|Alternate names||Riogur, Riga|
|Debut||DBNA Chapter 1: The Mysterious Saiyans|
|Appears in||Dragon Ball New Age|
|Date of birth||732 Age|
|Weight||300 pounds (136kg)|
Rigor (リガー, Rigā) is a fictional original character in the online doujin Dragon Ball New Age. He is the half-brother of Vegeta (though both are unaware of this), and makes his debut in the manga‘s first story-arc as the series’ first major villain during the Rigor Saga. He is the alternate timeline counterpart of Tarble, Vegeta's brother from the main timeline.
Rigor's name is a pun of Rio Grande pepper.
Rigor is a tall, muscular Saiyan with wild spikey black hair that comes down to his shoulders. As a child on Planet Vegeta, Rigor often wore armor and clothing of the Freeza Army. While on Planet Kureon, he wore several variations of Gladiator armor whilst competing in the Gladiatorial Arena. As an adult, he is most frequently seen wearing a dark blue Bebitian Combat Undersuit and boots. Ever since his exile from Planet Vegeta, Rigor has developed dark circles around his eyes due to his insomnia.
As a Super Saiyan, Rigor's hair becomes the standard gold color. Unlike normal Super Saiyans, Rigor's form produces the bio-electrical discharge often associated with the Super Saiyan 2, 3, and 4 forms. His aura and eyes are also crimson red, instead of the usual gold with blue/green eyes.
As a True Super Saiyan 4, Rigor's hair grows to a length similar to that of Super Saiyan 3, and his eyebrows disappear. He develops deep red fur over his body like other Super Saiyan 4's, and his muscles become more engorged. His eyes and aura retain their crimson coloring.
As a Super Saiyan 5, Rigor's fur darkens to a black color, his hair turns gold while remaining the length of his SSJ4 form, and the sclera of his eyes becomes black. The bio-electrical discharge from his body and aura also turns black, and his aura and eyes remain red.
Rigor is introduced as a bitter and vengeful warrior, seeking vengeance against Vegeta for murdering his mother when they were children. Despite his training as an accomplished fighter, he often rushes headlong into brawls without hesitation and thought. His rage often blinds him, causing him to unintentionally place himself into situations where fighters much weaker than himself have gotten the drop on him or even injured him. This single-mindedness is demonstrated during his inital confrontation with Vegeta. Focusing only on the opponent in front of him, Rigor's tunnel vision-like focus allowed Piccolo, and later Goten, to attack him with almost no resistance.
Rigor is incredibly aggressive and cold-blooded in battle, as a result of his upbringing in the Saiyan army and as a Kureon Gladiator. These traits are substatially magnified with each transformation he undergoes, to the point where his Super Saiyan 5 form causes his own wife to flee the battlefield in terror. Since his childhood, he has been reared to be a ruthless, efficient killer. His only signs of compassion are towards his family; his wife Separi, and his children Maseran, Basuko, Roko, Koto, and Savina. Though he is not the most loving father, his children all share a mutual awe and respect for him.
On several occasions over the course of his battle with the Super Warriors of Earth, Rigor conceitedly underestimates his opponents; in the cases of Piccolo, Goten, and Trunks, Rigor was fooled by their lower power levels, believing that them being weaker than him would not allow them to be any challenge to him at all. But, his arrogance allowed them to stand up to him when needed.
Rigor is shown to hold naught but contempt for Vegeta and any who assist him. His resentment towards his own father as the result of the abuse he endured as a child has been projected onto Vegeta. This accompanied with the fact that Vegeta killed his mother has burned a seething hatred of Vegeta into Rigor's mind.
Despite his vicious personality, Rigor is a tenacious warrior. Even when the odds become stacked against him, he pushes onward, feeling the rush of battle and desire to test himself. He seems to allow fights to drag on in order to push the limits of his strength. As demonstrated during his battle with Gogeta, Rigor is invigorated by the thought that Gogeta is strong enough to challenge him, and defies Gogeta to step up their battle. However, Rigor did not exhibit these traits before learning of Vegeta's survival. Before that, Rigor is content with training, does not desire to fight forever, and seemingly enjoys his quiet life on Bebit with his family.
main article: History of Rigor
Rigor is the son of King Vegeta, the result of his union with an Elite Saiyan female named Peppra. Rigor was born on Planet Vegeta the same day and hour as his half-brother, Vegeta. As a child, Rigor displays abilities dramatically close to his half-brother, even winding up in the same attack squad as the Saiyan Prince. During this time, Rigor meets a young female Saiyan named Separi, who becomes Rigor’s only friend, and later lives with Rigor when her parents are apparently killed during a mission.
As time goes on, Rigor's powers develop at an unusually alarming pace, leading Peppra to begin to suspect that Rigor might, in fact, be a Super Saiyan in progress. Peppra confides in the King, who demands that she keep her suspicions secret. When King Vegeta refuses to acknowledge Rigor as his son, Peppra threatens to expose the King's infidelity, which would destroy his credibility and the knowledge of a possible Super Saiyan would draw the attention of Freeza. King Vegeta decides to fix the problem by eliminating both Peppra and Rigor. King Vegeta has Peppra ambushed on another planet by Peppra's own squadmates, and though severely injured, she manages to fight them off and defeat them before heading back to Planet Vegeta. On Planet Vegeta, one of King Vegeta's elites confronts Rigor and Separi in their home. Rigor attempts to fight him off but isn't strong enough. When the Elite injures Separi, Rigor becomes enraged, and unintentionally taps into some of his hidden power, easily killing the assassin. The severely wounded Peppra arrives, and takes Rigor to the emergency pods in the back of her home, loading Rigor and Separi into them. She scrambles the coordinates beforehand, but as she launches the pods, the last thing Rigor ever sees of his world is Prince Vegeta killing Peppra. Several weeks later, the young Rigor and Separi crash land on the Planet Kureon, and are enslaved as gladiators.
From the beginning of his life on the planet, Rigor was plagued by a constant stream of overwhelming opponents in the gladiator arena, which seem to have left a mark on his character. Rigor continues to hold a subconscious hatred against Vegeta and the King throughout the rest of his life, desiring to escape the Planet to seek revenge against them.
From his very first foray in the gladiator arena, Rigor is treated as a force to be reckoned with, utilizing the best of his limited training as a Saiyan warrior. Despite this, Rigor is plagued by insomnia, unable to sleep for long durations due to memories of his mother's death. During his teen years, Rigor becomes a Super Saiyan during one of the nightmares, granting him access to a new spectrum of power and a new key attraction for King Gurin's gladiator bouts.
Injuries he sustains in the arena are healed quickly so that he may compete day after day, forcing him to relive the cycle of Zenkai boosts Saiyans recieve from injury recovery. Under the constant strain of being a gladiator, Rigor's power grows wildly, so much so that he eventually becomes the champion of King Gurin's arena. However, when it becomes clear that Rigor wishes to leave the planet, King Gurin has Separi held hostage and forces Rigor into a gauntlet for her freedom. Though he manages to best the gauntlet, King Gurin renigs on the bargain, instead triggering Rigor's Submission Collar and forcing the Saiyan to watch helplessly as Separi is thrown into a battle with a creature she cannot defeat. Angered, Rigor explodes in a rage, destroying the Submission Collar he and Separi have been hampered with since arriving on Kureon. Rigor uses his full might to slay the beast, only for King Gurin to try and kill him. His reason gone, Rigor makes a bee-line for the King, who engages Rigor one-on-one, but eventually falls to the Saiyan’s might. He and Separi free the enslaved gladiators and opt to leave the planet.
Rigor and Separi roamed the galaxy for a time, eventually discovering that Planet Vegeta had been destroyed. Believing the Prince to be dead, Rigor and Separi soon landed on Planet Bebit, where they took up residence. During this time, they married and had five children: Maseran, Basuko, Koto, Roko, and Savina. At some point during his stay on Bebit, Rigor undergoes training with a thus-far unknown master to utilize the full power of his transformations as well as learning the Super Saiyan 5 form. One day, Rigor hears word of a Saiyan survivor named Vegeta from a deliveryman who had come to Bebit. Realizing that the person he has hated all his life had somehow survived the planet’s destruction, Rigor and Separi departed Bebit for Vegeta’s last known whereabouts, eventually landing on Earth.
Super Saiyan 5 UnleashedEdit
Rigor and Separi arrive on Earth approximately 3 years after Omega Shenron was defeated. Mere moments after meeting Vegeta, Rigor is incensed when Vegeta cannot remember him or what happened the day Rigor left Planet Vegeta. Vegeta and Rigor leave West City and land in a wasteland area, where Vegeta turns Super Saiyan 4 immediately. Despite being in such an advanced state, Vegeta finds himself unable to gain the upper hand against Rigor's power as a True Super Saiyan, his Final Shine Attack doing nothing against him. Piccolo, Goten and Trunks soon join the fray, but even after Vegeta fires his mighty Final Atomic Shine attack, they find that they are relatively little help against Rigor.
Before Rigor can kill the weakened Vegeta and the others, Goku arrives on the scene, along with Gohan and Majuub. After healing Vegeta with a senzu bean, Goku and Vegeta alone challenge Rigor in a battle, only to find that their combined might is still dwarfed by Rigor’s. However, as the fight drags on, Goku begins to notice that Rigor’s strength is beginning to wane. Vegeta and Goku charge and fire a massive Kamehameha/ Final Flash Combo that heavily damages Rigor. Enraged, Rigor goes back on his promise to Separi and transforms into the Super Saiyan 5 once more. Rigor quickly demonstrates his power by killing both Majuub and Goten within moments. Goku and Vegeta realize that Rigor‘s new form is far more than they can handle, so they fuse into Gogeta in an attempt to even the odds.
Despite a valiant effort by Gogeta, he is soon overmatched by Rigor's power. When Rigor attempts to destroy Gogeta using his Final Revenge Cannon, Gogeta counters, but is slowly overwhelmed by the attack. However, Rigor's transformation becomes too much for his body, allowing Gogeta's attack to inflict incredible damage. Rigor miraculously survives the attack, and tries one final time to kill Goku and Vegeta before eventually collapsing from his injuries.
Recuperation on BebitEdit
A month after the titanic battle on Earth, Rigor finally made it to his home on Planet Bebit, where he was treated for his injuries. Kikura, the doctor, commented that he was amazed that Rigor had even survived due to the severity of his injuries, and that it would take more than a month for him to completely heal.
Super Saiyan 5Edit
main article: Super Saiyan 5
As the maniacal Super Saiyan 5, Rigor's strength and speed extraordinarily exceed that of any Super Saiyan form before it, making him both extremely aggressive and powerful. It is the second-most-powerful form of Super Saiyan, surpassed only by Super Saiyan God (and by extension, Super Saiyan Blue).
For Rigor, this transformation maintains a constant flow of energy as a battle is prolonged. As a result, this form requires no ki consumption, and gives Rigor phenomenal strength and speed on par with that of a Super Saiyan God, even before his strength begins to grow.
Rigor is said to be powerful enough in this state to equal, then outclass Super Saiyan God Goku when he fought Beerus, and strong enough at first to "take out Omega Shenron with no problem".
True Super SaiyanEdit
In Chapter 2 of the Definitive Edition, Rigor demonstrated his ability to become a "True Super Saiyan". In this state, his hair grows longer and turns gold, but instead of the usual gold aura associated with normal Super Saiyans, Rigor's aura is a fiery crimson red with a bio-electrical discharge. He also develops red, pupiled eyes (resembling a Super Saiyan God's eyes). In this state, Rigor is shown to be able to fight on equal footing with a full-power Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta, even going so far as to kick a Final Shine Attack into space from a close distance with only minimal effort.
Special Abilities/ TechniquesEdit
- Afterimage Technique, the ability to move swiftly enough that an image of its user is left behind.
- Ki Sensitivity, Rigor is able to sense the ki of his opponents. However, Rigor seems to have less focus in this area than most fighters, as is apparent by his inability to sense the approach of Piccolo and Goten during his fight with Vegeta. He does not seem to possess this ability in the Definitive Edition.
- Scatter Shot, a technique where Rigor launches a powerful energy ball at his opponent's location, forcing them to scatter to avoid the blast.
- Flight, the ability to fly with the use of ki.
- Ki Blast, the most basic form of energy wave. Due to Rigor's astounding power, normal ki blasts have size and power similar to those of full-powered Kamehamehas.
- Final Revenge Cannon: Rigor's most powerful beam attack, charged in a manner similar to the Kamehameha yet shot from only one hand. This technique was apparently taught to Rigor by his mother, as it was her favorite technique. Rigor only uses this technique in his Super Saiyan 5 form, and boasts that the sheer force of this attack is great enough to obliterate a galaxy if not controlled properly.
- Adaptive Strength: As a result of repeatedly becoming injured and healed day after day for years on Planet Kureon, Rigor's zenkai trigger was apparently "broken", and he now demonstrates the ability to increase his strength over the course of a battle. While fighting a stronger opponent and incurring injuries, Rigor's body instinctively reacts and increases his strength and fighting abilities exponentially. The longer a fight drags on, the more powerful Rigor can become. However, this evergrowing strength has the potential to severely damage his body with overwhelming power.
- Rigor's Zenkai is significantly greater than normal Saiyans. His power increases far more than normal, even after injuries that are not life threatening, and to an even greater degree with severe injuries..
Rigor's power, thanks to his becoming a Super Saiyan 5, puts him in a class all his own. In the Bebit Unit-Power System, his base form's maximum power ranks a S++ Class (in comparison to Vegeta's maximum power as a SSJ4, which barely breaks the S+ Class). At his arrival on Earth, Rigor's suppressed power is on a similar level to Goku and Vegeta's. In his True Super Saiyan state, he is said to be more powerful than both Goku and Vegeta's individual Super Saiyan 4 forms at maximum strength, capable of fighting SSJ4 Vegeta and taking his strongest attacks with little to no effort, and then fighting Trunks and Goten (both as Super Saiyans) and Piccolo while maintaining a very controlling advantage. As a True Super Saiyan 4, he can take the full force hit of Vegeta's Final Atomic Shine attack (which boasts a power more than double Vegeta's maximum strength) and battle both Goku and Vegeta in their full powered SSJ4 forms simultaneously, maintain the advantage, and more than capable of dominating the both of them in a fight.
As a Super Saiyan 5, Rigor becomes one of the most powerful opponents the Super Warriors have ever faced. In the Bebit Unit-Power System, his SSJ5 strength (even while weakened) ranks in the Z Class, several Class levels above both Goku and Vegeta. In his prime (and later during the fight with Gogeta), his strength moves into the Z+ Class, putting him on par with Gogeta. The scope of how much stronger Rigor can become after that is virtually limitless thanks to his ability to grow stronger while fighting powerful opponents.
According to Malik, Rigor is said to be on par, if not superior, to God of Destruction Beerus when at his absolute best. In small scale comparisons, Malik has stated that "where Beerus is a 10 and Whis is a 15, Rigor at SSJ5's maximum is a 13".
Rigor has a fighting style that is a potent combination of martial arts and a ground-and-pound style. He is able to overwhelm an opponent with his massive physical strength, and yet is still swift enough to block and dodge any attempt to attack him. His level of martial arts mastery is on par with Goku, as he seems to be able to match him blow-for-blow. Rigor's strength is great enough that he has faced, and nearly defeated, almost all of Earth's Super Warriors single-handedly. He also appears to be more comfortable fighting opponents on the ground.
Armor and WeaponryEdit
Upon his capture on Planet Kureon, Rigor was outfitted with a Submission Collar. The King's soldiers fitted these Submission Collars onto the neck of an individual to make sure they would follow his every command whether it was to serve him as a slave or to fight one another in his gladiatorial games. Resisting only angered the King, and using a control in his gauntlet, he could directly stimulate all the pain receptors in the wearer to cause unimaginable pain, or even death. Even as a Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 4, Rigor could not resist his Obedience Collar until his rage and power overloaded it the day he escaped Planet Kureon. During his years on the planet as a gladiator, Rigor wore Gladiator Armor, though he used as little as possible.
Rigor can be seen in the first arc of DBNA wearing a Bebit Combat Under-Suit. The suit is durable and unrestrictive, covering only vital areas of Rigor's body (chest and upper abdomen, groin and waist, legs, and the upper arms). He also wears two golden gauntlets on each wrist. This combat suit (though covered by sashes and other clothing) is seen later in Chapter 17 on every member of the Bebitian Royal military.
In the Dragon Ball New Age Minisode Series, Rigor is voiced by Jamie Norwood.
Below is a list of the Chapters Rigor has appeared in so far in DBNA.
- Chapter 1: The Mysterious Saiyans
- Chapter 2: My Brother...
- Chapter 3: Vegeta's Last Stand
- Chapter 4: Vegeta's Trump Card?
- Chapter 5: Final Atomic Shine
- Chapter 6: Momentary Peace
- Chapter 7: The Mystery of Rigor's Power...
- Chapter 8: Two Against One! Final Flash and Kamehameha
- Chapter 9: Rigor Transforms! Super Saiyan 5?!
- Chapter 10: Our Last Hope! Fusion!
- Chapter 11: Ultimate Power Struggle! Rigor versus Gogeta!
- Chapter 12: Rigor versus Gogeta part 2
- Chapter 13: The Struggle Ends
- Chapter 14: Separi's Declaration
- Chapter 16: The Secret of the Sage Nameks
- Chapter 17: The Homeworld of Rigor! Planet Bebit!
- Rigor was DBNA creator MALIK’s first original character, and was created in 2001 when he was still in high school. MALIK proclaims that Rigor is what made him want to do DBNA in the first place.
- Rigor, so far, is the only Saiyan shown being able to become a Super Saiyan 5. MALIK addressed this saying, “I’ve read so many Dragon Ball fan mangas, an they are just flooded with so many other Super Saiyan transformations, its almost nothing anymore. I wanted to make a transformation to work for, something near impossible to obtain, just as the first Super Saiyan transformation was for Goku and Vegeta. To hold it on a pedestal that not everyone can reach”.
- As an adult, Rigor is notable as one of the few pure-blooded Saiyans who does not wear the battle jackets worn by Freeza and his men. He did, however, wear the jackets as a child, as seen in the History of Rigor Specials.
- Rigor's portrayal in DBNA has altered significantly from its initial print to the current draft. Initially, Rigor is portrayed as a jealous, bitter killer with no real motive against Vegeta other than to prove he's better. As his character's backstory developed, he became more of a tragic figure, driven into his madness and power by the misdeeds of his family, desiring vengeance against Vegeta for the murder of his mother.
- Rigor is notable as one of the few villains in the Dragon Ball Universe to have no desire to collect and use the Dragon Balls, or to conquer the planet/universe.
- Due to his astronomical, near-god-like power, Rigor has sometimes been called "The Ultimate Super Saiyan" or "The Messiah Saiyan" by fans.
- The "Berserker Hero" Saiyan from Dragon Ball Heroes and Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi bears an uncanny resemblance to Rigor when he was a teenager. This is an incredible coincidence as Rigor was designed years before the Berserker Hero.
- Despite his overwhelming strength later in life, Rigor and Vegeta were both born with an identical Power Level of 538, marking them both as Elite-Status Saiyans.
- With the exception of his father and half-brother, all of Rigor's blood relatives are named after Chili Peppers. His mother is named after Peppers themselves, himself after Rio Grande and Goronong Peppers, his oldest son after the Serrano Pepper, his second oldest after the Tabasco Pepper, his daughter after the Red Savina Pepper, and his two youngest after the Rocoto Pepper.