"Come then, if you think you have what it takes to kill me."
Karasuma (烏丸, Karasūma), more commonly referred to as simply Kara (殻, Karā), is the son of Princess Akemi and the grandson of King Vocado. Since birth, he has been second in the line of succession to the throne of the Vegeta Royal Family after his mother. He appears to be the latest of the Legendary Super Saiyans of Universe 7, demon warriors who appear once every thousand years.
He was diagnosed with a rare genetic mutation as an infant which causes him to grow increasingly stronger with each passing second. Because of this, Karasuma is classified as an abnormal (アブノーマル, abunōmaru)—an abomination among Saiyans. As such, he was shunned, ostracized and feared by members of his own race throughout most of his childhood.
Despite the fact that Karasuma often fights as a supporting protagonist, he is widely considered to be an anti-hero by most part of the series due to his troubled upbringing.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Biography
- 4 Power
- 5 Abilities
- 6 Voice actors
- 7 Battles
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Karasuma has onyx eyes, jet-black hair with center-parted bangs that extended to his jawline and pale skin. Like all pure-blooded Saiyans, Karasuma inherited a long, prehensile Saiyan tail with brown fur.
When first introduced as a six-month-old child in Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!, he had short smooth hair kept well-groomed. He wore a dark blue sleeveless jumpsuit with white gloves and boots and an amulet bearing the red Vegeta Royal Family Crest on it. In Dragon Ball Super, Karasuma grew in height and wore a tan shirt, a red belt, and dark blue pants with white boots. He also wore bandages around his wrist.
By late adolescence to early adulthood, Karasuma's hair grew longer with bangs hanging over his face and experienced a considerable growth spurt, matching Goku in height and developing a well-built physique. Although considered handsome by most girls near his age, his facial expression appears stern and cold. His attire consists of a modernized black Saiyan battle armor (regardless of what size-increasing transformation he used, his clothing always remained intact and grew in size with him) with dark purple gloves and skin-tight pants with black boots that have a purple striping at the toes. The armor itself was soon destroyed when he transforms into his Legendary Super Saiyan form.
Personality[edit | edit source]
"What the hell do you know about suffering? It's not like you had a genetic accident at birth that ended up defining who and what you are! What makes you think you know anything about it?! Huh?! I'm suffering now because I still relive every moment of it every day, how on earth could you possibly understand, what it feels like to be labeled an abomination?!"
As a child, Karasuma was a happy child who is extremely independent for his age, eager to please and always ready to fight whenever necessary. He grew up hearing stories of Goku and asked the elder Saiyan to train him. When Goku agreed to take him on as an apprentice, Karasuma swelled with pride and honor.
Because of his status as an abnormal, Karasuma was an individual difficult to pin down by any standard of "good" or "evil" societal norms: because of his diagnosis, he was ruthlessly ostracized, shunned, discriminated against and tormented by members of his own race to the point where he was nearly driven to a mental breakdown at an early age by the cruelty that surrounded him despite Akemi's attempt to protect him. Though he never expected to receive any form of acceptance from his own kind, occasionally he got the chance to see that such things were, indeed, possible for someone like him. Deep down, he didn't understand why such discrimination happened and so he felt lonely due to his status as an abnormal. Although most of the Saiyans feared and despised him, he was able to persevere due to the love that he received from his mother. One of Karasuma's earlier methods of concealing emotional hardship as a child was spending time with his friends and distant relatives residing on the opposite side of the Realm. One of Karasuma's most significant bonds is the one he has with his childhood friend, Pan, whom he has known his entire life.
On his eleventh birthday (the mandatory age requirement for Saiyan military service), Karasuma's faith in his race was utterly shattered when on a reconnaissance mission in the Unknown Regions his fellow Saiyan comrades turned on him and subjected him to cruel experimentation, where he suffered excruciating pain. Upon discovering his own grandfather was the mastermind who gave the order, Karasuma became deeply bitter and disillusioned. From this, he held a lifelong obsession with killing his grandfather and/or against anyone who wronged him until he got the justice he felt he deserved by any means necessary.
As a young adult, Karasuma was largely anti-social, apathetic, and recluse upon the end of his military career, unmoved by and uninterested in what other people do or think of him, choosing instead to keep to himself.
In his Legendary Super Saiyan form, Karasuma is considerably more hostile and dangerous than before. While he would normally hold back so as to test himself (unless severely provoked), he will not hesitate to inflict massive amounts of damage as possible to eliminate his opponents. As Karasuma further taps into his power, the angrier he gets, the more powerful he becomes at an alarming rate. He also appears to be unrestrained along with progressively becoming a more violent, blood-lusting amoral sadist, similar to the film version of his fellow Legendary Saiyan Broly, namely, causing death and destruction to who or whatever gets in his way. For instance, after escaping captivity (albeit leaving a trail of bodies in the process) Karasuma began indiscriminately destroying several planets in the Unknown Regions before proceeding to systematically hunt down those responsible for "hurting him". At some point during his military service, Karasuma learned to focus his power at will, even access his Legendary Super Saiyan state without going on a rampage and soon after focusing that power into a complete state.
Additionally, because of the traumatic events caused by his captivity, the experience left Karasuma feeling psychologically scarred and started him on his path of vengeance.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!![edit | edit source]
Dragon Ball Super[edit | edit source]
God of Destruction Beerus Saga[edit | edit source]
Golden Frieza Saga[edit | edit source]
Universe 6 Saga[edit | edit source]
"Future" Trunks Saga[edit | edit source]
Universe Survival Saga[edit | edit source]
Dragon Ball Z[edit | edit source]
Peaceful World Saga[edit | edit source]
Dragon Ball GT[edit | edit source]
Baby Saga[edit | edit source]
Karasuma is briefly mentioned by Pan while she, Goku, and Trunks return to Earth after collecting the Black Star Dragon Balls.
Power[edit | edit source]
Despite his youth, Karasuma is ranked as one of the most powerful mortal warriors in the multiverse and one of the strongest in Universe 7. Naturally gifted in the art of combat and born as an abnormal with the genetics and transformation ability of the Legendary Super Saiyan, something considered to be both extremely rare and unheard of. His ki was also potent enough to cause Vocado to become wary of him.
- Anime and Manga
As an infant, Karasuma's potential was recorded to have been far greater than Vocado's scores upon the former's birth. Because of this, Vocado - haven grown wary of his grandson's already impressively high power level and abnormality, suspected the boy could one day pose a serious threat to his kingship in the future. During the Peaceful World Saga, Karasuma (at the age of seven) in his base state is already a skilled fighter with extraordinarily high potential, which gradually grew upon having been trained by his mother and Goku for more than three years. During the 28th World Martial Arts Tournament, he was able to hold his own against Uub (the reincarnation of Kid Buu) but soon found himself at a disadvantage once the latter began fighting seriously, forcing him to quickly adapt against his foe; his efficiency, raw strength and speed allowed him to close the gap and fight evenly with Uub. In the anime, he also manages to defeat Akemi in her base form once his prodigious talent and Saiyan traits kicked in - instinctively adapting to his foe to quickly improve his fighting skills and battle tactics, replicating an opponent's technique, and even grow in raw power at an accelerated rate.
By the time he matured into a young adult, Karasuma - upon his return to Earth following the end of his military service - his raw might allowed him to hold his own against enemies of god-like might, standing near to or on the same level as a God of Destruction. He demonstrates his newfound display of growth by casually toying with Uub at a greatly suppressed power level before demonstrating his newfound power by easily dominating his opponent with a barrage of ki blasts before finally rendering him unconscious with just a single chop to the neck—thus ending the fight in a matter of fewer than three minutes.
Similar to his counterpart and fellow Legendary Saiyan Broly, Karasuma's raw physical power, durability, and ki are seemingly limitless. However, the differences between them was that Karasuma's speed, agility, and reflexes were the most distinguished skillset and he even received proper training from Goku at an early age to learn how to effectively control his power, making him a highly dangerous opponent if confronted.
He can generate ki blasts and beams without the need to use stances, firing them from his body or his mouth, making him more unpredictable and dangerous.
- Statements by guidebooks and authors
As an abnormal, Karasuma's power continues to increase with every passing second at an alarming rate and grows even more powerful the more he fights.
Vocado once admitted that his grandson's power far surpassed his own when he was Karasuma's age.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Flight – The ability to fly with the use of ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Ki Sense – The ability that allows the user to sense ki and power levels.
- Saiyan Power – A genetic trait that continually lets a Saiyan increase in performance against adversity, either by recovering from great injuries or enduring great struggle in battle. Karasuma's Saiyan Power is likely superior to that of the average Saiyan as Vocado and Akemi notes that Karasuma grows more powerful with each passing second, as well as Goku noting while training him that Karasuma was getting stronger after ascending into his Super Saiyan C-type form.
- Heat Resistance
- Energy Shield - A technique used to generate an energy shield around the user to protect them from attacks.
- Pressure Point Attack – Karasuma is highly proficient in using Pressure Point Attacks to stun, incapacitate, and in some cases, kill his opponents.
- Regeneration/Healing Factor – Karasuma is shown to have an enhanced healing factor compared to normal Saiyans. Even when suffering agonizing pain, being shot, beaten, stabbed, impaled and brutally tortured, Karasuma was able to endure such physical trauma and heal his wounds rather quickly even while still fighting, pushing his abilities to new peaks in the process.
- Gigantic Breath - First, Karasuma opens his mouth and charges a green energy sphere. Then, he fires the energy sphere from his mouth in the form of an energy wave at the opponent.
- Gigantic Catastrophie - Karasuma fires a mouth energy wave and then several, compact, powerful energy sphere bullets from his left hand. Finally, Broly charges and fires a huge energy wave at the opponent.
- Gigantic Full Blast - The user starts by charging an energy sphere in their hand(s). Then, they draw their hand(s) forward and fire the energy sphere in the form of an energy wave at the opponent, inflicting a great amount of damage.
- Energy Blade – Karasuma channels his ki to his hand by flattening it out with all fingers next to each other leaving no gaps between them and creates a thin beam of dimensional energy.
- Blaster Meteor – First, the user forms an Energy Shield around his body. Then, he brings his hands apart to each side and releases many powerful energy blasts that home in on the target, inflicting a massive amount of damage.
- Planetary Fission – Karasuma's version of the Eraser Cannon.
- Trap Shooter – Karasuma fires a cluster of green ki blasts at his opponent. Used against Uub.
- Great Ape
- Main article: Great Ape
- Pure Progress
- Main article: Pure Progress
Voice actors[edit | edit source]
- Japanese: Mutsumi Tamura (kid; DBZ and DBZ Kai), Noriaki Sugiyama (teen/young adult; DBGT)
- FUNimation dub: Sarah Natochenny (kid; DBZ, DBZ Kai, DBS), Johnny Yong Bosch (teen/young adult; DBGT)
Battles[edit | edit source]
- Dragon Ball Z
- Karasuma (Base/Pure Progress) vs. Uub
- Dragon Ball Super
- Karasuma vs. Akemi (training; anime only)
- Post-Dragon Ball Z
- Karasuma (Base/Pure Progress) and Uub vs. Goku (Base/Super Saiyan 2/Super Saiyan God)
- Karasuma (Super Saiyan C-type) vs. Frieza (Final Form/Golden Frieza)
- Dragon Ball GT
- Karasuma (Base/Wrathful State/Super Saiyan C-type) vs. Uub vs. Goku (Base/Super Saiyan God/Super Saiyan Blue/Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken)
- Karasuma, Trunks, Pan, and Goku vs. Imeckian Soldiers
- Post-Dragon Ball GT
- Karasuma (Base/Wrathful State/Super Saiyan C-type/Legendary Super Saiyan/Legendary Super Saiyan 2/Base) vs. Vocado (Base/Super Saiyan God/Super Saiyan Blue/God of Destruction Mode/Autonomous Ultra Instinct/Base)