to be a part of the PTO. This was obvious from their first introduction, and it was made even more obvious after they handed out the armor to the Saiyans. Still, when the Arcosian reveals the organization by name, it still gets me.
- The transition between the babies in space pods being sent to space to Frieza's space ship hovering above Planet Vegeta is rather excellent if I do say so myself.
- We showed Planet Vegeta's restoration through quick scenes primarily because it would take a ridiculous amount of time to show more specific scenes for the repairs and whatnot. Showing general overviews of the PTO coming to the planet, repairing the cities, and giving the Saiyans their tech is more effective than using slower, more detailed scenes.
- The idea for the Gichamu scene came to me when I was writing chapter 9. I was very excited to include it here. I think it's a geat little trivia tidbit showing how scouters became a thing in the PTO. Quite frankly, I could have made this Gichamu story its own one-shot, but I felt it worked better in relation to this story. It's one of my favorite parts of The Great War because of how small it seems in the narrative, but how important it is to the actual Dragon Ball universe.
- I had Zorn talk to Gichamu because I figured Zorn was an important dude in the royal palace, considering how close he was to Vegeta in the throne room in Zorn's only anime appearance.
- There is probably some deeper reason I specifically mentioned that Vegeta was watching the two moons of Planet Vegeta from space as he met with Frieza.
- Introducing King Vegeta to Frieza was a big moment in this story. It has direct consequences on the future of Saiyan existence. I had fun playing with the subtleties of the scene - with what is unsaid as much as what is said. Frieza savors the moment; Vegeta is cautious and guarded. I don't show the moment Frieza reveals to Vegeta that the Saiyans are a slave race. That is left to the readers' imagination, which amplifies the scene since most readers would know how this turns out anyway. I am glad we were very subtle with this scene, as I think it could get ridiculous if we went too over-the-top or showed too much.
- Additionally, the first half of the prologue of The Forgotten shows a glimpse into their meeting here, revealing a bit more about how King Vegeta was forced to bow down to Frieza. I don't think I needed to retell the same tale here. That said, the two stories work off one another. TGW sets up the scene, and TF shows the scene, giving more depth to TGW's part of it and vice versa.
- It's clear what transpired in the meeting between Vegeta and Frieza just by observing Vegeta's emotional state upon returning to his homeworld.
- I specifically mentioned all of the babies and children the named Saiyans had to show how they are all rebuilding their lives after the end of the Saiyan-Tuffle War. From a cynical standpoint, this scene can be viewed as the fruitlessness of procreation - everyone will die. We know that Frieza will kill the Saiyans and most of those seen in this story will soon die. Still, I think the scene can be read with the view of "hope for the future" as much as it can be read in a cynical way. I do not have a preference for either reading.
- I knew I would show Ledas in this story, one way or another, before we had written a word of The Great War. I opted to go with a nameless cameo in the spirit of Ledas' cameo in In Requiem. I think it's quite effective this way, as it draws attention to him more than if I named him. Having Ledas in the story at all implicitly reveals how Cyleria's and Layeeck's relationship turned out as well. We also namelessly introduced Cuber's two younger brothers Speonitch and Kailon to similar effect.
- The last scene between King Vegeta and his son was what made this chapter take forever to write. I spent the most time revising and tweaking the dialogue for that section. Only as I came close to completing it did I change the date to the 736 Age so this could lead right into The Forgotten. This also meant that I had to change the date in the first chapter of the story (which I did).
- Prince Vegeta is only four years old, but even he can see the sorry state his species is in. They are mere slaves, shadows of their former glory. I think a lot of the Saiyans understand this but are too afraid to speak their mind, fearing that King Vegeta will kill them if they say anything negative about his rule. This puts King Vegeta in a very tough position, as he probably feels the same way as the others - he doesn't want to be Frieza's slave - but he understands that there is no other option if they want to remain alive. Prince Vegeta is too young to realize that rebelling is a hopeless venture.
- Prince Vegeta calling out his father also brings attention to the bias in King Vegeta's story. Clearly, he's telling a favorable history of the Saiyan-Tuffle War to his son, and the fact that the prince catches on to the fact that his father glosses over the deal with Frieza should cause the readers to pause and question some of the other aspects of the story as well. This is intentional; we purposefully made King Vegeta an unreliable narrator.
- I had Prince Vegeta be so arrogant and so obsessed with freeing his species from Frieza's grasp because those were two personality traits that he had in the Bardock special (which, incidentally is kid Vegeta's primary canon appearance).
- Vegeta's huge monologue to himself was the most difficult thing I wrote in this entire story. I can't even remember how many times I revised that. I distinctly remember having every other part of the chapter done and finalized and that single paragraph left unfinished. I remember editing it for days as the rest of the story was ready to be published. I felt tremendous pressure to release the story, since I was ready to be done with The Great War. It was only this single bit of dialogue at the end that prevented me from releasing the chapter in mid January 2015. I do think it turned out well, and it reads very much like a Shakespearian monologue - the pacing very much depends on the actor's movement as he monologues to himself.
- The second part of King Vegeta's monologue is focused on his son's power being indicative of him being the Legendary Super Saiyan - a major plot point in the Prince Vegeta Saga of the The Forgotten. This was added in to keep Vegeta's personality consistent with how it is portrayed in TF. The way Vegeta just says his son is the Legendary Super Saiyan is kind of funny and kind of sad. It's ridiculous in its hopefulness, but there's also something noble about that.
- King Vegeta mentions his son's training has been subpar up to this point. I only had him say that to give reason for him to get the prince a training partner. He dwells on this as his monologue closes, realizing that he will need a strong training partner to bring out the best in Vegeta - to bring out the Legendary Super Saiyan power (clearly) inside him. King Vegeta's obsession with the legend also adds an interesting wrinkle to the opening of TF when he talks with Layeeck. Layeeck has heard a rumor about how the king wants to use his son to take on Frieza. King Vegeta denies this and lies to Layeeck to prevent any rebellious rumors from spreading further. Of course the rumors probably still spread, but they weren't seen as factual.
- The last two lines of the story are the first two lines of the second half of TF's prologue, when King Vegeta and Layeeck meet. I chose to end the story like this to directly tie it into TF. I would have done the same for one of HZ's stories, but there wasn't a good way to do that with what he had written of his stories so far. And, considering HZ does a lot of editing on his stories, often deleting vast portions of them and then re-writing them, I didn't feel like referencing his story at the end of TGW knowing that I might need to delete that reference in the future when HZ re-writes his story. That said, I think the ending is really cool and ties this into TF in an interesting way. The story is bookened by two scenes wher King Vegeta is telling his son about the Saiyans' rise to power. This obviously influences Prince Vegeta, who wants to return to those glory days. It shows the prince how powerful the Saiyans could be, how they fought for their planet, and how they deserved to rule it. In a way, the name of the story - The Great War - could be in reference to the great war that will come as a result of Prince Vegeta learning about the history of his people. There are certain metaphorical meanings for the Saiyan-Tuffle War in relation to the Saiyan rebellion against the PTO that gives the story some subtle meanings to it, but I will not speak on that anymore. It's up to the readers to come to their own conclusions about that stuff.
For my own reference, the chapter word counts are as follows:
- 1: 2673
- 2: 3371
- 3: 4567
- 4: 3530
- 5: 3488
- 6: 3204
- 7: 3261
- 8: 3659
- 9: 4097
- 10: 4819
- 11: 4184
HZ and I did significantly more pre-planning with this story than we did with Cold Vengeance. I think we did a good job on researching the Saiyan-Tuffle War as well as researching (and creating, when there were gaps) Saiyan culture. I particularly enjoy the first three chapters of this story; they remind me of a story of mine that I ended up deleting a long time ago - Into The Howling Dark. Zhukin and Cyleria are my two favorite characters in this story. I am happy with how we portrayed many of the canon Saiyans, especially King Vegeta as he develops as a warrior, leader, and husband to Kusa. We didn't do too much character development for the other named Saiyans, though there was still some important character development for each of them, as we focused most of the extraneous storylines on our own fanon Saiyans. Seeing as The Great War is a prequel to both my and HZ's stories, this was a something we succeeded with. I think the battles are quite good and varied in this story, and the dialogue is pretty good, though it could be said to be the weakness at certain points. I think TGW has a good, thought-out plot that any reader can see if they read a chapter or two. We put a lot of effort into telling a cohesive, yet not excessive tale of the Saiyan-Tuffle War, and I'm happy with how it turned out overall. Our decision to focus in on a few important battles while montaging and giving quick overviews of the rest of the war was a good move, since the war was ten years long. No one wants to read ten years of essentially a stalemate. So the pacing is good too, in my opinion. I think as the chapters went on, we also got way better at opening chapters and doing scene transitions. Overall, I would give Dragon Ball: The Great War an S-.
<---- Part 42
Part 44 ---->